PDA

View Full Version : How you play the game

karnn
13-04-2006, 11:48
In a local tournament game another player was using kroot mercenaries. Well at the end of the game on turn 6 his kroot master shaper was all that was left, the rest of his army had been decimated (infiltrating next to nids=bad).
At the end of that turn he decides he's going to move his shaper onto a building, posing on the top floor. He then caps a genestealer with his bolt pistol as they scramble up the building. Very theatrical, He fights valiantly but is buried beneath his opponents.
That was a good way to go out, even with a masscre. Sure I could have stood back and blew him apart with my TL-devourer tyrant or just left him alone, instead my entire army diverted itself in a massive swarm and rushed him.
In the end we both thought it was a great way for his HQ to go.

After reading this in another thread i wanted to ask do you do similar stuff to this.
Do you play the game as if it is really happening or do you play it as if its a game.
Do you or anyone you know powergame instead of playing the game for fun. Also put in any Events like that above down. Any heroic acts or anything like this.

lord_blackfang
13-04-2006, 11:58
I generally play to win. But sometimes I do some fun stuff if it can't affect the outcome anymore (either I'm winning or losing by a large margin...)

For example, one time one of my Chaos Marines failed his Last Man Standing test and ran right past my Chaos Lord... who promptly shot his bolt pistol at the fleeing coward (unfortunately the coward made his save, it would have been much cooler if he died...)

Wraithbored
13-04-2006, 12:02
Let's not forget the kick to the rear of a carnifex by a thrall, ehy blackfang? Although the Thrall couldn't hear the fex with t7(it had the exceptional size mutation), But after the wee thrall managed a hefty kick(a 6) and then rolled another (6 to wound) I just had to let him wound and I rolled my armour save which was a 2+ and I promptly failed it. We had a ton of laughs and still brings a smile to my face today.

Kahadras
13-04-2006, 12:05
I usualy play to have a cool game but always keep an eye on winning. A cool game is nice, a cool game with a win is nicer IMO. Still coolness has to come first. If its a one on one combat between a Chaos Lord and my Wolf priest then it has to be done (despite the rather predictable outcome).

Kahadras

Wolf
13-04-2006, 12:17
Once when I was playing a game against a ranger heavy army of Eldar they used their special pregame shots to make my Hive Tyrant start in reserve after he infiltrated a three man squad into a building on my side of the board (opposite side to where my army was). Any way my Hive Tyrant comes in right beside the building full of rangers so next turn I can kill them, in response he guns a Fire Prism so it's over the open-topped building ie. directly over the squad shoots everything at the Tyrant does screw all. During my turn my Tyrant charges the tank and destroys it, it crashes on the squad killing two and next turn my Tyrant charges the remaining one with a bit of overkill wounding four times.:evilgrin:

CrimsonTider
13-04-2006, 12:30
Having fun is what it is all about. And as long as my opponents idea of fun is tasting the crimson colored ceramite of my boot, we will all have a great time!

Seriously, winning is fun, but if winning comes at the price of your opponent not enjoying himself, it is not worth it. We generally play to have fun, and most of our games are full of characterful moments that will make you bust a gut laughing.

The Judge
13-04-2006, 15:33
If I like my opponent, and they have good idea about how to play without being cheesy or obnoxious, I will play a fun game.

If not, I will play as aggresively as I possibly can (with Ulthwe Eldar it's not hard), and make the game a fast win that can be done with quickly. Basically if I'm not enjoying the game because of their actions, I'll make sure I give them a hard game. This doesn't mean I'll treat them bad because something outside of the game put me in a bad mood.

The first couple of turns and set up are usually the time when I decide which way to go with them.

Gaz
13-04-2006, 15:43
Depends on who Im playing. If im playing one of the jumped-up little turds that every store has, Ill be as aggresive as possible (Only one model left? Oh hell, lets waste all my firepower on it). If its against a good opponent, I'll do something fun. Last game I played, all I had was my wolf lord on the board. After turn 6, we decided to keep on playing until he died. in the end, it works out after 18 turns, hell of a lot of lucky dice rolls, and squads of guardsmen being close together, he nailed somewhere in the region of 750 - 800pts. I managed to pass every single saving throw, and if he didnt wipe the squad out (Mark of the wulfen + charge + 2 cc weapons = lots of fun) then my opponent failed his Ld check and they all proceeded to bugger off. All that was left was a Chimera, and I couldnt nail that because it was too far away (the bugger kept racing it in circles and taunting me lol)

Xeres
13-04-2006, 15:58
OOC: Unlike the many "people" here, i play this game for fun, as at the end of the day, that is the point is it not? I find power gaming to be a heretical and will not play against such vile animals, least my purity be infected by there unholy disease.

It does seem that warseer is home to many of these heretical power gamers though but at least i have B&C when the whining here becomes to much.

Thought for the day: Heresy must be met by hatred

lord_blackfang
13-04-2006, 17:25
There was also this one game against Wraithbored where we agreed that my Daemon Prince would kill his Swooping Hawk Exarch in combat (you see, Wraithbored had just converted a new Wraithlord and wanted some backstory about how its soul originally died).

So I had to hold back and not shoot the little winged panzee. Wasn't easy, but I did it, and the combat went as planned.

5upr3m3 h4xx0rz
13-04-2006, 17:26
OOC: Unlike the many "people" here, i play this game for fun, as at the end of the day, that is the point is it not? I find power gaming to be a heretical and will not play against such vile animals, least my purity be infected by there unholy disease.

^Power gamer in denial

******* you and your 3+ save!:angel:

teh_master-chef
13-04-2006, 17:39
WARNING!: This story is not for the faint heart, nor the skeptical. Its also not for people named Steve.

Tau Vs. Tyranids, always an epic match, it takes a skilled tau player to do well. The match was tied at turn 6, and Old One Eye was deep in a squad of Fire Warriors. Destroying the squad, he consolidated preparing to assualt the next squad. The squad, realizing that death stood in front of them, fired every single shot they had, not even hitting Ol Surf and Turf. Old One Eye had one remaining wound. A single gun drone from another squad fired at, hit, wounded, and killed Old One Eye. He failed to regenerate. This was the little Gun Drone that could.

I think I'm going to buy old one eye and model a gun drone on his carcass.

kermit
13-04-2006, 17:53
I think it has to do with how the game is going. If you and your opponent are having fun... laughing... ribbing each other, then the game takes on a whole different perspective.

I remember one game where the guy I was playing and I were having a great game... in the end everything was within 20 points so very much a tie. So we decided the only way to figure out who won was to put our HQs in a head to head duel. The winning HQ would win the game. Unfortunately for him, my HQ was a Grand Master Grey Knight Terminator... 1 wound and a leadership later, I won. We had a very good laugh and it was great fun.

Then on the other side of the coin... like many have said, you go against the annoying kid in the store... you womp him as hard as you can. Don't deny it, it feels good to everyone here!

Corn Berserker
13-04-2006, 18:10
4 years ago it would've been 95% to win, 5 for fun. Now it's more like 80% for fun, 20% to win. After I passed the stage of min/maxing and mandatory 4 heavy bolters in havoc squads I realised I want to play games where at any turn -even as late in the game as 5 or 6 turns- there is still no definate winner.

When a game is in the stage of all units in combat, tanks destroyed HQs at half strength, a player is at his most imaginative and extremely aware that the game can still go either way so will take risks.

Great Harlequin
13-04-2006, 18:10
I generally play to win, but I don't powergame, I make sure my opponent is having fun, even if they're not being particularly friendly. That's what it's about after all.

Even in tournament scenes I tend to give my opponent the oppurtunity to fire a unit at some of my figures if he forgot to do so. I work on the basis that it would've happened in reality, and if I want to prove myself to be a better general than my opponent, then I ought to accomodate this, no matter the outcome. If the game hinged on that shooting phase, and I came out with a win, it wouldn't be a 'real' victory.

I really do pity people who quit as soon as they see an army they really don't think they can beat, especially at tournaments. It's selfish. You're cheating your opponent out of a game which he expected to play, and paid for! The same goes for armies that effectively hide behind terrain for the entire game, as you know whoever moves out first is likely to get splattered. It's stupid.

All the very bestest,

Captain Brown
13-04-2006, 19:09
It is a game, pure and simple. Sometimes after the game over a beer we may laugh about a particularly tough or weak unit/individual, but not much more than that.

Xeres
13-04-2006, 20:42
Harlequin, by going to these so called "tournaments" you are on the road to damnation as many of them are little more than chaos cults with a different name.

Praise the Emperor.

Thought for the day: It is better to die for the Emperor than live for yourself.

hardcastle
13-04-2006, 21:07
i play a bit of both. ( fun/aggressive )

one game i had 1 termi left in the middle of my IG ranks, everything shot at him and he was still alive. so instead of shooting him i fired my basy into the middle of my army to finish the bugger off. If i scattered over 3-4" i would of hit my own guys ( and rolling 2d6 it was going to happen ) i rolled a hit however :)

ReDavide
13-04-2006, 21:35
If I find myself badly beating my opponent, I will continue to pummel him. Lightening up on him out of "pity" or "for fun" (aka condescension) would be insulting to him. I'd rather end a one-sided game on turn 4 than drag it out till turn 6. It will let us both get on to a 2nd game. Sure, HQ vs HQ duels are nifty, but if you really want an HQ-HQ duel, you can set one up perfectly well before the game turns into a rout.

If I find myself losing horribly, I'll continue to have fun by establishing secondary goals for myself: "Sure, I'm gonna get squashed, but I'll take his HQ with me!" That way I have fun accomplishing a self-imposed challenge while still letting my opponent be ruthless.

Getifa Ubazza
13-04-2006, 21:52
when playing against a tau army my space marine army got totally massacred, the last models on the board were his commander and 6 crisis suits and my commander and chaplain.

rather than just give him the win, i sent my 2 HQs into a neer wood and set them up back to back and dared his filthy xeno scum to come and get me, jedi style.

anyway i lost, but it took him a few turns to finally take them down. i think i took out a couple before they died but cant remember, at one point he wasnt sure if he was still going to win.

a great game and a great player to lose to.

i felt this is what my 2 HQs would have done in that situation and forcing him to come in after me gave us a real dramatic end, rather than the firing squad ending we would have had.

hope this is what you were after, have fun.

john

scarvet
13-04-2006, 22:20
well, the game itself should be fun....but it will turn from the fun of out think your opponent to drama. I prefer to win by great tactics and strategies. The outcome of the game usually decided on turn 4, then i will try to have fun: for instance, shooting at the fleeting marine instead of killing something else, and make it a secondary mission; charging the remain razorback with the my full army etc. Those stories are very good when you are playing the same nice person. If that is a jerk or annoying kid(especially the ones who said my army is no efficient), i will smash them good by using my inefficient waste of point army. As those people don't know the rules much, i will be mercilessly pick on them about it and denies any fun them they are going to have.

karnn
14-04-2006, 00:17
One game i used my Orks about 1000 points againt a unfair space marine list about 1200 which had landraider, vindicator, razorback but not alot in marine wise i think a Liberian and command squad and 2 squads of Tactical Marines but anyway.
I lost total loss but i did have fun even if they did have a tank filled army. My boyz ran towards them taking heavy fire but did get into combat with there Tac Marines. Back at the rear of my force my leman russ was destroyed by the land raider but immobilized his Razorback. Now in the end my boyz killed all his Tac Marines apart from his Liberian.
I could have kept my boyz back and i would of had more point but controlled a half of the board but instead i charged foward doing it the Orky way and Though my Warboss was the only one to survive i had fun.

Theadium
14-04-2006, 04:47
I play a fun game as long as my opponent isnt an ass. For example, the last RTT I played in, I was playing against Mech Tau with Chaos. He had 3 hammer heads in a corner of the board, 2 rail heads and an ion head. My 3 obliterators deepstruck right next to them. I shot one down with 3 lascannons, okay. Then for the next turn, I thought I would have fun, and assaulted with them. I could see the behemoths weighing a ton a piece hopping up and down to take down the skimmer. In the end it did die, and we had a laugh. Now another time, different opponent, he asked if I won the round before. I said no, and then he started saying how he won and started making a scene how he won and how he should face someone better. The coordinator laughed and said just play the game knowing what i could do. Now in all fairness, the game before that was against mech eldar, and khorne dont like them. Anyway, his sisters were "wooping" my ass for 3 turns in a row, and he was just laying it on. Turn 4, my bloodthirster comes out, my blood letters come out, my daemon prince assaults some of his seraphin, and my khorne faction assaults his main bunker thing. 75% of his army dropped dead... This was the first time I've ever seen someone give up at an RTT. He thought he had it in the bag, but one turn left him with 2 units left. Just goes to show what a well constructed Khorne army can do...

starlight
14-04-2006, 04:52
I always find a way to play to theme.:D

intellectawe
14-04-2006, 04:57
After reading this in another thread i wanted to ask do you do similar stuff to this.
Do you play the game as if it is really happening or do you play it as if its a game.
Do you or anyone you know powergame instead of playing the game for fun. Also put in any Events like that above down. Any heroic acts or anything like this.

one off games, I play it as a game. Campaign, I play it as its happening.

I dont know anyone who powergames instead of playing for fun. Everyone I know just plays for fun period.

Danny Internets
14-04-2006, 05:05
I like to think of Warhammer 40k (and Fantasy for that matter) as a much more intricate game of chess. Like chess, I am playing because I want a tactical challenge, and as such I play to win. Of course the point of any game is to have fun, but, like with chess, my fun is derived from the challenge. I fully expect my opponent to do everything within the rules to try and beat me--I am genuinely offended when people do not.

I don't need to win to have fun. In fact, my most memorable games are probably the ones I've lost to my old roommate who was a fantastic tactician. I would much rather try my best and lose horribly than try my best and blow someone out of the water because they're using a dumbed-down list or because they thought it would be really funny to charge a 300 point character with no invulnerable save into a full squad of daemonettes so that he can avenge his fallen brethren. Some people like to play the game like they would with army men, which is perfectly fine, but generally I try to steer clear of them.

starlight
14-04-2006, 05:16
*Build* to win the game of toy soldiers.
*Play* to win the game of toy soldiers.
*Try* to win the game of toy soldiers.

But at the end of the game, shake hands and get back to life.:D

karnn
14-04-2006, 23:35
anyone else?

Master Jeridian
14-04-2006, 23:55
*Build* to win the game of toy soldiers

Disagree.

*Play* to win the game of toy soldiers.
*Try* to win the game of toy soldiers.

These are the same, and I agree.

I have seen the outcome of the 'Warhammer Army List' game; we all share cut'and'pasted net lists of the latest power list (most recently IW's and Seer Council). Games are predictable and boring, when a new list comes out we all rigourously scan it for loopholes and killer combos. If these prove to be better than the current uber net list, we all go out and buy it.
Variety dies, 40k stagnates.

I prefer to build an army to a theme, or to include units you find interesting, etc. Then try to win, play to win with this list.

The problem is, if your opponent adheres to Warhammer Army List, he will have a significant advantage- you will lose, you'll feel bitter about, either quit 40k or join Warhammer Army List. And so the vicious cycle gets worse.

BozzyB
15-04-2006, 00:26
I play for fun. I like to win sometimes though, everyone does.

For example, if theres a really important or juice target that my oppent wants to shoot at, and we're laughing and talking about it. He shoots it then something else that is quite major catches our attention (an important combat for example) and then he proceeds to do that dramatic combat. But at this point he realises in his shooting phase he only shot the big target, and completely forgot about everything else in the chaos, I'll gladly let him do the rest of his shooting.

Or if some sort of super character keeps failing his dice rolls for things, I might let him randomly re-roll things. I mean, this game is supposed to be filled with heros, so whats heroic about failing to hit anything?

Personally, the characterful actions (like situations where a cranifex could hold the objective and win, or charge the nearby gaurdsmen and make it a draw) the over-all 'theme' and 'cool' results/events are what make a game fun.

BozzyB

Emresh
15-04-2006, 00:58
Generally (assuming it's not a tournament) I tend to play how I think the army I'm playing actually would fight in the same situation. sometimes this leads me to purposely do something stupid but it's characterful and fun.

Tourneys on the other hand, I play to win (though I still try to make sure everybody has a good time, win or lose).

Master Jeridian
15-04-2006, 17:46
Deliberately putting yourself at a disadvantage, feeding units to your opponent, and doing tactics you know will fail is a bit to far IMO. It's very patronising in most circumstances-

"You suck at 40k, I'll go easy on you"

It makes any win a hollow victory.

"You may have won, but only because I let you"

And it prevents the opponent from learning from his mistakes

"My opponent's will feed my Lord units, so I don't need to worry about getting him into combat"

wischhusen
15-04-2006, 18:44
it appears im very lucky with my gaming commuuity , lol , there is always something funny going on on each table , becouse we are quite a small group 6 , our armies play each other quite a lot meaning there are lots of revenge missions , for instance one game

i couldnt find my oppeenet ,m and was wating then suddenyl i see someone walk in dressed as a witch hunter walk over , and say "maris is backkkkk" lol i spent the whole game shooting everything at this god for saken witch hunter lord ,

crashbang
15-04-2006, 19:38
ah, i love to do these things every so often. heres an example.

black legion vs black templars. the templars had stumbled across the oppurtunity to do on cadia what was deemed impossible.
slay abbadon the despoiler.
we picked our 1500pts armies, and for fluffs sake i took a nice big bodyguard for hi which took up (between them and abaddon) about 1/3 of me points. then i decided to take abbadons personal defiler, and tooled it up with all sorts of cool things.

when the battle came, it was bloody. the marshall, having slain many chaos marnies that day, moved on abbadon, a direct challenge. Abbadon parried his assault, before scything drachnen towards his chest.
That marshall is now consigned to the sarcophagus of a dreadnought in his armies, the marshalls heroic aactions tragically cut short by the abne of the imperium
But now the chosen of chaos was assailed by terminators, who dealt him a wounding blow. enraged, Abbadon consigned their great warrior souls to the emperor.
And now the emperors champion stepped up, his black sword sweeping down and ripping sheer chaos essence out of abbadon. the chaos chamion finally bowed and retreated back to his legion.

nice story, and a fun game

karnn
16-04-2006, 00:05
Do you win most of the time its a fun game?

adreal
16-04-2006, 02:34
Okay, what do I play for, the win or fun......

Fun, easily, why? Well if i play to win, and I loose then my opponent will see that I'm getting pissy and wont want to play me again, so if I play for fun, throwing everything I can into combat as soon as I can, and not worrying how much I get shot up on the way.....well it's all good.

That's not to say I play stupidly, I will use cover for my stealers, but I'm not about to hold them back from any assault. I gave my nids guns for a reason and they will shoot them before assaulting, because it's what they would do anyway (if they were real)

Will I pull the punches if it's thier first game.....No I wont, I may use an army I'm not terribly good with (and as a result lose) but I will try and use that army as good as I can. It's only fair.

If your an annoying piece of......Well I know I wont enjoy the game that much, but I'll still play you, but I wont focus if you don't (happened the other night, kid kept walking away, so I just zoned out in his turns and rolled what he told me)

emperorattack
16-04-2006, 06:59
If your a good player and not a you know what I play to win and have fun

If your a snotty little bugger noob who thinks he knows everything I will anhillate you ASAP

If you are a a nice noob I will show how to play and how the fundamentals work as the game is going along and show you the rules and give alot of hints and tips

I like to do some things for fun like when I have a squad of Guardsman fall back I will order a heavy weapon platoon to fire on them (if I'm losing terribly which I have done)

Toppan
16-04-2006, 16:16
Well, my feral orks are mostly suicidal...i guess i dont do it on purpose exactly but it still happens. Last game my warboss on boar did what he was always good at...charging ahead and dying. Except this time...i charged ahead, Waaaghd, wiped out a dreadnought in one CC phase and won a sweeping advance toward my enemy's sniper unit. They ended up sniping the poor guy...but man...
And another story, same game, my Madboyz have a pigdok named Chuck because i accidently put a space ork body on fantasy legs, so anyway, hes the last member of his squad, all or nothing, my opponent deep strikes his entire assault squad directly onto his sqaud, wipes them out, with Chuck last man standing. They go into CC and holy crap, it was...3 power weapons...2 lightning claws...or something, HE SURVIVES EVERY HIT! WITH A 6+ SAVE! Of course...he got missled at the end...horrible...but...it was awesome!
As orks i play just for fun. I dont care about winning, as long as i have fun losing. Of course ive never won on myself...but have on teams. But yeah...my suicidal orks triumph over all...the only gimp guy i have is my Wyrdboy...he his maybe once with psychic vomit but they all made their saves :P

Sir_Lunchalot
16-04-2006, 21:53
I play primarily for fun. IF I was trying to win games I would not use the army list I have now. That said I do win games, and when I do it's usually because Carrot (platoon commander with powerfist and honorifica) walked through a squad of plague amrines, then broke the chaos lieutennant over his knee. yes that did actually happen! I don't go easy on people, because I really, really hate it when people do that. That said I will do characterful things, such as countercharge with absolutely everything, including the entire command structure fo the army.

I'm starting a new Vostroyan army when the minis come out. This one should be just as fun, buhopefully a bit more competetive than my current Guard list.

Col. Dash
17-04-2006, 06:07
In my old chaos army I had a lascannon marine who missed 4 times in a row. my squad leader used his shot to take the lascannon marine out, the lascannon guy failed his armor save. My opponent didnt complain that the squad had multiple targets. I wasnt exactly winning either, pointwise I think it turned out fairly even.

Pochtecatl
17-04-2006, 07:29
I play very fluffy and light-hearted. Unfortunatly I'm one of the very few that do this at my local gaming store. The majority of the gamers there are power-gamers who don't even bother going beyong putting them together.

It stinks. But, the few times I do play against the people I really enjoy playing, it's a blast.

Exterminatus
17-04-2006, 10:01
I play very fluffy. I dont like tanks, so I usually only field foot troopers SM. I never min / max my units, always take ten men squads.

kane40k
17-04-2006, 10:38
There was also this one game against Wraithbored where we agreed that my Daemon Prince would kill his Swooping Hawk Exarch in combat (you see, Wraithbored had just converted a new Wraithlord and wanted some backstory about how its soul originally died).

So I had to hold back and not shoot the little winged panzee. Wasn't easy, but I did it, and the combat went as planned.

the best combat ive ever had was with a deathwatch librarian on 1 wound + he was surrounded by 16 necron warriors and my allied inquisitor + 5 guardsmen came in and whooped of the necrons (yes they evan failed ther wwb rolls!)! the librarian took another 3 down!!! it rocked!!!!:angel: :evilgrin:

that was a fun game!

Cheitan Shadowless
17-04-2006, 10:52
I play as my opponent plays - I vastly prefer the light-hearted, fluff-appreciating approach with a taste for the odd 'theatrical' event. But if my opponent is the exact opposite, then so will I be, just to give him a run for his money.

One of my mates plays Imperial Guard at the moment, and the few battles I've managed to have against those have been real good fun, with such memorable scenes as when a few surviving guardsmen stumbled out of a burnt-out Chimera, only to be completely encircled by hissing monstrosities that showered them with a barrage of tiny, vicious insects. And the heroic last survivor who charged forward, blasted my last Termagant to bits with a single well-placed bolt, and proceeded to charge into my Carnifex with a "For the Empe-". He was mangled horribly before he got a chance to finish that warcry entirely. :D

HQ-to-HQ battles are one of the simplest, and often also best ways to spice up a game a bit. Agreeing that that Librarian and 'Fex there will duke it out undisturbed, having that Necron Lord fight an angry, wounded Broodlord in a like manner and so forth often makes for exciting little showdowns. :)

karnn
17-04-2006, 11:42
I'D like to thank everyone who has so far posted

Fun games are a good game. I was thinking when ur playing do you controll your army like your commander would do u use ur units how they would act. I don't know anyone who doce. I was thinking would it work i know you play yor army how u think it should be played and how u think there race would fight but do u go against ur own judgement on something u think ur army would do.

EG. A unit of Boyz is within charge range of an enemy hero. U know they only have a small chance to win and will be a total loss of points if they are killed. You don't want to take risk but there orks and orks would fight so u charge then anyway.

High Marshal Trenth
17-04-2006, 15:55
Heck ya I play like that! lol Being black templar and all I am fully aware of the fluff and GLADLY charge anything! "Sir, the blood thirster has just been spotted! what is our orders?(neophyte tim)"Charge!!!!"(high marshal).

Getifa Ubazza
17-04-2006, 19:32
I'D like to thank everyone who has so far posted

Fun games are a good game. I was thinking when ur playing do you controll your army like your commander would do u use ur units how they would act. I don't know anyone who doce. I was thinking would it work i know you play yor army how u think it should be played and how u think there race would fight but do u go against ur own judgement on something u think ur army would do.

EG. A unit of Boyz is within charge range of an enemy hero. U know they only have a small chance to win and will be a total loss of points if they are killed. You don't want to take risk but there orks and orks would fight so u charge then anyway.

Well ders only one of him and ders more dan one of us, so we should win easy den?

In dat case CHARGE! Waaagh.

To answer your question yes, yes and yes with a cherry on top.

I do like to play in character but if my opponent is the type of person that wants a competative game then i wouldnt insult him by playing fluffy.

Lame Duck
17-04-2006, 20:04
I play very fluffy. I dont like tanks, so I usually only field foot troopers SM. I never min / max my units, always take ten men squads.

Just so you know, thats one of the most effective armies you can play.

When I play, I play to win, but I take the game lightheartedly. I'm not going to argue for ages about whether or not a model is on LoS.

I mean, when i would play a REALLY friendly match me and my friends would choose our forces by just putting them out on the table and choosing them a squad at a time, even from each others armies. Then have a three way to the last man. Ok, those games were probably unfair, and even though we dont do that anymore, those were some of the most relaxing (lol) and fun games Ive ever had. But even then, I played to win.

Lu Bu
17-04-2006, 21:51
You should always try to win. If you dont the game gets pretty boring. I played a game yesterday with my Tau v.s. dark eldar. He did not stand a chance from the git go. He tryed to stand and shoot. I told him it would not be a good idea but he did not listen. I took out his entire army with only one fire warrior squad and one pathfinder squad. I like field fluffy but when I play, I play power game. He played how he thoght a dark eldar army should be played. So in conclusion that game sucked because it did not make me think.

karnn
17-04-2006, 22:13
lol

Dark Eldar don't stand there and get shot at thats not how they would act lol. They would get sneak up close and kill in up close.

Lu Bu
18-04-2006, 01:06
Thats what I said. Take a raider atleast.

Toppan
18-04-2006, 02:02
orks are probably the best to have fun with....mostly because no matter what they do they can just shrug it off. of course...i suppose feral orks and blood axes should have tactics for survival/kunning but still...its crazy with the orks
i wonder...ork vs ork battle

Theadium
18-04-2006, 02:51
orks are probably the best to have fun with....mostly because no matter what they do they can just shrug it off. of course...i suppose feral orks and blood axes should have tactics for survival/kunning but still...its crazy with the orks
i wonder...ork vs ork battle
I remember when I played orks, "Dere trees in da way? SPEED BOOSTAS AWAY!" I have seen a feral ork vs. ork game, pretty messed up stuff, more than 200 models on the field all manically charging (some madboyz falling back every now and then, but thats expected). One game I would love to see is Tyranids vs. Tyranids, because in theory, wouldnt the enemies synapse count for you too, since theres only one hive mind?

Xenomrph01
18-04-2006, 04:40
I remember my first game of WH40k I ever played, with my newly-painted Necron army (about 700 points worth at the time). I'd equipped the Necron Lord with wargear to make him essentially invincible (Resurrection Orb, Phase Shifter, Phylacerty) and then intentionally put him in situations where he'd draw lots of heavy fire. My friend and I had the best time doing play-by-plays of the crazy stuff he was having to deal with, like ducking a crack missile, taking a lascannon hit square to the chest, getting knocked on his ass, and then cuing the 'Terminator' theme as he stood back up.

Also semi-on-topic, but I always love doing "heroic" stuff in WH40k: Dawn of War for the PC; I played one 2v2 game once, me as Space Marines allied with an Imperial Guard player, vs an Ork player and a Chaos player. The IG player was wiped out in the first 10 minutes, and so I set up this huge turtle-defense around my base (there was only one way in or out of my base; a narrow, winding valley with several strategic locations littered throughout it). I built up 2 rings of turrets around each strategic location (outer ring was bolters, inner ring was missiles) and spammed Terminators, and basically had a fighting defense all the way back to my base. I ended up losing, but I held off the Orks and Chaos for over an hour, and my 6 squads of Terminators fought to the death and killed over a thousand enemy troops before they finally fell (including 3 Squiggoths and two Bloodthirsters). I fought to the absolute last man, even going so far as to start building Apothecaries to try and defend the base after all my other buildings were blown up. The Orks and Chaos knew damn well that they had been in a fight.
It was the single most amazing game of DoW I've ever had. Losing had never been so much fun.