PDA

View Full Version : a question about wracks

AnthonyLR13
28-09-2011, 05:25
the Dark eldars wracks seem pretty cool stat and fluff wise, but i dont understand the two poisoned weapons choice? do i choose those myself or are they just two random poisoned weapons or whatever comes with the physical model? can someone clarify that for me?

kargenetic
28-09-2011, 05:53
The poisoned weapons are a pair of closed combat weapons (so +1A) with with Poisoned rule. That's it. Just 2 Poisoned CCWs.

AnthonyLR13
28-09-2011, 05:56
oh ok kool thanks!

for a 1000pt army (to start with) which do you think would be a better elite choice wracks or incubi, and why?

Nurgling Chieftain
28-09-2011, 06:06
Never take wracks as an Elite choice. If you're going to take them, take them as Troops. You can do that by taking a Haemonculus.

Incubi are great at killing space marines. They lack assault grenades, however. (So do Wracks, for that matter.) So, you need to either include an archon with a Phantasm Grenade Launcher, or just be very careful with how you use them.

Of the two... If you've got enough Troops, I prefer Incubi, as they're good at something that Troops choices aren't so good at.

spurker
28-09-2011, 06:59
I'm intrigued by you saying "if you're going to take them" nurgling chieftain. Would you take them? I got bought the dark eldar codex as a gift and am considering starting dark eldar. I was going to go with wyches as troop choices and have no incubi...

AnthonyLR13
28-09-2011, 07:02
well im going with warriors, wychs and wracks (i have a haemonculus in the army) for my troop choices

also nurgling can you go to my small eldar army thread i have posted my army list and would really love some feedback

Nurgling Chieftain
28-09-2011, 08:18
I don't play with Wracks, but it's not because I don't think they're good, but rather because they just don't feel like Dark Eldar to me. No fleet, I4, T4. I prefer wyches. But... Wracks are powerful, with their liquifiers, toughness, pain token, and poisoned attacks.

For the record, I don't think wyches alone are enough. They kind of struggle with things like grey hunters, berzerkers, or blood angel assault marines (would help if I could ever seem to kill the dang priests early - I tabled a Blood Angel player once with a priest as his very last model). I like to back mine up with incubi, but I think beastmasters would work, too, or even just an Archon or Succubus. Wracks and hellions lack the bulk power weapon or rending attacks to chew through things wyches can't, so while they're fine alongside or instead of wyches as Troops choices, they too benefit from support units.

AnthonyLR13
28-09-2011, 08:27
if youd be able to look in my other thread or i can just post it here

*HQ*

1 Haemonculus [1 liquifier gun] (goes with Wychs) 60
1 Haemonculus [1 liquifier gun] (goes with Wracks) 60

*ELITES*

*TROOPS*

9 Wracks (1 Liquifier Gun, Acothyst with Scissorhand) 115
Raider (Dark Lance, Night Shields) 70

5 Kabalite Warriors (1 Blaster, 4 Splinter Rifles) 60
Venom (2 Splinter Cannons, Flickerfield) 65

5 Kabalite Warriors (1 Blaster, 4 Splinter Rifles) 60
Venom (2 Splinter Cannons, Flickerfield) 65

9 Wychs (1 Shardnet Impaler, 1 Hydra Gauntlet, Hekatrix with agoniser) 140
Raider (Dark Lance, Night Shields) 70

*FAST ATTACK*

HEAVY SUPPORT

1 Ravager (Three Dark Lances, Flicker Field) 115

Total Point Value----------------880 pt

this is what i got so far i took my beastmaster out cause other folks were saying it wasnt a wise choice, so im thinking about taking my wychs out and using those points on an elite or fast attack since i have the two 5 man squads of warriors and then the 9 wracks as troops also, whatcha think?

also what other ideas do you have for elites or fast attack? any input or suggestions would be mucho apreciated so check the list out and give me soem comments

Leeman Russ
28-09-2011, 09:46
I've always used Wracks as a cheap Objective-sitter - just pop them on a back-line objective and go to ground whenever they're shot at for a 3+ cover save (with 4+ FNP most of the time). They have a venom which I then send off to harass enemy infantry units.

Your Wych unit isn't quite legal as you've got two Wych Weapons with only 9 Wyches (it's 1 special per 5 models) which means the cost of the unit is lower, as you've added a 10th wych with special weapon.(Unless you don't want the Haemonculus to ride in the Raider with them?)