PDA

View Full Version : Slaanesh Traitor Guard

Boneville
05-10-2011, 14:48
Hi everyone.

i'm going to start a traitor guard army. i was thinking about dedicating them to slaanesh but i really have no idea how such a force would fight or what their preferred tactics would be. what units should i have?

i was thinking about using the imperial guard codex but i heard there are renegade lists in forgeworld books, but i dont know if they would fit in it.

could anyone help me?

djhowitzer
05-10-2011, 14:59
the renegade lists in the forgeworld books to date have covered nurgle and khorne. mostly nurgle.

however, i would say go with slaneesh if that is what appeals to you. i doubt they will be covered in forgeworld for at least another year and that is a long time to wait when you have the jones for a new army

in general slaneesh have a higher initiative than most others, so some focus on close combat would be a good idea

titilititi
05-10-2011, 15:08
If dedicated to Slaanesh, it should get fast and have the elegance of a pimp...
So I think you should replace Commissars by some histerical princess. And I see well a mounted unit on beautiful white horses.
As Slaanesh corrupts mostly politics and people that like to heard themeselves speaking, you should take a Fleet Officer and a Priest...
I also think that the concept of Sisters Repentia and Penitent Engine can easily get perverted by the Lord of Suffering...

Mannimarco
05-10-2011, 15:10
I suppose it depends on the army itself: Not all guardsmen who worship Slaanesh will be running around with extra attacks and high initiative just like the Vraksian Servants of Slaughter dont have extra strength or furious charge and the Servants of Decay dont have more toughness and FNP. They're just regular basic guardsmen.

"Traitor Guard" is just such a wide term as well, are your forces a highly trained, well disciplined fighting force such as the Blood Pact or are they a rabble of poorly equipped fanatics whose only purpose is to waste the enemies ammunition killing them so your real troops (the Slaaneshi marines themselves) can move in for the kill.

Fluff wise you could look at the Vraks 1 list, count Arkos as your Slaaneshi champion (hes actually Alpha Legion but he might fit) and the marines as Slaanesh marked then load up on traitor guard.

Your background story would be sort of like Dechalas warband with her troops and all the slaves following them around.

Boneville
05-10-2011, 16:23
Thanks for all the great answers, i dont really care for competivness as im more of a fluff player. the army would be mainly guardsmen who turned as i want to steer clear of space marines.

i would want to make them a little bit organised as per blood pact. but i was thinking about how the pleasure thing relates to the army. could you say they see pleasure like the dark eldar do, from pain and stuff?

Eighties-Matt
05-10-2011, 16:29
Erm....possibly. Dark Eldar and Slaanesh Marines have the whole "pleasure from pain" thing going on, but the Marines are superhuman and wont die from it, and the DE have had thousands of years worth of practice, so they know how to keep their intended victim (or themselves) alive just enough so they wont pass away from their mutilation.

Guard are humans. Tough humans, and they have enough common sense to not carve through their arteries just to get a fix, but they could burn out fast. I would still think mental manipulation through music, fighting, sex and drugs would be better suited to their T3 lifestyle.

AlphariusOmegon20
05-10-2011, 16:34
Painting wise, you'd want almost pristine vehicles. Slaaneshi Guard seems to me that they'd almost lovingly maintain the look of their vehicles as factory fresh.

Don't feel like you have to pick Pink as a color. Most people seem to forget that Purples, Blues, Golds, and Silvers all have been seen as examples of Slaaneshi colors in WFB, so you can use those colors too. Even Oranges, and Greens have been used in the past ed. for Slaanesh ( mostly second ed. Noise Marines.)

Tay051173096
05-10-2011, 16:53
Loud hailers on your chimeras, try to get a hold of the chaos speaker.

Colour wise each squad will have seperate and bright colours, they try to out do the other squads.

I could see them using the medusa due to the loudness and the over kill if the targets close at hand.

Good luck

Boneville
05-10-2011, 16:54
What weapons would they use? im thinking that they use decorated blades. lasguns of course. but what else?

Tay051173096
05-10-2011, 17:03
Flamers would be popular, while there would also be guard who take pride in their shooting, so snipers and HB, AC and LC will be used.

Not mortars though as you can't get a thrill of watching people die when you use the.

Speacial weapons teams will be common as they are full of show off's that brag about their skills and what they have shot up or blown up.

Penal legion could be used as drugged up looney's, but thats up to you if you want them, some people do not like the random nature of them.

Gorbad Ironclaw
05-10-2011, 17:07
Honestly, for 90% of the army it won't make any different aside from maybe a few aesthetic choices. There are no even remotely set "rules" for how any chaos worshipper must conduct themselves or look or fight or be armed. There are some vague archetypes, but the only strong one is Khorne and even dedicated Khornated warriors could just as easily use ranged weaponry if it causes sufficient death and destruction.

Also, it's not like joining a chaos cult instantly changes/mutate you into something else. There might be a few rewards for the top leaders but the rank and file is going to be just as they were before. Except perhaps for being a little crazier and having a shiny new tattoo. And that's not even getting into the details of what your particular cult actually do. It could be a Slaanesh cult dedicated to gathering their worlds top instrument and make the most awesome classical orchestra ever and they have formed an armed insurrection because those instruments are being kept out of the hands of the people.

It's perhaps not as fun as painting everything hot pink and lavender blue but for most cult troops there will likely be very little to physically distinguish themselves from other military units from that particular planet. It will have a much bigger impact on there look, equipment and tactics if they are a underground urban cult, guerilla jungle fighters, paramilitary forces or even outright army units.

That should be the place to start really. Then you can add any special details you want from your cult.

Chaos Warlord
05-10-2011, 17:16
i happened to notice that someone mentioned a khorne traitor list...
Wich forgeworld book contains the khorne traitor guard rules and armylist etc?

if i'm not mistaken there's always a big chance that an opponent can refuse to play against you if you choose a FW armylist right?

ive heard many declines to play against FW armylists at my local gaming club
from people that say they are too unbalanced and that they arent official etc:rolleyes:

Chem-Dog
05-10-2011, 17:28
I suppose it depends on the army itself: Not all guardsmen who worship Slaanesh will be running around with extra attacks and high initiative just like the Vraksian Servants of Slaughter dont have extra strength or furious charge and the Servants of Decay dont have more toughness and FNP. They're just regular basic guardsmen.

"Traitor Guard" is just such a wide term as well, are your forces a highly trained, well disciplined fighting force such as the Blood Pact or are they a rabble of poorly equipped fanatics whose only purpose is to waste the enemies ammunition killing them so your real troops (the Slaaneshi marines themselves) can move in for the kill.

Manni has summed it up perfectly. Just because a Mortal is devoted himself to a specific Chaos god doesn't mean he'll exhibit any of the buffs we associate with CSM's who are similarly devoted. Mortals have to do a lot to be as impressive as an Astartes and it's only when you're as impressive as an Astartes that you gain particular favour from the gods.

What this means on the tabletop is your RIG regiment can fit any charicteristic you think's cool.
If you want them to be a bunch of muscle bound prettyboys covered in tattoos and piercings wearing bright clothes, fine.
If you want them to be a diciplined and ordered legion dedicated to martial perfection also fine.
If you want them to be a cavalcade of degenerates who spend as much time out of their gourds on mind altering substances and involved in acts of "Vile debasement". Go right ahead.

For me, the thing that makes my renegade list fun is coming up with ways to make them as un-IG in shape as possible. Pick a theme and run with it, make them an extreme variation.

I've done this with my Slaaneshi Guard.
Firstly I've limited my FoC choices. This isn't set in stone, but it at least gives me a focus for building the army initially.
HQ: 1+ Primaris Psyker.
Elite: Battle Psykers.
Troops: Infantry Platoons.
FA: Scout Sentinels.
HS: Nothing. That's right, for now, no HS.

Beyond these limitations there's a bunch of limitations to units, Infantry platoons are all blobbed up into 31 man squads (three infantry squads + lone commissar) that I call Schiltrons, they have no heavy weapons and are limited to Flamers and Grenade Launchers as special weapons. Only a single model in the army carries a plasma weapon (Meharla, my Al Rahem counts-as platoon commander). The Platoon command squads represent fairly high ranking officers (under the command of my Primaris Psyker(s)) and aren't necessarily attached to the Platoon squads in any meaningful way but are usually near one or two of them.

The sentinels are all scout and armed exclusively with Multilasers (and HK's). They are an allied contingent who are either Daemonically infested or Hardwired into their vehicles (I haven't decided which yet). They rove around like packs of hunting animals attacking from unexpected quarters (Outflanking) and generally make a nuisance of themselves. Eventually I'll get to the point that I can field the "Emperor's Talon" Apocalypse Formation with my Sentinels. Maybe two of them.

Finally I've gone out of my way to change my models so that, while they're obviously a unified organisation with several visual cues to tie them together, they're all different.
Weapon swaps with as many different types of Lasgun as I could get my hands on and lots of converted weapons (including a crossbow, autoguns and various generic rifles). Fluff-wise, with less than fantastic resources, the army loots anthing it finds, very few models don't have backpacks and are carrying a whole array of backup weapons, pouches, grenades and other bits of kit.

t-tauri
05-10-2011, 17:58
Several posts removed. Please do not avoid the swear filter or post images or links unsuitable for Warseer.

FashaTheDog
05-10-2011, 17:59
If you want a project, why not take the Renegades and Heretics list and by using comparisons from IA6's Servants of Slaughter and IA7's Servants of Decay lists extrapolate what a Servants of Excess list would look like.

I figure it would be the Renegades and Heretics list (available from the FW site) with the following changes:

HQ
Add 0-1 Noise Marine Exalted Champion - 60 points
WS5 BS5 S4 T4 W2 I6 A2 Ld10 Sv 3+

Bolt Pistol, Close Combat Weapon, Power Armor, Frag and Krak Grenades
May replace Bolt Pistol for Plasma Pistol for+15 points.
May take one of following: twin-linked bolter for +5, combi-weapon for +10
May replace Close Combat Weapon with one of following: power weapon for +5, power fist for +20, single lightning claw for +25
May replace all weapons for pair of lightning claws for +30
May take any of the following: melta bombs for +5, personal icon for +5, Doom Siren for +15

Elites
Instead of Alpha Legion Marines, may take Noise Marines per Chaos Marine Codex.

Ogryn Berserkers are +1 I

Troops
Add Cult of Pleasure 10-30 models - 6 pts/model
WS3 BS2 S3 T3 W1 I4 A1 Ld10 Sv 6+
Armed with Close Combat Weapon, Laspistol
Fearless
One model per 10 may replace Close Combat Weapon with power weapon for +10 points.

Boneville
05-10-2011, 18:35
What do you think about purple armour with silver trimming and white cloth as colour scheme. im going to use the cadian hostile enviroment kit from forgeworld to get the awesome respirator wich are going to administer drug to my soldiers. what do you think?

Dorn's Arrow
05-10-2011, 18:56
Straken might be a good choice for a Slaaneshi Noise Marine leading the cult - his presence could be inspring enough to explain the CA/FC bubble and he's hard enough to be a Marine. Around him you have a ton of traitor Guard with the standard loadouts, maybe supported by Vendettas or Hellhound-chassis vehicles racing around the place.

IcedAnimals
05-10-2011, 19:13
You should take some rough riders, you could even model the rough riders as seekers of slaanesh instead of using horses.

Boneville
05-10-2011, 19:31
i will have rough riders one way or another. i just love the unit. though not completely sure how to do them.

wartorngetahroun74
05-10-2011, 20:43
If you can find them, Blood Bowl cheerleaders as Priests?

agurus1
05-10-2011, 20:48
I think that Slaaneshi guard would focus alot on cc, so yeah go with straken as a noise marine or maybe a possessed officer?

I think there are probably a load of great conversion oppurtunities, like someone said seekers of slannesh for rough riders, maybe giant screamers for counts as vendettas or valkyries?

remember your army should be highly mobile though.

AlphariusOmegon20
06-10-2011, 01:05
What do you think about purple armour with silver trimming and white cloth as colour scheme. im going to use the cadian hostile enviroment kit from forgeworld to get the awesome respirator wich are going to administer drug to my soldiers. what do you think?

Sounds simplistic and to the point. I like it.

ShodansOwn
06-10-2011, 05:25
I have been working on a Slaanesh Traitor Guard for the past many months. The main colour theme is Codex Grey fabric with black armor and Warlock Purple single shoulder (both shoulders to denote Veteran or Sergeant). Silver trim, black eyesockets, and a generally submissive vibe from most of the troops.

Colour and vibrancy is in the form of all my officers, who are Daemonettes. Ice Blue skin, Warlock Purple extremities and hair. Black and Silver "clothing". The blue really "pops" when mixed in with the gloomy masses.

I have a nicely converted Slaanesh daemon (Daemonette blended with the new Tzeentch Sorcerer Lord) to run as Marbo and Seekers as Roughriders. And of course Commissars.

When you get down to it, IG isnt the best Codex for this. Personally, I preferred doing this army with Daemonhunters as addons, because I could create a faster (Higher initiative, plus things like mancatchers) HQ to properly act Slaaneshi. Add the option for things like Daemonhosts and Arco-Flagellants and you get some cool conversion possibilities.

I've considered running these guys as GK henchmen, with a few other SM units tossed in as Chaos/Noise marines, but doing that loses a lot of the fun options I currently use (like Marbo, the seekers, etc). Of course, you'd get Death Cult, and other assassins, but it quickly gets cheesy from that point.

Boneville
06-10-2011, 09:38
i found a female commissar that i will use as the commander or manipulator of the force. the idea of gk henchmen is actually a pretty good one. but the amount of bling these "noise marines" would get doesnt really speak well to me. but if you focus on henchmen only i think it could work.