PDA

View Full Version : dreadfleet giant robot squid....

tu33y
30-09-2011, 14:22

looks very similar... i suppose this is just parallel evolution?

EmperorNorton
30-09-2011, 14:27
Aside from being a giant robot squid (which Spartan didn't invent, either) they don't really look all that similar IMO.

MarcoSkoll
30-09-2011, 14:29
If you decide to do a squid ship (which is far from a new idea), then inevitably, there will be resemblances. So yeah - parallel evolution.

tu33y
30-09-2011, 14:29
the bases are the most similar...

Goat of Yuggoth
30-09-2011, 16:12
They're not that similar, the Dystopian one looks more like a squid and the GW one is clearly more Octopus-inherited in design and feel.

It's like comparing two different birch trees. While they may look similar, the different species are not quite the same once you look closer.

Cheers,
Goatee

Deff Mekz
30-09-2011, 16:21
GW started designing Dreadfleet 6 years ago and the Dwarf Kraken was one the first ideas to come up. So if anything the Dystopian Wars miniature copied of GW.

Deff

Hellebore
30-09-2011, 16:29
GW started designing Dreadfleet 6 years ago and the Dwarf Kraken was one the first ideas to come up. So if anything the Dystopian Wars miniature copied of GW.

Deff

I assume by infiltrating GW headquarters and spying on their work 6 years ago? Or perhaps GW can say whatever they want, whether it's true or not.

Hellebore

loveless
30-09-2011, 16:41
A mechanical squid isn't a new idea.

The Ika and the Black Kraken are noticably different.

The bases are no more similar than any other naval bases that has gubbins going into the water.

The Black Kraken has a darker design (not just due to the paintjob, the whole posing and build makes it look malevolent), while the Ika has a more familiar "robot-animal" vibe to it.

You could find similar parallels in the Metzger and the Contemptor Pattern Dreadnought or any other random mech/robot of choice.

I don't think you can reliably state that one is copying the other. This isn't something like the Gamezone-Games Workshop back-and-forth.

Damien 1427
30-09-2011, 18:57
No, not seeing it. Steampunk/diselpunk robot squid have been doing the rounds for years.

shelfunit.
30-09-2011, 19:10
Can't see any copying here at all - similar but quite different.

Deff

Hopefully this is a joke....

marv335
30-09-2011, 19:12
was there not a mechanical squid in Man o War?

BigRob
30-09-2011, 19:36
No, but there was a generic Kraken monster.

zoggin-eck
01-10-2011, 05:45
Nah, we've seen similar ideas enough before. league of extraordinary gentlemen nautilus being an obvious (similar, not the same) example.

Or perhaps GW can say whatever they want, whether it's true or not.

Hellebore

GW didn't say anything.

eron12
01-10-2011, 05:58
GW didn't say anything.

Then where did a statement regarding the 6 year development time and the early creation of the robotic squid ship come from?

zoggin-eck
01-10-2011, 06:30
Then where did a statement regarding the 6 year development time and the early creation of the robotic squid ship come from?

No, GW haven't said anything about it being a copy of Spartan's, ot Spartan's being a copy of theirs, or even if either is in reponse to the other.

It really doesn't matter. Both seem to be included because it's a fun and fairly obvious idea for a model, not because it's totally fits the army's look. Plenty of people thought it was a Skaven construct!

Besides, people make such a fuss about this one example. May as well make a thread every time another company makes a model that fits a Warhammer entry

eron12
01-10-2011, 07:30
No, GW haven't said anything about it being a copy of Spartan's, ot Spartan's being a copy of theirs, or even if either is in reponse to the other.

Agreed, though that wasn't what Hellbore was talking about. He was responding to the claim I indicated in my post.

Besides, people make such a fuss about this one example. May as well make a thread every time another company makes a model that fits a Warhammer entry

Indeed, it's not as if GW hasn't taken ideas and designs from others over the years, or that countless other companies haven't done the same thing to GW. It's just part of life. Beyond that this doesn't even seem to be a copy. After all, how differnt can giant mechanical squid ships be?

jimbo2
01-10-2011, 11:15
Oh my word! They're both ships! And both the bases have water on them! Can GW stoop no lower!? Call the FBI immediately!

Oh wait one has guns and the other doesn't.
And the posing is completely different.
And the hull designs completely different.
And the hull shapes and relative sizing completely different.
And the waves on the bases completely different.

Max Jet
01-10-2011, 13:33
Oh my word! They're both ships! And both the bases have water on them! Can GW stoop no lower!? Call the FBI immediately!

Oh wait one has guns and the other doesn't.
And the posing is completely different.
And the hull designs completely different.
And the hull shapes and relative sizing completely different.
And the waves on the bases completely different.

Lamassu my naive little friend

Lamassu

eldargal
01-10-2011, 13:44
Six years ago I sat down with the Studio to talk about areas of our games that were still undeveloped. The island of Sartosa came up early in the conversation and quickly became a focal point. Over the next few weeks I spent my spare time drawing up pirate artwork - around 60 pieces in total. Now when I say pirates, I'm not talking about the pirates of the world we know, but the seafaring curs of the Warhammer world, so there are very few timbers to shiver and no walking the plank. It's an entirely different and altogether far more fantastical world. I drew a few sketches of characters and their warships - a witch hunter, an Arabian prince, Undead galleons, Chaos sea monsters and other such madness - it was a lot of fun creating something so different, yet so clearly part of the Warhammer world. It quickly generated a lot of enthusiasm in the Studio.

The next stage was to see if we could develop a game within this broad framework - all we knew was that it had to be ship based. A group of us - artists, sculptors and Games Developer Phil Kelly - got together in an office away from the rest of the Studio and started to work on the ideas - how the ships would look, how the game could work, and so on.

And:

There was a lot of development going on all at the same time, with designers working on all the kits simultaneously. The Dwarf Kraken was a popular idea right from the start - a steam-based mechanical ship - it's the perfect Dwarf archetype. The Undead galleon started to float above the sea rather than in it and a Bretonnian galleon with castles built into it (which later became the Imperial ship Heldenhammer) was a firm favourite. The pleasure barge from Araby came up quite early on too, with the djinns blowing it along. Part of the attraction of this game was the potential to do some new and unusual things like the Araby ship - it's something we've never really looked at before.
Source (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/blogPost.jsp?aId=18300011a).

I believe these were what is being referred too. Now you can accuse John Blanche of lying but if you don't have any evidence to back it up I think you are a git. Either way if GW were developing this six years ago the ydidn't copy it from Spartan Games, nor could Spartan Games copy it from them. The idea is hardly an original one so this whole thread is ridiculous.

Deff Mekz
01-10-2011, 13:46
Thankyou Eldargal, I was actually looking for that info to back up my post but I couldn't locate it.

Deff

zoggin-eck
01-10-2011, 14:04

Lamassu

So what? This thread is about the Kraken in particular.

jimbo2
01-10-2011, 15:08

Lamassu

Politeness my rude and assuming little 'friend'

Politeness

GraveGuard
01-10-2011, 18:22
If you're going to make a Squid robot/ship/sub you tend to be limited in the way it will look as in like a squid otherwise it won't be.
It's like saying "ah! someones Dwarfs look like someone elses Dwarfs" they're Dwarfs so they have to be otherwise they woouldn't be.

Darnok
01-10-2011, 18:30
I think this issue is settled. Before it devolves into nastiness...

Thread closed.

Darnok [=I=]
The WarSeer Inquisition