PDA

View Full Version : Catharsis - my failed Black Library submission

SunTzu
30-09-2011, 17:23
Earlier this year the Black Library had a submission window. They said anyone they wanted to take forward for publishing would be contacted within a couple of months; that time is now up, and they've not contacted me about my submission, so I guess that means they're not going to publish it.

That at least means I can make it public. Attached to this post is a PDF with the first three chapters of my Warhammer novel, "Catharsis", though that's a working title. It's not a complete story - I had to submit a synopsis of the whole novel to BL but I've left it off this attachment so as not to spoil it for anyone if/when I finish the whole thing!

Comments, feedback and criticism are welcome. Feel free to shoot from the hip; BL rejected it for publishing so I have to accept I'm not the next Dan Abnett or ADB. That said I still think there's some promise in the story, and I hope that any of you who do take the time to read it will enjoy it, and be left wanting more.

shadowhawk2008
30-09-2011, 17:32
Just wanna say. There is every chance that you have NOT been rejected yet.

At GD, I talked to Laurie Goulding who said that they received somewhere about 2000 submissions and they have gone through about a quarter of those.

SunTzu
30-09-2011, 17:36
Oh. Righto. :D Thanks for the heads-up!

Anyway, it's up there now. And - as is so often the case! - now that I come to read it, I find it's not as good as it seemed when I was writing it... ;) So I won't be waiting by the phone for the call from BL, let's put it that way. But yeah, I still think there's a fun story to be told, there.

WarpStalker
30-09-2011, 17:59
When you say "now you have been rejected you can release it" (paraphrasing ofc) does that mean that if it is released to the public you can't enter?

Will give it a read later!

shadowhawk2008
30-09-2011, 18:58
BL want to be the first publishers of your work. The issue is moot when people put their entries out on the internet.

WarpStalker
30-09-2011, 22:50
Sucks, guess I won't be submitting my story then :(