PDA

View Full Version : VC without GG?

stiggie
03-10-2011, 09:56
Hey guys!,, listen, (well read :P )

been having fun using my vampires lately.. and as per probably 90%+ of all VC counts i've had the regen death star unit..

after irritating people with it people have "altered" their lists etc.. which makes the unit not worth its points at all. sooo im'ma try make a new list :)..

problem is, im not sure what approach to take?

tempted with a magic heavy list.

I have..

vlad/konrad/isabella & mannfred (mounted)
Wight king (on foot and mounted)
normal vampire (on foot)
2x Necromancers
30x Graveguard
50x Skeletons
30x Ghoulkins
20x Zombies
2x Corpse carts
1x varghulf
10x Dire Wolves
2x Terrorgheist
5x Black knights
5x Blood Knights.
3x Spirit Hosts.

any suggestions?

usually play against dwarfes/ogres/high elves/demons/WoC

Aluinn
03-10-2011, 10:18
Hey guys!,, listen, (well read :P )

been having fun using my vampires lately.. and as per probably 90%+ of all VC counts i've had the regen death star unit..

after irritating people with it people have "altered" their lists etc.. which makes the unit not worth its points at all. sooo im'ma try make a new list :)..

problem is, im not sure what approach to take?

tempted with a magic heavy list.

I have..

vlad/konrad/isabella & mannfred (mounted)
Wight king (on foot and mounted)
normal vampire (on foot)
2x Necromancers
30x Graveguard
50x Skeletons
30x Ghoulkins
20x Zombies
2x Corpse carts
1x varghulf
10x Dire Wolves
2x Terrorgheist
5x Black knights
5x Blood Knights.
3x Spirit Hosts.

any suggestions?

usually play against dwarfes/ogres/high elves/demons/WoC

Grave Guard are still entirely worth their points for what they do if you skip the Drakenhof Banner; it's extremely expensive after all, and if people are bringing sufficient Flaming attacks to negate it every turn (which I assume is what you mean by "altered their lists"), just don't take the super expensive banner.

Their performance in combat is quite good by any objective standard simply with great weapons. Everything else is optional, and if you skip all the frills, you'll find that (shockingly! :)) the unit is a lot cheaper.

I don't think I'd personally ever opt not to take the Banner of the Barrows unless I had fewer than ~20 in the unit, but you certainly can do so if you find that you need the points to beef up the rest of the army and thus not rely on GG so much.

If you're wondering if a list without GG can work, I believe that it can, but it's not clear why you feel that you should no longer take them. It seems that maybe you simply need to be using them differently. I'd say that about 95% my opponents have something that can negate Regen in at least one, and often two phases, and I still find the unit to be obscenely powerful, but going into specific approaches for dealing with counters (counter-counters if you will :)) would take a little more time and seems beyond the scope of this thread.

Lebowski
05-10-2011, 01:17
New to this forum, but have been playin vc for 2 years now!

options I personally use after getting bored of GG

1. bloodknight pain train. add vamp/lord with blood drinker and BSB wight with Strigos/Banner of Blood keep. This option of course is somewhat situational, but it really can burn a hole in just about any list... just pick your fights.

2.I also have 2 TGs. Lord with death magic with these two guys.... only problem is the vamp 6' rule :(

3. Yes the magic heavy list... honestly, this is what my buds hate the most. A Lord with death/shadow/light with helm of command can really cause a lot of problems for most armies.

really, you don't need GG to win... it just makes it A LOT easier. Hope you try the paintrain! ;)

stiggie
06-10-2011, 11:52
VC: 2k list

lord: MotBa, Forbidden lore, Black periapt, flayed hayberk, dawn stone

vampire: MotBA, Septre of stability, Helm of commandment

Vampire: Forbidden lore, Dispel Scroll, glittering scales

30x Ghouls

30x Skeletons: Command

Corpse Cart: Unholy lodestone

terrorgheist
terrorgheist.

thats what ive worked out so far.. idk what to put in for the rest.. tempted for a loremaster of death and one of shadows/fire/death.

suggestions?