PDA

View Full Version : Imperial guard troop special weapons?

Chaos Warlord
04-10-2011, 11:44
First off i'd like to say that i am going to use veteran squads as troops & with carapace armour for more survivability.

i will have several weapon teams consisting of autocannons beside this.

but what about the special weapons for the squads? should i go for grenade launchers? s6 krak grenades is rather nice, a bit lower ap value than plasma and just one strenght less - but dont get overheated, seems fair.

if i use plasma on my carapace squads its 50% chance that they fail the armour save but still makes up for the damage it causes.

could use some constructive tips and prefrences

ehlijen
04-10-2011, 12:26
It depends on what you want to do with the squad:

Do you want to charge and assault? Flamers, as you'll be running/speeding until you get within range to charge anyway.
Take out tanks? Meltaguns, for obvious reasons. Many would say if in doubt always take meltas as they're just plain good, but I find that boring.
Take out MCs and terminators? Plasma. You probably don't want to charge those things anyway (so rapid fire is acceptable) and you need the extra shots over meltas to eat through these target's wounds.
Want to sit still with a heavy weapon? Sniper rifle, just cause it's the longest reaching special and ok for its points.
Want to fire on the move and have some versatility? Grenade launcher. Their stats are modest, but they have blasts and the ability to ID t3 creatures or penetrate light vehicles.

For plasma, take carapace as it helps against gets hot.
For snipers take camo cloaks, as you'll sit in cover a lot, most likely.
For flamers or meltas, consider the demolitions doctrine, makes them really nasty against vehicles in CC.

tu33y
05-10-2011, 10:34
plasma misfires are a bit less of a problem nowadays with the "bring it down" order... dont be afraid to use them, cos even if you loose a trooper, the amount of pain they pring on MC's and marines is awesome-o.

all the cool kids rock meltas... and no wonder. flamers are AMAZING against Orks and Nids. genades are cheap but not really worth it unless you have JUSt enough points for a vet squad +15PTS.

Carapace armour is cool, but a lot of points for not much gain. most weapons are AP4 nowadays. but if you dig the look, yeah go for it.

plasmas are by far the best thing for taking out MC's, so dont be afraid of them. meltas are the best all round, and cheap for what they do.

Axeman1n
05-10-2011, 12:29
My vet's Rock Plasmas, my normal troops carry Flamers.

igwarlord
05-10-2011, 12:57
i got 2 plasma 1 flamer per vet squad in my all comers list works really well

Perfect Organism
05-10-2011, 15:30
In my opinion, anything except melta is a point sink. Everything else is better handled by tank weapons or more lasguns.

I usually go with 0-1 lascannon and 1-2 melta guns for veterans, no upgrades at all for normal infantry, who are usually better off doing massed las-fire with FRFSRF or just acting as chimera fillers.

Chem-Dog
05-10-2011, 16:18
First off i'd like to say that i am going to use veteran squads as troops & with carapace armour for more survivability.

i will have several weapon teams consisting of autocannons beside this.

It's worth pointing out that you can include Heavy weapons squads only as part of an infantry platoon (ie, Non Carapace, non veteran squads).

One small platoon is all you need to unlock it, but it's still worth mentioning.

In my opinion, anything except melta is a point sink. Everything else is better handled by tank weapons or more lasguns.

I'm inclined to agree here. For the reduced range of a melta, it's one pretty much guaranteed kill.

Plasma Guns: Too expensive, potentially fatal to the user, if it wasn't both I might be more inclined to use them.

Meltaguns: Short range. Potent.

Grenade Launchers: I use these a lot (because they're cheap) and they're not great. Frag's weak and seldom scores many kills, I'll use it once in a blue moon, when the result really doesn't matter too much. Krak's not great either as it struggles to hurt vehicles (Krak's stated use) and is only AP4. At S6 though, it can ID a T3 IC, so great Vs DEldar (when the AP4 is actually of some use too).

Flamers and Heavy Flamers: One of those weapons which is three times as dangerous when used against Guardsmen as it is when used by them. Has it's uses which are universally dependant on the target's T and Sv for effectiveness. Potential for pulling a rabbit out of the hat with multi-flamers if used in conjunction with bring it down (Twin linked templates re-roll failed to wound rolls) but does require you to be very close to the target which usually means dead guardsmen if it doesn't work.
With veterans, when considering flamers, I'd always pick a Heavy Flamer first.

Sniper Rifles: That extra range is nice and 4+ to wound ANYTHING can be great if you're far away enough from something big n nasty to make it count. Unfortunately nobody slogs MC's across the table for 4 turns anymore (except maybe Eldar with Wraithlords and Avatars). Cheap though, not a bad choice if you want your vets to stay still to use their HW team. In which case Camo-Cloaks might be a better investment than Carapace.

Demolitions Doctrine: I like and use this one a lot. It's fairly expensive, nudging Veteran squad up to 100 points before giving them anything else BUT the demo charge, when it lands right, can be immensely satisfying and there are few units in the game that won't be menaced by such a weapon. It's one shot but it's range (or lack thereof) means this isn't a problem, wait for them to get close (or make an affort to get close to them) and BOOM! I classify it as a movement friendly heavy weapon.
Added bonus of taking this option is Melta Bombs, and counter-charging a dreadnought is just too fun an opportunity to pass up. :D