PDA

View Full Version : Cauldron of Blood

Capt._Jaelinek
02-10-2011, 14:47
I have a few questions regarding the Cauldron.

1. Can the Hags take Blessings of Khaine? As the Death Hag is a character and is allowed 50pts of Blessings, my opinion is yes. The Hags are champions from the witch elf unit and are allowed 25pts of Blessings each? It would be very cool to take Rune of Khaine for all models (+D3 attacks, EACH!) along with Manbane for the Death Hag.

2. The FAQ says to use the best Weapon Skill for the Cauldron, which is 6 for the Death Hag. So, all Cauldron close combat attacks are at WS6!? Awesome.

3. As the crew are only wound markers can the Death Hag be sniped or targeted by a sniping spell? It says specifically that the Death Hag is removed last.

Thanks everyone and if anyone has official info from GW Customer service that would be very helpful.

Lord Zarkov
02-10-2011, 14:51
1) No, it is not in their entry, which is separate to the unit one.

2) it only says to use the Death Hag's WS6 for incoming attacks, outgoing attacks are made with the relevant crew member's WS

3) The Death Hag cannot be sniped as crew do not exist separately from the war machine, and it says to remove her last.

Ravenar
02-10-2011, 15:20
I concur with Lord Z on #1 (well on all of them really). In fact, in 7th ed there was a FAQ to clear up the fact that CoB Hags did not receive the Khaine blessings unlike their unit champion look alikes.

Capt._Jaelinek
02-10-2011, 15:30
1) No, it is not in their entry, which is separate to the unit one.

2) it only says to use the Death Hag's WS6 for incoming attacks, outgoing attacks are made with the relevant crew member's WS

3) The Death Hag cannot be sniped as crew do not exist separately from the war machine, and it says to remove her last.

Definitely agree with you on 2 and 3. Still unsure on 1 though.

Thanks.

Lord Zarkov
02-10-2011, 17:01
With regards to 1) a similar situation occurs in an Empire army: An Outrider may be taken as a unit champion in a unit of Pistoliers, where he can be given a repeater pistol. Outriders can also be taken as a unit in their own right, but then they cannot take a repeater pistol as that is only an option for an outrider taken as a Pistolier unit champ, it is not available to others.

Similarly the WE unit champ Hag has the option for Blessings, the cauldron attendants do not, hence only the unit champ can take blessings.

Capt._Jaelinek
02-10-2011, 18:24
Ok, you convinced me. At least there is prescident.

Thanks.

Xzazzarai
02-10-2011, 22:05
1. No - they have no such options.

2. Yes, they all fight with WS6

3. She can not be the target of snipe spells. The cauldron is a warmachine with it's own set of rules - NOT a character.

Capt._Jaelinek
03-10-2011, 00:01
It's completely weird how they wrote these rules up. They really should have made it a unique item. A character becomes not-a-character because of an upgrade?

I agree with that analysis, but it's really strange. So, no challenges can be issued or accepted either.

Also, the Cauldron will fail all characteristic tests other than Toughness and Leadership tests. I knew the Initiative tests were bad, but how does this work against spells like Caress of Laniph (Death)? Would you use the Strength of the crew or assume Strength 0 for the Cauldron?

Mr_Rose
03-10-2011, 00:42
The Cauldron is a seventh edition object hacked into the eighth edition rules. When the DE book is redone it will almost certainly become its own "artillery" piece independent of any characters, like the Casket of Souls did. For now though, we have what we have.

nurgle5
03-10-2011, 01:52
A couple of quick questions about the cauldron: how does it work with the BSB upgrade for the hag? Can she still take a magic banner? Can a cauldron move?

Stupid questions I know, but I haven't seen one on table in a looooong time :o.

Capt._Jaelinek
03-10-2011, 03:03
A couple of quick questions about the cauldron: how does it work with the BSB upgrade for the hag? Can she still take a magic banner? Can a cauldron move?

Stupid questions I know, but I haven't seen one on table in a looooong time :o.

Surprising as this is a mainstay in many DE armies. Yes it can take a magic banner and it can move as a normal war machine. A Lichebone Pennant would be a nice magic banner!

sulla
03-10-2011, 06:26
A Lichebone Pennant would be a nice magic banner!I can't think why? MR doesn't stack.

If you really wanted to spend extra points on the unit, banner of swiftness seems the best choice to better keep up with the rest of the army.

nurgle5
03-10-2011, 10:50
Thanks for the info! Just wasn't sure how that worked because I've never seen a warmachine BSB. There aren't many DE players kicking about around here, so I only ever really see them at events and tourneys. For that reason, I'm considering starting up an army, so I wanted to know how that worked :p.

Capt._Jaelinek
03-10-2011, 23:50
I can't think why? MR doesn't stack.

If you really wanted to spend extra points on the unit, banner of swiftness seems the best choice to better keep up with the rest of the army.

Your right. I forgot MR doesn't stack except null talismans

Valnir
04-10-2011, 03:42
If a hag dies, does her portion of attacks disappear? Since I was pretty sure that each hag in essence only acts as a marker due to War machine rules :S

Capt._Jaelinek
04-10-2011, 03:53
If a hag dies, does her portion of attacks disappear? Since I was pretty sure that each hag in essence only acts as a marker due to War machine rules :S

Yes her attacks disappear. Just like any war machine they only get as many attacks as their crew generate. The war machine itself typically generates no attacks.