PDA

View Full Version : 2400 Wood Elves Tournament list

badgeraddict
02-10-2011, 14:45
Wow, it is still so tough to settle on one list with these guys its unreal. I need ranks, killing power and a shooting phase so here is what I have come up with thus far.

Feel free to comment, I'm aiming for a nice balanced list, no double Treeman, Treekin spam or anything like that. See what you think.

Wood Elf Highborn
(General; Light Armour)
The Bow of Loren [Allows bearer to shoot with as many attacks as on profile]
Talisman of Endurance [5+ ward]
Arcane Bodkins [Magic Arrows. No armour save]

Ok so after much play testing I feel that Ld10 is a must. However a combat lord is probably not a good idea for Wood Elves. I think he would do well sticking within 3" of a unit for Look Out Sir, or being placed within the 18 strong Glade Guard Unit. However this would mean putting that unit in the centre of my battle line.
Bow of Loren + Arcane Bodkins is a nice combo for taking out the odd Knight or the like. 5+ ward as he is a likely target.

Spellweaver
Wand of Wych Elm, [Re-roll Dispel Attempts] Epic win item.
Stone of Rebirth, [reduced to 1 wound, 2+ ward save activates for remainder of game.]
Level 4 Lore of Life

I'm pretty happy with this guy. He is my combat medic. Throne of Vines plus Regrowth. I run him on his own behind the Treekin so he not visable and can heal them with the Lore attribute when needed. If he gets Dwellers, great, but I'd rather have the defensive spells.

Wood Elf Noble (Battle Standard Bearer)
(Light Armour)
Sword of Might [+1 Strength]
Stone of the Crystal Mere [+3 Ward. If save fails, ward is lost for remainder of the game]

Joins the Eternal Guard to make them Stubborn, and to provide them a bit of killing power in the form of the Sword of Might. The Stone is a bit dodgy but could save him in challenges or sniping.

18 Glade Guard
(Musician; Standard Bearer)
Banner of Eternal Flame [Flaming attacks of DOOM!]

Main task is to threaten Regenerating targets and soften large units.

10 Glade Guard
(Musician + Standard Bearer)

These guys can sit in my 'free wood' provided its not too mysterious or painful to do so. Task is to attack Fast Cav/Scouts or Warmachines.

20 Dryads

Risky combat unit, gains most CR from kills alone. Stubborn when in a wood is the ideal situation. Got to remember not to bite off more than they can chew, e.g heavily armoured units.

15 Eternal Guard
(Musician;Standard Bearer)

BSB bunker and additional ranks. Secondary suport unit.

10 Wardancers
(Musician)

Flankers, or forest dwelling stubborn unit. Depending on target they are pretty versatile with their dances.

6 Tree Kin

Main combat unit. Can give and take the pain. Unless enemy unit holds the flaming banner, in which case oh shi...

Treeman

Useful to attempt a sneaky Tree Singing and damage a unit in any wood on the board or to shift Trees about for lolz. To be kept near BSB as Stubborn on an Ld8 is not so good. Support Eternal Guard and provide some Thunderstomping fun.

Total Roster Cost: 2397

Composition Report:
Points of Lords: 573 (0 - 600)
Points of Heroes: 142 (0 - 600)
Points of Core: 820 (600 - Unlimited)
Points of Special: 577 (0 - 1200)
Points of Rare: 285 (0 - 600)

goodz
02-10-2011, 17:49
I would ditch the eternal gaurd and take up another unit of glade guard. That 15 man bunker is going to last no longer then a unit of 15 glade guard in close combat

badgeraddict
02-10-2011, 18:09
Trouble is I have no more Glade Guard models.

At least with 15 Eternal Guard, the BSB will make them stubborn, which is a bonus.

I do not intend this unit to be a front line combat unit, possibly as a flanker or used in combination with the Treeman.

Mirbeau
02-10-2011, 18:21
I like the list, quite well rounded. I must ask why you are using one larger block of dryads (as opposed to multiple smaller units) though, as I can see little advantage in doing so?

badgeraddict
02-10-2011, 20:19
I like the list, quite well rounded. I must ask why you are using one larger block of dryads (as opposed to multiple smaller units) though, as I can see little advantage in doing so?

Good question!

I have found that when I ran 2 units of 10 they did not fair well against many opponents. Sure if fast cavalry charged them, then the Dryads should win, but against anything stronger they struggle. With 20 I can stick around for protracted combats and still dish out the damage. If they are attacked whilst in a wood then they become stubborn should they lose.

giant boob nipple gun
02-10-2011, 23:48
I prefer to run 2 units of 15 in my lists, with a beastweaver to bump up combat stats. Combine this with an ancient, 6 kin, 4 units of 10 archers, and 10 wardancers gives you points left over for afew eagles, bsb etc. Basis for my lists, and it never let me down yet.
Andy

popisdead
03-10-2011, 18:47
Eternal Guard can be made to work well but it requires a few things, namely the Rhymer's Harp (generally on the mage) and then at least a unit of 20 for CR and fewer return attacks.).

Then either Lore of Life for T7 elves or Beasts so you can get Wissan's (take the razorstandard) at which point you are hitting on 3s wounding on 3s with no save (assuming WS 3/4, T3, 5+ save enemy) with a lot of attacks.

If you don't want to run EG, can you pad out the GG units with 5 EG as the bank rank as filler?

I've started my WE up again and I'm planning on running Eternal Guard for a while. I've read a few really well crafted lists/tactics on asrai.org about them (such as http://asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=21254). May help with gearing up your characters.

I've also found 10 Dryads to be an odd number. Either do 12/14 for more attacks or 8 and run them just as support.

badgeraddict
03-10-2011, 22:24
I've changed the list quite a bit so will lock this post and start another tomorrow.