PDA

View Full Version : Lords Dragon?

Zond
28-09-2011, 20:28
There's a mention in the fluff chapter of Black Crusade that a fallen Magos may have been one of the Lords Dragon, which sounds like the equivalent of the Inquisition for the Mechanicus.

Any further information floating about?

mob16151
28-09-2011, 23:17
Lord Dragons to me sounds like someone with some connection/knowledge of a certain dreaming something on Mars. But this is the first I've ever heard of the term.

Shas'El Camino
29-09-2011, 00:07
I've never heard of them, either. Lexicanum's article (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Lords_Dragon#.ToO0xdTHn9Y) does little more than confirm what you already know, though the page indicates they were also referenced as a side-note in the Dark Heresy Inquisitor's Handbook. If that was, as I suspect, the first appearance of the Lords Dragon, then it's clearly pretty new fluff.

Lord Dragons to me sounds like someone with some connection/knowledge of a certain dreaming something on Mars.

That, too.

Zond
29-09-2011, 03:14
Exact quote is "...near-mythical Lords Dragon who police the Mechanicum from within."

It seemed that perhaps the presence of the C'tan bled over, and so subconciously the Mechanicum has chosen to associate the symbol of the dragon with one of absolute power, thus giving the Mechanicum more of a feel that they are their own seperate sovereign entity, something I feel has been lost from time to time. Then again the connection could be overt.

Iuris
29-09-2011, 06:59
Or maybe just like Ordo Xenos wathces xenos, Lords Dragon watch the Dragon?

Am-heh
29-09-2011, 11:19
+1 Iuris

by the time the Mechanicus was on mars without awaking the dragon or openly fall under his will it seems to me there is people aware of the dangerous monster sleeping under their foot. and these people will keep it secret to avoid external help for the dragon and have to keep an eye on it permanently to avoid his come back.

Zond
29-09-2011, 11:38
If it is just essentially an Ordos Dragon, if you will, I would be severely disappointed, especially as the brief teaser, which I expect FFG will expand upon, hints at nothing of the sort.

Meh, as there's nothing solid out there and I was going to go nuts with it anyway regardless, guess we'll never know until the next book where the mention crops up.

Ordo Hydra
29-09-2011, 12:29
Must have missed that line but the Lords Dragon have been mentioned in Dark Heresy where they are a rumoured group said to police/control the Mechanicus. So, the Black Crusade line seems to be repeating that but saying that the Magos is a fallen member of the group.

As to who they are, I would like to think that they are a cabal of Magos who act as the Mechanicus's Inquisition perhaps who are privy to its darkest secrets and all. Thats speculation on my part though.

CommanderCax
29-09-2011, 12:37
They are members of a secret order, an ancient and powerful cabal of Archmagos of the Collegiate Extremis tasked with policing the Mechanicus itself and keeping it free from corruption and tech-heresy. They are mentioned in Dark Heresy where they sort of rule the Panopticon Orbital (an orbital station within the Lathe system (the sectors major AM presence)).

Zond
29-09-2011, 13:38
Ah, damn you FFG, sometimes your books are too detailed. Are they referenced in the Dark Heresy core book or a supplement?

CommanderCax
29-09-2011, 14:20
If I remember correctly they are mentioned in the Inquisitors Handbook supplement.

All Cing Eye
29-09-2011, 14:25
I seem to remember a different name for an organization that polices the AdMech for techno-heresy but can't remember the name now. It's from regular 40k fluff.

BrotherCaptainS
29-09-2011, 14:35
Or Turn it around Dragon Lords and you have my marine chapter.

Idaan
29-09-2011, 20:07
The relevant quote from Inquisitor's Handbook:

It is
also whispered among the Omnissiah’s faithful that more
ancient and terrible forces than the Skitarii can also be found
in the secret holdfast of the Panopticon Orbital station hidden
at the centre of the Lathes’ treacherous asteroid belts. Here
it is claimed the Myrmidons walk; masters of the mysterious
Ordo Reductor, they are said to be towering and fearful
figures decked out in blood-red and black robes, bearing the
forbidden weapons of a bygone age. Even wilder legends
speak of this place as the home of mech-assassin covenants
and the dread Magister Samadhi – beings who most Magos
consider no more than a dark myth. Some even speculate
that the Panopticon’s rulers are members of a secret order
known as the Lords Dragon, an ancient and powerful cabal
of Archmagos tasked with policing the Mechanicus itself.
Whatever the truth of these tales, the Panopticon is regarded
as a bellicose and dangerous place, and a destination of
perilous pilgrimage for those of the Omnissiah’s faithful who
wish to perfect the lores of weaponcraft. Not all who journey
there return, and those that do are often darkly changed by
the secrets they have learned.
Interestingly, the book also calls AdMech power armour (such as this worn by IG Enginseers) "dragonscale". There's also this:

The Tears of the Dragon
The Adeptus Mechanicus makes extensive use of artificial
psycho-viral infection to condition the minds of their servants
via the use of so-called meme-viruses. The Tears of the Dragon
is the name of one such rare and hazardous agent, used
most often on the elite Skitarii Centurions. Once infected,
the subject falls into a deathly fever, and is confronted with
pre-programmed visions and sense-recordings of the worst
horrors the Mechanicus have encountered in its long history.
Those that survive this meme-virus fever with their minds
intact have conquered fear and the frailties of human sanity.
After infection, the subject must succeed on a Difficult
(–10) Willpower Test or gain 1d10+10 Insanity Points. A
successful Test grants the character the Fearless talent but
permanently reduces his Fellowship by 1d10 points.

Zond
29-09-2011, 20:18
I'd already found the section, but thanks for putting it in the thread for everyone. Was hoping for something... more, but as always, the joy with any setting is going nuts with it.

Malevon
29-09-2011, 20:39
Ah, damn you FFG, sometimes your books are too detailed. Are they referenced in the Dark Heresy core book or a supplement?

If you mean to say that you wanted to interpret it as the Dragon having influence over the Mechanicus rather than the Mechanicus policing themselves from Dragon influence... I think you could still interpret it the first way if you want. I think they throw out enough specifics to inspire GMs/modellers but leave it ambiguous enough so you can do whatever you want with it.

If that's not what you meant, whoops.

Zond
30-09-2011, 23:19
Don't really know what I expected but I'd rather downplay any C'tan connection. It's a bit much sometimes with the Mechanicus. Anyway, as with all backgrounds, I'm free to ignore what I like or just use it as a cool title. :)

Lord Damocles
01-10-2011, 18:27
Don't really know what I expected but I'd rather downplay any C'tan connection. It's a bit much sometimes with the Mechanicus. Anyway, as with all backgrounds, I'm free to ignore what I like or just use it as a cool title. :)
Alternative: Dragons usually sit on piles of treasure in caves.

The Ad Mech guards [technological] treasure(s).

Thus, Ad Mech = dragon.