PDA

View Full Version : Hellion Viable?

Boo Goes the Liche
30-09-2011, 08:54
i was curious if the hellion is at all viable? They are a chea point cost and arent too good or too bad, but i enjoy the model and the skyboard aspect

D503
30-09-2011, 08:58
I think a bunch of them led by the special character is a good addition to most lists - you can get 9 and the character for about 220 points ish (memory fails me), they get decent abilities and are troops, and they can be made from the contents of 2 boxes. Maybe spending another 80 points to make it 14 and the character would be good, but it depends on your list.

As you say, they are not overwhelming, but they are fun and useable, and the models are real beauties.

I wouldn't take too many, as they must be a real pain to transport.

Blink
30-09-2011, 09:02
I'm trying to think of a model in 40k with the name "Hellion", but all that's coming to mind are the flamer RC cars in Starcraft 2.

Ah, DE. Yes, Hellions are viable. You can build lists which have great synergy with them.

Boo Goes the Liche
30-09-2011, 09:03
thanks for that, im still new to 40k, so i was also wonder what their function is on the battlefield exactly, what are their target priorities?

Lasty say if i was wanting to really customize my DE army with its own fluff and colors etc? i dont think the baron would fit well fluff wise in it, so i was wondering can i just have a hellion and say hellarch as a unit and it still be usuable and not horrible...please be honest

Boo Goes the Liche
30-09-2011, 09:19
Thanks for the answers guys, how aboout Harlequins are they also viable, they seem quiet effective in CC

Baaltor
30-09-2011, 09:27
I don't play DE yet, so my view may be a bit twisted, but from what I see Hellions look like a very enjoyable unit to use. They're good for their points if you can get them where they need to be, but they're also glass. If you screw up the entire unit goes down like guardsmen at more than three times the price, and in a valuable slot. Alternatively: if they get a pain token they're essentially marines that have higher I, some nifty special abilities, a better gun, and a jump pack.

That said, as you'll see many people are quite smitten with them, I'm a bit curious, but I don't think they're dynamite.

Ba'al Starslayer
30-09-2011, 09:34
I'm trying to think of a model in 40k with the name "Hellion", but all that's coming to mind are the flamer RC cars in Starcraft 2.

Ah, DE. Yes, Hellions are viable. You can build lists which have great synergy with them.

I play DE and I still thought of this first! :p

But anyway yes, Hellions are actually pretty good; if you do the maths on 14 of them with the Baron - shooting with their Pods first and then assaulting - then you may be pleasantly surprised at just how much damage they have the capability of doing.

ihavetoomuchminis
30-09-2011, 12:33
They are quite good. And with the Baron they are troops. As usual, they work better with a WW portal. They shoot well and can make plenty of attacks in CC, wich can be quite effective due to their weapon and a proper roll on the Combat Drugs.