PDA

View Full Version : Guess the Eight Magic Items

Doommasters
01-10-2011, 06:46
Well so far we have seen a trend for 8 magic items in the new books :cries:

Now this is either a good thing or bad thing depending on who you talk talk to. So rather than getting into that debat I propose a we talk about what 8 magic items you would like to see for each army and why.

WHAT EIGHT-TEN MAGIC ITEMS WOULD YOU LIKE TO SEE FOR YOUR ARMY AND WHY? THEY CAN BE NEW OR OLD OF COURSE!

Wood Elves:

1) HoDA (Hail of Doom Arrow) 45 Points

This to me is a pretty iconic magic item for the WE and is a key component in my tactic for taking down the Hydra and/or Hellpit Abomination. I would like to see it recieve a change:

Can be used at the start of any shooting phase dealing S4 magical shooting attacks. The first time HoDA is used it deals 3D6 attacks, second time 2D6 attacks and the thrid and final time 1D6 Hits.

2) Wand of Witch Elm (dont have book with me for spelling) 55 Points

Wand of Witch Elm can only be taken by a Spell Weaver and grants the bearer +1 to dispel and the ability to reroll failed dispell attempts.

I think it would be fluffy to add the +1 to dispell and i don;t think this makes the item broken

3) Bow of Lorywen 50 points

Attacks have the snipe special rule and grants the bearer +1 to hit (assuming We have a special rule that excludes them negatives of multiple shots)

Magic weapon that is often used but could do with a few changes to make it great! IMO WE charcters that are used as archers should be able to snipe their targets.

4) Arcane Arrows 35 points

Arcane Arrows grant the weilder +1 attack and ignore armor

If you have a magic bow you need some arrows to go with it, This would combo well with the bow above while leaving few points for additional magic items to make a Highborn archer broken.

5) Armor of the Forest 40 Points

Light Armor, 5+ ward and -1 to hit. If the bearer is within a forest the ward save is increased to a 3+

WE never have had heavy armor and the likes, however it is fitting that when within a forest they become harder to kill.

6) Way Stones 25 points each does not count towards a charcters item allowance

Way Stones must be placed in forests before deployment. 1 unit each turn that is within a forest and is not in combat may teleport to another forest that contains a Way Stone on a role of a 2+. May take a maximum of 3 Way Stones.

Fits the fluff of We and provides unique tactical options

7) Enchanted Forest 75 points and does not count towards a charcters item allowance

Before deployment the Wood Elves may place a forest no bigger than 6" anywhere on the playing field.

Goes well with the way stones and at 75 points seems like a fair investment. Combines with the forest WE get for free to guarantee you will have atleast 2 forests for way stones.

8) Spirit Sword 85 Points

Grants +2 strength and parries any close combat attack including thunder stomps on a 3+. For every wound inflicted on a monstrous model, they must take an initiative test and it if is failed they take D3+1 wounds. If they pass they just take the 1 wound.

Pretty fluffy IMO and means a tricky Wood Elf Highborne can take on goliath.

m1acca1551
01-10-2011, 07:17
Vampire counts;
- WS helm, increase to 55pts makes for fluffy Necrach themed armies
- Vampire sword
- Cadaverous cuirass (only if we don't get access to mundane armour choices)
cant think of any more, having a brain failure haha i don't want the drakenhoff banner unless you take Manfred/Vlad/Konrad (if the latter 2 make an appearance in the new book) :shifty:
Trying to think of some new items but none spring to mind

RanaldLoec
01-10-2011, 07:39
Remember that Ogres have snuck upto 10 items and a few big names.

Sooooo don't forget the Kindreds and Sprites.

Now this is either a good thing or bad thing depending on who you talk talk to. So rather than getting into that debat I propose a we talk about what 8 magic items you would like to see for each army and why.

WHAT EIGHT MAGIC ITEMS WOULD YOU LIKE TO SEE FOR YOUR ARMY AND WHY? THEY CAN BE NEW OR OLD OF COURSE!

Wood Elves:

This to me is a pretty iconic magic item for the WE and is a key component in my tactic for taking down the Hydra and/or Hellpit Abomination. I would like to see it recieve a change:

Can be used at the start of any shooting phase dealing S4 magical shooting attacks. The first time HoDA is used it deals 3D6 attacks, second time 2D6 attacks and the thrid and final time 1D6 Hits.

Wand of Witch Elm can only be taken by a Spell Weaver and grants the bearer +1 to dispel and the ability to reroll failed dispell attempts.

I think it would be fluffy to add the +1 to dispell and i don;t think this makes the item broken

Attacks have the snipe special rule and grants the bearer +1 to hit

Magic weapon that is often used but could do with a few changes to make it great! IMO WE charcters that are used as archers should be able to snipe their targets.

If you have a magic bow you need some arrows to go with it, This would combo well with the bow above while leaving few points for additional magic items to make a Highborn archer broken.

Light Armor, 5+ ward and -1 to hit. If the bearer is within a forest the ward save is increased to a 3+

WE never have had heavy armor and the likes, however it is fitting that when within a forest they become harder to kill.

6) Way Stones 25 points each

Way Stones must be placed in forests before deployment. 1 unit each turn that is within a forest and is not in combat may teleport to another forest that contains a Way Stone on a role of a 2+. May take a maximum of 3 Way Stones.

7) Enchanted Forest 75 points and does not count towards a charcters item allowance

Before deployment the Wood Elves may place a forest no bigger than 6" anywhere on the playing field.

Goes well with the way stones and at 75 points seems like a fair investment.

Grants +2 strength and parries any close combat attack including thunder stomps on a 3+. For every wound inflicted on a monstrous model, they must take an initiative test and it if is failed they take D3+1 wounds. If they pass they just take the 1 wound.

Doommasters
01-10-2011, 07:47
Remember that Ogres have snuck upto 10 items and a few big names.

Sooooo don't forget the Kindreds and Sprites.

Yea I would hope they keep them :) But don't have time write ideas for the whole book. Juts interesting to see what ideas people can come up with and what items are important to people.

Aluinn
01-10-2011, 08:04
For Vampire Counts, the items that I'd like to see and which I think have a reasonable chance of returning are:

-Blood Drinker (not limited to Vampires, and thus being a sort of rolled-together version of current Blood Drinker and Tomb Blade)
-A new weapon that grants Heroic Killing Blow, with some further bonus for Wights as they will probably still already have standard KB
-Cadaverous Cuirass (interesting effect not covered by BRB items)
-Nightshroud (same as above; also nice to have caster armor in a list that relies very heavily on them, especially if a Necromancer Lord is introduced)
-Gem of Blood (hopefully working automatically rather than on a 2+)
-Wristbands of Black Gold (allows you to field characters without a bunker more easily, which is nice, because bunker units are kind of lame; underrated item IMO)
-Black Periapt (with points increase, probably to 25--this is potentially overpowered but it also a very interesting item to use compared to those that just grant +1 power/dispel dice)
-"Nerfed" version of the Drakenhof Banner that grants 5+ Regen for a lower price, or, alternatively, a standard that causes harsh penalties to Ld tests for the purposes of taking Fear checks

I really would not like to see Helm of Commandment return, because its existence basically invalidates combat Lords as a viable competitive option--there's no reason to take them when a caster Lord can also grant a huge, passive buff to combat units, and of course can be vastly better at magic. Moreover, it greatly helps a VC player to pile multiple buffs onto a single deathstar unit, thus encouraging us to take deathstars, and finally exists as a crutch which justifies some combat units (i.e. everything but Ghouls and Grave Guard) being worse for their points than they should be. As long as it exists, devs will look at units and say: "This should be cheaper, but wait! It can have WS7 and re-rolls to hit! If we made it cheaper, it would be broken with Helm and Vanhel's." That's a fallacy, IMO (the way to account for this would be to make Helm extremely expensive), but it happens all the time in GW design. It contributes to VC having this paradigm where they're insanely good in combat if they're fighting one at a time with one of their best units, but otherwise quite bad at it, and that limits your tactical options pretty severely. Helm has to go, IMO.

If they wanted to attach a WS buff to Wight Kings, as Tomb Princes have in the TK book, I think that would be a much better approach.

dragonet111
01-10-2011, 08:16
For Bretonnia I would like to have:

Sword of the Quest. I like the ignore armour and choice between hitting hard or having a better save and be quicker.
Birth-sword of Carcassonne. It's IMO a good weapon.

Gromril Great Helm. reroll and better save, yes please.
Cuirass of Fortune. I like my lord with Questing Vow and a heavy weapon and that armour is really good when you hit at Str 6.

Mantel of Damsel Elena, good protection stuff.

Tress of Isould. Because it's one of the iconic Bretonnian items.
Gauntlet of the Duel. Like it a lot.

Banner of the Lady. I'm probably the only person in the world to use it but it's iconic and I like it.

I don't add virtues but if I have to choose between magic items and virtues I would choose virtues every time, it's just more fluffy IMO. I hope I won't have to choose ;)

m1acca1551
01-10-2011, 08:21
I can see your point @aluinn in regards to Helm, if they allow Vamps to become decent CC fighters and remove the "if you take a cc lord you lose mentality" so unless they do something to allow a "safer option" of a cc vamp lord i can see the helm sticking around. If they don't include it and have a viable cc option, all hell will break loose.

I like the idea of the wight king WS buff.

The Drakenhoff i think can be countered so easily by the flaming banners every army can take that it is effectively over priced, drop the points?? but i like the idea of only allowed if a Von Cartsein is general (maybe tie into blood line traits special rules)

Your list makes sense, a think your on a winner :)

H33D
01-10-2011, 11:36
Wood Elves:

Magic Weapons

The Spirit Sword - 100 Points
The glistening blade seemed to scream with a thousand voices as the elf whirled it about. It seemed as though multiple swords screamed outwards around him, piercing his enemies as he danced amongst them. Ever cautious was he though, for sometimes the voices would call out his name...
Every time this model deals a wound with this weapon, nominate another model in base to base. You each roll a D6 and add your unmodified leadership which may not be granted by another model in the unit with higher leadership. If the bearer gets a higher number you may make an additional attack against that model. If the bearer gets a lower number, he makes a single attack against himself. This attack does not cause more attacks. The spirit sword does not allow ward saves.

The Blades of Loec - 50 Points
After finally busting through the gate after hours of battering the band of elves sought to find their separated brother dead and their foe gone. Instead, corpses were strewn all around the lone elf. Blood dripped from his twin blades as if to answer any questions his rescuers might have been about to ask.
Paired weapons. The bearer may re-roll failed rolls to wound. If the bearer is of the wardancer kindred, he may also re-roll failed to-hit rolls.

The Bow of Loren - 50 Points
Long have other races sought to replicate the efficiency and beauty of the Bow of Loren. Many years will pass before a ranged weapon is made that can rival the Bow of Loren's accuracy, and an eternity will pass before one will rival its beauty.
Longbow. The bearer gains the Sniper special rule and Multiple Shots (3). No modifiers are counted for sniping or firing multiple shots.

The Doombow - 50 Points
The puny ratmen looked skyward to see a cloud of arrows streaming their way. They turned and ran as fast as they could but only one survived. Upon returning to his warcamp he told his master of the many elves they faced, just as the elf wanted.
Longbow. Instead of firing normally, nominate one target in your weapon's range. Center a small round template over his base exactly as if you were firing a stone thrower. The template then scatters D6". All models under the template's final position suffer a S3 armor piercing hit. If the weapon is used after moving roll an artillery dice instead of a D6.

Enchanted Items

Moonstone of the Hidden Ways - 50 Points
"Let them go Telion, we are already far ahead of them."
One use only. At the end of the bearer's magic phase, if the majority of the bearer's unit is in a wood they may immediately be placed in another wood in the same formation facing any direction with as many models as possible inside the wood.

Arcane Items

Wand of Wych Elm - 60 Points
"Why is she waving that branch at us? Oh look it worked!"
One use only. The Wand of Wych Elm allows a single dispel roll to be re-rolled. This may be used to allow a wizard other than the bearer or even the army to re-roll its dispel attempt.

Ranu's Hearthstone - 30 Points
"I really hope this works..."
The bearer may roll an extra D3 when casting spells and dispelling. If the face with a 1 on the D6 turns up, the item is destroyed. This extra dice does not count as a power die.

Magic Banners

Banner of the Zenith - 50 Points
When the stars align correctly the banner glows eerily as time itself bends to its will.
Units must take an "Enemy sighted!" test when within 12" of the unit, not just 8". Enemy units taking "Enemy sighted!" tests within range of this effect roll an extra dice for the test.

Spites

A Murder of Spites - 25 Points
The dozen orcs scratched their heads as the lone Elf leaped forward towards them. As he flew threw the air he shouted out, "We outnumber them, charge!".
For each successful hit made by the model, he gains 2 additional S2 magical poisoned attacks.

A Muster of Malevolents - 25 Points
"Thanks! They almost snuck up on me. Haha not really!"
Thrown weapon. Causes 2D3 magical and poisoned attacks. This model ignores all targeting restrictions and shooting modifiers when making this attack.

An Annoyance of Netlings - 25 Points
It is hard enough to hit an Elf. Harder still when you are trapped within a web.
This model makes one single attack that hits on a 4+ at the beginning of combat before all other blows are struck. While the hit model is in base-to-base with this model, it gets -1 to its WS. This effect is cumulative and ends immediately upon the hit model and this model leaving base-to-base. Do not roll to wound with this attack.

Pageant of Shrikes - 25 Points
The barbarian glanced at the arrow that just struck his comrade dead. Before he could turn to charge his enemy, the glowing trail in the sky behind the arrow turned to strangle him.
When this model hits a unit with a ranged attack roll a D6. On a 3+ any model of your choice suffers an additional S4 magical hit. If a 6 is rolled, the hit wounds automatically.

Aluinn
01-10-2011, 11:38
I can see your point @aluinn in regards to Helm, if they allow Vamps to become decent CC fighters and remove the "if you take a cc lord you lose mentality" so unless they do something to allow a "safer option" of a cc vamp lord i can see the helm sticking around. If they don't include it and have a viable cc option, all hell will break loose.

I like the idea of the wight king WS buff.

The Drakenhoff i think can be countered so easily by the flaming banners every army can take that it is effectively over priced, drop the points?? but i like the idea of only allowed if a Von Cartsein is general (maybe tie into blood line traits special rules)

Your list makes sense, a think your on a winner :)

Lol, thank you :).

I think nerfing the Drakenhof down to a 5+ and making it significantly cheaper (say it costs 75 points or thereabouts) would basically solve the problem with it being easily counterable. As it stands, it is a huge buff (arguably well more than worth its points when you consider that it also protects the dude carrying it, who would probably be paying ~40 points just for that Regen save on himself) if it isn't countered, and a huge amount of points wasted if it is, so either scenario creates problems. If it is worse but cheaper, then it's less points wasted when your opponent has a counter, and less difficult for them to overcome if they do not.

Korraz
01-10-2011, 12:12
Runefang with a massive buff, Helstorm's Mace, Armor of Meteoric Iron, Speculum, + new Stuff for the Empire would be my guess.

OldMaster
01-10-2011, 16:50
I don't think that Chaos can do with 8-10 magic items. It's impossible.
It follows thus that no Chaos book will get an update in the 8th edition.

Agoz
01-10-2011, 17:08
if the ogre book is any indication, take the items you think will be in the list and add 35 pts to them :P

Korraz
01-10-2011, 19:34

What's the problem? An axe for Khorne, a whip for Slaanesh, an enchanted item for Nurgle, an arcane artifact for Tzeentch, and four more generic items. If everybody else can do with that number, why not Chaos?

GodlessM
01-10-2011, 19:36
So how long until somebody asks for the 'I Win Button' for 5pts that makes you auto-win on a 1+?

Okuto
01-10-2011, 22:12

You're suffering like the rest of us;), if anything you still get to keep daemonic gifts

GW chaos bias or no bias

Doommasters
01-10-2011, 22:24
You're suffering like the rest of us;), if anything you still get to keep daemonic gifts

GW chaos bias or no bias

This is going into an area that is outside of the threads discussion. Please dont de-rail the thread over the pros and cons of less magic items.

Rather put your energy in ways to get what is needed in the few items that will more than likely be available.

This is aimed at a few people in here, please make a positive contribution or don't bother.

Okuto
01-10-2011, 22:46
I was merely being sarcastic, there was no mention of the pros and cons of less magic items. The chaos gentleman simply said it was impossible for chaos to not follow the 8 magic item standard and I simply found the statement comical and had to mention it in a semi-satire manner that there is no way chaos will get special treatment thus I said "you're suffering like the rest of us(with a smiley I might add to show it was all in good fun)

I hardly see why you have decided to take the time and energy to mention my off topic remark(which is commonplace on these forums and all in good fun) and make a scene of it or why you have not mentioned the good gentleman above me who also made a "for fun" statement

Calm down good sir, it is a joke, last time I checked we could all joke and make catchy comments in hopes someone decides to use for their sig.:yes:

Quinzy
02-10-2011, 00:14

WHAT EIGHT-TEN MAGIC ITEMS WOULD YOU LIKE TO SEE FOR YOUR ARMY AND WHY? THEY CAN BE NEW OR OLD OF COURSE!

Wood Elves:

Attacks have the snipe special rule and grants the bearer +1 to hit (assuming We have a special rule that excludes them negatives of multiple shots)

6) Way Stones 25 points each does not count towards a charcters item allowance

Goes well with the way stones and at 75 points seems like a fair investment. Combines with the forest WE get for free to guarantee you will have atleast 2 forests for way stones.

No banner? Sucks for us. :(

Doommasters
02-10-2011, 02:53
I was merely being sarcastic, there was no mention of the pros and cons of less magic items. The chaos gentleman simply said it was impossible for chaos to not follow the 8 magic item standard and I simply found the statement comical and had to mention it in a semi-satire manner that there is no way chaos will get special treatment thus I said "you're suffering like the rest of us(with a smiley I might add to show it was all in good fun)

I hardly see why you have decided to take the time and energy to mention my off topic remark(which is commonplace on these forums and all in good fun) and make a scene of it or why you have not mentioned the good gentleman above me who also made a "for fun" statement

Calm down good sir, it is a joke, last time I checked we could all joke and make catchy comments in hopes someone decides to use for their sig.:yes:

Yes i was a bit heavy handed and I apologize

Doommasters
02-10-2011, 02:54
No banner? Sucks for us. :(

Feel free to add some...... I was just getting the ball rolling so to speak

Okuto
02-10-2011, 04:10
Yes i was a bit heavy handed and I apologize

No prob mate,glad we sorted it out

Trustey
02-10-2011, 05:22
Warriors of Chaos reduced to 8 items? I'll play this game :D

I can't see the familiars or any magic item with Chaos God fluff going anywhere. But here's what I'd have some fun with... mostly geared towards fluffy combat lords. Some of these are obvious combinations of fluff items that would no longer be present in the new army book.

Axe of Khorne: 50, great weapon (+2 strength, ASL), Killing Blow. Heroic killing blow when mounted on a juggernaut.

Neiglens Phylactery (talisman): 50, immune to poison, lore of death, and nurgle, auto pass all characteristics test (except leadership tests). Regen on 5-6. Pursuit rolls 1d6 only. When mounted on a palanquin models in base contact must take toughness test or lose one wound with no armor save allowed, and treat marshland as open ground.

Whip of Slaanesh: 50, +1 STR, bearer is immune to fear, if enemy takes an unsaved wound and has not yet made its attacks the chaos player may force it to allocate attacks to it own side. When mounted on a Steed of Slaanesh grants ASF.

Helm of Change (Magic Armor): 50, +1 to armor save. Wearer has always strikes first rule (subject to stupidity). Dispel one spell as dispel scroll, in addition the caster must pass a strength test or turn into a spawn instantly. All enemy models in base contact take S4 hit as the spawn-thing flails wildly in it's death throes. If mounted on a Disc of Tzeentch the bearer my reroll all characteristic tests.

Book of Secrets (enchanted item): 25, Bound Spell, Fireball or marked model takes the signature spell from his marks lore (all cast at power level 3). Doesn't make character a level 1 wizard, no +1 to cast, no channeling, no dispelling, no taking arcane items.

Infernal Puppet (enchanted item): 35, modify any roll made on miscast table by 1d6. On a roll of one, the miscast is not modified and is inflicted only on the bearer of the Infernal Puppet (and unit if specified by miscast table).

Banner of Rage: 50, all characters and troops to include mounts in a unit with this banner are subject to frenzy. They will never lose frenzy even if beaten in close combat. Troops who are affected by frenzy from an additional source (MoK, magical weapon, spells etc) gain one attack.

Festering Shroud: 50, models in contact with the bearer at start of Magic phase must pass a toughness test or suffer a wound with no armor save. After an enemy wounds this unit in close combat they suffer -1 WS for the rest of the game from exposing their weapons to the decaying guts, noxious gasses, and corrupt organs of the unit. Stacks with penalty from MoN.

OldMaster
02-10-2011, 09:17
=( aargh I appreciate your work Trustey, but I am simply not amused...
Giving them all a ton of effects isn't simply going to work with me..

Okuto
02-10-2011, 14:34
gotta make them cut backs somehow but I'm guessing GW is gonna have stuff past the 50 pt value....they seem to have a fetish of 100 pt items...

AlphariusOmegon20
03-10-2011, 17:44
gotta make them cut backs somehow but I'm guessing GW is gonna have stuff past the 50 pt value....they seem to have a fetish of 100 pt items...

The problem is Chaos doesn't any 100 pt. items (short of 1 banner at 125 pts.), and nobody in their right mind takes anything over 50 pts. anyways, as your power return for points cost isn't that great once you spend that many points out of that book.

N810
03-10-2011, 21:06
Bah...

Lizardmen only have like eight used items anyway.

Spiney Norman
03-10-2011, 23:20
Bah...

Lizardmen only have like eight used items anyway.

As many as 8? Thats funny, I've only ever used two items from the current LM book: cupped hands and occasionally the burning blade, but given that in most circumstances a normal great weapon is better and cheaper than the burning blade I haven't used that in a long time either.

Doommasters
03-10-2011, 23:31
Would be good to see some more ideas on how to provide armies with items that are both fluffy and usable.

I plan on postng some more up after work.

N810
03-10-2011, 23:47
I didn't say they where good items...

Okuto
04-10-2011, 00:03
The problem is Chaos doesn't any 100 pt. items (short of 1 banner at 125 pts.), and nobody in their right mind takes anything over 50 pts. anyways, as your power return for points cost isn't that great once you spend that many points out of that book.

Us TK players didn't have many good things above 50 pts in the old book and GW still found a way to stuff overpriced junk in out book:shifty: and they decided to add on things to raise the price on old items

It just kinda seems like it's the new thing they have, the eight items have to be things that range from 50pt to 100 pts....

I'm guessing the WoC eight items will be a rehash of the old items which tons of bells and whistles on them to jack their price up.

As if those of you who play WoC aren't paying enough pts for your guys as it is...:eyebrows: