PDA

View Full Version : Maneaters and step-up attacks.

Andy p
03-10-2011, 19:09
So I was wondering, if you had say...a big awesome yet scary horde unit of 18 maneaters, what would happen in regards to step up attacks, if you equipped the front rank with additional hand weapons but left the rest without to save points since they only get 3 support attacks anyhow?

See with most other units they all have the same equipment, so if the backs ranks start moving forward to replace those at the front, (represented in game by a unit always getting the front two ranks of attacks in combat), it doesnt affect what attacks or weapon buffs they might get.

But all maneaters in a unit can be equipped individually, so this raises the question of whether it would affect the attacks of the ogres if the front rank got decimated, although it would need to be something pretty hitty.

Common sense, which isn't very common in reality, probably dictates that perhaps you would ignore this, but I did wonder what others thought.

ps: I play ogres so im not trying to lose my precious attacks, just curious on the thoughts of others.

Dark Reaper
03-10-2011, 19:45
It says quite clearly that you remove models from the back which would mean the front rank remains unchanged, so your tactic would work.

Scalebug
03-10-2011, 20:01
Think of it as the Ogre behind picking up his fallen comrade's additional handweapon as he steps forward, if it helps with suspension of disbelief...

Andy p
03-10-2011, 21:38
Yeah that's pretty much what I assumed. Makes sense from a logical point of view :D.

Thanks for the responses.

stashman
03-10-2011, 22:14
Thats probably why Maneaters can't take Ironfists. That would be a problem with armoursave and wardsaves.

10_minute_pie
03-10-2011, 22:51
Maneaters remind me of the opening scene in Enemy at the gates: "The one with the rifle shoots! The one without follows him! When the one with the rifle gets killed, the one who is following picks up the rifle AND SHOOTS!

mildaevilda
03-10-2011, 23:20
I think you are wrong. When models in unit have different characteristic, player can choose which models he wants to attack. There is only one option in the case of frontal charge will be attacked maneaters with additional weapon. In the case of side charge you can allocate your attack between maneaters with and without additional weapons according to wich models are in base contact.

narrativium
03-10-2011, 23:46
From the front, the idea holds: models in the front rank would be armed one way, models behind the front rank would be armed another way. An enemy in contact to the front would always attack front-rankers.

From the side, it gets interesting. I can kind of imagine a scenario where a Maneater unit might combat-reform to face one direction while keeping models armed a particular way on the flank.

Imagine a 3x3 formation of Maneaters where the left flank is charged, and the left file is armed with great weapons but the centre and right files are armed with pistols. How much say does the Ogre player have in removing rear-rank casualties? Do you remove the great weapon model first and keep sliding pistoliers left, or can you take away the two pistols before the great weapon, or do you have to remove a pistol and the great weapon in either order before removing the central pistolier, who then has to slide to the flank?

theunwantedbeing
04-10-2011, 13:32
It explains how to deal with removing casualties for maneaters in the ogre book.
So you follow that, and when it is a models turn to attack, they attack.

edit: not relevant in any way of course but the cathayan longsword is gone :eek::cries::confused:

Joff1981
04-10-2011, 13:37
The maneater page in the armybook states that you remove models from the rear rank in the normal manner regardless of what they are armed with. If there is no rear rank then from either end of a single line.

Mercules
04-10-2011, 14:15
I think you are wrong. When models in unit have different characteristic, player can choose which models he wants to attack. There is only one option in the case of frontal charge will be attacked maneaters with additional weapon. In the case of side charge you can allocate your attack between maneaters with and without additional weapons according to wich models are in base contact.

Which won't, in any way change the rules of how they are removed which is clearly laid out in the OK army book.

Andy p
04-10-2011, 16:06
The maneater page in the armybook states that you remove models from the rear rank in the normal manner regardless of what they are armed with. If there is no rear rank then from either end of a single line.

It explains how to deal with removing casualties for maneaters in the ogre book.
So you follow that, and when it is a models turn to attack, they attack.

edit: not relevant in any way of course but the cathayan longsword is gone :eek::cries::confused:

Unfortunately I forgot about this due to not having my book to hand, someone is borrowing it at the moment which might turn out to be a mistake.

Cheers for the information.