PDA

View Full Version : 2400pts ewar's Throne of Skulls Lizardmen

ewar
28-09-2011, 13:14
Hi all,

Thought I would post this up on warseer for c&c. I'm off to the Autumn ToS GT in warhammer world in 10 days and have been tinkering with my lists. I'm bored of my traditional GT list, so have gone for something less optimal but hopefully more fun.

Let me know your thoughts:

Slann (350)
BSB, Rumination, Mystery

Old Blood (250)
cold one, crown of command, dawnstone, charmed shield, biting blade

40 Saurus HW&S with full cmd (470)

10 Skirmish Skinks (70)
10 Skirmish Skinks (70)

18 Temple Guard, full cmd, banner of eternal flame, Ironcurse icon (338)

6 Kroxigor (330)

6 Cold One Riders w champ & standard, Huanchi's blessed totem (275)

8 Chamo skinks (96)

Salamander (75)
Salamander (75)

The Old Blood with be run with the cold ones, with the option to charge him out as a roadblock for low strength units, stubborn Ld 9 cold blooded with a 1+ re-rollable save should keep him sticking around for a bit.

Either way, it should be more fun than my usual footslogger list.

tmarichards
28-09-2011, 16:18
Lore of Light on the frog I guess?

If you're going to have Temple Guard with the Slaan you absolutely must have some sort of miscast protection or you can kill virtually the entire unit very quickly. Either Soul of Stone, Cupped Hands (which makes me cry) or the Earthing Rod is virtually essential.

Of course, if you really want to upset people, go with Soul of Stone and Cupped Hands...

Something to perhaps think about- does the Oldblood add more than 2 Scar-Vets? I'm pretty sure the Stubborn Crown in redundant on them, and putting in the 2 Scar-Vets would allow you to tool up the frog a bit more for some nasty combos.

Such as, for example, Bane Head and Feedback Scroll...

In any case, see you there in 10 days, hopefully with my Wood Elves! If they ever arrive...

zielonkak
28-09-2011, 18:25
i agree with using the scar vets...i only ever used my old blood if i threw him on carny.....thats always fun....if you do use him however, i feel that your coldone riders are too few...i would try to make them a little bigger if you could...and def add miscast protection too..

ewar
28-09-2011, 21:21
Should have said, it's lore of Life on the Slann which is where the miscast protection comes in. I've run Cupped Hands enough before at previous GTs, so trying to get a bit of variety in - I've found 3 or 4 dicing Throne first thing in the magic phase means people either let it go to save dice against Skin to stone or dispel it and use a good chunk of their dice.

If it's the latter, I just stick to two dicing the remaining lore spells to minimise miscast chances and use regen where necessary to bring back the TG.

Regarding the cold ones, I was going to run 12 in the first build but I've only got 6 painted and the other 9 I have built haven't got done (new baby stopping painting for 2 months).

The Old Blood is in because the greater item allowance allows both dawnstone and CoC on the same model which can't be done with 2 vets, though I may tinker and swap it about.

The other list I'm thinking of drops the Old Blood and replaces him with:

Scar Vet - cold one, CoC, light armour, great wep, dragonhelm (161)
4 terradons for re-direction war machine hunting (yes, ten more chamos is more effective but I love the terradon minis and it's annoying to have stopped using them since 7th). (120)

I could add a vet on foot with great wep and 5+ ward instead though... will ruminate on this.

halim282
29-09-2011, 12:40
what the....

ewar
29-09-2011, 13:36
what the....

Ummm... anything more to contribute?!

Trains_Get_Robbed
30-09-2011, 06:25
I like it, however I think the Cold One cav. should be naked, and shud be bumped up to seven, an almost throwaway unit (think five naked Dragon Princes, or seven nake Empire knights).

In doing so, it now opens up your Old Blood to join your 40 man unit of Saurus, which are surviable, and pretty killy, but not elite worthy when it comes to c.c, and thus the Old Blood with te Crown and combat rez he will be netting should save them whether they lose or win.

ewar
30-09-2011, 11:26
If you're going to have Temple Guard with the Slaan you absolutely must have some sort of miscast protection or you can kill virtually the entire unit very quickly. Either Soul of Stone, Cupped Hands (which makes me cry) or the Earthing Rod is virtually essential.

Of course, if you really want to upset people, go with Soul of Stone and Cupped Hands...

Such as, for example, Bane Head and Feedback Scroll...

In any case, see you there in 10 days, hopefully with my Wood Elves! If they ever arrive...

Will see you there, perhaps across the table??

As for the ideas put forward, I know where you're coming from but having tried them before I personally find them to not be cost effective. For example for example the sould of stone/cupped hands combo costs 95 points which is a lot! And that is so you can do what? Try to roll Dimensional Cascade and hope you don't roll a 1 on the Cupped Hands? (something I've done about 5 times...)

Also Banehead and feedback scroll is excellent at sniping a level 2, but for 75 points you could take a whole extra unit of chameleons.

So overall I think these combos are great when planning for a game against a specific race (high/dark elves springs to mind) but for a tournament they're too dependent on opponent for their cost, in my mind.

I like it, however I think the Cold One cav. should be naked, and shud be bumped up to seven, an almost throwaway unit (think five naked Dragon Princes, or seven nake Empire knights).

In doing so, it now opens up your Old Blood to join your 40 man unit of Saurus, which are surviable, and pretty killy, but not elite worthy when it comes to c.c, and thus the Old Blood with te Crown and combat rez he will be netting should save them whether they lose or win.

Well, I was originally planning to take 9 cold ones, but time constraints mean the extra minis haven't been painted. I only have the 6 I did back in 7th for flank breaking, so that's the max size.

I was thinking of changing the Old Blood to take for 2 scar vets, here is an updated list:

Slann as above 350

Scar Vet, cold one, Gamblers Armour, Sword of Striking (140)

Scar Vet on foot, Light armour, shield, talisman of endurance, burning blade of chotec (143)

10 skirmish skinks
10 skirmish skinks

40 saurus full cmd

6 cold ones, banner, champ, huanchis blessed totem

6 Krox

17 Temple Guard, flame banner, full command

7 Chameleons

2 Sallies

Total 2399

The vet on foot to go with the saurus horde to add some monster protection and the vet on cold one for flanking and combat res.

thoughts?