PDA

View Full Version : Current Codecies

Vipoid
28-09-2011, 14:56
In my tyranid codex, I recently found a colour scheme I really liked the look of, but found that there was absolutely no advice on how to duplicate such a scheme - not even so much as swatches, telling you what the main colours they used were.

I was wondering if anyone else missed the painting sections in the older codecies? Since (as far as I've seen) they seem to have been completely removed from more recent books.

Korraz
28-09-2011, 15:02
Oh dear god, yes. The painting, the converting, the terrain building, the scenarios, the nutty, optional extra rules... Good times.

Chem-Dog
28-09-2011, 15:25
Actually, no, I haven't missed it. Back in the old days, it was pretty essential I'll admit, but now with the internet, there's a wealth of sources for painting techniques and the like, even GW does a fair amount of this stuff on their site.

Of course, now you mention it, I notice it's absence.....:/

Mit Gas
28-09-2011, 15:34
Why don't you post a picture of that sheme, I'm pretty sure someone here can help you out. There are a lot of very skillful painters around!

Concerning your question: In many cases I found the painting advice in the dexes to be quite lacking. Very basic stuff that anyone could figure out themselves if they cared to think. I personally consider the master class articles the most helpful; while they surely demand more than basic skills, they at least show you how their Eavy Metal stuff is done for real, e.g. the one WD issue about the Space Wolves where they showed how to paint Lucas the trickster or another one where they showed you that Ork Warboss on the boar. That is IMO how you learn to paint and how to achieve some interesting effects. Also there are some painters that do online articles - some of them are amazing and very helpful!

Vipoid
28-09-2011, 15:42
Why don't you post a picture of that sheme, I'm pretty sure someone here can help you out. There are a lot of very skillful painters around!

I'd assumed that posting something from the codex would be a breach of copyright. If not, I'll post it in a separate thread, and see if anyone knows how to achieve it.

Concerning your question: In many cases I found the painting advice in the dexes to be quite lacking. Very basic stuff that anyone could figure out themselves if they cared to think. I personally consider the master class articles the most helpful; while they surely demand more than basic skills, they at least show you how their Eavy Metal stuff is done for real, e.g. the one WD issue about the Space Wolves where they showed how to paint Lucas the trickster or another one where they showed you that Ork Warboss on the boar. That is IMO how you learn to paint and how to achieve some interesting effects. Also there are some painters that do online articles - some of them are amazing and very helpful!

I know that the articles in the older codecies weren't brilliant, but it was still useful to be able to go to any of the colour schemes they exhibited, and immediatly see what colours they'd used.

Delta Echo
28-09-2011, 16:04

Or just give us a Nid dex page number and what picture on that page has the scheme you like.

Vipoid
28-09-2011, 16:17
Or just give us a Nid dex page number and what picture on that page has the scheme you like.

Page 70 - the spinefist gaunt in the middle and to the right.

My main interest is which colour(s) and/or washes they used for the body.

Draconis
28-09-2011, 17:16
The purple/red one? Shouldnt be to hard, but its going to take time.

Primer black. Base coat with GW's foundation paint Hormagaunt purple for the skin, chaos black for the chitin.

Start with the skin, start adding in a light grey to the purple and water it down to 1:1 mixture. This is your first highlight. Keep adding a little grey to every coat making sure you go further and further from the last coat.

Chitin: Chaos black basecoat. Then start with a chaos black/scab red mix, 1:1 then mix that with 1:1 water. Start adding in more red to each coat till its how you like it. In the end, add a very fine line of orange to the outer edge, then orange/skull white on the very edges.

Tongue is chaos black. Then lightning blue with multiple layers. The guns are the easiest part. Horm. purple base coat, then wash in a light red, probably a 10:1 mix water/paint. This is going to be your "feathering" exercise. Wash from the part that attaches to the arm all the way to the gun. This is going to take a long time. Just keep at it, letting each coat dry completely.

Now heres the trick thats goign to make it look good. Take a royal purple, mix it 10:1 water/paint and give the whole skin a wash and let dry. You should not be able to see the purple wash on the skin. Only in the recesses. This will blend your layers together. After that, take badab black and mix 10:1 again and give the whole model a solid wash and let dry. Take your brush and mop up any parts that have excess wash so it doesnt pool.

Vipoid
28-09-2011, 17:34
The purple/red one? Shouldnt be to hard, but its going to take time.

Primer black. Base coat with GW's foundation paint Hormagaunt purple for the skin, chaos black for the chitin.

Start with the skin, start adding in a light grey to the purple and water it down to 1:1 mixture. This is your first highlight. Keep adding a little grey to every coat making sure you go further and further from the last coat.

Chitin: Chaos black basecoat. Then start with a chaos black/scab red mix, 1:1 then mix that with 1:1 water. Start adding in more red to each coat till its how you like it. In the end, add a very fine line of orange to the outer edge, then orange/skull white on the very edges.

Tongue is chaos black. Then lightning blue with multiple layers. The guns are the easiest part. Horm. purple base coat, then wash in a light red, probably a 10:1 mix water/paint. This is going to be your "feathering" exercise. Wash from the part that attaches to the arm all the way to the gun. This is going to take a long time. Just keep at it, letting each coat dry completely.

Now heres the trick thats goign to make it look good. Take a royal purple, mix it 10:1 water/paint and give the whole skin a wash and let dry. You should not be able to see the purple wash on the skin. Only in the recesses. This will blend your layers together. After that, take badab black and mix 10:1 again and give the whole model a solid wash and let dry. Take your brush and mop up any parts that have excess wash so it doesnt pool.

Wow, wasn't expecting it to be that complicated. :p

Still, I'll give it a go with a couple of models.

Delta Echo
28-09-2011, 17:36
Yeah looking at the model, its going to take a lot of time and work to get that result. Its awesome as a one-off model but I can't imagine painting 200-300 Gaunts & Gants like that.

Vipoid
28-09-2011, 17:39
I was thinking that.

Hmm, maybe I'll try it for my broodlord or Prime.

Draconis
28-09-2011, 17:43
Well, there is an easier way : ) Primer black, paint the skin the same horm purple, paint the chitin black/red mix, highlight a little red, nothing major. paint the tongue and teeth. Then take army painter dark mix dipping mix and follow their instructions. Thats how I did my nids. You can see them on the bottom of page 2 of my painting blog below. It gives it the perfect shade/highlights. I used the middle color dip though, but for yours, I'd suggest dark.

To give you an idea of how awesome this stuff is, all I did for my nids was basecoat army painter bleached bone, painted 1 coat of the blue, watered down, drybrushed the pink and then dipped. That was it. It does everything else.

*edit oh and i mixed blue/green for my wings and gave them one watered down coat.

Vipoid
28-09-2011, 17:51
Well, there is an easier way : ) Primer black, paint the skin the same horm purple, paint the chitin black/red mix, highlight a little red, nothing major. paint the tongue and teeth. Then take army painter dark mix dipping mix and follow their instructions. Thats how I did my nids. You can see them on the bottom of page 2 of my painting blog below. It gives it the perfect shade/highlights. I used the middle color dip though, but for yours, I'd suggest dark.

To give you an idea of how awesome this stuff is, all I did for my nids was basecoat army painter bleached bone, painted 1 coat of the blue, watered down, drybrushed the pink and then dipped. That was it. It does everything else.

*edit oh and i mixed blue/green for my wings and gave them one watered down coat.

Well, I might give both methods a try and see which one I prefer. Most of my nids use the leviathan colour scheme, so giving the Tyranid Prime (and maybe a couple of others) that grey/purple skin might be a good way to make them stand out.

A couple more questions (if you don't mind):
In your earlier post, you said to mix purple with light-grey. i was wondering if you had a particular grey in mind?
Also, since some of my models have already been painted with white skin, I was wondering if that would still work ok as a basecoat, with regard to the purple/grey skin?

Delta Echo
28-09-2011, 18:17
I don't claim to be a great painter, but couldn't your replicate the body colors eaiser by using a base coat of Dheneb Stone followed by a wash of Leviathan Purple, or a watered down mix of Warlock Purple?

Lord Damocles
28-09-2011, 18:27
Relatively few codexes actually ever listed the colours used on the sample models.

And where they did they were usually sufficiently simple that the colours could have been guessed at anyway.

Draconis
28-09-2011, 18:32
Well, I might give both methods a try and see which one I prefer. Most of my nids use the leviathan colour scheme, so giving the Tyranid Prime (and maybe a couple of others) that grey/purple skin might be a good way to make them stand out.

A couple more questions (if you don't mind):
In your earlier post, you said to mix purple with light-grey. i was wondering if you had a particular grey in mind?
Also, since some of my models have already been painted with white skin, I was wondering if that would still work ok as a basecoat, with regard to the purple/grey skin?

Any light grey, it depends on the paints you use. In GW colors, it'd be fortress grey or deneb stone. I use vallejo most of the times.

White as a primer is fine. Those foundation paints are made to cover any primer coat anyway.

Whats funny is if you look at the last page of my blog below, you'll see some seekers of slaanesh, I painted them almost the same way in regards to the purple.

Vipoid
28-09-2011, 18:34
Any light grey, it depends on the paints you use. In GW colors, it'd be fortress grey or deneb stone. I use vallejo most of the times.

White as a primer is fine. Those foundation paints are made to cover any primer coat anyway.

Ok, that's great, thanks again. :D

That nid in your blog looked amazing by the way - especially the detail on the wings. I wish I had the skill and patience to paint my models that well.

Draconis
28-09-2011, 18:52
Lol, well, like I said, I didnt really paint that nid all that much. Heres the complete breakdown on that nid.

Primer - Bleached bone.
SKin - Vallejo Night Blue thinned 1:1 with water. Washed over the skin. 1 coat
Wings - Vallejo Night Blue mixed with one of my Vallejo regular greens 1:2 blue/green. Thinned to 1:1 mix with water. Washed 1 coat.

This formula means 1 drop of blue, 2 drops of green, maybe 3, and mix. Then take 3 drops of water or more and mix. Thats it.

Tongue was a pink.

The tribal markings, behind the head and along the tail were warlock purple drybrushed.

Then I dipped the model, shook off the excess and let dry for 3 days. Normally I spray with a dullcoat after the 3 days.

Thats it. Total time on that nid, maybe half an hour of actual painting. I never even touched the Chitin.

gwarsh41
28-09-2011, 19:14
I recently got my hands on the old 4th edition Chaos marines book. HOLY **** IS IT SO AWESOME!! I could not believe how much fluff and sweetness that book had in it. Even removing daemons from the book, it feels like it would be much more fun to play.