PDA

View Full Version : Sooo... Liquid Greenstuff

AlphariusOmegon20
30-09-2011, 21:42
http://tapatalk.com/mu/a6898c73-2a2c-863d.jpg

Imagine my surprise when I walked into my local GW today and was shown this:

(there should be a pic attached to this post of a bottle of it.)

No, April fool's didn't come early, it really exists. My Bunker has two boxes of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tae
30-09-2011, 21:49
Yep, seen it and rubbed it into my hands (made them very green!)

Seems excellent for filling tiny gaps but wont replace 'traditional' green stuff for larger filling/molding.

Jind_Singh
30-09-2011, 21:56
I think this is great - will take care of the small bubbles I see from time to time on my new fine cast minis - plus it's great for my plastic models were the joins are good but I still have small lines - can't wait to try this out!

Tzeentch Lover
30-09-2011, 22:04
So how do you apply it? A throwaway brush?

The bearded one
30-09-2011, 22:09
So how do you apply it? A throwaway brush?

Yeah, I'm wondering about that too. How liquid is it? Semi-solid? Water-liquid? Do you poor it out of the pot into a gap? Can you pour it on something and sculpts a bit?

Seems like a great addition to the hobbyrange though.

AlphariusOmegon20
30-09-2011, 22:50
Apparently, there is a cleaning/hobby tool kit designed for Finecast, and Emory boards also.

Seems GW may be trying to settle some of the complaints about working with Finecast.

Tiu
01-10-2011, 00:25
From what I read in WD, its watersoluble, so you can thin it, and wash it out of your brush, stuff like that.

OldMaster
01-10-2011, 00:38
Yes, but does it become the same density/hardness after it dries? How fast doest it dry? Can you sculpt with it?

Can you pour it into molds? =DD

GraveGuard
01-10-2011, 01:21
What I want to know is how exactly can you have kneadite (which is what Greenstuff -blue/yellow is) a two part epoxy as a liquid?

And isn't Green Stuff Toxic/Hazardous and doesn't this Liquid stuff have a non toxic thing somewhere?

NixonAsADaemonPrince
01-10-2011, 01:31
What I want to know is how exactly can you have kneadite (which is what Greenstuff -blue/yellow is) a two part epoxy as a liquid?

And isn't Green Stuff Toxic/Hazardous and doesn't this Liquid stuff have a non toxic thing somewhere?

It's probably because it's got nothing to do with Kneadite, it just shares GW's Green Stuff title.

GraveGuard
01-10-2011, 01:52
So it's "stuff" that just happens to be green then? like perhaps thick green paint or dyed PVA.

gormaster
01-10-2011, 01:54
If it`s water soluble it`s not epoxy either. That eliminates cynoacrylate too. Sounds like white glue. :)

agurus1
01-10-2011, 03:30
sooo I really think that its an awesome idea, and I really want to buy some asap. But I was wondering what everyone else thought, or if they had used a similar product?

Ronin_eX
01-10-2011, 03:47
I honestly can't think of a great use for it. It sounds to watery to do the gap filling duty of normal two-part epoxies (the kind of thing you need to do when filling in gaps on large metal models). It is useless for sculpting/conversion work. It has no real purpose for plastic kits or metal kits. Honestly the only thing I can see it being useful for is filling in small, surface bubbles on resin minis but proper resin minis rarely get bad bubbling (and if they have bubbling bad enough to require a single product to fix then I would just return it).

But I guess it beats GW's suggestion of using superglue to fix the bubbling problem. But yeah, I can't justify picking it up for anything other than fixing finecast minis and since I wont ever lay cash down while GW persists with their "special formula" it is kind of useless to me. All my resin minis are fine without it and it is useless for metal and plastic stuff.

Mannimarco
01-10-2011, 03:50
It may have a use if you use that friendly plastic stuff to cast your own parts.

Inquisitor Kallus
01-10-2011, 04:36
sweet idea Mannimarco

MajorWesJanson
01-10-2011, 05:20
I plan to get it to fill gaps in my conversion work. Modding Epic Scale stuff is hard :(

Magot
01-10-2011, 06:42
itīs a pity that they need to release such a product due to the awful quality of the fine Cast resin models which require a lot of touch up work to do on them.

But casting your own items is a great idea!

DarkMark
01-10-2011, 07:27
I think it'll be useful to have in a modeller's kit. Using it with the new Instant Mold product could be a good use. Instant Mold vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub70AU5RfmI

winterdyne
01-10-2011, 08:15
From first reports, it appears to be very similar to Vallejo Plastic putty, albeit with an added dye. An extremely useful product, and one I use on nearly every build I do.

marv335
01-10-2011, 09:21
I can think of a few effects I could use it for, and I'll probably get some.

Ace Rimmer
01-10-2011, 11:23
I assumed as soon as I saw it next to the emory boards and super fine moulding tools that it's for finecast fixing. I imagine I'll get some next time I'm near a GW store just to have a play around with it and see what it's like.

shelfunit.
01-10-2011, 12:33
I am interested in this. If it turns out to be just vallejo plastic putty with dye then I'll just get that instead (cheaper + more volume), but from initial reports theliquid GS is runny and the vallejo is basically normal putty in a dropper bottle. Really hope to see/read a more indepth review of it, and as for the not having a use on plastic - the really annoying thin "line" gaps caused when two bits of plastic join (chimeras foot/wrists etc), for me at least are too small for normal green stuff (I do, however, have big meat fists...).

Mirbeau
01-10-2011, 13:32
I am interested in this. If it turns out to be just vallejo plastic putty with dye then I'll just get that instead (cheaper + more volume), but from initial reports theliquid GS is runny and the vallejo is basically normal putty in a dropper bottle. Really hope to see/read a more indepth review of it, and as for the not having a use on plastic - the really annoying thin "line" gaps caused when two bits of plastic join (chimeras foot/wrists etc), for me at least are too small for normal green stuff (I do, however, have big meat fists...).

+1 to this, really hope it is somewhat runny.

GraveGuard
01-10-2011, 13:52
It's its non toxic and water soluble like GW say it is its proabably actually either thick green paint or PVA with colour.

winterdyne
01-10-2011, 15:31
The vallejo stuff is extremely responsive to water. Not so much a putty, as a thin paste (about the consistency of double cream). With water it's just as good as a milliput wash.

Tay051173096
01-10-2011, 19:09
Its great, have been testing some on some metal kits.

Very good on fit lines on metal, just need to try it on finecast

ChaosAstartes
01-10-2011, 19:45
Been testing the new green stuff out as well as the clean up kit and these tools have been a god-send for me, been able to fill gaps on models and clean mold lines alot faster than before.

Grimmeth
01-10-2011, 20:57
I had a brief look at some yesterday - it's around the same thickness as a foundation paint.

sigur
01-10-2011, 21:09
From first reports, it appears to be very similar to Vallejo Plastic putty, albeit with an added dye. An extremely useful product, and one I use on nearly every build I do.

Yeah, that's what it reminded me of first. Good to have this confirmed. IF it's more rubbery and less brittle than Vallejo's putty AND proves to be hard when cured, it may be even more useful (as others said for casting).

Freman Bloodglaive
01-10-2011, 22:12
You can use any brush with it, the writers were using a large drybrush for the stiff bristles. Just wash it out afterwards.

Llawwehttam
01-10-2011, 22:18
I was VERY sceptical when I saw it but I bought some along with my dreadfleet and it is amazing.

Its certainly not a liquid, its a bit more like a very think paint, but is very easy to manipulate and work with and washes out of brushes just as easily as paint.

If anything it resembles green PVA glue that sets a bit better.

I'll certainly buy a bit more as its very nice to work with, but if its any different to PVA mixed with green dye remains to be seen.

angora
01-10-2011, 22:22
I used some yesterday to fill the fine seams where parts join on my Stonehorn. Worked a treat! It is kinda like very thick paint. I just gently dabbed it on and then smoothed it out with a wet brush.
I don't think it would be any good on large gaps - or perhaps the larger air bubbles but on seam lines and for small imperfections it works a treat.

Tay051173096
01-10-2011, 22:25
Just tried scatching it with finger nail, no effect.

With a wooden cocktail stick little to no effect.

With a metal pin you can remove with out damage, useful for cleaning fur detail as this stuff fills detail if not careful very well.

Lars Porsenna
01-10-2011, 22:57
This stuff sounds like Gunze Sangyo's Mr. Surfacer. But with the added benefit of actually being available in stores I go to (Gunze products seem not to be distributed in the US except on the West Coast AFAIK)...

Damon.

Balerion
02-10-2011, 00:38
Oh god, if all this is is PVA glue dyed green GW have finally pulled the greatest scam of all.

Spectrar Ghost
02-10-2011, 01:04
I got some somewhere a few years ago; no idea what store, but in IL for sure. I know that doesn't help a whole lot Lars, but you can get it. Come to think of it, I'm not sure Ive ever used it...

Sildani
02-10-2011, 02:24
The hobby store here in Chantilly Virginia stocks both 500 and 1000, and also the thinner (I think).

The bearded one
02-10-2011, 02:34
Yes people, Balerion, codenamed "vote of confidence", just entered the room :p

From what I've heard and read from people who've used it so far is that's quite wondrous stuff. It apparently dries up quite a lot more solidly than PVA.

To me it seems great stuff as I usually don't have any patience to fill up the smaller gaps and seams with regular greenstuff, but I can just pick up a jar costing as much as any GW paint and "paint out" the gap.

Lars Porsenna
02-10-2011, 03:04
You guys must be lucky, because I have never seen Gunze products anywhere, except in the color call-outs on Hasegawa and Dragon models... If I want it, I have to mail order it... :)

I picked up a bottle of Liquid Green Stuff today:

First and foremost this is not actually thinned epoxy putty (aka "Green Stuff"). I think the comparison the Mr Surfacer is apt. What it seems like is a paint with a thickener added. Along with it I picked up a box of Flamers of Tzeentch (I've been meaning to start a Tzeentch army for some time now...) which is in Finecast, to "test it out."

In terms of casting quality, the Flamers were almost perfect, almost. There were a couple of bubbles on the parts (one arm had a rather visible one), and one of the "tongues" was short-shot due to an air bubble. I went about filling them.

I did not find the stuff runny at all, but very thick. I loaded up a small brush with the stuff and started filling bubbles. It works as advertised, and found it very controllable. I don't think I would use it much for filling joins on plastic figures without thinning however, but might work well filling gaps on metal multipart figures. I found it easily controllable.

For those thinking of using it for casting, I don't think I would. For my test, I filled in the bubbles till it formed a little dome. After drying however, there was a very slight dimple there instead. So the stuff experiences some shrinkage as it dries.

So not the wondersubstance initially thought, but useful nonetheless.

Damon.

crartist24
02-10-2011, 05:08
It is amazing, im sure its a wattered down apoxy probably like milaput or gasket sealent would be the closest thing I can think of. It dries in minutes, not sutable for molding but its not ment for that anyway. You paint it into a small gap and after it dries clean it up with a hobby knife or file rinse repeat. I would caution you though give it a good shake and make sure you get what you need then close the cap it will dry fast in an open pot.

Lars Porsenna
02-10-2011, 05:28
Oh god, if all this is is PVA glue dyed green GW have finally pulled the greatest scam of all.

It's not PVA.

I bought a bottle today. It looks like paint with a filler in it. If you think GW is trying to rip you off, I'll note it is similar in concept to Gunze Sangyo's Mr. Surfacer products. The stuff is about as thick as peanut butter (very little flow in my bottle), and it works quite well as a spot filler. I like it and find it convenient to use.

I wouldn't recommend casting with it though. If it really is just paint with filler, any castings will be brittle. There is also some minor shrinkage as it cures (most plastic contour putties do this, to be fair), but it a heckuva lot more convenient than kneading a ball of epoxy putty...

Speaking of casting, if you're using an open-faced mold, use 5- or 20-minute epoxy for it. That's what I use if I need to cast up just one piece...

Damon.

Born Again
02-10-2011, 05:57
Just saw this earlier today, and while some people will of course be sceptical, it seems like a great product to me, useful for plugging little gaps and any bubbles in Finecast. Along with the cleaning kit, obviously designed for Finecast too, it looks like a couple of good an handy additions to their tool range.

Balerion
02-10-2011, 07:16
It sounds great to me too as long as it's not PVA-like (as several people reported it might be on the first page).

shelfunit.
02-10-2011, 08:07
Ta very much for the review, much to mull over...

Jind_Singh
02-10-2011, 08:11
Question: When is a guy the most optomistic?

Answer: When he's drank some vodka and seven!

Yes,it's saturday night and I had some drinks - but the fact is some of my hobby mates tried out this new green stuff and waxed lyrical about it - it's AMAXING at fillig in fine cast holes and other gaps/joins - and it was easy to clean their brushes after - so I ordered 2 pots and I'm excited about getting my ;iquid greenstiff tomorrow!!!!

Matt.Wood88
02-10-2011, 08:41
I bought some yesterday to test it out as I had just bought both a finecast model (spellweaver) and a plastic one (nurgle lord).
The finecast was almost perfect, one tiny bubble on the cloth, fixed that up with the LGS (liquid green stuff), as said, it does shrink, but very little and was very easy to smooth down with the emery boards, which I also picked up.
And it was perfect for filling gaps in the plastic model, watered down to the consistency of thick milk and loaded up the brush then simply brushed it in. After a couple layers the gaps were non existent.
Frankly, I love it, and I am looking forward to testing out some sculpting techniques with it. Have some ideas for pockmarked skin.
Cheers
Matt

2ndCompanyVeterans
02-10-2011, 08:45
[QUOTE=Magot;5815881]itīs a pity that they need to release such a product due to the awful quality of the fine Cast resin models which require a lot of touch up work to do on them.QUOTE]

We had green stuff resin for metal, nothing new here maybe a bit late coming out. I am guessing the files are like the ones in boots for ladies nails just under the citadel logo. They are cheap though so no biggie there.

Metal:
Pin Drill
Vice Clamp
Green Stuff
Modeling knife
Files
Paper clips for pinning
Saw
Dremel
Super Glue

Fine Cast
Super Glue
Modeling knife
Green Stuff Lite
Files
Brush thing

Looks like my tool box has just shrunk also looking in WD these items seem quite cheap too.

MagosHereticus
03-10-2011, 07:12
sounds good, the reviews in this thread are promising

Magot
03-10-2011, 09:22
[QUOTE=Magot;5815881]itīs a pity that they need to release such a product due to the awful quality of the fine Cast resin models which require a lot of touch up work to do on them.QUOTE]

We had green stuff resin for metal, nothing new here maybe a bit late coming out. I am guessing the files are like the ones in boots for ladies nails just under the citadel logo. They are cheap though so no biggie there.

Metal:
Pin Drill
Vice Clamp
Green Stuff
Modeling knife
Files
Paper clips for pinning Still use them for fixing the finecast models on the bases
Saw for conversions, also needed with fine cast
Dremel You donīt need a Dremel if you have a Pin Drill
Super Glue

Fine Cast
Super Glue
Modeling knife
Green Stuff Lite
Files
You still need the small modeling files, the 1/4" Lady Files are fine for the lager parts, but the realy tiny little pieces require a small modeling file if it is metal or fine cast
Brush thing

Looks like my tool box has just shrunk also looking in WD these items seem quite cheap too.

Maybe your toolbox is shrunken, How about your traveling cost? I had to return the fine cast models to the shop due to awful quality, and I need to return it to the shop, canīt sent it to Nothingham from the Netherlands......

But maybe you are right, and I need to re-direct my frustration for the Super Duper Fince Cast Models, to what it is: the Fine Cast Models and not to the new liquid green stuff.
Cheaper material, Higher shop prices and poor qualitiy, not one singel model stayed in my hobby room for the first time, it always is a second or a third one.

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd463/magot1/nieuw%20gekochte%20Skaven%20modellen/DSC05660.jpg

Just a small example, this is the 3rd model and it still needed 5 serious repairs, the most critical one on the top of the cloack swining thrue the air.

Perhaps my frustration was less when GW didnīt raised the prices for these models, but instead lowerd them due to lower production costs, but no they want to eat from both sides..................

jack da greenskin
03-10-2011, 14:21
http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd463/magot1/nieuw%20gekochte%20Skaven%20modellen/DSC05660.jpg

Just a small example, this is the 3rd model and it still needed 5 serious repairs, the most critical one on the top of the cloack swining thrue the air.

Just for what its worth, I had a snikth requiring the same amount of work in the same areas.

lilloser2010
03-10-2011, 18:45
I've been working with liquid green stuff over the weekend and I have to say, I'm a fan; but I doubt I'd buy it again if Vallejo's brand is of the same quality.

For those interested, I have written a review of which can be found here (http://loserstudio.blogspot.com/2011/10/liquid-green-stuff-review.html#more).

LilLoser

Verm1s
03-10-2011, 19:25

And isn't Green Stuff Toxic/Hazardous and doesn't this Liquid stuff have a non toxic thing somewhere? probably because it's got nothing to do with Kneadite, it just shares GW's Green Stuff title.

And kneadatite green stuff isn't 'toxic/hazardous' either

It is amazing, im sure its a wattered down apoxy

It may be amazing, but if it was a pre-mixed epoxy you'd open the pot to find a solid lump. (Insert GW paint wisecrack here)
Speaking of which, I'd guess it's as much use for sculpting or casting as paint or PVA. But more expensive.
Speaking of that, you guys know you can get toothbrushes and emery boards at poundland...?

winterdyne
03-10-2011, 21:16
I've been working with liquid green stuff over the weekend and I have to say, I'm a fan; but I doubt I'd buy it again if Vallejo's brand is of the same quality.

For those interested, I have written a review of which can be found here (http://loserstudio.blogspot.com/2011/10/liquid-green-stuff-review.html#more).

LilLoser

From what you describe, right down to the slightly powder dried state it's identical to Vallejo's stuff, just with a green dye in it. I echo the sentiment that the product is damn useful, and should have been released years ago. But still after the debacle which is Finecast (that really really needs it!) the timing is such that, ironically, the release of a good product is only further angering folks. Same for the brushes, and emery boards. Expensive, but in a one-stop-shop aimed at one-stop-shoppers that's not a problem.

lilloser2010
03-10-2011, 22:57
@ Winterdyne: I've bought a pot of vallejo's plastic putty to for a direct comparison. I'll amend the article with my findings, but from what you have described in earlier posts I believe it is the same product.

I agree that part of the reason GW is getting such a negative response to this product is due to it being marketed as a fix for fine cast. If it were simply marketed as a filler for those inevitable gaps that appear in model construction, I think people would be generally more accepting of it. The frustrations surrounding fine cast will colour peoples perceptions of any product they release alongside it.

LilLoser

Magot
03-10-2011, 23:58
@ Winterdyne: I've bought a pot of vallejo's plastic putty to for a direct comparison. I'll amend the article with my findings, but from what you have described in earlier posts I believe it is the same product.

I agree that part of the reason GW is getting such a negative response to this product is due to it being marketed as a fix for fine cast. If it were simply marketed as a filler for those inevitable gaps that appear in model construction, I think people would be generally more accepting of it. The frustrations surrounding fine cast will colour peoples perceptions of any product they release alongside it.

LilLoser

Thank you for putting it so nicely, but in fact you hit the nail on the top!
as I said before, Iīm so disappointed about the fine cast, indeed everything connected to it fuels my angry. sorry. :mad:

But for the good sake, I will give it a try.............
and let you honestly know what I think of it.

Magot
04-10-2011, 00:07
Just for what its worth, I had a snikth requiring the same amount of work in the same areas.

Funny thing is: I bought the first one in San Francisco ...
I returned it in Amsterdam, and I went back to Amsterdam for the third model.

Interesting fact is that the San Francisco model was cast with a mold in the USA, the Amsterdam model was cast with an English mold......
What would that tell us ? Yes exactly: both molds where taken from the same and obviously wrong model... ??

The shop manager in Amsterdam assisted me with the difficult part of Green stuffing the Cloak Top, because I didnīt believe it would do the trick. But it did. Good Job shop manager of GW Amsterdam !!;) and Good job for the Green Stuff......

shelfunit.
04-10-2011, 08:23
snip.. I echo the sentiment that the product is damn useful, and should have been released years ago.... snip

Exactly - had they released this (much) earlier, I think very, very few complaints about it would be heard, as it is, it's still a very good product (although you have swayed me into buying the vallejo PP to try first), but will forever be tainted by the idea it's just a Finecast repair kit.

winterdyne
04-10-2011, 11:07
In fact I think had the product been released years ago, and had the consumer base gotten used to using it, Finecast itself wouldn't have had quite so bad a negative reaction. With these liquid surfacing putties, the 'acceptable' or at least 'expected' flaws in finecast (fine surface bubbles, perhaps a little pitting) are extremely easy fixes. As is, though the timing is so wrong as to be laughable. Who schedules these releases?

Kontempt
04-10-2011, 13:27
I saw this when I went in to return a Finecast sith serious air bubbles. Nearly choked on my milkshake at the irony. "We know our stuf is flawed so buy this and this and this to fix our subpar product that you have shelled out too much on in the first place." If I sound bitter it's because I've had 4 Finecasts and not one has been good.

Starscream24
04-10-2011, 14:29
Looks like a runnier version of Squadron's green putty to me!

http://www.squadron.com/ItemDetails.asp?item=SQ9050

Squadron putty has a toothpaste texture to it.
I've been using it for years, and it's great stuff.

Magot
04-10-2011, 15:43
Looks like a runnier version of Squadron's green putty to me!

http://www.squadron.com/ItemDetails.asp?item=SQ9050

Squadron putty has a toothpaste texture to it.
I've been using it for years, and it's great stuff.

:mad: Can not be shipped by Air................

Socaddict
04-10-2011, 20:01
Except Squadron putty is toxic.

jack da greenskin
04-10-2011, 20:48
Except Squadron putty is toxic.

Makes me really pretty glad I'm only using it on miniatures and not eating it.

Kronos
04-10-2011, 21:20
I'm pretty hyped about this, I know it supposed to be used as a filler, but I'm going to try to use it to texture things when i do my sculpts, I don't know what the consistency will be like but will hopefully save me the money and time of rolling out gs in flat strips to eliminate extremely flat surfaces for the skin of large models.

nurgle_boy
04-10-2011, 23:18
I'm curious about this. Having played with doing full 2-part casts using instant mould, I've found the main issue is getting all of the detail filled with greenstuff. How do you think it would work if I first coated the mould in this, to cap all the detail, then bulked it out with 'real' greenstuff? Would the detail hold, or would it be too fragile? Anyone willing to give this a try, before I'm forced to do it myself?

Lars Porsenna
05-10-2011, 02:40
I'm curious about this. Having played with doing full 2-part casts using instant mould, I've found the main issue is getting all of the detail filled with greenstuff. How do you think it would work if I first coated the mould in this, to cap all the detail, then bulked it out with 'real' greenstuff? Would the detail hold, or would it be too fragile? Anyone willing to give this a try, before I'm forced to do it myself?

I think it would be much easier to just use 5-minute or 20-minute epoxy as a casing agent. Less work, more consistent results. I "paint" the mold with it, to ensure no bubbles, then when that film is cured, just start dumping in more. Pretty easy to do.

Damon

Verm1s
05-10-2011, 13:22
Expensive, but in a one-stop-shop aimed at one-stop-shoppers that's not a problem.

I've heard this kind of thing a lot but I still can't get my head around it. Maybe convenient for the filler putty, but for the other, more mundane stuff - GW is the only shop of any type that some people visit, or even walk past?

Lars Porsenna
05-10-2011, 13:42
I've heard this kind of thing a lot but I still can't get my head around it. Maybe convenient for the filler putty, but for the other, more mundane stuff - GW is the only shop of any type that some people visit, or even walk past?

It's not that: it's the situation where you go in to buy some Space Marines, realize you need to get a bottle of superglue, so you might as well get it here, rather than walk down the street (or, if you are in the US, drive a few miles to the location). Sure it's a bit more expensive than the superglue at Home Depot, but really, not too expensive in the broad range of things, and besides, Lost is coming on. Got to get moving...

Damon.

M'ichal
05-10-2011, 16:36

heck, I could not believe how hard it is to find a drill bit just like the GW one. I wasted so much time and nerves that I got fed up with visiting hardware stores and just bought the GW one in the end. Should've just done it right away.

Hobby knive, on the other hand - $1 in a dollar store and been serving for 3 years now =)

CamNZ
06-10-2011, 04:31
I picked up a pottle of this yesterday. It has a similar consistency to my older foundation paints. It fills small gaps, i.e join lines. It shrinks a bit also. Will definitely takes me some time to figure out how to use it properly.

New Cult King
06-10-2011, 05:17
If it works as advertised, I'd like to get some. Could come in very handy for me.

Sleazy
06-10-2011, 13:38
Gonna pick some of this up on way home. Looks like it could be perfect for things like the manticore with its longs joins down its belly and thigh.

Should be good for the giant too as he has a noticable join down his sides.

For once I'm not sceptical, I dont think its just there for finecost minis.

susu.exp
08-10-2011, 01:31
So, itīs basically tinted acrylic moddeling paste? Nice, Iīll stick with the stuff from my local art store...

ctsteel
08-10-2011, 03:17
They say it's sandable - are the modelling/texture pastes like that or are they too soft?

Just bought a pot from my LGS as I like the idea of covering join lines etc for my plastic and metal minis - not home yet so can't comment on first impressions yet.

susu.exp
08-10-2011, 12:43
I never had to sand a paste, but it would depend on the medium-filler ratio. I.e. if your modeling paste isnīt sandable, it needs some more filler. Usually thatīs marble dust, but chalk powder works as well. So you could easily adjust this for your own needs.

koran
09-10-2011, 00:07
I got a pot of this stuff to try it out on a few cracks in a milliput bust I had made but dropped :(

It worked like a charm and could indeed be filed. Now Ive never tried using any of the other liquid fillers that have been mentioned (I put trying them out on my list of things to do) but so far Im happy with it.

The Boatman
09-10-2011, 23:13
I will definitely be buying this for the gaps between arms and torso on my ogres. A worthwhile and convenient product!

Nogginthenog
11-10-2011, 09:52
You can make your own.

Squadron putty plus thinners , add as much or as little as you want, get it as runny or solid as you need for the job at hand.

Or buy Mr Surfacer, which is the same as 'liquid green stuff' but grey.

All available , to those who mentioned 'no air shipping' in reference to squadrons own site, from more or less any model shop in the UK.

The other option often mentioned is vallejo putty, which is a little different in that its a solid rather than a liquid, but not as solid as normal greenstuff or putty filler.

The trick with vallejo putty is to use plenty, fill the holes/gaps as required, then wait a couple of minutes until it just starts to set, wet a cotton bud (just a little moisture is all thats required) , and wipe over the surface, the excess putty wipes away, leaving the holes/gaps filled neatly with no sanding needed.

tu33y
11-10-2011, 10:33
its poxed for home molding.... found that out this morning...

Dæmon
11-10-2011, 10:40
its poxed for home molding.... found that out this morning...

so watered down wall filler? Thats what i use to fill gaps on models.
$3 for a liter. :evilgrin:

75hastings69
13-10-2011, 11:55
All the release of this product says to me is that the quality of finecrap minis is not going to change for the better.

This product says gw were aware of all the air bubbles etc in their flawed finecrap products but rather than fixing the problem at source they took the opportunity to sell more stuff so people can fix their rubbish product themselves at additional expense!! The best thing is GW have got it exactly right most of their customers will accept the dross that is finecrap AND pay for liquid greenstuff to sort out airbubbles, at the same time as GW have further maximised their profits by moving away from metal to the dismal casting medium that is finecrap!

Wonder what they'll release to stop models warping and thin bits curling up???

ctsteel
13-10-2011, 12:21
GW branded hair dryer of course - moulded to look like a meltagun

BFalcon
13-10-2011, 14:33
ctsteel: the scary thing is, they may actually do just that... :(

ihavetoomuchminis
13-10-2011, 15:02
All the release of this product says to me is that the quality of finecrap minis is not going to change for the better.

This product says gw were aware of all the air bubbles etc in their flawed finecrap products but rather than fixing the problem at source they took the opportunity to sell more stuff so people can fix their rubbish product themselves at additional expense!! The best thing is GW have got it exactly right most of their customers will accept the dross that is finecrap AND pay for liquid greenstuff to sort out airbubbles, at the same time as GW have further maximised their profits by moving away from metal to the dismal casting medium that is finecrap!

Wonder what they'll release to stop models warping and thin bits curling up???

I agree with you on the finecast topic (along with other topics).

Seeing how positively people react to this, i can see them selling a cubic centimeter of green putty for 20,25 euros with a picture of Logan Grimnar while saying "do it yourself! but first you must buy us all the tools to do it. Our models are the best of the best"

xxRavenxx
13-10-2011, 22:43

I'd buy that...

paddyalexander
14-10-2011, 07:48
I agree with you on the finecast topic (along with other topics).

Seeing how positively people react to this, i can see them selling a cubic centimeter of green putty for 20,25 euros with a picture of Logan Grimnar while saying "do it yourself! but first you must buy us all the tools to do it. Our models are the best of the best"

I've been saying that for a while now. Citadel Selfcast :evilgrin: And of course there won't be enough putty inluded to actualy make the listed model.

AlphariusOmegon20
14-10-2011, 10:44

Shhhh! Don't give them any ideas.

Though I'll admit I'd buy one if they did. I work with FW enough that I should have a dryer, but I don't.

I've been using the hot water method.

stahly
14-10-2011, 14:06
Garfy from Tale of Painters picked up a pot of Liquid Greenstuff and here is what he says: http://taleofpainters.blogspot.com/2011/10/review-liquid-greenstuff.html

Personally, I really dislike Finecast and would prefer metal everyday, but to be fair you need special equipment for metal, too (a pair of hard duty clippers, diamond files, a juweler's saw, a pin vice...).

winterdyne
18-10-2011, 21:31
I've just picked some up. [edit: and spent a day playing with it] It's pretty good stuff; dries much more sturdily than the vallejo putty, sands nicely. Even takes a file. Responds well with water, and is pretty good at filling even large gaps, though you may need a few more applications.

A hairdryer is very useful with it; you can dry the putty off quick, apply another layer and really build it up.

The colour isn't something I was expecting to be a major plus, but it is; it's very easy to see (if that makes sense), and works particularly well over greenstuff work for smoothing; the white putties tend to exaggerate where they've filled, which makes judging how smooth the surface is (without working over a primed surface) more difficult.

9/10 for this one from me. This *really* should have been released a long time ago.

lbecks
19-10-2011, 03:41
I tried out my bottle the last couple of days. I'm liking it so far. I normally use milliput in liquid applications so i don't know how Liquid GD compares to other popular liquidy fillers.

Osbad
19-10-2011, 12:32
But how long does a pot of the stuff last before it dries up? It's hard enough to make a pot of GW paint last the distance. A pot of "Liquid greenstuff"??? It may be the dog''s proverbials at filling gaps, but if it only lasts a week before setting like a rock what's the point? On the other hand, if it lasts a year in the pot once opened, colour me impressed!

lbecks
19-10-2011, 21:33
But how long does a pot of the stuff last before it dries up? It's hard enough to make a pot of GW paint last the distance. A pot of "Liquid greenstuff"??? It may be the dog''s proverbials at filling gaps, but if it only lasts a week before setting like a rock what's the point? On the other hand, if it lasts a year in the pot once opened, colour me impressed!

This is what worries me too. Since it was just released I guess we'll see people coming in going "my liquid greenstuff dried out in 5 days!" On my own Liquid GS the stuff near the rim has already dried out so i added a little bit of water like any other paint pot I have.

shelfunit.
19-10-2011, 21:43
This is what worries me too. Since it was just released I guess we'll see people coming in going "my liquid greenstuff dried out in 5 days!" On my own Liquid GS the stuff near the rim has already dried out so i added a little bit of water like any other paint pot I have.

I'll be on the look out for your post in a week or so then :p Seriously though, if the reports keep coming in good and it does manage to last a decent amount of time could this be the "moon landing" product of the year (as finecast has fallen sadly short of this mark)?

winterdyne
19-10-2011, 21:58
It's no moon landing, but it's a damn sight more convenient than watering down milliput or indeed waiting bloody months for Maelstrom to send it.

Lars Porsenna
20-10-2011, 20:19
I have yet to have a GW paint in the previous generation of flip tops dry out. I pulled out a bottle of the orange (don't remember GW's whacky name) that I hadn't used in probably 5 years and was still good. I used Ice Blue last night in fact, which I hadn't used in at least 2 years, and it was still good.

Damon.

UberBeast
22-10-2011, 01:48
I've been using the vallejo "plastic putty" which is water soluable and comes in the same tube as their other paints. I might give the GW product a go, but it would have to be pretty good indeed to replace the vallejo product.

xxRavenxx
24-10-2011, 20:48
I've kept quiet while reading this thread, but I felt like adding a comment today.

I didn't feel like I had anything to contribute, but at the weekend, I aquired a carnifex on the cheap which was in fairly bad condition and in need of some love.

I had to cut its arms off, to reposition it, and file down some huge glue blobs, etc.

Following the extra damage I caused, I decided I'd try out the liquid greenstuff (Running a store, I really like to try products so I can offer advice on them afterwards - I hate selling people things they don't need.)

Anyway! The stuff is VERY useful. I diluted it slightly on a pallete using a brush, and gave a couple of good coats to the roughed up areas, attempting to smooth them and return them to shape. It dries quickly, and shrinks a little, hence multiple coats. Its a lot less work than greenstuffing, so is great when you have several small areas to fix up, and don't need to fill joints or sculpt.

I'd really reccomend it to anyone who needs to fix things up, or who likes filling gaps in certain kits. (The vents on the carnifex's back were in need of it.)

BFalcon
25-10-2011, 13:28
I've kept quiet while reading this thread, but I felt like adding a comment today.

I'm glad you didn't - I'm seriously considering the stuff now - or at least looking at the vallejo equivilent if it's too expensive to get hold of... thanks for sharing.

Scorpion0x17
25-10-2011, 23:23
Has anyone tried using it as a temporary adhesive?

(for example, for temporarily 'glueing' weapons arms on to figures, for painting of the arm and weapon, and so that they can later be removed for painting of areas hidden by said arm and weapon)

Lars Porsenna
25-10-2011, 23:44
No, but I use latex rubber available from Woodland scenics as a frisket, so I can leave arms off for painting, to glue on later.

Damon.

Scorpion0x17
26-10-2011, 00:07
I was thinking more for, well, I use a multi-layered painting technique, and, for example, I have a bunch of Cadians I want to paint as 'display pieces' - almost to the extent of treating each figure as though it were a character figure - and, normally I'd just assemble them and paint the parts that I can reach - but I want to do some fine shading and highlighting of their body armour, even in those hard to reach areas (behind their weapons/arms) - so I'm looking for something so that after I've done a layer on the body armour, I can then adhere the arms in place, paint a layer on those, apply any washes all over, allow to dry and then remove the arms to start the next layer on the body - thus, hopefully, getting better blending/continuity of colour across the whole figure (the way I've approached it in the past is simply to paint the arms seperately and glue them on when finished - but this can lead to discontinuity in colouration).

lbecks
26-10-2011, 00:42
I was thinking more for, well, I use a multi-layered painting technique, and, for example, I have a bunch of Cadians I want to paint as 'display pieces' - almost to the extent of treating each figure as though it were a character figure - and, normally I'd just assemble them and paint the parts that I can reach - but I want to do some fine shading and highlighting of their body armour, even in those hard to reach areas (behind their weapons/arms) - so I'm looking for something so that after I've done a layer on the body armour, I can then adhere the arms in place, paint a layer on those, apply any washes all over, allow to dry and then remove the arms to start the next layer on the body - thus, hopefully, getting better blending/continuity of colour across the whole figure (the way I've approached it in the past is simply to paint the arms seperately and glue them on when finished - but this can lead to discontinuity in colouration).

Have you tried brush on primer? Reaper makes a very good one.

Scorpion0x17
26-10-2011, 00:59
What using the primer as a kind of glue?

lbecks
26-10-2011, 01:21
What using the primer as a kind of glue?

Sorry, i completely missed your post that ended up on the bottom of the other page. I thought you talking about something else.

Bookwrak
28-10-2011, 21:30

Blu-tack would probably be your best solution.

Socaddict
31-10-2011, 19:11
So apparently lots of places are now out of stock of this.

And I was going to get some for the first time this weekend - my local GW was out, as was dark sphere when I visited them today.

Sucks.

Rosstifer
01-11-2011, 03:15
I've gone through 2 pots so far. Admittedly I have been assembling Gamezone models, which fit together horribly... But damn, I love this stuff, I could never get the hang of normal greenstuff.

shelfunit.
01-11-2011, 09:53
So apparently lots of places are now out of stock of this.

And I was going to get some for the first time this weekend - my local GW was out, as was dark sphere when I visited them today.

Sucks.

I've gone through 2 pots so far. Admittedly I have been assembling Gamezone models, which fit together horribly... But damn, I love this stuff, I could never get the hang of normal greenstuff.

Do we finally have a sales challenger to Devlan Mud? I will hopefully pick up a pot of this stuff on thursday....

winterdyne
01-11-2011, 15:55
Certainly at least as useful in my opinion as DM.