PDA

View Full Version : Best Star Wars Scene?

Koraath
03-06-2005, 00:54
ok we have the best star wars lightsaber duel but what about the best scene. Which scene for you is your favourite.

For me it has to be scene where luke refuses to continue fighting darth vader and makes the choice his father could not

DisruptorX
03-06-2005, 00:57
ITS A TRAP! :eek:

Seriously, though, I don't know. I haven't watched the movies recently, so it hard to choose one in particular.

m1s1n
03-06-2005, 00:58
"I am a Jedi--like my father before me."

"So be it---JEDI!"

From RotJ.

Koraath
03-06-2005, 00:59
no trap just interested to see what people's favourite scene is

I mean mines quite obscure

Bubble Ghost
03-06-2005, 00:59
I quite like the Obi-Wan/Qui-Gon vs. Darth Maul ruck at the end of Phantom Menace. Sue me.

neXus6
03-06-2005, 01:00
The first death star exploding...the non-remastered vertion. Just cause it's a child hood memory.
:D

Sure there are better scenes looking back on it, but hey, thats childhood. :p

Koraath
03-06-2005, 01:00
to be fair i am watching return of the jedi as i speak so........

Kohhna
03-06-2005, 01:01
Darth Vader chocking that dude in the board-room.

*sighs* the number of times I've wanted to do that in real life.

neXus6
03-06-2005, 01:02
I suppose I must also add when Darth Vader first appears on the blockade runner. The walls are white, the floor is white the storm troopers are white and then Vader walks through the breached door. :eek:

Xisor
03-06-2005, 01:09
I'm pretty much with koraath here.

That said, the power of Luke absolutely laying into Darth Vader and giving himself to the Dark Side is powerful, just after "Sister..." :skull:

The only other two which come close are "No, I am your father" and the final award scene in ANH.

Xisor

Ass Goblin
03-06-2005, 01:41
I suppose I must also add when Darth Vader first appears on the blockade runner. The walls are white, the floor is white the storm troopers are white and then Vader walks through the breached door. :eek:

I agree with you there. That scene reeks of coolness.

Shuya
03-06-2005, 02:17
noone flame me for this but because i saw all 5 movies before hand the scene where anikin walks through the temple and theres a birds eye view and the shadows and the huge amount of clones behind him that was completely! awsome and breathtaking its the only part of the movie i enjoyed and the *2 steps* "noooooooo" bit :D

but from the other movies any seen with a jawa or a ewok has my vote :D

neXus6
03-06-2005, 03:45
I really should have just stopped reading at "noone flame me for this" shouldn't I. :p ;)

Jaq Draco
03-06-2005, 03:53
agreed with you there i have neXus6

for me i have to say the Darth Maul fight against obi-wan and qui-gon, i know its a saber battle and not a scene, but i just always remembered it, and liked the pace of it
so sue me

or flame me lol :D

:0)
03-06-2005, 03:56
It has to be the looming approach of the AT-AT's on Hoth, or the entire ground-level Hoth battle.

neXus6
03-06-2005, 04:05
for me i have to say the Darth Maul fight against obi-wan and qui-gon, i know its a saber battle and not a scene, but i just always remembered it,

That's becuase it is the most memorable scene of the first and possibly second movie (and possibly 3rd :p) of the new trilogy.

Grumnir
03-06-2005, 07:17
Yoda vs Dooku fight --> the cool little green guy flipping out and going nuts.

Bit overdone in epIII but has to be an alltime fave character and that opened up another whole aspect to him.

salty
03-06-2005, 07:27
I agree with :0), the battle on Hoth with the AT-ATs and AT-STs and snowspeeders and lightsabers and *drools*

Although Vader choking the rebel captain and leia insulting Tarkin both run a close second.

"I might have knoiwn you'd be holding Vader's leash!"

Salty :)

hairyman
03-06-2005, 08:16
I couldn't possibly pick a favourite.. too many to chose from:

"You would prefer another target; a military target?... I grow tired of asking this so this will be the last time; where is the rebel base?" (ANH)

Vader's appearance at the start of ANH, as described by neXus6. (ANH)

"Sister........" (RotJ)

Obi-Wan bouncing up and down before ripping into Maul (PM).

"This little one's not worth the bother. Come, let me get you something...." (ANH)

Vader vs Luke part 1 (ESB)

Luke's failure in the cave. (ESB)

Vader vs Luke part 2 (RotJ)

Obi Wan vs Vader (ANH)

"I love you..." "I know" (ESB)

Anything involving the Millenium Falcon.

EffCee
03-06-2005, 10:11
Hmm tough one. Either the rebel soldiers running away from the AT-AT's (poor sods) or the Yoda/R2 smackdown in ESB. :D

The boyz
03-06-2005, 11:10
I agree with :0), the battle on Hoth with the AT-ATs and AT-STs and snowspeeders and lightsabers and *drools*Salty :)

Yeah thats my favourite bit to. When you first see those AT-ATs on the horizon just slowly getting closer and closer.

Delicious Soy
03-06-2005, 11:46
Hmmm. The whole space battle in RotJ is probably my favourite battle, but probably my favourite was the ORIGINAL version of Han vs Greedo

"I've been waiting a long time for this Solo."

"Yeah, I bet you have."

Blam!

So much better when he fried him in cold blood.

Shadowheart
03-06-2005, 11:51
Yeah, tough one indeed, it's easier to name particular moments, lines or characters.

First one that comes to mind is Luke's first encounter with Yoda, that's a scene I always look forward to. "Looking! Found you have, yes, mmm!" Luke's trademark whining tops it all off perfectly. After that scene you've got to like and respect the old Jedi master.

The carbon freeze scene is also a fave, really intense stuff. Han's spent the whole movie dodging Imperial battlecruisers and flirting with Leia, and then it's "I love you", "I know", bam he's frozen.

The Death Star trench run from ANH is my favourite battle, it's just X-Wings and Tie-fighters going at it, blowing up left and right. Vader's mercilessly closing in, Wedge legs it at the last moment, Luke uses the Force and Han saves the day, it's got it all.

Anything with Alec Guinness as well. His first meeting with Luke, his exchanges with Han, the bad-ass look he shoots in the Cantina and the confrontation with Vader, anything.
Peter Cushing's always a pleasure to watch when he goes at it, so even though Tarkin's role is rather limited I'd include the scenes with him as well.

I noticed I've only mentioned scenes from ANH and ESB... it's not that I find RotJ to be bad (the worst of the three, but not by that much), but I can't think of one particularly great scene from it. I suppose that just for Leia's outfit one of the Jabba scenes would have to be in there, probably the battle at the Sarlacc pit. "Boba Fett? Boba Fett? Where?"

Sojourner
03-06-2005, 11:55
"How can they be jamming us if they don't know..."

I agree on the Tarkin scene - best bad guy in the film, even surpassing Vader.

"I grow tired of asking so this will be the last time...Where is the rebel base?"

Delicious Soy
03-06-2005, 12:08
Agreed its only after a few viewings that you really come to appreciate Tarkin. He has such a cool dismissive manner, it was extremely well played by Cushing.

Eldacar
03-06-2005, 12:17
Best scene? One of the following (in no specific order)

1) Anakin leading the Clones into the Jedi Temple in RotS.

2) First scene in ANH with Vader. Just walks through the door. All in black, everything else is white... :cool:

3) Tarkin's "Rebel Base" line in ANH

4) Cantina in Mos Eisley in ANH. Obiwan just spinning, lightsaber flashes, arm comes off, and the old guy just turns back to his drink.

5) Ewan MacGregor's line in AOTC in response to the Anakin "We decided to come and rescue you." Just Obiwan looking up at the chain, then he looks back and says "Good job." sarcastic, everything. Hilarious.

6) Phantom Menace. Out of the pit, spins, lightsaber, Maul gets chopped in half. In a single move.

7) ROTJ's "I got it! I got it!" Another door closes. Han looks at the door. The whole expression on his face just says "Oops." Another funny moment.

8) "I am a Jedi, like my father before me."
"So be it... Jedi."

"I've been waiting a long time for this Solo."

"Yeah, I bet you have."

Blam!

So much better when he fried him in cold blood.

That one was a good one as well.

Sai-Lauren
03-06-2005, 12:53
2) First scene in ANH with Vader. Just walks through the door. All in black, everything else is white... :cool:

Mine as well. Actually covered in an old WD (about one of the superhero RPGs and having the villain make an entrance IIRC).

It was something like that if our first view of Vadar is him sat at a table, plotting the death of the rebel alliance, we know he's a bad guy. Having him enter as a huge black figure in a screen of white shows him to be a real villain.

2nd best scene immediately precedes that one. The whole opening when the (respectably sized) Tantive IV comes into shot over the cameras point of view, followed by the star destroyer which keeps going, and going and going, and finally passes overhead, leading the audience to think "damn, that's BIG!"

3rd best I've only ever seen once, the first time I saw Empire at the cinema. During the Hoth battle, one of the speeders kamikaze's an AT-AT head-on to try and stop it taking out the power generators. The AT-AT doesn't even shake.

AFAIK, it's never been on any other showing ever.

And I agree on Greedo as well. It shows Han to be a much more dangerous character who's eventually brought round to the rebellions point of view by events, rather than a nice-guy who just happens to be a smuggler.

tzeentchgiant
03-06-2005, 14:01
Vaders entrance, without a doubt the greatest single charcter's entrance out of everything.

Also the opening credits and music, not a true scene, but undoubtably an obvious contender for best scene.

Also most of the laghtsaber duels, leave me feeling excited.

So in answer to your question, between the opening second of a new hope, to the ending tone of Return of the Jedi.

TG

Adept
03-06-2005, 14:36
I've gotta say, that very first moment in the cinema, when those words appear on the screen...

"A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away..."

I get chills up and down my spine, anticipating that massive orchestral score.

It was actually kinda sad going to see RotS in the cinema. It was the last time I was going to see a brand new Star Wars film in the cinema. Sure, I can go and see it again, but it just isn't the same the second time.

Brother Smith
03-06-2005, 14:50
When people mock the new films (rightly so) after watching all 6 in order, they do actually fit rather well and as a whole god knows how long film, the new films do actually add the originals. And I agree about Han killing Greedo in cold blood. - why did they change that?

tzeentchgiant
03-06-2005, 14:54
Cause old George is becoming a busy body in his old age.

Also, I agree Han shooting Greedo is original and best.

TG

alterion
03-06-2005, 14:59
either - these are not the droids you are looking for..you don't need to see his indetification.. the force grip bit or when yoda starts going mental in the second film.. all classy

Chuffy
03-06-2005, 14:59
The whole "Sister.....so, you have a Sister" scene was very good, with the music getting really loud and epic and Luke forcing Vader to the ground before slicing off his hand and seeing the similarities between them and remembering, Vader is his father.

"I find your lack of faith....disturbing." <----best line from any movie ever.

Obi-Wan vs Darth, just cool. "Once I was the student, now I am the master."
"Only a master of evil Darth."

Thats what the prequels are missing, Alec Guiness.

And of course.....

"Obi-Wan never bothered telling you about your father!"
"He told me enough, he told me you killed him"
"No Luke, I am your father."

IT'S A TRAP!

Sojourner
03-06-2005, 15:21
"Close the blast doors"

"Open the blast doors, open the blast doors"

Chuffy
03-06-2005, 15:46
Hey, Ive been quoted in someones sig!

Slick. :cool:

Bmaxwell
03-06-2005, 16:25
when vader is talking to some threw a video screen i think it was esb and he kills the commanding officer but vader was (i think) in a different star system
pure badass

Sojourner
03-06-2005, 17:12
Oh yes, more...

"The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some would consider...unnatural"

I really liked McDiarmid's delivery of that line.

"Are you threatening me, Master Jedi?"

"So this is how liberty ends..with thunderous applause"

In contrast, her only good line of the film.

tzeentchgiant
03-06-2005, 17:24
when vader is talking to some threw a video screen i think it was esb and he kills the commanding officer but vader was (i think) in a different star system
pure badass

Yes I also consider that to be one of those, look he really is that evil and that powerful scenes that set the character of Star Wars out from everything else.

TG

DisruptorX
03-06-2005, 17:45
If you want to go by lines alone, I always loved the

"Oh, I'm afraid the shields will be quite operational.....when your rebel friends arrive."

and

"You will find that it is you who are mistaken...about a great many things."

Kiro
04-06-2005, 00:32
" I find your lack of faith disturbing" Awesome :D