PDA

View Full Version : Tau empire?

strv
13-04-2006, 10:19
Right, whe nsitting through the boring school today, I got an idea, I first got it some time ago seeing the new tau ethernalThe one to the left (http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=99060113026&orignav=10) (and maybe the middle one as a mage).
And I'm now thinking, what about an warhammer tau race. I have got no fluff about it or anything. but the tau models are to sweet to resist.
My current thought goes around making an 500 points warband, using warband rules ofcourse.
With the woodelfes book. Hooding, and caping, tau plastics up with greenstuff, and using goblin bows,(just because I got loads of them) using kroot for dryads.
I will be having a few of them un hooded, to show the tau heads with out helmets, as many as i can.
Maybe adding those big kroot hounds, as treekin.

What to you think about the idea?

Luke
13-04-2006, 14:17
I think Its a perfect way of representing the TAU's medieval era history. But in whfb? Nah, I dont reckon so. Maybe you could pass them off as civilised beastmen or some sort of underwater frogmen from some buried cathayan city but thats it. It would be interesting to see though.

strv
13-04-2006, 14:30
Yea, I'm not to sure I want them as tau really, the reason for using kroot would be only: They are cool good models, and look quite savage, as to with in with the dryad profile.

I was going to buy the first model today and start of, but the weather looks a little bit rainy, so I'm going to wait.
But I think i have the colour scheme stuck on white, whit possible orange skin for the tau.

Luke
13-04-2006, 14:35
There is a terrific beastman army using kroot figures knocking around somewhere including kroot hounds, gnarlocs and all sorts to represent beast units. I'll try and find it for you.

I think it was themed around either tzeentch or slaanesh.

edit-----

here ya go. No tau but plenty of Kroot
http://gt.us.games-workshop.com/Results_Coverage/Baltimore/WFB/John_Dale/armygallery.htm

Major Defense
13-04-2006, 14:37
I think it has been clearly established (by the gifts from the Albion campaign) that the timeline of FB takes place a long while after 40K. I wonder what happened to the Tyrranids in the time of FB. They're too...swarmy to let anyone wipe them out completely.

Luke
13-04-2006, 14:43
I think it has been clearly established (by the gifts from the Albion campaign) that the timeline of FB takes place a long while after 40K. I wonder what happened to the Tyrranids in the time of FB. They're too...swarmy to let anyone wipe them out completely.

well if you want to believe the rumours that sigmar and belakor were the 2 lost primarchs that would put the whfb 'verse quite early in the 40k universe, a few thousand years after the great crusades. but thats a different story ;)
(lets ignore the glaring factual inconsistancies like the Orcs inability to make machinery and guns and the old ones presence not in fact being millions of years ago but a few thousand etc etc etc)

anyway, everyone knows the two are completly seperate :D

gathering_darkness
13-04-2006, 17:17
There is a similar thread to this one in the 40K forum, it explains the "link" between the two worlds.

Luke
13-04-2006, 18:23
There is ALWAYS a thread or 5 about this and it never gets any less old.

Emresh
13-04-2006, 22:12
Actually, as GW has already stated that they had no interest in doing another human army, and many players would like to see Cathay in the game, that it would be interesting if the race that makes up the Cathayan empire were actually a Tau-like species. The thought never really went past that but it would definately seem to fit.

L-Train
14-04-2006, 01:09
They just announced that they were doing another human army.. along with a new chaos dwarf army.. at Atlanta Games Day.. well thats what I read on another thread somewhere anyway....

Emresh
14-04-2006, 19:00
They just announced that they were doing another human army.. along with a new chaos dwarf army.. at Atlanta Games Day.. well thats what I read on another thread somewhere anyway....

Are you sure you didn't read that wrong? In the rumor round up, the most recent thing is that Dogs of War (Human army) probably wouldn't get an army book (but may get a reworked list) and that Chaos Dwarves were still a long way off as neither is a high priority at this point. Perhaps you could link to the article where you read this to clarify?

Anyway, back on topic (and to keep this from becoming a rumor thread :p ), not that it's likely to happen but what would people think if Cathay did turn out to be inhabitted by a Tau-like species rather than humans?

Gorbad Ironclaw
14-04-2006, 19:24

Not quite. They said the next army would be a human army. And it just so happens that Empire is made of humans...

As for CD, they gave the standard line. They want to do them, but it won't be quite now...

Revlid
14-04-2006, 21:26
Current speculation for Chaos Dwarfs places them around 2009.

Tau would be great as the fish/frogmen of the sunken Lizzie temple-city. Quetzovercoatl?

Cpt. Drill
14-04-2006, 21:40
I am waiting on the fishmen!

Or... in preferance squidmen... but not all of our dreams can come alive!

strv
14-04-2006, 21:53
Well tau looks like fish, kinda, so lets get back on subject.

Mad Makz
14-04-2006, 22:50
You could certainly do it, it'd be an interesting painting project, here are some ideas.

Paint the Tau Helmets that you do see up as either gold or brass, make them 'air suits' kind of like diving bells that the aquatic Tau-like race use to breath on land. Have them come from the far western coast of Naggaroth, along with the Kroot like race (The kroot being land dwelling natives of Naggaroth that the Dark Elves have all but wiped out).

Make the Ethereals spell casters that have developed a magical technique to breath out of water, so you can keep them with their helmets off, while the rest have to keep the helmets on.

The reason the race is so unknown is that obviously they can't field a large force as they only have a limited number of diving suits. The Krrotlike race has been all but entirely wiped out by the Dark Elves, but with the leadership of the aquamen are trying to reclaim some of their lost land.

Use the Wood Elf list, Tau 'aquamen' as the Elves, focus the army on the Kroot who use the rules for tree spirits, who you could give a very native American feel (which they already have somewhat) as the original occupants of Naggaroth.

You could convert the tau to have some sort of staff instead of a bow, that fires a magical torrent of water (counts as Wood Elf long Bow).

Emresh
14-04-2006, 23:13
Hmmm... I still think they'd fit perfectly as the Cathay "race".

RGB
15-04-2006, 00:01
Cathay are human. There's nothing to discuss.

So that probably means they'll never get released as an army book.

Emresh
15-04-2006, 01:06
Cathay are human. There's nothing to discuss.

Hmmm... Is there any official fluff to support that statement? I know that when they did have an army list it was human, but most of that doesn't mean much these days. There is also that proxied army that someone did, but that's hardly official. Maybe it would be better to ask "Is there an current or recent official fluff that says that Cathay is a human realm"? Plenty about dragons and monkeys and even vampires and eshin, but I don't recall having seen mention of humans since 3rd edition or so.... That leaves a lot of room for creativity. ;)

So that probably means they'll never get released as an army book.

I think that's a given. :p

RGB
15-04-2006, 03:44
They are referred to as "people"; this is indicative of humans. The Ogre book indicates they're human as well (where the Ogres serve them and eat them on occasion).

In fact, the lack of ANY mention of their inhumanity pretty much clinches the argument.

strv
16-04-2006, 13:14
Thanks for the ideas, I think I'll do as I started of, possible with jungle bases(southlands). But I need a little help from any W-E players.

Wood a unit of 12'ish glade guards, a highborn(or whatever the hero is named) and tow units of 8 dryads be anough for 500? Or about how many points would it be?

Lord-Warlock
16-04-2006, 13:35
While Cathay is almost certainly human, the Tau would IMHO work perfectly as Nipponese. You can blend in fishman ancestry as much as you want to (perhaps green skin ala Abe Sapien from Hellboy?), combine with Samurai/traditional Japanese imagery, and voila.

- LoW

strv
16-04-2006, 14:14
Monks! Light blue, or white with blue as the shadow, and orange skin.
With possibly some Japanese scripture.
Banner for the tau would be a shoulderpad with the tau mark thing(ring in the upper top of a bigger ring, with a vertical line betwen the lower parts of the ring)
on top of a short or medium pole.

I'm not to much for the Samurai though.

Arduhn
16-04-2006, 23:26
I would use them as chaos personally, mortals (tau as warriors) mixes with beastmen (kroot) ruleswise. Then for background you could do anything. I just think that ruleswise it would be better to do them as chaos because it would be much easier to convert them using close combat weapons like halberds, swords, and such than with bows as would be neccessary for the wood elf idea. Also, chaos armour can take many shapes and forms, the tau armour could easily represent this better than it could imo light armour.

Mad Makz
17-04-2006, 03:41
Actually, Arduhn's got a good idea there. Give them the Nipponese look and the chaos army list and you would have a Cool looking viable army, and one that can more easily fit in the background (Just call them mutated chaos worshipping Nipponese if future background ever specifically states that Nippon is a human state.)

Plus the Tau Armour would work nicely as Chaos armour then, and the helmets wouldn't be a problem at all.

The Kroot could either be Beastmen or Daemons (Naga) depending on how you wanted things to go.

Wickerman71
17-04-2006, 05:08
I feel that there are just some races that don't translate well between the two game systems. Skaven in 40K would look rather goofy; Nids in WFB would just look off. Tau have way to much of an anime feel to them, they would stick out like a sore thumb in WFB.

I think Cathay would be far better off sticking to the whole Shaolin Monk Kung Fu angle if they where to ever get done. This would put them pretty much as a human army with maybe some monkey men to add some fantasy flair.

strv
17-04-2006, 10:46
Well thats some ideas, but I'd rather have an shootie army, and tau doesn't repsresent the warrior statline very good.
I'm not looking for a modeling wise easy way out, as I do want to work with them.

Emresh
17-04-2006, 19:59
The Ogre book indicates they're human as well (where the Ogres serve them and eat them on occasion).

Ah, sadly I don't have the Ogre Kingdoms book yet, so I was not aware of this. Perhaps Nippon, as someone suggested, would be the better candidate then. If this were done, I would be more prone to loosely basing it on early pre-shogunate japan rather than the shogunate period inspired stuff you usually see in games.

Emresh
17-04-2006, 20:10
Well thats some ideas, but I'd rather have an shootie army, and tau doesn't repsresent the warrior statline very good.
I'm not looking for a modeling wise easy way out, as I do want to work with them.

Yeah, if you're going for a southlands inspired force, the woodelf list would be ideal. As for Nippin, you'd probably be looking at the High Elf list (sans Kroot of course; maybe they could be the basis for Ind :chrome: )