PDA

View Full Version : Daemon Prince still good?

Hashulaman
03-10-2011, 22:25
With the new Codexs' powerful HQ choices does a CSM Daemon Prince still rank pretty high among generic HQ choices and possibly amont special characters these days? A year or two ago it was one of the best HQ choices there was. Is that still true today?

Asher
03-10-2011, 22:27
He is still good but the rampant Misslespam we are seeing at the moment makes it more difficult to use him.

Draconis
03-10-2011, 23:42
Not if you hide him behind armor and give him wings : )

TheCaptain
04-10-2011, 05:50
Ive seen mark of nurgle and warptime been used very well, but considering the other HQ choices in the dex the DP is still very much worth it

spurker
04-10-2011, 05:52
even straight up, its a better choice than a chaos lord!

Chainaxe07
04-10-2011, 11:30
I suppose that, gamewise, it's still the best choiche CSM get for that amount of points.
A shame, if you ask me, as the models (imho) are really crappy and very non god specific (except for the metal nurgle one). They have horns (!!!!????!!!), hooves and a tail (yes, a tail!!!). C'mon, these were astartes, man. Just give us huge astartes with appropriately big and scary swords/chainaxes/whatever, leave that crappy horn and tail nonsense home, please oh please!
Rant aside, i dont think DP were ever considered to be amongst the best HQ models in the game, they just ranked higher than sorcerors and much, much higher than lords.

Rosstifer
04-10-2011, 11:34
I suppose that, gamewise, it's still the best choiche CSM get for that amount of points.
A shame, if you ask me, as the models (imho) are really crappy and very non god specific (except for the metal nurgle one). They have horns (!!!!????!!!), hooves and a tail (yes, a tail!!!). C'mon, these were astartes, man. Just give us huge astartes with appropriately big and scary swords/chainaxes/whatever, leave that crappy horn and tail nonsense home, please oh please!
Rant aside, i dont think DP were ever considered to be amongst the best HQ models in the game, they just ranked higher than sorcerors and much, much higher than lords.

Some of us like our Daemons with Horns and Tails :p I love the traditional Demon imagery, hooves, wings etc. It does fine for me.

Lord-Caerolion
04-10-2011, 11:42

You do realise they're supposed to be daemons, right? Changed by the favour of the Chaos Gods? Somehow, "he got bigger, and that's it" doesn't exactly scream "the Gods have repeatedly shown their favour to him, and he is no longer merely Astartes".

Chainaxe07
04-10-2011, 20:42
You do realise they're supposed to be daemons, right? Changed by the favour of the Chaos Gods? Somehow, "he got bigger, and that's it" doesn't exactly scream "the Gods have repeatedly shown their favour to him, and he is no longer merely Astartes".

I know the chaos gods have e funny sense of humour, but i can hardly call making one faithful servant butt ugly a way to show him "favour", and i am not talking only Slaanesh here.
I might do that if he deeply displeased me, maybe. Indeed, in a funny way, demons and spawns look suspiciously alike (id est: non humanoid).
But, of course, its just a matter of taste, i understand that. I just wish they made the run of the mill chaos lord a better choiche, either more powerful of less expensive, maybe both. As is, unfortunately, demons are the best choiche in the codex point for point.

Latro_
04-10-2011, 21:16
I the context of the chaos codex hes amazing

In the context of the game hes still decently priced for a mons creature but like any mons creature with a 3+ and a dodgy invul hes a fairly easy target. Thjis is why you should always take two of them :)

Maybe the mark of tzeentch is a better buy these days with all that missile spam.

Bonzai
04-10-2011, 21:35
I the context of the chaos codex hes amazing

In the context of the game hes still decently priced for a mons creature but like any mons creature with a 3+ and a dodgy invul hes a fairly easy target. Thjis is why you should always take two of them :)

Maybe the mark of tzeentch is a better buy these days with all that missile spam.

Agreed.

I ran one in an an escalation league recently for my Word Bearers. From 500 to 2500 points. I ran mine with Warp Time and Wings. Most of the time he caused a lot of mayhem, and then died a grizzly death. In fact, out of all the games I played, he lived through only one. There were times where he didn't do much, but mostly because I was making a calculated gamble to set up for something big, and it didn't pay off.

My Brother always used to run two, but has been much happier running Abbadon in a LR with some termies.

Hashulaman
05-10-2011, 06:48
I too am playing an escalation campaign, but I chose to run a Nurgle theme, preferably Death guard. In spall points games under a thousand I think a Nurgle Daemon Prince with Warptime and Wings should do really well as there are view heavy/special weapons to worry about, plus less models to fight, unless you are IG, Nids or Orks.

Reaver83
05-10-2011, 08:46
I still like running a pair in my csm list and in demon list. For csm lash is still scary, even if the mech heavy guys have less to fear. But a tz warptime/bolt or breath is fantastic.

For demons I used to love the old tz with bolt to pop transports, but recently a iron skin/blessing khorne one has been amusing bs gk's