PDA

View Full Version : New to WFB & Starting Ogre Kingdoms

daismith906
30-09-2011, 13:21
Hello All

Im looking to take the plunge and start WFB. Only ever played 40K so havent got a clue where to start. Ive bought the BRB so am reading up on the basicsbut am bascially a noob

Now i really like the new Ogre mini's so thinking of starting them plus i assume that quite expensive pts wise so wil be low on model count.

My local gaming club normally play 2400-2500pts so would like to aim for this with a army list.

So where should i start? what units/ tactics should i use?

Any help advice would be appreicated.

Cheers

Dai

jack da greenskin
30-09-2011, 14:36
I'd advise having a look at the ogre minis and deciding on some models you like the best.

It'll be tempting to run a tyrant with lots of kit and weapons, a cool armour save and some cool items. I'd reccomend not doing this, and running a lvl4 slaughter master, with lore of the great maw, or one of the others if you feel really drawn to it.

to fill out 25% core, get a really big unit of bulls, or ironguts if you really want to. Big units are generally quite good.

Look at the rare section and see if anything takes your fancy, I personally really like ironblasters, but you might want one of the big gribblies.

I know newport has a GW store, but unless you REALLY have a massive store loyalty, I'd advise getting an ogre batallion from wayland for 45. thats 16 models.

Start with 1k games, I'm running
SM - 250
8 ironguts command - god knows,
6 bulls banner - 210?
4 leadbelchers - 172

Good luck :)

Scammel
30-09-2011, 14:43
The best advice is to check out this place: http://www.ogrestronghold.com/forum/index.php

Doommasters
30-09-2011, 21:59
The best advice is to check out this place: http://www.ogrestronghold.com/forum/index.php

Go there, you will get better advice.

minionboy
01-10-2011, 00:34
Go there, you will get better advice.

+1. Ogre Stronghold is there for all your ogrey needs.

Hragged
01-10-2011, 00:52
Aww, you guys :)

I've tweeted and facebooked that article of yours minionboy - cheers!

minionboy
01-10-2011, 00:56
Aww, you guys :)

I've tweeted and facebooked that article of yours minionboy - cheers!

Haha, what's your twitter?!

Hragged
01-10-2011, 01:00
It's here:
http://twitter.com/OgreStronghold

Mirbeau
01-10-2011, 04:07
Hello All

Im looking to take the plunge and start WFB. Only ever played 40K so havent got a clue where to start. Ive bought the BRB so am reading up on the basicsbut am bascially a noob

Now i really like the new Ogre mini's so thinking of starting them plus i assume that quite expensive pts wise so wil be low on model count.

My local gaming club normally play 2400-2500pts so would like to aim for this with a army list.

So where should i start? what units/ tactics should i use?

Any help advice would be appreicated.

Cheers

Dai

Nice, glad to hear you're taking the plunge, it's a cracking game with more variation than 40k (currently).

Obviously, the best way to learn is to get a couple of games in after a read through the brb, and the army book, so see if one of your group or even a staff member at a gw will give you a game or two at a lower points level, staffers are pretty willing to do so and it's a help, even if their rule knowledge isn't perfect...

In terms of miniatures, the battallion is a solid start, almost all of it is useful and you can squeeze a fair few points out of it (some people don't really rate leadbelchers mind, but I like them), so if you got that, a character and the army book you'd be good to go for your first game or two at (maybe more) than a 1000 points. And that would be well under 100 from indies like darksphere(.co.uk) or waylandgames.(co.uk .)

Good luck!