PDA

View Full Version : OK 2400 - non-tourney

Slyphor
28-09-2011, 17:51
Hi All,

This is a friendly list, I'm playing and alliance of 1200 points of LM and 1200 points of HE tonight with this, but suggestions for future would be welcome.

Lords

Tyrant (armor of destiny, extra HW) 5+/4++ = 263

Slaughtermaster (lvl 3, hellheart) n/a = 300

Heroes

Brusier (BSB, dragonhide banner, heavy armor) 5+ = 184

Core

10 Bulls (ironfists, M, S, LoG) 5+/6++combat = 345 (Tyrant and BSB go here)

8 Ironguts (M, S, LoG, banner of discipline) 5+ = 419 (SM goes here)

7 Bulls (ironfists, full cmd) 5+/6++combat = 254

Special

4 Leadbelchers 6+ = 172
Ironblaster 4+ = 170

Rare

Gorger n/a = 90

Giant n/a = 200

This is mostly just for fun, and I'm not looking to purchase to improve the army, but I do have 4 leadbelchers, 1 scraplauncher, 3 yhetees, and about 80 gnoblars that could swap in.

thanks for the help!

tmarichards
28-09-2011, 18:31
For all the extra points, Tyrants don't really add that much more than Bruisers, or even another whole unit.

I think you're really missing a Firebelly.

Slyphor
28-09-2011, 19:16
don't I only have ld 8 then? that would make me sad.

Firebelly - duly noted, but as of right now - no more buying stuff. I'm a grad student and my wallet hurts.

zielonkak
28-09-2011, 19:27
just be ready to get shot at a lot...and have some good magic defense...your "pop" should do the rest

tmarichards
28-09-2011, 20:03
Not if you get the general into a unit with the Standard of Discipline for ld9

Gork or Possibly Mork
28-09-2011, 20:18
Isn't an ironblaster rare?

I'd drop the Tyrant. With the SM as general in the Ironguts you've got Ld 9 which is good enough. With the points saved on the tyrant i'd get a firebelly and give the SM a ward of some kind and maybe fencer's blades and the Firebelly a dispel scroll.

I'd drop the giant and get some gnoblars, max 3 sabretusk and with the left over points fill out the bulls or get a small unit of maneaters with AHW, scout and stubborn or maybe a scraplauncher.

Everyone talks about how great the Ironblaster is way better than the scraplauncher and i agree but it's more expensive and a scraplauncher is still good even with the smaller template it's still a tough chariot that comes with a rocklobber.

Morax
28-09-2011, 20:26
Standard of Discipline in a unit of ironguts housing a slaughtermaster is the standard leadership 9 set up. This would keep your high leadership and allow you to drop the tyrant infavor of something like 4 leadbelchers and some gnoblars with a trapper upgrade. Both would add something to the list and gnoblars are fun to run around with.

I think you're really missing a Firebelly.

Perhaps you can explain it to me how this guy brings something worth while to the table beyond being an awesome model.

Vsurma
28-09-2011, 20:39
Hi All,

This is a friendly list, I'm playing and alliance of 1200 points of LM and 1200 points of HE tonight with this, but suggestions for future would be welcome.

Lords

Tyrant (armor of destiny, extra HW) 5+/4++ = 263

Tyrants aren't worth it in optimal lists, for fun sure no worries, take it if you want BUT! if you do take a tyrant then do give him a powerful weapon. It is the ONLY reason for having a tyrant at under 3k points, atm he hits almost as hard as a a 70pt mournfang cav. His weapon is an extra HAND weapon.... not very badass at all. Give him a strong weapon or drop the dude, 263 points for some S5 attacks is not worth it. Go big or go home...its the ogre way

Slaughtermaster (lvl 3, hellheart) n/a = 300

Lv4, you know you want to.

Heroes

Brusier (BSB, dragonhide banner, heavy armor) 5+ = 184

Core

10 Bulls (ironfists, M, S, LoG) 5+/6++combat = 345 (Tyrant and BSB go here)

8 Ironguts (M, S, LoG, banner of discipline) 5+ = 419 (SM goes here)

7 Bulls (ironfists, full cmd) 5+/6++combat = 254

Special

4 Leadbelchers 6+ = 172
Ironblaster 4+ = 170

Rare

Gorger n/a = 90

Giant n/a = 200

This is mostly just for fun, and I'm not looking to purchase to improve the army, but I do have 4 leadbelchers, 1 scraplauncher, 3 yhetees, and about 80 gnoblars that could swap in.

thanks for the help!

I would go with the scraplauncher and more ogres/yhetees over the tyrant, more models, more damage etc.

With a SM as the general in the unit with the banner of dicipline you have ld9 for the army just as you do currently.

tmarichards
28-09-2011, 21:29
Perhaps you can explain it to me how this guy brings something worth while to the table beyond being an awesome model.

Sure, I'll give it a go. My reasoning has 2 main parts.

The first is the Firebelly's flaming attacks and, more importantly impact, hits. Even one wound from these is enough to strip the regen off a unit of Grave Guard, for example, allowing the unit he is with to smash them to bits. Even if the impact hit doesn't do it, he can still use his breath weapon or his attacks (assuming no great weapon) to remove regen as well. Suddenly, Grave Guard, abombs and hydras become much easier to deal with.

There is also what he adds to the magic phase. Gut magic is in the same sort of boat as Shadow magic to a certain extent, in that while it is an awesome lore, it doesn't really have any way to damage your opponent at range. Fireball allows you to use some of your excess dice to deal damage to an enemy unit at range, and will also draw out enemy dispel dice allowing your main mage to get the buffs off you need. Without anyway of doing damage, you don't really apply any pressure to your opponents dispel dice, they're in no direct danger so they can save them to do what they want with them.

Fireball also helps deal with some things that ogres may also struggle to deal with- skirmishers, for example, and Wraiths. 2D6 S4 hits (which you can cast off of 3 dice, 4 if you want to be sure) is a great way of damaging these units. Even if the enemy has none of these, that same Fireball will force your opponent into dispelling it or else lose 4-5 models per turn. That may not sound like a lot, but over 3-4 phases that all adds up, and against Elves that's not an acceptable loss rate.

Fireball is also awesome if there is nothing else to do in your magic phase, and allows you to play defensively- sitting back and chucking out 3D6 S4 magic missiles from 48" can force your opponent into committing.

The last bit is more centred on my views on why a Fire level 1 is so useful to armies that lack much destructive magic, which is certainly true for ogres (personally, I don't see the 6th spell being cast much), but even outside the magic phase he can add a lot as I hope I did a decent job of explaining.

Hope that helped a bit, obviously that's just my opinions though :)

Slyphor
28-09-2011, 22:47
point taken about the tyrant - no more tyrant, which is lame fluff-wise, but sounds fine to me.

looking forward to replacing that. I guess not many people saw my message about not buying any more stuff.

I don't care for the firebelly to be honest.

Mournfang will be joining me...eventually...when I have money. In the meantime, it sounds like I have some stuff to try out - especially trappers, I see them being fun.

Slyphor
29-09-2011, 16:31
you'll all be glad to know that it went well, with victory for the Ogres. Next step - get rid of the tyrant!

Atrahasis
30-09-2011, 09:31
The first is the Firebelly's flaming attacks and, more importantly impact, hits. Even one wound from these is enough to strip the regen off a unit of Grave Guard,

Impact hits don't benefit from any special rules.

tmarichards
30-09-2011, 09:39
Impact hits don't benefit from any special rules.

I think you're thinking of thunderstomps and breath weapons, certainly the FAQ makes no mention of impact hits not getting special rules (unless I've missed a section, in which case please show me so I know for future reference)

Atrahasis
30-09-2011, 10:17
You may be right, and I've been cheating myself.