PDA

View Full Version : new to warhammer (might be noob question)

baileybankai
28-09-2011, 09:41
This is probably a noob question, but i cant understand it in the rulebook. when it talk about supporting attacks it seems like any unit can make them. so a unit of zombies for example with 5 files can attack in 2 ranks and make 10 attacks, if im right? then a hoard adds another so you can fight in 3 ranks?
but then in the fights in extra ranks rule it says units with this can fight in 2 ranks normally, and 3 if theyre a hoard. is this a typo or do i have to have fight in extra ranks to make supporting attacks.
can you explain supporting attacks clearly for me im a little slow at understanding things.

Steam_Giant
28-09-2011, 09:50
You had it right first time. You do not need the special rule to make supporting attacks. I think its a typo.

5x4 Zombies - 10 attacks

5X4 Spearmen - 15 attacks (spears give you extra rank)

10 x 4 Zombies - 30 attacks (horde)

10x4 Spearmen - 40 attacks (horde + spears)

Then the High elves can add an extra rank on top of that. Which is an army special rule, I believe they will receive the "fights in extra ranks" rule you mention.

baileybankai
28-09-2011, 10:16
thanks got a game this weekend and i didnt know if it was worth running a horde of 40 skeleton spearmen or to keep the unit cheap with just hand weapons.

papabearshane
28-09-2011, 11:22
Skellies dont Kill much so Hand weap/Shield would be ok. They are more for tarpiting/Housing your Vamps in.

AMWOOD co
28-09-2011, 17:35
but then in the fights in extra ranks rule it says units with this can fight in 2 ranks normally, and 3 if theyre a hoard. is this a typo or do i have to have fight in extra ranks to make supporting attacks.

You actually misread/misquoted the Fight In Extra Ranks rule. It says a unit will make supporting attacks with 2 ranks (3 in a horde), so it is correct. It is simply specifying that you use the Supporting Attacks rule on pp48-49 to determine the number of attacks and what they can hit.