PDA

View Full Version : Your most prized classic 40k model

Latro_
01-10-2011, 20:39
So just won these two on ebay. Got me thinking what is your most prized classic 40k model? or what model do you desire to own?

Probably for me its probably the old space wolf blood claw with power fist, its not very rare or valuable but still one of my fav models:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Xc_N7-mkcdQ/TIqtXzS2KSI/AAAAAAAAAuY/PtFtg84rG3Y/s200/Blood_Claws_Sergeant.gif

i'm aiming to get all the 90's CSM stuff. Its proving expensive :P

Korraz
01-10-2011, 21:18
I don't think I own any real classics, but I'd love to own that Calgar Diorama or Leman Russ. He was available for some time when I started, but I think his gone for good by now. At least I can't find him.

Latro_
01-10-2011, 21:19
what this guy:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Leman-Russ-Primarch-/280746020582?pt=UK_Toys_Wargames_RL&hash=item415dc44ee6#ht_500wt_1314

;)

lilloser2010
01-10-2011, 21:31
Good thread, I love indulging in a bit of nostalgia.

My most prized classic model is the old Games day space marine commander:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v257/sinclair53/_MG_9167.jpg

I won this in a cheap lot on ebay (buried away amid ruined 2nd ed. plastic orks and space marines), but he came without his cape. I bought another lot the very next day (different seller) of two classic metal space marine capes to use with my captain. I don't know what the odds are on this, but when I received the capes, one of them was actually from the Games day Captain model!

Wonderful miniature, and one that was definitely on my 'to get list' for a long time. Until I can find someone selling the classic metal thunderhawk gunship, the Games Day captain is my current prized classic miniature.

LilLoser

Hrw-Amen
01-10-2011, 21:40
I think my most prized one would be my original issue predator model. The one with the old Rhino chasis and the round turret with the long barrel and two smaller guns at the side. I wanted the matching Landraider but could not afford it at the time. Maybe I'll splash out on the FW one?

FabricatorGeneralMike
01-10-2011, 21:49
My two most prized models are;

Origional Libby with power sword. (one of my first 40k models ever)

Old school inq with metal cape and bp

Old school mk VI marine with skull face.

Great thread btw. =o]

djhowitzer
01-10-2011, 21:56
dark reaper exarch with web of skulls

Johnmclane
01-10-2011, 22:02
got all of the old berzerkers as noted in the top post ... but my best minis are the old space pirate punkrockstyle eldars. still some unpainted support platform crew models. Don'l like the old farseer/warlocks though ... small and insecty :)

Okuto
01-10-2011, 22:07
rebel grotz from gorkamorka....

Tay051173096
01-10-2011, 22:10
Rock slannesh marines and classic raptors, love them

Korraz
01-10-2011, 22:12
what this guy:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Leman-Russ-Primarch-/280746020582?pt=UK_Toys_Wargames_RL&hash=item415dc44ee6#ht_500wt_1314

;)

Yes, that guy. Unfortunately, shipping to Austria is something people on ebay rarely consider. And if he turns up, his price is either ridiculous, or the shipping costs suggest that the package is delivered by the sculptor himself.

Sykorax
01-10-2011, 22:25
The blue plastic genestealers. Loved their fluff and really what got me into 40k. Also the first models I picked up :)

Bold_or_Stupid
01-10-2011, 22:43
Advanced Space Crusade Scouts. I think I may have the old Calagr set somewhere upstairs, must check...

trigger
01-10-2011, 22:47
Most of the second ed wolf stuff , which most of is now in my current wolf army
Missing 1 of the scouts and the power armour wg with sword
And ulric , I know you can still get him , but at nearly 20 years old he is still a great figure ( shame about the rules)

Lastchancers.co.uk

superdupermatt
01-10-2011, 23:31
Mine will be the space marine in mk8 with the power maul. I finally found him on ebay and NOTHING is going to stop him from being myyyy.... precioussssssssssss.

Eighties-Matt
01-10-2011, 23:43
It has to be my old metal Chaos Terminator, armed with a reaper and a chainfist, and terribadly converted to be a Plague Termie. Still got him, I'll never get rid of him, he killed a Baneblade the first day the plastic kit came out, and had a fearsome reputation among my schoolmates back then.

Sildani
02-10-2011, 01:38
My Bonesinger. Not exactly classic, but not made anymore either! Lovely mini.

agurus1
02-10-2011, 01:39
The Inquisitor with extended plasma pistol, and bionic arm, and a shash covering his face like clint eastwoods Unforgiven in space lol

Monospot
02-10-2011, 01:43
My 5 Squig Katapults. My original Ork Raider minis. My 3 RTB01 Tactical squads. My Bad Moonz Wierdboy.

And many others.

Cosmic_Girl
02-10-2011, 01:56
My Ephrael Stern, who leads my Seraphim.

Cosmic.

herbtarkel
02-10-2011, 01:57
My current favourite old 40k models are my Valhallans. Nothing rare about them, but when I started in 2nd edition, I had bought one box of them, and then sold them. A few years back I was lucky enough that the-one-who-must-be-obeyed let me order enough Valhallans to keep me busy for years to come. Still need a few things like heavy weapons teams, but they are great characterful sculpts. I have the 2nd ed. IG codex to go with them too.

The army I miss - my old 2nd edition Ork army, the first army I ever built. It started off as primary colour insanity (as per the codex!) but following White Dwarf 222 when Adrian "Ork God" Wood had the first of the dark coloured orks, that were gritty, facing off against the Praetorians, I repainted all mine gritty. Sold them after I decided I didn't like 3rd edition; and the guy I sold them to just wouldn't sell them back to me years later. He let me use them, though, which was good enough, I guess. But now he has moved, me too, and that army is long, long, gone...

thermopuke
02-10-2011, 02:04
Good thread,

I think the mini I have the most love for right now is the RTB01 marine that has reappeared in my current army, last time I used him must have been the late 80's and along with a couple of original metal terminators it's all I have left of my first army.

It's more the fact that he's a survivor of my lost youth than his classic stature that makes me love him but he's awesome either way.

BattleSarge
02-10-2011, 02:09
Got a couple of squats, exo armor on trike and the adept mech one. I do like the Inq. Term with the hood. The original Grey knights are still my Fav.

IcedAnimals
02-10-2011, 02:54
The oldest model I have now is the female commissar. Since all my 2nd edition necrons are lost except for a few scarabs. (but I prefer the new scarabs /shrug)

starlight
02-10-2011, 03:28
My first four GW models were the original Space Marine Medics...and they still have a special place in the collection. :) Not especially valuable or well made or anything, but they're special enough that I'll likely never convert/hack them up. :eek:

Nubl0
02-10-2011, 03:46
I have a load of ancient plastic beakie marines, were there plastic beakies back in RT? I also have a few lead beakeis, one of which has got TWO powerfists and is squating! I call him calgar jr.

Designer891
02-10-2011, 03:53
Original space marine with a shuriken catapult.

In rogue trader days a shuriken catapult had following fire and -2 armor save and was one of the best weapons in the game. I remember all marine players wanting that model in their tac squad.

To bad I lost that model in the Northridge earthquake :(

Wrath
02-10-2011, 03:54
My oldest would be my Leman Russ mini, Primarch not tank, or my twin RT chaos dreads. My favorite is the Reaper Terminators. They just look destructive,and actually use to be so.

Born Again
02-10-2011, 06:26
The most prized "classic" model I own? I don't know, really. I don't have anything particularly striking or rare from my early days in the hobby... I have a Land Raider with the underside signed by Jes Goodwin, which is pretty cool. Models I would like to own, however, include the old Ork Weirdboy that was being held and fired like a cannon by his Minderz, and the old Great Unclean One, who turns up fairly regularly on Ebay, but also in the wrong mix of components. I'm after a specific belly piece and it seems that people only ever sell the other 4 :shifty:

Souleater
02-10-2011, 09:14
One of the old 'concept' terminators that I've owned since GW released them. Very much of the old school of figure design, obviously.

He has been over the many years...a loyalist Terminator, an OM Inquisitor, and a Chaos Lord.

Never painted the poor guy mind you. :D

metro_gnome
02-10-2011, 09:24
My Tyranofex... an Armorcast Exocrine... so badass...

Spyral
02-10-2011, 09:27
Akeold Hellbrass and old skool ikit claw.

Jerrus
02-10-2011, 09:55
My Rogue Trader era Avatar, it feels so much more majestic than the 2ed one.

Welshdragon04
02-10-2011, 10:03
Mine's got to be that leman russ one mentioned a couple of times. Got that in a trade years ago for the final liberation pc game. Space wolves were my first army and I still love them.

AndrewGPaul
02-10-2011, 10:46
So just won these two on ebay. Got me thinking what is your most prized classic 40k model? or what model do you desire to own?

Probably for me its probably the old space wolf blood claw with power fist, its not very rare or valuable but still one of my fav models:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Xc_N7-mkcdQ/TIqtXzS2KSI/AAAAAAAAAuY/PtFtg84rG3Y/s200/Blood_Claws_Sergeant.gif

i'm aiming to get all the 90's CSM stuff. Its proving expensive :P

Ah! So it was you who sniped them away from me in the last second of the auction. Misbegotten wretch, so ye are. :)

The one I spent the most money on would be one of the 40K Zoats, but I'm still rather fond of the old set of six Space Marine Captains from 1991:

Citadel Catalogue 1, page 6 (http://www.solegends.com/citcat911/c2006smcommanders.jpg). I'm still trying to decide which Chapters the Space Marine Captain with Terminator Honours and Veteran Captain shouldbe from.

Mace1982
02-10-2011, 10:53
My fave mini has to be my space Santa by gee dub back in the day one the little bugger on eBay for the price of a pint a long long while back

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=53.502352,-1.333611

Latro_
02-10-2011, 10:55
haha you serious?

could of gone either way, i got em by 2 second lol.

There is another one just come up on ebay, i was gonna bid on that too but if you want it 'll hold off man. PM'd you the link.

DivineVisitor
02-10-2011, 11:02
Urlic the slayer, great model and still holds up with the current stuff.

solkan
02-10-2011, 19:55
You can't make me choose between my babies! :eek:

I have the old Realm of Chaos Chaos Champion with hood and rifle that I've used as CSM Lord several times. It's technically a 40k model. :o

OPULENCE
02-10-2011, 20:00
I have about 1200pts of Ultramarines all rogue trader models including two predators and the captain with the tiny sword! Always wanted a dread to go with them but have never got round to getting one off ebay.

I have the old captain that came with the old metal command squad box circa '98. Although not a true classic he was the first model of my now 6000pts Space Marine army and is always treasured by me.

And also a rogue trader inquisitor in terminator armour - a long time favourite of mine!

dwarfhold13
02-10-2011, 20:04
aww man... i'm normally a fantasy player now a days, but I started with 40k.. started with bugs in the day that you could put together the brood brothers lists.
I'd have to say, a few of my favorite models had to have been the hybrids or even the patriarch model.. i never could get my hands on the patriarch, but very cool.. kinda like a genestealer slann :)
also for some reason, what i remember most about the bugs was the Crab-ifex :)

Hendarion
02-10-2011, 20:06
Hmm... pricey classic 40k model? My Gyrinx I suppose.

Tomxj
02-10-2011, 20:23
I have an original Genetealer (http://www.collecting-citadel-miniatures.com/wiki/index.php/File:Purestrain_Genestealer_1_%28slotta_arms%29.jp g) mini with the "rope head" which i adore along with my 1st ed spacehulk set.

If GorkaMorka counts This is my stand in Marbo;

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z256/Tomxj/Steellegion022.jpg

I also have a bunch of Pre-slotta and early slotta Fantasy mini's including Pigmies! (http://www.solegends.com/citc/c27pigmies.htm) and original LotR miniatures from the 80s.

Old Skool!

Tom j

Tethylis
02-10-2011, 21:54
Most prized would probably have to be my squad of Harlequin jetbikers (http://www.solegends.com/citrt/harlequinjetbike.htm), they make great stand-in's for Warlocks on jetbikes. Although I must admit I'm still rather fond of my old guardian commander, Avele Swifteye (http://www.solegends.com/citrt/rt402eldarcommand.htm).

CaptainOtter
02-10-2011, 22:41
I've got some old fun ones, but my favorite is the second edition hive tyrant. Really looking forward to the day I feel skilled enough to paint him.

Isambard
02-10-2011, 22:50
Veteran Sergeant Centurius. In pristine blister.

Might be worth something someday....

Abaraxas
03-10-2011, 04:55
Well, all of my armies are RT/2nd ed models, but the most treasured for me are probably Russ and his wolves, my Freebooter mob, the running Genestealer Primarch, the magus with the staff and hybrid brood.

bildo
03-10-2011, 07:27
mine is my red gobbo figure....one day i will collect a micro art studio grot army to go with him, and ill own my very own stallingrad themed grot force

Hicks
03-10-2011, 07:35
Well he's not all that impressive, but my Necromunda Sniper (AKA kneeling Steel Legion dude) is one of my favorite rare minis.

Second place goes to my LE Lictor and third place to the classic plague marine champion with powerfist.

The Clairvoyant
03-10-2011, 08:27
That would have to be my entire marine army.

6 tactical squads of rtb01s
2 devastator squads converted from rtb01s
assault squad converted from rtb01s
full metal bike squad with a mix of metal mk1 and mk2 bikes, plus a couple of jetbikes and 2 metal attack bikes
4 mk1 rhinos
1 mk1 razorback (las/plas - from 2nd ed)
2 mk1 whirlwinds (from 2nd ed)
3 mk1 predators
5 mk1 land raiders
3 2nd ed landspeeders (one of which is a ravenwing one)
4 squads of original metal termies (plus a squad of later 1993-era termies)
leiutenant commander, chaplain and librarians all in mk6 armour.

AndrewGPaul
03-10-2011, 08:35
Veteran Sergeant Centurius. In pristine blister.

Might be worth something someday....

Bah. You're doing it wrong. Break that sucker out and paint it. :)

insectum7
03-10-2011, 08:39
That would have to be my entire marine army.

6 tactical squads of rtb01s
2 devastator squads converted from rtb01s
assault squad converted from rtb01s
full metal bike squad with a mix of metal mk1 and mk2 bikes, plus a couple of jetbikes and 2 metal attack bikes
4 mk1 rhinos
1 mk1 razorback (las/plas - from 2nd ed)
2 mk1 whirlwinds (from 2nd ed)
3 mk1 predators
5 mk1 land raiders
3 2nd ed landspeeders (one of which is a ravenwing one)
4 squads of original metal termies (plus a squad of later 1993-era termies)
leiutenant commander, chaplain and librarians all in mk6 armour.

^daaamn dude. Especially @ the bike squad. Those old metal bikes were super-rad. One of my favorite models was the "scout" marine or something, he was sitting on his bike looking through a scanner/binoculars thing.

I still have the old "ninja" assassin, with sandals and combi weapon.

Ordo Malleus Inquisitor in Terminator armor. The guy with the hood and the Psycannon.

I kept a metal Genestealer around, they're still my favorite version. (Though not the 'rope head' guy).

Up until last year I had a Genestealer Cult army, as well as a RT era Land Raider. Sold 'em though.

Somewhere around, not quite sure where, I oughta have two or three of the old Bloodthirsters.

AndrewGPaul
03-10-2011, 08:45
The Marine torso peering through binoculars, as well as one of the other torsos, started out as a Rhino crewman. There's a few others, lounging around on the front armour or hanging off the running bars.

Commotionpotion
03-10-2011, 09:17
Hmm, prized models...

My Armorcast Warhound and Reaver titans. Between them they have all the weapon options. OK, not as impressive in terms of sheer beauty as their FW successors, but much more practical as actual gaming pieces :D. Although you do need a socket wrench to assemble them!

Spoik
03-10-2011, 09:22
My old metal genestealers, Magus and Patriarch.

My IG Beastman sergeant.

My terminator-armoured Inquisitor with bionic leg.

Of these things I am fond.

self biased
03-10-2011, 16:47
this guy (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v131/selfbiased/daemonhunters/inquisitor01a.jpg).

LonelyPath
03-10-2011, 17:18
These days my prized 40k possessions are:

Genestealer Magus Familiars (though I had to buy more familiars since the originals I owned werestolen).
RT era Space Orks (especially the Mad Boyz)
Original Aspect Warriors
RT Land Raiders, Rhinos, Predators and Battle Wagons
RT GK Terminators.

Lars Porsenna
03-10-2011, 17:49
My most prized minis are actually from Fantasy, and consists of the Dwarf Gob-lobber. But from 40K I still have some of the original-original World Eaters (CSMs with blood letter heads) as well as the original bloodletters, not topped until the current kit, but so much better than their successors for a number of years...

I also still have a full set of original GW Lord of the Rings fellowship, a few surviving Eternal Champion figures (primarily Dorian Hawkmoon)...

Damon.

NixonAsADaemonPrince
03-10-2011, 18:08
I don't own any old models, but I do have a few recent OOP miniatures:

3rd Ed Space Hulk Terminators. I have two lots, and they're just brilliant. Amusingly, I bought the second set on their own without the accompanying game, and they were still a fair bit cheaper than getting brand new standard terminators.

3rd Ed Space Hulk Broodlord. Cracking model, just oozes menace.

Cadians Kasrkins. Simply tremendous models, I got them quite some time ago so they're coming round for a repaint to bring them up to scratch.

FabricatorGeneralMike
03-10-2011, 22:39
Advanced Space Crusade Scouts. I think I may have the old Calagr set somewhere upstairs, must check...

Oh wow, I forgot about those, I have two sets still on the sprue.... there are so many good figgies that GW has made over the years.

I wish I could get my hands on some of the old Titan crew with plastic arms.

luchog
04-10-2011, 03:45
My Bonesinger. Not exactly classic, but not made anymore either! Lovely mini.

Indeed it is. Haven't had the nerve to actually put it together and start painting, in case I screw it up.

My favorite classics that I currently own aren't 40k, they're all Necromunda, House Escher. Especially one of my converted juves. I really like the job I did on that one.

My favorite classic that I don't currently own, but will soon, are the old Goff Rockers. Back when GW still had a good sense of humour.

ETA: I also have about 2500+ points of classic Harlequins. Including a large number of Jetbikes and converted Wraithlords (the classic Wraithlords with a Harlequin bike canopy instead of the normal head). As much as I love the new Harlies, I will never stop playing these old guys.

Chem-Dog
04-10-2011, 03:52
Centurius and Genestealer Patriarch (not the sitting downone, unfortunately).

More recently Gideon Lorr.

Comrade Penguin
04-10-2011, 04:03
My goofy smiling 3rd edition hive tyrant with wings, he's killed so much in his time! His name was Trogdor back in high school (for those of you who remember Strong Bad).

Seth Partain
04-10-2011, 04:13
old school farseer one of my first models. i started with that the avatar and 3 falcons, but he is always my favorite.

Kloud13
04-10-2011, 05:42
I just stripped the paint off him so I can re-paint him, but one of the first mini's I bought was the Iron Hands Iron Father. My painting skill has improved over the years, so I figured I'd best do something with him.

I also love my old metal Tau Stealth Suits. I now have 3 units of 6. I just hope that if and when the Tau codex is re-done, they become a viable choice again.

Isambard
04-10-2011, 08:52
Bah. You're doing it wrong. Break that sucker out and paint it. :)

That's why I bought 2....

Born Again
04-10-2011, 09:19
Citadel Catalogue 1, page 6 (http://www.solegends.com/citcat911/c2006smcommanders.jpg). I'm still trying to decide which Chapters the Space Marine Captain with Terminator Honours and Veteran Captain shouldbe from.

The captain with terminator honours was one of the first models I ever got! I painted him (badly) as a Crimson Fist, have been thinking of digging him out and stripping him down for a decent paint job.

I also somehow forgot to mention my Space Hulk minis, which are not only brilliant, but of course highly prized!

CordovaLemonSlayer
05-10-2011, 18:54
My favorite model that I own would have to be the first Adeptus Custode mini that games workshop produced. This model is one of GW's earliest releases. It just looks awesome, and has that nostalgic "old school" feel.

MajorWesJanson
05-10-2011, 19:36
Epic Emperor Titan. Got 4 of them now, in various stages of construction/painting.

VenomBlood
05-10-2011, 20:01
I have both boss 1 (http://www.collecting-citadel-miniatures.com/wiki/images/d/d6/Scavvy_Boss_1.jpg) & boss 2 (http://www.collecting-citadel-miniatures.com/wiki/images/f/f2/Scavvy_Boss_2.jpg).
So I desperately need a final unreleased incarnation (http://www.collecting-citadel-miniatures.com/wiki/images/b/bb/Unreleased_-_Confrontation-Necromunda_Scavvy_King.jpg).

Nightshade1994
05-10-2011, 20:29
Would have to say that my favorite classic was the 2nd edition Thousand Sons. I think their intricately embossed armor and bolters are something the current Thousand Sons are distinctly suffering from a lack thereof.

self biased
05-10-2011, 21:24
old school farseer one of my first models. i started with that the avatar and 3 falcons, but he is always my favorite.

the one with the huge bug eyes? i love that model.

Santtu
05-10-2011, 21:34
Lord Macragge. When I finish my Ultramarines, he and his bodyguard are gonna lead them.