PDA

View Full Version : Dark Eldar Small Army Question

AnthonyLR13
28-09-2011, 01:40
Hey yall,

I just picked up a box of 10 kabalite warriors, a Raider and a Ravager. Needless to say i figure they will be used in any pt amount army.

Anyway my question is, could anyone give me some sample 1000 dark eldar armies? kind of just a template of the different viable choices i have.

Im starting to buy the models and put together a 1000pt army to start out with and was wanting feedback from yall on what are some good lists. As i said above a have 10 warriors and a raider to transport them and also a heavy support slot with the ravager, So what are some other good choices and synergys?

lastly in a small point army (1000pt) is it good to just stick with kabalite warriors (shooty) for my troops and have my melee invested say in my elite choices or should i also get some wychs?

thanks yall

Nurgling Chieftain
28-09-2011, 05:16
Welcome to Dark Eldar! The good news is, it's a very flexible codex. There's a lot of good choices, and only a handful of really bad ones (mandrakes, and at low points I'd think twice about any special character other than the Baron).

What you're going to need is another Troops choice and an HQ. The best HQ is probably a Haemonculus. I would also recommend a Wych squad with a raider. A haemie, mounted wyches, mounted warriors, and a dark lance ravager forms an excellent starting place. For 1,000 points, you'll probably want one more Troops choice (any one will do) and then another "toy"; perhaps a razorwing, another ravager, beastmasters, reavers, small unit of incubi in a venom, or trueborn with blasters in a venom.

teheuax
28-09-2011, 05:21
Can also get the battleforce. I find it quite good. Except when the reavers are doing unusually bad with hitting dreadnaughts with the blaster and heat lance. But it gives you two more troops, and a raider. Could split the warrior unit up into two 5 man squads and count them as blaster born, or something

AnthonyLR13
28-09-2011, 05:21
ok thanks nurgling,

would some wracks be a good choice? also in a small point army is it better to go with all warriors for more shooting or to go all wychs for CC or to have alittle of both? what do you think on that?

people say the wychs are used mostly as tarpits but they seem able to hold their own weigth and kill things which is essential what i would want them to do? and also whats the best way to utilize a beastmaster i like the model and the fluff but have no idea which beasts to choose with it and what not? and for my elite choices since it will most likely be a small squad would a venom be a good choice?

AnthonyLR13
28-09-2011, 05:23
yah the battleforce is nice but at this point money is no object i kinda just need more ideas for a good 1000pt starting army mostly?

is webway portal army a good choice at 1000pts? also what about a CC or Shooty focused army? what do yall think

i need as much feed back and ideas as possible :P

btw i have one ravagers for heavy support should i have 2, and what are some good fast attack choices? or should i leave that category out? i basically want the units that synergize the best since it will be a small force starting out? any ideas yall?

teheuax
28-09-2011, 05:28
I would just say be careful with the Cronos. The template weapon killed more of my guys then they did of the enemy. Other then that I dont think there is any real wrong choice in the Dark Eldar book

Archon Deloth Vyrr
28-09-2011, 05:55
You've got a raider, 10 warriors and a ravager, your off to a great start

Get wyches, put them in the raider, grab 2 venoms, split the 10 warriors into 2 groups of 5 and run them with the venoms.

Give the two 5 man warrior squads a blaster each, run the wyches as a 9 man squad with a Heckatrix armed with an Agonizer. For your HQ take a Haemonculi and put him with the 9 wyches.

If you have points left over your going to want to max out your heavy support next. You can run 3 Ravagers if you want to go points efficient. 2 Ravagers and a Razerwing works well too

Nurgling Chieftain
28-09-2011, 05:56
Wracks are a good choice if you have a haemonculus. Put in a couple liquifiers and mount them in a raider.

I think a mix of close combat and shooting is the easiest way to play. However, some people do very well with all shooting, it's just a little trickier, you really want to min-max your firepower if you go that route. Dark Eldar don't really do all-close combat that well.

Wyches can do a lot of things, they're not just a tarpit unit, although they can be pretty good at that. Beastmasters are excellent; generally you'll want 5 khymerae and 4-8 razorwings. Don't bother with the beastmaster weapon upgrades nor the clawed fiend.

Venoms with two splinter cannons are very good.

Webway portals like to have the army centered around them. I would stay away from those lists if you're just starting. They're kind of finicky and can really let you down sometimes.

Ravagers are good long-range anti-tank. One or two is good at 1,000 points. Two if the rest of your army is light on anti-vehicular weaponry. Or, substitute a razorwing.

For fast attack, Reavers with heat lances are flexible hunters of vulnerable units, and frankly really shine at small points values. Highly recommended. Also, beastmasters are a very good close combat unit, as described above. Hellions are best with Baron Sathonyx, I wouldn't take them as a standalone fast attack choice. Scourges are okay, but I'd rather have Reavers.

AnthonyLR13
28-09-2011, 06:08
thanks for all the help, im making up my army list right now and hopefully yall will still be on in alittle bit cause ill post it here and would love some feedback so, ill be back!! with an army list hooray!

AnthonyLR13
28-09-2011, 06:43
ok heres my army list, it comes out to 982 but thats because i havent done any upgrades to the heamonculus's so ill have 18 to work with.

*HQ*

1 Haemonculus [1 liquifier gun] (goes with Wychs) 50
1 Haemonculus [1 Liquifier gun] (goes with Wracks) 50

*ELITES*

*TROOPS*

9 Wracks (1 Liquifier Gun, Acothyst with Scissorhand) 115
Raider (Dark Lance, Night Shields) 70

5 Kabalite Warriors (1 Blaster, 4 Splinter Rifles) 60
Venom (2 Splinter Cannons, Flickerfield) 65

9 Wychs (1 Shardnet Impaler, 1 Hydra Gauntlet, Hekatrix with agoniser) 140

*FAST ATTACK*

1 Beastmaster (5 khymerae, 2 Razorwing Flocks) 102

HEAVY SUPPORT

1 Ravager (Three Dark Lances, Flicker Field) 115

Total Point Value----------------982 pt

i have 18 points leftover to put some arcane wargear on one of my haemonculus what do yall recommend? or should i do somethign else wit hthe 18?

Archon Deloth Vyrr
28-09-2011, 06:48
Your anti-tank is too light.

Drop the beastmaster pack and get a 2nd ravager, you neeeeeeed more Dark Lances to open up tanks, even at 1000 points.

As for what you should give the haemonculi, just liquifier guns on both is usually enough.

Remember, when the wyches get out of the raider to assault, leave the haemonculi on the ship, since he doesn't have fleet he'll slow your wyches down a bunch. He passes his pain token over to the wyches and the Haemi sits on the raider liquifier gunning things.

AnthonyLR13
28-09-2011, 06:50
oh ok kool, really? not enough anti tank? i figured the 3 dark lances on the ravager and the dark lances on the two raiders would be enough?

i really would like to have a fast attack choice, is there any other ways of picking up more AT besides getting another ravager?

also after i get two liquifier guns on both the haemonculus ill have 18 points left over i can use to put some arcane wargear on one of them, what do yall recommend?

The Marshel
28-09-2011, 06:55
wracks count as troops if you have a haemonculus.

AnthonyLR13
28-09-2011, 06:59
oh ok thanks! stupid me i should have noticed that haha

The Marshel do you have any other tips, critiques or suggestions!? they would be greatly apreciated!

btw since i dont have much shooting infantry wise would it be better to drop my beastmaster and pick up some trueborne warriors, and reaver jetbikes?

AnthonyLR13
28-09-2011, 07:17
*HQ*

1 Haemonculus [1 liquifier gun] (goes with Wychs) 60
1 Haemonculus [1 liquifier gun] (goes with Wracks) 60

*ELITES*

*TROOPS*

9 Wracks (1 Liquifier Gun, Acothyst with Scissorhand) 115

9 Wychs (1 Shardnet Impaler, 1 Hydra Gauntlet, Hekatrix with agoniser) 140

*FAST ATTACK*

HEAVY SUPPORT

Total Point Value----------------880 pt

heres the updated army list with taking the beastmaster out, do yall think thats a good idea or should i keep him? and if not what should i replace him with, i noticed i dont have much shooting should i go for some truebornes?
or
Should i get a sizable squad of Reaver Jet Bikes?!!? they seem pretty nifty or since i have 120 points left thatd be just enough for another ravager, idk so many choices

Nurgling Chieftain
28-09-2011, 08:28
I think you've got a very solid start. Reavers, ravagers, and beastmasters are all good choices. At your specific point value, you can afford a ravager, but not a very good reaver squad, nor a proper blasterborn unit, nor a beastmaster unit strong enough to properly support your close combat squads, so a second ravager is probably your best bet. If you decide you'd prefer one of the other options, the Wrack squad doesn't strictly need a Haemonculus of its own, especially at low points values. As you expand past 1,000, consider also adding haywire grenades to the wyches.

AnthonyLR13
28-09-2011, 08:46
ok thanks for the input i gutted my roster since and took your advice (willingly not blindly) i think your right about the wracks i didnt notice the no fleet so how about this i have mucho points to spare so please give suggestions

*HQ*

1 Haemonculus [1 liquifier gun] (goes with incubi) 60

*ELITES*

*TROOPS*

10 Wychs (1 Shardnet Impaler, 1 Hydra Gauntlet, Hekatrix with agoniser) 150

*FAST ATTACK*

HEAVY SUPPORT

Total Point Value----------------645 pt

Mozzamanx
28-09-2011, 12:06
As has been mentioned before, a second Ravager will do you well. You also seem to have a thing for Beasts and so you can get a nice squad in there, plus a batch of Reavers if you like.

Beastmasters- 2 Masters, 5 Khymerae, 2 Razorwings- 114pts
Reaver Jetbikes- 6, 2 Heat Lances- 156pts
Ravager- 105pts

This would put you at 1020pts however, so you'd need to cut something to make it fit. You can either shrink the Reavers down and lose the second Lance, or you could cut a couple of vehicle upgrades (Raiders Nightshield and Ravagers Flicker?).
Also worth noting that your Haemonculus no longer has a squad to ride with. With that in mind you could drop the Wych with Hydra Gauntlet, which is a bit naff anyway, and puts you dead-on 1000pts.

Haemonculus- Liquifier
2x Kabalite Warriors- 5, Blaster, Venom with 2 Splinter Cannons
Wyches- 9, Shardnet/Impaler, Hekatrix with Agoniser, Raider with Nightshields
Beast pack- 2 Masters, 5 Khymerae, 2 Razorwings
Reavers- 6, 2 Heat Lances
2x Ravagers, 1 with Nightshields

As you expand the army, you might like to swap some stuff out and experiment. Perhaps replace the Beasts with Incubi, or a Ravager with a Razorwing.

AnthonyLR13
28-09-2011, 13:55
heres the updated list without the klaivex and your right saves me lots of points, but now i have 46 points to spend, any suggestions?

*HQ*

1 Haemonculus [1 liquifier gun] (goes with incubi) 60

*ELITES*

4 Incubi 88
Venom (2 splinter cannons, Flickerfield) 65

*TROOPS*

10 Wychs (1 Shardnet Impaler, 1 Hydra Gauntlet, Hekatrix with agoniser) 150

*FAST ATTACK*

6 Reavers (2 heat lances) 156

HEAVY SUPPORT

Total Point Value----------------954 pt

AnthonyLR13
28-09-2011, 13:56
also i know i have reavers added i like the model and they seem very fun to use, i was just wondering what are some ways to play them since they can run people over haha, but also be shooty?

btw what about replacing the reavers altogether and adding say

4 beastmasters 6 razorwing flock 5 khymera which is 128

Culgore
28-09-2011, 15:56
The beastmaster units are generally more effective in a list that uses webway portals. If you don't use the portals you have to run your assault unit across the board.

salim786
28-09-2011, 20:25
[QUOTE= For your HQ take a Haemonculi and put him with the 9 wyches.

[/QUOTE]

In my opinon, do not put hamie with wyches as wyches lose fleet.

Nurgling Chieftain
28-09-2011, 20:33
In my opinon, do not put hamie with wyches as wyches lose fleet.The usual tactic is to have the wyches disembark, taking the pain token, while the haemonculus stays on the raider, looking for something to liquify. Notably this does not involve the wyches losing fleet.

AnthonyLR13
28-09-2011, 20:53
ya that it what i was planning on doing, since that is the tactic everyone is mentioning to me, so im going with my 1 haemonculus for HQ to go with my 9 wychs and then 2 5man warriors squads on venoms, and a ravager. But honestly past that im kinda in the weeds, i dont know what to do from here, as i dont know if i need more shooting or more CC or what?

any suggestions to go with those ideas im getting overwhelmed with options haha and people telling me one thing about a unit idea while other people will tell me the opposite :(

this is basically what i have so far in my list and i honestly dont think the 6 reavers will fit in well but again im not sure so i could use some input please

*HQ*

1 Haemonculus [1 liquifier gun] (goes with wychs) 60

*ELITES*

*TROOPS*

9 Wychs (1 Hydra Gauntlet, Hekatrix with agoniser) 130

*FAST ATTACK*

6 Reavers (2 heat lances) 156

HEAVY SUPPORT

Total Point Value----------------781 pt

a1elbow
29-09-2011, 04:06
I don't know why people always say Beasts are better in a WWP list. I think it is the reverse. WWP list benefit from units with long range coming out of them, but Beasts can soak up fire decently well with wound shenanigans (4++, multi-wound-crappy Beastmaster there for Ld which only takes one) and are solid is a non-WWP build.