PDA

View Full Version : Starting back into the hobby.... Something seems missing

BLARGAG!!!
27-09-2011, 23:13
Hello again folk of WarSeer!

It has been a good long while since I have done anything GW related, and a good sight longer since I have posted anything on here, so first off I'd like to say that I am happy to be back.

I started playing at the end of 3rd edition 40k and took a hiatus, pretty much, from the release of 5th edition 40k. I have collected many different armies in this time, but the one that has stayed closest to my heart has been the Sisters of Battle.

As you all very well know Sisters have had the same, METAL, models for pretty much forever. So I was VERY surprised when I went to the GW online store and discovered that metal models were no longer being produced, and had been, henceforth, replaced with the "Citadel Finecast" range of RESIN minis.

Call me old school, but I really prefer metal models. It adds a weight, aside from the obvious physical weight, to the model that I just don't get from plastics or resins. I don't think the Marneus Calgar model (just an example, first big used-to-be-metal model that jumps to mind) is nearly as imposing if u can blow the model over. That, practically, half pound of pewter was satisfying to put on the table and u felt the loss when u had to lift that giant metal model off the table when he died.

I know there have been a billion metal vs plastic threads over the years, and I'm not trying to start one of those. I am just a (kinda) old timer wondering where his beloved metal models went.

TL;DR
What happened to metal models? I miss them!

Thanks for the read. Feel free to comment.
BLARGAG!!!

Schmapdi
28-09-2011, 00:46
Not every metal model is finecast yet. None of the sisters you were eyeballing have been for instance. Unless it has a finecast background on the site it's still metal.

BLARGAG!!!
28-09-2011, 01:42
I already own a vast sisters army. I am just griping at the demise of my old friend the metal model. (by that same token, I don't, and now may never be able to own, a metal Marneus Calgar model like I was mentioning earlier ;) )

Also, the "yet" in your post implies that, while they are still metal for now, they may yet get turned into resin casts instead.

Tarliyn
28-09-2011, 01:49
Anything that makes my models easier to put together and subsequently keep together I am in support off. For me personally metal models have always been a pain And I welcome resin. :)

MarcoSkoll
28-09-2011, 02:10
In before "Take it to the official Finecast thread".

Yes, metal is being phased out in favour of resin. Long story short:
1) Depending on who you listen to, it's either a cost saving measure (in response to much the price of tin has risen in the last few years) or an attempt to increase the quality of models.
GW is claiming a fairly high mould attrition rate that actually makes resin more expensive to them than whitemetal, but whether you believe that is up to you.

2) Finecast quality assurance and quality control are both proving to be rather sketchy. Names like Failcast and Finecrap are plentiful.

3) After their marketing, they're not going to be rushing to bring metal back.

4) Opinions are generally high in both directions.

5) There are a lot of people who are rather fed up of the metal vs. resin arguments resulting from #4 and, bearing in mind #3, who are just accepting that this is the way things are now.

That's the basics of it.

Marauderk
28-09-2011, 02:53
I have to agree i like the feel of metal much better.

Duke Georgal
28-09-2011, 02:59
I prefer to play with metal, but I prefer to work with resin or plastic.

I am so confused.

eldargal
28-09-2011, 06:33
Price of tin:

August 2001: 3929.45 per metric ton
August 2011: 24,056.73 per metric ton

Peak April 2011: 32,347.69 per metric ton

Prices in USD, source here (http://www.indexmundi.com/commodities/?commodity=tin&months=120).

Tin is the main component of white metal. GW are changing to resin because resin is cheaper and far less prone to price fluctuations.

Socaddict
28-09-2011, 07:54
Just stick some metal washers or ballast under the bases. Gives you the weight, with none of the downsides.

Nuada
28-09-2011, 08:19
Just stick some metal washers or ballast under the bases. Gives you the weight, with none of the downsides.

Or you could wear some weighted arm bands (make them out of metal) then get someone to give you a dead arm. It'll make your figures seem heavier.

shelfunit.
28-09-2011, 08:24
Price of tin:

August 2001: 3929.45 per metric ton
August 2011: 24,056.73 per metric ton (612% increase)

Peak April 2011: 32,347.69 per metric ton

Prices in USD, source here (http://www.indexmundi.com/commodities/?commodity=tin&months=120).

Tin is the main component of white metal. GW are changing to resin because resin is cheaper and far less prone to price fluctuations.

Indeed - tin containing models (pretty much all metal ones) are now really far too expensive to manufacture in any great quantities. Making a profit with them to any real extent is now a thing of the past, as a lot of smaller companies who just sell metal models are finding out.

EDIT: Lead has increased in price by (relatively) less than tin, and, if not marketed to children I think should be ok to switch back to from the current white metal :

August 2001 - $483.63
August 2011 - $2,393.07 (495% increase)

EDIT 2: Added in red the % increase to your quote Eldargal, hope you don't mind ;)

Chaos and Evil
28-09-2011, 08:32
What happened to metal models? I miss them!
They're being replaced by cheaper to produce (Also somewhat lower quality) resin models.

GW aren't passing on those cheaper prices to the consumer, however.

eldargal
28-09-2011, 09:30
That's fine, thank you.:)

So you can use lead and produce cheaper miniatures, but you limit your market which is why many companies switched to WM in the first place, GW included. The problem isn't just advertising to children, some countries won't allow lead models/toys to be sold in the countries at all.

Indeed - tin containing models (pretty much all metal ones) are now really far too expensive to manufacture in any great quantities. Making a profit with them to any real extent is now a thing of the past, as a lot of smaller companies who just sell metal models are finding out.

EDIT: Lead has increased in price by (relatively) less than tin, and, if not marketed to children I think should be ok to switch back to from the current white metal :

August 2001 - $483.63
August 2011 - $2,393.07 (495% increase)

EDIT 2: Added in red the % increase to your quote Eldargal, hope you don't mind ;)

Griefbringer
28-09-2011, 09:56
As a practical issue, the switch from metal to finecast took place in late May this year, ie. four months ago.

You can probably find plenty of independent stores that still have metal models in stock. Actual GW stores should no longer have them, though (except for the online store).

DarkMark
28-09-2011, 10:38
And least we forget we can now buy a bunch of fix-it resin products from GW, to help with the Finecast experienceTM. Liquid green stuff does look useful though:p

teheuax
28-09-2011, 11:37
I dont see Sisters going into Finecast. I think they will eventually get their own plastic kit. Just makes sense

Liber
01-10-2011, 02:53
i hate metal as a material.

it breaks easy, it chips easy, its heavy, its expensive, its difficult to build, and impossible to convert/customize.

now that i've gotten all that out of the way, i have good news!

ebay!

you can get all your nice metal models on ebay, now and for years and years to come...metals one bonus feature i would admit too is that it lasts and lasts, and even bad paintjobs can be simply removed and painted again.

unheilig
01-10-2011, 03:16
I hate metal models, so of course I just started a vostroyan apocalypse army.

rodmillard
02-10-2011, 07:38
I dont see Sisters going into Finecast. I think they will eventually get their own plastic kit. Just makes sense

I still think that if they were going to finecast the Sisters range they would have done so when they published the WD codex. But then again maybe not...

Marauderk
07-10-2011, 13:42
I have gotten a couple of good finecast models but most have had problems or the swords and other small items break if you look at them to hard. Do i like the detail on finecast yes but i like that metal models are durable so i am not worried about breaking them moving them around.