PDA

View Full Version : GW missing a trick by not enriching of the Warhammer hobby (outside of SOM)

MrSmash
30-09-2011, 17:54
I'm not sure what you guys all think, but I feel that GW could be missing a trick which could not only expand the warhammer hobby, but to make a bit of money on the side. I understand that the GWs business model is all around selling figures/models but surely their is something to be said in expansions for the Warhammer world (beyond army books). Many other companies who deal in the fantasy settings (D&D for example) chuck out expansions like there's no tomorrow. Warhammer Forge are even doing it to a point.

What about a book that expands on all the armies (I'm specifically thinking for the basic warhammer game, not SOM).

Each army could have a chapter dedicated to it and could cover many things. Examples could be new additional magic items. The new army books only have a handful of magic items (I know the common magic items have been increased) but so many fluffy items have been left out that I believe their can be a place for them or for new ones that didnít quite make the grade for the army books. Armies that haven't been updated recently could still contain items, but either updated current items replacing army book ones (almost like a formal errata) or again new items to give additional flavour.

Other ideas for the race specific chapters could include new units that are not planned for the army books, but again that could add a slight twist to the races (these don't even need dedicated models for them allowing the hobby element to come out and allow hobbyists to use their imaginations or even give food for thought for future model releases by GW themselves).

Such an expansion could also have chapters that can be used by any army, such as new rules that can be used by combat lords to make them more viable (let ideas commence), new fluff from a very rich and fluffy world of warhammer, etc. These are just some quick ideas and many other people on these forums have much better ideas that would be perfect for such a book.

By having something for each army, this book I imagine would appeal to everyone and could potentially be the best selling book for GW behind the rulebook (not including 40K in this comparison).

Hell, the number of ideas continuously flowing from warseer members alone could fill a library of books (I don't mind if GW wants to shamelessly take any of my ideas for themselves and make money out of it - a more profitable GW means a better hobby for me). So maybe, making money out of books may not be such a bad idea especially if it covers a little for everyone, ensuring good sales numbers.

This does all sound a lot like Storm of Magic, but why not for the general game? The Warhammer world is just crying for additional content.

Sexiest_hero
30-09-2011, 18:12
Because gamers will take what they can break and decry the rest. If you game long enough you see things come in two flavors, Broken and crap to lots of gamers. The net will gravitate to the Hell pits, as points efficient and away from the Cygors. new Items arnt worth anything till a gamer can get his hands on a Book of hoath or something. D7D ruined 3.5 by releasing to many books. Everybody just took wor fordged this or broken paladin that. Then they came out with Competitive D&D..... then they came out with 4th :(.

Quinzy
30-09-2011, 18:14
Like Ravening Hordes?

MrSmash
30-09-2011, 18:20
I'm simply thinking more options, more fun, and more for us all to look forward too and get excited about at the same time. Again, only some suggestions of mine, I'm sure many people have better ideas.

IcedCrow
30-09-2011, 18:28
The reason I dont' think you'd see this is, not because it's a bad idea, but because they'd have to invest in new models to represent these new rules, and I don't see that as doable on a regular basis.

gormaster
30-09-2011, 18:51
If they thought it was profitable they would do it. As for myself, I like the idea.

Misfratz
30-09-2011, 19:29
It looks like GW is doing what you want with Storm of Magic and Warhammer Forge.

Otherwise I think we should all do morefor ourselves. I think Warhammer Empire.com did some great things based around a campaign a while ago. We don't need GW to do this for us.

Torga_DW
30-09-2011, 22:00
I think what you're proposing sounds like the warma/hordes model. Next from that is: why can't they update all their army books inside a year?

yabbadabba
30-09-2011, 22:15
Like Ravening Hordes? Nope, sounds nothing like it. If anything a Ravening Hordes idea should be the official tournament army lists.

I think what you're proposing sounds like the warma/hordes model. Next from that is: why can't they update all their army books inside a year? Because according to their data they would lose sales.

Tokamak
30-09-2011, 22:18
They can only release so many new models each month. There's too many races in Warhammer so the intervals between each release covering all the races would be so huge that in the meanwhile people would simply lose interest.

Seeing new models regularly gets me excited even if I don't play the race, I'm always looking for something I can just pick up and paint.

So I'm sure GW would love to do this, if they were able. It's just that they're not.

m1s1n
30-09-2011, 23:27
I don't think that any of this sits inside GW's business model, nor are they really big enough to continually execute the demands that constant updates and expansions would put upon the company's production, creative, and financial resources.

I also think about games like Magic, which (when I followed it) used to release around four different sets a year. The consequence of this was that they quickly hit the wall creatively, and started coming up with some really strange ideas, so that they could essentially reprint their old ideas. Sometimes this made fundamental cards obsolete. Othertimes, you ended up with completely useless cards that were simply printed as filler.

So I ask you-- do you really want snow-covered gobbos and Ironbreakers with phasing? I don't.

Hawkkf
01-10-2011, 00:23
I think fantasy could benefit from something along the lines of City-Fight and Planet-Strike. Instead make it more like Desert Battles, or Underground Battles for instance. Load it with 6 scenarios with specific special rules to each of them. Then have a section with one to three special rules for each race that shows how the terrain affects them both positively and negatively.
Nothing in here that affects any standard game, but could make for some fun games when the standard becomes boring. All it would cost GW is the printing of one book a year.

Snake1311
01-10-2011, 01:24
I think fantasy could benefit from something along the lines of City-Fight and Planet-Strike. Instead make it more like Desert Battles, or Underground Battles for instance. Load it with 6 scenarios with specific special rules to each of them. Then have a section with one to three special rules for each race that shows how the terrain affects them both positively and negatively.
Nothing in here that affects any standard game, but could make for some fun games when the standard becomes boring. All it would cost GW is the printing of one book a year.

This 'one book a year' will push back their release schedules for army books and 40 codices. No thanks.

Not to mention the content the OP is talking about is already included in White Dwarf, if VC are anything to judge by. Which I'm also against, since it make you keep track of random things.

They can't release content any faster than they are, so in reality you won't be speeding anything up.

I wouldn't say the WH world is crying for more content. Yes, for the ones who've played it everything might be a bit dull now, but try to think how ridiculously immense it is through the eyes of a beginner.

Its like when all the people who've played World of Warcraft for 5 years straight start to complain that they are getting bored. Its just one game! If the content is not enough for you (which it will never be), play something else for a while until new content builds up.

GraveGuard
01-10-2011, 02:23
1 its not their business model
2 they can't release what they need already to fast enough at the moment to keep up with the own model
3 Forgeworld bascially already do this anyway, (3.5)but just with a couple or more specific armies than trying to release something for everyone where balance with established books would cause massive problems.
4 others have tried and failed (fill in rest of Dune Quote here)

eron12
01-10-2011, 05:31
I think this idea would have some merit if we reached a point where everything was caught up and GW was going to spend years with no releases. That, however, will never happen.

Right now only 3 of the 15 armies have updated books. I don't want an expansion for my army book until I have an army book for this edition (or even one for last edition).

An update like this would be nice for players whose books have already come out and are looking at several years before they are likely to get anything else, but even more players have been waiting those years to get the basics.

RanaldLoec
01-10-2011, 07:46
The reason I dont' think you'd see this is, not because it's a bad idea, but because they'd have to invest in new models to represent these new rules, and I don't see that as doable on a regular basis.

Privateer Press did a great job with Wrath an expansion filled with new units for all the armies. Including multiple waves of new models.

BUTT, pp only have 5 or 6 armies to do it for, it becomes a much bigger task when there are as many armies as WFB has.

RanaldLoec
01-10-2011, 07:49
1 its not their business model
2 they can't release what they need already to fast enough at the moment to keep up with the own model
3 Forgeworld bascially already do this anyway, (3.5)but just with a couple or more specific armies than trying to release something for everyone where balance with established books would cause massive problems.
4 others have tried and failed (fill in rest of Dune Quote here)

Worms, spice, travelling with out moving. Epic set of books any sci fi fan should read Frank Herbert at least once.

T10
01-10-2011, 09:45

I like the idea. Sure, given free rein power gamers will **** it up for the rest of us, but they already do that.

-T10

H33D
01-10-2011, 10:21
They should release a cheap campaign rulebook each year. It could have 6 new scenarios, a handful of new common magic items, a new magic item, rune, and/or gift for each army, and perhaps some additional rules such as having mercenaries etc.

Imagine SoM but story based and not a cyclone of magic and monsters wiping the board clear, perhaps less new models as well.

It could even have detailed campaign rules for how to play a campaign tournament at your local store. Different armies could even play different roles.

I think I could whip something up that would be pretty neat, and it would only have to be a book nothing else supplemental. GW should be able to do something like that pretty easy then.

yabbadabba
01-10-2011, 10:26
If only it was that easy H33D - GW are condemned if they do, and condemned if they don't.

Jind_Singh
01-10-2011, 17:19
They should release a cheap campaign rulebook each year. It could have 6 new scenarios, a handful of new common magic items, a new magic item, rune, and/or gift for each army, and perhaps some additional rules such as having mercenaries etc.

Imagine SoM but story based and not a cyclone of magic and monsters wiping the board clear, perhaps less new models as well.

It could even have detailed campaign rules for how to play a campaign tournament at your local store. Different armies could even play different roles.

I think I could whip something up that would be pretty neat, and it would only have to be a book nothing else supplemental. GW should be able to do something like that pretty easy then.

Ah but they did back in the day, which is why they won't do it again! They had released "The Idol of Gork", which was AN AMAZING addition to the game! Warhammer Siege was another...

But they all died a lonely death!

If they did something like that it should be an equivalent of Battle Missions book were they have scenarios written for each army - but the only problem is that 40k is so much more flexible to build that kind of system.

Warhammer:

Skaven: Time to die man things!!! Pitched battle, use Skaven as one of the armies

Orcs & Goblins: Time to call a Waaagh Boyz! Pitched battle, use Orcs & Goblins as one of the armies.

While it would not be as uncreative as that, the point is that setting Warhammer scenarios is a lot harder than making 40k ones - which is why we always see Warhammer scenarios in just White Dwarf.

Because then the problem is that the book has to be good enough to make enough sales to get back the cost of doing it in the 1st place!

While I would personally love some extra books, the chances of it are slim - mind you I never ever saw them do a Storm of Magic type book so who knows! (Be interesting to see how well Storm of Magic did in terms of sales and what not)

eron12
01-10-2011, 18:05
They should release a cheap campaign rulebook each year.

I don't think that's a word in the GW vocabulary. And frankly, if GW can't get ally their armies updated during an edition, they have no buisness releasing other supliments.

SotF
02-10-2011, 03:36
Because gamers will take what they can break and decry the rest. If you game long enough you see things come in two flavors, Broken and crap to lots of gamers. The net will gravitate to the Hell pits, as points efficient and away from the Cygors. new Items arnt worth anything till a gamer can get his hands on a Book of hoath or something. D7D ruined 3.5 by releasing to many books. Everybody just took wor fordged this or broken paladin that. Then they came out with Competitive D&D..... then they came out with 4th :(.

The main thing there is that with DnD 3.5 you were never intended to be using all of the rules in a normal game unless you were going with a delve or similar.

Most of the rulebooks were designed to let the DM pick and choose what fits into the campaign setting rather than more things to dump into a power gamers toybox.

4th edition kind of took a hammer to a lot of the options that worked well for setting flavor.

Warhammer doesn't function as a world builder as DnD's rules are meant to be, it has a built in setting and the rules are designed to reflect it and create a far more limited pool for abuse.