PDA

View Full Version : Hard times, time to sell up?

MasterGideon
30-09-2011, 12:01
Hello,

So been out for work in the UK for 3 months, and running out of money. I already sold my IG army (3000pts) but that was not my main army.....my main army is my Dark Angel Army, full Deathwing Company, 5th company and 40% Ravenwing, 9 dreads and 9 Rhino/Razorbacks and 4 Preds.

The question is, should I sell it all if I really need too? I hardly play any more but I really spent time and effort getting this far.

Just seeing what advice you guys can give!

MasterGideon

LonelyPath
30-09-2011, 12:07
If you need the money then you need the money, but I'd try to keep the DW if possible, you may need them again and they'd be very expensive to replace.

SunTzu
30-09-2011, 12:14
I don't think anyone here really knows your financial situation well enough to say.

Ultimately you can't eat toy soldiers, neither do they protect you from rain wind and snow, so if it's a choice between selling up and paying rent or buying food, there's only one choice to make; but we don't know if you're nearing that stage or not. Try www.lovemoney.com or a financial advisor.

zoggin-eck
30-09-2011, 12:24
Yeah, if you need food and a place to live, sell the things.

I sold quite a lot when I was studying years ago, but my collection is all over the place, and I never remember what I actually own anyway. I never regret it, and have barely given it another thought, as it was the right thing to do. Things like old video games were the first to go for me.

Perhaps just keep a few favourites, or begin selling those you know will sell well (like metals, vehicles and characters) rather than losing tons of basic marines for little money. I lost units of mono pose fantasy figures that would be useful now, when a single unit of metal daemons might have sold for as much. Unless your army really looks good as a whole, were you going to sell it in stages?

One thing, keep "sentimental" models like your general, first painted figures etc. I'd never sell my named characters or "badly painted in thick enamels" models :)

marv335
30-09-2011, 12:32
I've been where you are now.
Here's the thing, are you going to get enough for them to make it worth your while selling?
I know I didn't.
If I had to do it again, I'd keep them.

laudarkul
30-09-2011, 12:57
If you sell them you are going to lose some money. Then when your financial situation will be ok you'll have to start again with buying/painting. You better keep those DA.

Eddie Chaos
30-09-2011, 13:03
I'm recently unemployed as well so I sympathise but I think unless you really need the money (like for food and stuff) you shouldn't sell them. They wont sell for as much as you would like and when you are back on your feet in a few months you will regret selling them for (presumably) half retail value.

At the end of the day though there are more important things in life so If you are really struggling with bills of course sell up.

jack da greenskin
30-09-2011, 15:10
I'd sell off the stuff you dont use in game in small lots. about 100s worth at a time. As long as you dont swamp ebay with second hand rhinos, they should go for about retail value to some poor aussie fellow.

I'm all in favour of selling it if you dont use it too often.

Aegius
30-09-2011, 15:22
As someone who also lives in the uk and has been out of work for a majority of the year. I'll say this: You can't really be that hard up for money, our benefits system is there to make sure that people don't starve and can pay their bills. I'm lucky in that I'll be starting work again soon, but if I've managed to live for a majority of the year without selling my toy soldiers, then you should be able to as well.

talk to your local jobcentre and county council about this, not a bunch of wierdos on t'intarwebz.

SunTzu
30-09-2011, 15:35
talk to your local jobcentre and county council about this, not a bunch of wierdos on t'intarwebz.

This.

Or if you insist on internet weirdos, www.lovemoney.com. Much more knowledgeable than anyone here will be.

TheOtherGuy
30-09-2011, 23:24
Whats stopping you from just creating a army from each respective group dw rw and da and selling the stuff you won't need. Ya you won't have full companies anymore but you won't guy yourself in the process. Best of luck to you man

xxRavenxx
30-09-2011, 23:26
Eat the deathwing!

Omnomnom! Delicious Lead!

Chem-Dog
01-10-2011, 00:06
As someone who also lives in the uk and has been out of work for a majority of the year. I'll say this: You can't really be that hard up for money, our benefits system is there to make sure that people don't starve and can pay their bills.

There are levels and there are levels. JSA and HB only help out so far and living expenses can outstrip the utility of those funds. It can be highly situational to your location too.

Lord_Squinty
01-10-2011, 00:22
While Ive not been in your position and am no financial adviser (I have had my mother throw out what is now Thousands of punds worth of stuff, not the same I know) - I would go with..

I agree with Marv - you wont get what its actually worth, when you come back to the hobby you will regret it big time.

If its that bad that you need to eat / keep the mortgage etc then thats not a choice and you shouldnt even be asking us strangers.

If its not, I would advise gritting it out - it'll probably cost you more in the long run when you decide you miss youre deathwing and want to relace them.

pun3d
01-10-2011, 01:07
As a fellow Dark Angel I say keep your stuff.

Latro_
01-10-2011, 01:24
I know people who have sold an army to a friend so he can have something different to game with and the agreement is the seller can buy it back whenever he wants.

seems to work nice.

Mike3791
01-10-2011, 02:35
Selling your army won't solve your problems, especially long term. Best thing to do is keep looking for work.

Baaltor
01-10-2011, 06:02
I'll throw in my bit: I've been out of a job for about half a year now (I finally got an interview and I'm hoping to kick my career into gear next week though :)) and I wouldn't consider selling my stuff. Now, I'm going to say that you need to keep your priorities, it's just a game and they're just toys, so don't think the models are some irreplaceable thing, but selling them won't get you far. The resale value is terrible, unless you're an expert painter.

You'll regret selling them when things go good for you (and they will, stay positive!) and selling them won't net you much. Add to that the fact you need to spend time looking for a buyer that you could be using to get real job.

My heart goes out to you stay strong!

-Mike

herbtarkel
01-10-2011, 06:33
I would also say not to sell. You will regret it. I have sold a ton of stuff over the years, and every now and then I get a pang of regret. I am now down to my "unsellables" in cases and there's maybe one big bag of spare Dwarfs.

Make sure you keep enough to play, and better yet, enough for two armies so that you can teach a friend.

And good luck in the job hunt.

Importman
01-10-2011, 11:55
Selling your army won't solve your problems, especially long term. Best thing to do is keep looking for work.

I completely agree!
Unless of course you or your loved ones are starving to death right now and in desperate need for cash you should never sell. Because you will definately regret your decision later.
Good luck with your job hunting!

stroller
01-10-2011, 12:35
Go see your local Citizen's Advice Bureau. They know their stuff.

Archangelion
01-10-2011, 12:45
What kind of job are you looking for? Are you looking for a good paying job? Or are you simply looking for any job where you can bring in any amount of money? I agree with Mike3791, selling your models isn't what you need. You need a long term plan. Selling your items for much less than you purchased them is a last ditch immediate effect answer, and will not ultimately solve your problems (Unless of course your painting of the army was a golden daemon level paint job and you can find people who will spend stupid amounts of money on your models and make millions off it, but if that's the case, perhaps I've just found you a new job! Painting models, and selling them on e-bay).

My point is; I know too many people who have good educations who are whining about how hard it is to find a job, and how hard it is to get a job, and how broke they are. Meanwhile, I'm driving down the road and pizza shops, gas stations, restaurants and grocery stores all have "Help Wanted" signs up in their windows. The people feel that they are either too well educated, or are simply too proud, to work at such locations, even in the short term while looking for a job that they would enjoy, even though doing such would give them at least some money in their pockets. Some money is better than no money, and you can still look for a job in your time between work. I would much rather be working two crappy part time jobs that don't pay much than to be sitting at home collecting money from the government. But that's just my take on things.

I hope you find a job soon so that you don't need that minor influx of cash from your army, I don't think you will get what you want for them, but it would probably be enough to pay some bills or put food on the table for a short while.

Baaltor
03-10-2011, 20:43
What kind of job are you looking for? Are you looking for a good paying job? Or are you simply looking for any job where you can bring in any amount of money? I agree with Mike3791, selling your models isn't what you need. You need a long term plan. Selling your items for much less than you purchased them is a last ditch immediate effect answer, and will not ultimately solve your problems (Unless of course your painting of the army was a golden daemon level paint job and you can find people who will spend stupid amounts of money on your models and make millions off it, but if that's the case, perhaps I've just found you a new job! Painting models, and selling them on e-bay).

My point is; I know too many people who have good educations who are whining about how hard it is to find a job, and how hard it is to get a job, and how broke they are. Meanwhile, I'm driving down the road and pizza shops, gas stations, restaurants and grocery stores all have "Help Wanted" signs up in their windows. The people feel that they are either too well educated, or are simply too proud, to work at such locations, even in the short term while looking for a job that they would enjoy, even though doing such would give them at least some money in their pockets. Some money is better than no money, and you can still look for a job in your time between work. I would much rather be working two crappy part time jobs that don't pay much than to be sitting at home collecting money from the government. But that's just my take on things.

I hope you find a job soon so that you don't need that minor influx of cash from your army, I don't think you will get what you want for them, but it would probably be enough to pay some bills or put food on the table for a short while.

I'm sorta in that case, I'm looking for a draftsmen position, but I've not worked for a while. For me it's not that I'm too proud to work in a fast food place or whatever, but that I feel it's somewhat dishonest to only work somewhere a couple of months. For the first couple of months new employees are usually a drain on companies and they lose profit, I don't want to do that just to fill my own pockets.

A week or two ago I started working on contract to bring in some money and that helped, but not everyone has that option. It's a shame companies don't honour their employees like they should, now you can only scrap by on minimum wage here, before you could LIVE and support a family. Or maybe it's just that in Canada B.C we have an enormous cost of living and low minimum wages.

Trick
03-10-2011, 23:05
Been there, done it.
I sold 7,000pts of my 10,000pt Blood Angels army to scrape together some money for bills a few months back.

Did it work?

Yes, for that month. But I'm not getting a monthly income from my Angels so all I managed to do was stave off an angry red letter for a month and now I'm back to square one and this time with no 'little red assets' to stick on eBay. You're better off, as others have said, heading down to Citizen's Advice and/or the Jobcentre and leaving your Dark Angels alone or selling them on only if you honestly don't want them any more. Otherwise you're effectivley throwing away hundreds/thousands of pounds of models, hundreds of hours of time and commitment making them into an army, nay a collection that you can be proud of, just to pay for council tax/rent/fish food for 30 days? No thanks!

Trick

Archangelion
04-10-2011, 00:41
I'm sorta in that case, I'm looking for a draftsmen position, but I've not worked for a while. For me it's not that I'm too proud to work in a fast food place or whatever, but that I feel it's somewhat dishonest to only work somewhere a couple of months. For the first couple of months new employees are usually a drain on companies and they lose profit, I don't want to do that just to fill my own pockets.

A week or two ago I started working on contract to bring in some money and that helped, but not everyone has that option. It's a shame companies don't honour their employees like they should, now you can only scrap by on minimum wage here, before you could LIVE and support a family. Or maybe it's just that in Canada B.C we have an enormous cost of living and low minimum wages.

I hear you there. Ontario isn't much better for that. A person basically has to hold two minimum wage jobs just to make it by, the provincial government doesn't help much either, with their over taxing of everything... stupid HST!

Lars Porsenna
04-10-2011, 01:25
In the end, your figures are an investment; they don't go bad or disappear with time. A well cared for army -- even a plastic one -- can potentially last for the rest of your life. If you sell them now, you might regret it a few years down the line, especially when thing get better.

Re: getting a short-term job. This sort of thing varies with your locality and nationality. In the US -- Pennsylvania specifically -- you are only allowed to work a specific amount of hours to earn money beyond what you get for unemployment compensation. And for someone that has a working spouse, it might be very easy to breach this ceiling. For every dollar extra you earn above this ceiling, that same amount is deducted from your unemployment check. So no it does not necessarily make sense to get a part time job while unemployed to simply keep the wheels turning. OTOH if you're unemployed, and NOT getting unemployment compensation, then yes get a job at McDs until something better comes along.

Damon.

unheilig
04-10-2011, 03:36
Ive lost ridiculous amounts of money selling, re-selling, and switching armies.

Don't do it.

Adra
04-10-2011, 09:05
I agree with the majority of the uk posters. the system of benefits in the uk will mean you wont starve and you should seek advice on this from your local benefits office or citizens advice. Selling what you own may well plug a gap for a month but GW stuff isnt really worth alot in re-sale. Selling will not solve your problems long term. Maybe look at your lifestyle and how you can make savings in other areas, like in your bills or weekly shop, instead of looking around you for stuff to sell.

On the other hand you said you dont play anymore so maybe the armies are worthless to you, in which case sell them and thats that.