PDA

View Full Version : Considering 40k

mordheimer
05-10-2011, 16:32
Going to be moving to a bigger city in a couple of months with a higher 40k population than where I'm currently living. So I was just wondering what armies are overpowered, which are underpowered etc? I really like IG and as long as they're not the complete worst I'll probably play them.

Helicon_One
05-10-2011, 17:15
IG are pretty strong, but with a new edition supposedly due next year there's no point making decisions based on the current state of play when everything could be turned upside-down by the time your army is table-ready. Pick an army you like the look of and who's background and broad playstyle appeal to you - you're the one who's got to sit and spend hours assembling/painting all those models and its no point going for something for metagame advantage if you'll get bored of them halfway through highlighting your second squad.

Minsc
05-10-2011, 17:25
IG (tank+vendetta spamm at least) is imo the best army out there.

40k is overall pretty balanced right now (assuming you stay away from necrons, but they'll get a new codex in November), but with 6th Ed. coming next year, it's hard to foresee the future.

Ivan Zhuk
05-10-2011, 17:35
If you like IG then go with them. At this moment they are very competitive if built right and even just random lists together arent half bad either. Also like space marines IG are more of a staple of 40k, so should stay pretty competitive over time. By this I mean they always get a codex with each edition and are always on the positive side of the tiers list (atleast since ive started back in 3rd edition)

Some units are pretty ok to bad but since the troops choices of IG are decently strong for the points they can make up for any drawbacks vs units you like, e.g., if you like stormtroopers (weaker unit at this moment) its not terrible to take a squad in a 1000+ army because most of your other units are tough.

mordheimer
05-10-2011, 17:37
Cool, well like I said as long as they weren't the worst I was planning on playing them just because I like the look of them.

So what is "vendetta?" Is that a troop type I'm not seeing?

TheWarmaster
05-10-2011, 18:05
Cool, well like I said as long as they weren't the worst I was planning on playing them just because I like the look of them.

So what is "vendetta?" Is that a troop type I'm not seeing?

Vendetta is a gunship, so It's a skimmer. A very, very big skimmer.

agurus1
06-10-2011, 02:44
if you go with IG you will not go far wrong, pretty much any build you want you can make competitive.

igwarlord
06-10-2011, 02:54
Vendetta is the same as a Valkyrie with different weapons

mordheimer
06-10-2011, 16:18
Ok cool to know my first choice is a good group. What about tyrannids are they any good? Some friends and I bought the tyrannids v space wolves box (I forget the name of it) a few years ago and at the time I think tyrannids were pretty much tops.

Biggut
11-10-2011, 13:25
[QUOTE=Minsc;5824835]IG (tank+vendetta spamm at least) is imo the best army out there.

40k is overall pretty balanced right now (assuming you stay away from necrons, but they'll get a new codex in November),QUOTE]

agreed, necrons havn't had a new codex for a while and they are far too powerful unless you just smash them with strength10 weapons and even then that dosnt always work. 40k keeps changing, there is no point trying to find equal strenght armies as it all depends on whether or not the player using them knows how to use it.

warplock
11-10-2011, 15:47
Ok cool to know my first choice is a good group. What about tyrannids are they any good? Some friends and I bought the tyrannids v space wolves box (I forget the name of it) a few years ago and at the time I think tyrannids were pretty much tops.

Tyranids are considered generally underpowered, at least on Warseer, and most people have several gripes or complaints about how the army works as a whole and several of the units/points costs. Their latest book was written by Cruddace, who missed the mark. Having said that, because of their extremely cool models and uniqueness, I still think they're awesome.