PDA

View Full Version : So, how powerful are the ogres now? READ POLL DESCRIPTION!

Mister Blak
08-10-2011, 16:08
I am thinking about starting an OK army, but it would help to know how powerful they are now. They were reputably unusable before ( I do not speak from experience here, i mostly play vs TK, HE and rats), but now how well do they work? :confused:

the first option is if they have become rediculously overpowered, nay unbeatable. any noob can win with them now with minimal effort. :mad:

the second option means they're a good army, with powerful features, no real bad units, etc. any list works with a little effort, and fluffy lists are an actual viable option. :D

the third means that they work, but need a good general to get the best from them. i hope to get the most votes in the second and third category. :)

category four means they still suck, and still can't be used at all! :cries:

category five means that they can only be used with one or two lists, like how chaos daemons are supposed to be ( khorne-only). :(

now to sit back and wait...

Okuto
08-10-2011, 16:31
They're fine, only issue I have is the slaughtermaster is so blatantly a no brainer so you don't have much incentive to bother with a tryant.

Much like the last two new books, this is one is very good, nothing too strong, everything does it's job.

Scammel
08-10-2011, 16:43
Going off your descriptions of the options, I went for 'good'. With the possible exception of the Hunter (who still has a role if he's with some Sabretusks or on a Stonehorn) and Bragg and Greasus (who are just utterly dire, Greasus slightly less so though) there's no 'bad' units, just ones that are better than others. It's possible to eke some theme out of it and still do well - Skrag is pretty awesome and a 'gunline' is viable with a bunch of Leadbelchers and some Ironblasters. That's not to say they don't need a good general to do well, but if such a general manages to get his timing and positioning right the power of many of the units can render the game a foregone conclusion.

Jind_Singh
08-10-2011, 16:46
Good - the only model I would take each and every list is a Slaughter Master - just because I really like the Ogre lore - it's great buffs for the Ogres!

Otherwise it's a great book - wide open to lots of ways you can collect and use Ogres

Jack of Blades
08-10-2011, 16:50
It's not like the Ogres themselves wouldn't take a Slaughtermaster with them all the time anyway. It's like always including a level 4 with High Elves - it only makes sense.

Feefait
08-10-2011, 17:06
Ogres are definitely in the 'good' category. They can win just based on the strength of their core alone, and have some easy choices but they still require some work. Nothing is 'broken' as far as I can tell and in general 8th alone seems to be their real saving grace.

I've faced them them twice, and seen them in action one other time. First game the ogre player took a pretty standard 7th list against my skaven and got run off the board. Second game he dropped the smaller units, and the gnoblars and went for big hordes. I brought a sub-optimal lizardman list (horde of 40 skinks with 4 krox...) and I got trounced. Third game was ogres v orcs and it was pretty even, though in the end the orcs just couldn't do enough damage to win.

If someone tailors against them they can be pretty easily countered, like most armies. They have still some issues, but the reduced points,high charge ranges, supporting attacks and step up have made them really well balanced.

Lord Inquisitor
08-10-2011, 17:14
I'm not sure slaughtermasters are too good, they went up up 85 - I wouldn't want to pay more! But tyrants seem a bit pricey, particularly in comparison with bruisers, who got a significant price reduction.

Voss
08-10-2011, 17:18
They're fine, only issue I have is the slaughtermaster is so blatantly a no brainer so you don't have much incentive to bother with a tryant.

Much like the last two new books, this is one is very good, nothing too strong, everything does it's job.

I'd agree with both statements. Good, but not absurd. But the tyrant is really only if you want to try specific things, the slaughtermaster is the default lord choice.

It's not like the Ogres themselves wouldn't take a Slaughtermaster with them all the time anyway. It's like always including a level 4 with High Elves - it only makes sense.
Indeed. Everyone keeps a powerful wizard in their pocket and orders them out at all times against even the most minor of foes. The wizards, of course, merely accept this as their lot in life.

One of the weaknesses of the game (that has always been there): what is good in game terms is outright absurd in terms of background

cool-kid-on-the-block
08-10-2011, 23:54
ogres function well because of the 8th style of play. put the new ogre book in 7th and they will go back to rubish (with the exeption of having monster to run around with)

a strong cheap core makes them good imo.

Lordy
08-10-2011, 23:56
Tyrants are kinda like Kings, just too pricey to make use of.

Eventually most TK players will drop Kings and Princes and just take double High Priests, it's a shame GW are killing off combat lords :(

Lord Inquisitor
09-10-2011, 01:07
I still see Kings in use and I think we'll still see Tyrants. They're not prohibitively expensive and you can just about fit both in at 2500 points.

Nubl0
09-10-2011, 03:56
Most tk players I know still take a king as you can fit both in quite easily, plus MWD is really good on chairots/TG.

Ratbeast
09-10-2011, 04:25
Tyrants are kinda like Kings, just too pricey to make use of.

Eventually most TK players will drop Kings and Princes and just take double High Priests, it's a shame GW are killing off combat lords :(

Cant go pass WS 5 or 6 tomb gaurd :)

Vepr
09-10-2011, 05:03
I think they are a good solid army that can be powerful if played correctly. They are nicely balanced with the other new books in my opinion.

I am guessing they did it on purpose but the extra 85 on a SM makes it rather difficult to squeeze in a Tyrant and SM into anything less than 2500 and even at 2500 it feels like you are handicapping yourself by taking a Tyrant. I will still run one sometimes because I like the big fat lugs but I can see why they will be seeing few if any competitive lists.

Jind_Singh
09-10-2011, 06:17
All this talk about the Tyrant baffles me - me being a hard core Orcs & Goblins player I'll tell you EXACTLY why the Tyrant is still a staple of Ogre armies...

LEADERSHIP NINE BABY....

I play all Goblins and mixed Orcs & Goblins - that extra pip of leadership is HUGE!

So there is plenty reasons why a Tyrant won't go the way of the Dinosaurs with their new book - but when points are tight he'll be sacrificed for a Bruiser or Slaughter Master.

Not to mention that with hardly any upgrades he's a beast in combat....Add to this he is the only model allowed Kinslayer - comes in handy when you can't afford to take a Bruiser BSB.

If anything I am less inclined to want to take a Bruiser BSB for an Ogre army as I can't see the benefits - instantly dies if forced to fled and very unlikely any of my units will be steadfast - so the rerolls not so big.

I can quite happily run this army without the said BSB were as for other armies this is not possible! (OK, apart from Undead)

Andy p
09-10-2011, 09:21
^Although the stubborn spell from the Slaughtermaster you arent taking might work nicely with that BSB.

However on the whole I agree with your points.

Lordy
09-10-2011, 09:56
Cant go pass WS 5 or 6 tomb gaurd :)

That's all well and good but you are passing WS onto a unit that is overpriced, I guess with WS6 they are not far off being the right points though.

Most TK players are still using Kings, but as i said before, in the future you will hardly see any in tournaments I don't think, double High Priest is miles better.

As for LD9 Ogre Tyrant, a Slaughtermaster in a unit with standard of dicipline is just the same.

The Low King
09-10-2011, 16:33
with a tyrant you could get LD10 then surely........so still an extra pip of LD........

Lordy
09-10-2011, 16:38
LD10 is good, but not good enough to take a Tyrant.

Maoriboy007
09-10-2011, 22:04
Easily the most powerful of the new books.

Doommasters
10-10-2011, 03:38

Agree, they will be competitive. Sad that GW has not made an effort to increase the viability of combat lords.

Phazael
10-10-2011, 14:59

This.

After a couple dozen games in with the new book, and one or two against it, I would place the army in the upper part of the middle tier. I consider armies that can win against the big three (DE, Skaven, Lizards) but have odd matchup issues to be the middle tier, incidentally. I would put them solidly as the 6th best army, behind the big three, then Empire and Warriors, pretty much placing them on par with Daemons. Their principle flaws are a general inability to beat descent DE lists and issues against any army that can put a lot of units on the table and outmanuever them. The Ironblaster covered their most glaring weaknesses from the last book and the Hellheart gives them a tremendous edge over Lizardment and Vampires.

Also, anyone who thinks you have to have a Slaughtermaster is buying into Internet Groupthink. You don't need a L4, especially an overpriced one with a weak lore. I run two firebellies, one with the Hellheart and the other with the Scepter of Stability, and I do better than when I was experimenting with all sorts of Slaughtermaster builds. Either Lord will work just fine and you could probably run with niether if your army (like mine) is made up of mostly L8 units.

Scammel
10-10-2011, 15:31
Also, anyone who thinks you have to have a Slaughtermaster is buying into Internet Groupthink. You don't need a L4, especially an overpriced one with a weak lore.

When stuff is considered common wisdom, it's usually for a good reason, though I will agree that it's not always a good idea to take the internet too seriously. Whilst the lvl 4 debate is ongoing, the SM is certainly not overpriced for what he does. Yes, he's very expensive, but look at what you get for that: decent Ld with the SoD, a lynchpin for magical defence, respectable combat ability and a general who is about as unkillable as a Pendant Dreadlord, providing the Ogre magic phase goes reasonably well. Furthermore, whilst at face value the lore isn't as good as say Life or Beasts which have some similar uses, not only can the GM augments hit several units, they're also invaluable for frontline Ogres, who can be worryingly average at times.

WLBjork
11-10-2011, 08:06
Well, my first game against Ogres resulted in what used to be classed as a massacre in 7th. My opponent wasn't especially lucky with his Winds of Magic rolls, and as I had an Anvil and Master Rune of Balance, his Slaughtermaster + 2 Firebellies didn't really have a magic phase. I remember he successfully cast Trollguts once, and that's it.

Actually, he didn't have much luck full stop.

He did try for a deathstar lite (15-20 Ironguts, think it included the Slaughtermaster, BSB and Tyrant), which was butchered by my Hammerers (with my own Lord and BSB, as well as a nice static resolution of +8 :D) - mostly due to a bunch of failed to hit/wound rolls.

Most of the damage came from the good old Anvil's ability to allow a charge in the shooting phase (Oath and Honour).

If you're wondering about my warmachines (I didn't have any other shooting), I think I killed a couple of Ogres, and about half a Gnoblar regiment. Mostly it was old-fashioned close combat.

When we declared, he had 1 Yheti (out of 3), an intact unit of Gnoblars, an intact unit of Leadbelchers and a partial unit of Bulls (out of 3,000pts). My losses were a 25-strong Warrior regiment and my Grudgethrower (both of which I made mistakes with, so might not have lost them when I did...)

Jind_Singh
11-10-2011, 17:44

Not so Maoriboy007!

I think that from the 3 books I would rank them:

1) Orcs & Goblins
2) Ogres
3) Tomb Kings

With the gaps between them very slim - a good Tomb Kings player will know how to wreak havoc on the other 2.

Orcs & Goblins take the lead as they are almost as good in close combat as the Ogres, have access to more units, better points cost, and they also have a decent collection of magic, warmachines, and monsters.

The Ogres are a much tougher nut to crack now though - which is as it should be.

I can't wait to see what the forth army book will look like - very excited to see if they (GW) will keep up the good work of making a more balanced gaming environment!

My worries is when they have to take on a more difficult army like Dark Elves/Daemons - which tend to be REALLY bad or TOO GOOD - they are a hard book to balance with other army books.

Hopefully the next time around they will increase the points cost of said units so even if they are tough, they will be outnumbered - as it stands the current Daemons book is still a really good deal in term of points paid for ability.

I love the new Ogres book though - ALMOST as cool as my Orcs & Goblins book and that's saying something! Having just sold of my 5000 point Ogre army about 3 months ago (as I needed to raise money for gaming projects/supplies) I am now having to start them up again as the book gets me all pumped up!

WOO HOO!

Malorian
11-10-2011, 17:50
It has the potential to be a powerful army but most generals will run inferior lists in order to mix in all the new units.

The best ogre list would be just a couple of massive bull hordes with a slaughter master and bsb. This is boring however and only the most determined tournament player would be able to handle it long enough to win and not go insane.

Mercules
11-10-2011, 17:50
Good solid book with multiple viable builds to it.

Lord Inquisitor
11-10-2011, 17:56
I don't know that multiple hordes is the best build at all and that's something I like about the new books - multiple effective builds.

Mercules, you've changed your avatar! I didn't recognise you...

Mercules
11-10-2011, 18:06
Mercules, you've changed your avatar! I didn't recognise you...

Someone noticed. I have a new story I am writing about "Maw Eyes" an Ogre avatar of the Maw. I decided to change my avatar to match his physical change. I've been told it has a wonderful creepy feeling to it, which is exactly what I was going for when I made it.

thesheriff
11-10-2011, 18:27
Orcs & Goblins take the lead as they are almost as good in close combat as the Ogres, have access to more units, better points cost, and they also have a decent collection of magic, warmachines, and monsters.

Stepthef$ckback. You be trippin! (its the new avatar thats making me talk like this, i swear :shifty:)

Orc and Gobbos aint better. But in the intrests of fairness, ill break it down.

Pros;

*They get decent warmachines
*Savage orcs are well costed
*Cheap Lv.4's
*Lv.1 Shammy Spam

So, those are all good. And, from thsoe points, a decent cookie cutter can be written. But they do have some major flaws;

First, no army book lores. Lore of beasts is a god-send to Ogres. T5, S5 ogres. Thats S7 Ironguts. Bitchin!

There standard lore aint anything to be moaned at either. Gut magic got better IMO.

There monsters are way better. Stonehorns deal with one of the worst flaws with big monsters. Cannons. Less wounds taken. And, Thundertusks do alright. Saberstusks fill the same roll as wolf chariots. But cheaper, and quicker. Mournfangs also rape face. They are hand down one of the best cav units in the game.

There magic items are insane. Hellheart>lucky shrunken head in the right situation anyday.

If you can build something more powerful than this...

*Lv.4 Slaughtermaster, Hellherat, 4++
*Beast-Butcher, Lv.1
*BSB w. 4++ HA
*Min Core Ironguts in one unit w. +1ld Banner, CMD
*2x4 Mournangs, 1 with dragonhide
*3 Sabertusks
*2 Stonehorn

....for 2.5k, i take my hat off :p

I just dont see your point. Id personally put this ranking in place;

*Ogres
*TK
*Orcs

Anyone else agree? Most powerful 8th book so far IMO. Buts not OP.

thesheriff

Lord Inquisitor
11-10-2011, 18:37
I've been told it has a wonderful creepy feeling to it, which is exactly what I was going for when I made it.
Yeah, that about covers it! Did you make it from scratch?

Most powerful 8th book so far IMo.
I'm not sure. I don't know, maybe because I play ogres or because of the 3 corresponding older books ogres were perhaps the strongest but it seems that Ogres gained a lot less than the others.

Mercules
11-10-2011, 19:31
Yeah, that about covers it! Did you make it from scratch?

Mostly. I dug through close up photos of eyes on the internet until I found the right one for feeling and then altered it with GIMP adjusting saturation, hue, and such and then adding in the "Maw Fang" alterations by hand.

Shimmergloom
11-10-2011, 20:01
The Ogre book is WAY better than the other 2 8th edition books. It is no contest.

Better magic, better magic items, better war machines and actual useful cav. and real throw away units that the enemy has to be worried about in 10 strong trapper units and single sabertusks.

Jind_Singh
11-10-2011, 20:57
It's all subjective folks - way better is a strong term - we shall see how it unfolds on the table top!

I am biased of course, but in the interest of fair play the Ogres & Orcs both be on par - with the Greenskins having an edge (again subjective as it's in my eyes).

No lore from the rule book doesn't faze me - no other army has my Waaagh lore!

And the lores from the book are all fine and well, but the lore of the maw trumps them pretty much in every way - so my Level 4 will always be lore of the Maw, with a Fire eater with his lore of fire (mainly for his breath weapon he's included, as well as the model and his back ground fluff).

Put me in a room full of Ogre players, add in some beer & food for the day, and we'll see how the day turns out. While the ONG won't win each and every game I wouldn't be surprised to see them race ahead on results after a long weekend of gaming.

*Lv.4 Slaughtermaster, Hellherat, 4++
*Beast-Butcher, Lv.1
*BSB w. 4++ HA
*Min Core Ironguts in one unit w. +1ld Banner, CMD
*2x4 Mournangs, 1 with dragonhide
*3 Sabertusks
*2 Stonehorn

Is a good list - but it is all that? Not really - the Stone horns are truly a fearsome force to be reckoned with but as long as the enemy unit can hold their charge they are just good monsters after that.

Pit one of them against the Arachnork Spider....now there is a duel to worthy of tabeltop gaming.

Even my much maligned Giant will have a feast with the Ogre monsters thanks to their lower initiative stats.

And to put the ONG below Tomb Kings....it's a pretty bold statement as game results have shown that almost any mish-mash of ONG list can take the dusty bone men down pretty easy - so can't really say more than that other than the fact I've played a lot of Tomb King players (and good ones at that too) with the ONG and I think to date there was one loss - were the dice failed me and I was a bit foggy headed with how I deployed and used the army. Otherwise every Tomb King game has ended with just a small handful of models left on the board by Turn 6.

Some of the better generals are now close to finishing their Ogre armies so we'll know more over the next 2 months how the gaming results go.

@ Shimmergloom - you're dislike of the ONG book is well known so I won't even attempt to argue against your statement, but watch and see what happens!

thesheriff
11-10-2011, 21:33
But who would be better. Aragnarok, or Stone horn?

There's only one way to find out...

FIGHT!

(Glad I got that out the way :p)

You compare TK and ONG straight fight. I thinksbits a difficult comparison.

ONG, while some armies will smile when they see them, TK will cry sweet dusty tears.

TK is an army that felts on a few core principles;
*Magic Dominance
*Shooting
*War of attrition combined with hammer/anvil.

ONG almost always have a lv4, and other mages with posdibly a scroll. There almost always gonna want to get a + of some variety to dispel. Thus, TK magic, which they are so heavily reliant on for maneuverability, buffs and staying healthy, is harder to get off and less effective.

TK shooting, while accurate, is low strength. An army that can feature all T4 (and is usually leans towards it) is a bowlines worst nightmare.

TK do big recurring blocks, supported by hard hitting griblies and elites. ONG can do this cheaper, and more durably. ONG elites and monsters also excel at killing units. Savage Orcs sporting XHW in horde vs. skellies will not end well. Even Orc boyz hit them in 3's. And ain't that much more expensive than a skellie.

So, in short, I don't think this is a fair comparison. Although I can see your argument, TK excel against T3, where there low mid strength comes to the fore. Comparing them to two T4 books is a bad way to judge them. Wait till Brets and Woodies get done. Then, I reckon they will clean up!

Love how ogre related this post is...:evilgrin:

Nubl0
11-10-2011, 21:37
I saw a game with ogres vs TK. It was a really close game and despite inflicting massive casulties the ogres lost thanks to low LD,death mask and some crucial combats with buffed a buffed TG regiment.

Jind_Singh
11-10-2011, 22:20
I saw a game with ogres vs TK. It was a really close game and despite inflicting massive casulties the ogres lost thanks to low LD,death mask and some crucial combats with buffed a buffed TG regiment.

EXACTLY! And when I face the TK I use an all Goblin army so I do feel the pain of the bows/magic when it gets off, the Mask thing of doom, and the dreaded box that shoots out an Indiana Jones type weapon of Doom (the name escapes me for a moment)...CASKET OF SOULS!!! (Oh the old age, brain cells a bit jaded after a weekend of food and drink!).

EVEN though the win/loss/draw record is good vs the TK each and every game is a close fought affair that can go both ways, so while I make the bold claim the ONG have a better time of it than the TK against each other, it's a slim margin - and this is were the OK fall in - again really close to each other but over the TK they have an edge which will tip the balance into their favor as the higher toughness, multiple wounds and immunity to the Tomb Guard killing blow means they overcome some of the TK strengths - which is why the Ogres get to grind a lot of bones of make Ogre bread!

The 3 books make for an extremely close gaming environment which is why I am excited to see what the forth book brings - and I hope they stay true to the current format!

But with regards to the topic - the Ogre book, as it is, is rocking hard - the Ogres can meet with any of the armies out there now and face them on an equal footing - which hasn't been the case for a long time now!

With their solid magic, great magic items (except the magic weapons, they are sub-par), new shock cavalry (deadly and make me wee my Goblinoid pants), useful maneaters, and deadly monsters the Ogres are back with a vengeance!

They could quite possibly be the greatest threat to the Old World with their current population surge, and with the way the army works now they can quite feasibly do the Empire what they did to the Sky Giants! If I was Karl Franz I would be looking to move to a new country - preferably the land of the High Elves! OR I would be dipping into my treasury to see if I could hire the entire Ogre Race to help clean out the forests once and for all of Beastmen/Forest Goblins, then send them south to make a mark on the bad lands.

Nubl0
11-10-2011, 23:01
I too love how the new books are very close. As for TK being weak against T4 armies, that is a false claim. The sheer amount of shots they can do some, if not minimal damage. Plus f the TK player so wishes he can field his own very smashy units hell even the humble chariots can cause some serous pain with impact hits and ushabiti are nthing to sniff at. Most of the TK skellie hordes will never really be ws2 because you will almost always find a prince/king in there. They also can pull of some crazy stuff in the magic phase with the casket and hierotitan around and then we get to the infamous T8 monster who can be a real pain to get rid off.

Although in the case of TK vs OK I will admit that trying to hold up a horde of bulls with anything less the tomb guard won't really work as they will cause so much damage. better off to hit them with chariots in the flank and deny them the charge at all costs while dominating the magic phase.

When it comes to non 8th books though I have been a little unimpressed by the new Ogres. I have seen quite a few just get totally smashed by the usual skaven or lizard lists which is a shame. Atleast around here the TK kinda shake up the meta by stopping slave bus shenanigans with the deathmask... now imagine if ogres had that item. Yummy.

Gork or Possibly Mork
11-10-2011, 23:36
All this talk about the Tyrant baffles me - me being a hard core Orcs & Goblins player I'll tell you EXACTLY why the Tyrant is still a staple of Ogre armies...

LEADERSHIP NINE BABY....

I play all Goblins and mixed Orcs & Goblins - that extra pip of leadership is HUGE!

So there is plenty reasons why a Tyrant won't go the way of the Dinosaurs with their new book - but when points are tight he'll be sacrificed for a Bruiser or Slaughter Master.

Not to mention that with hardly any upgrades he's a beast in combat....Add to this he is the only model allowed Kinslayer - comes in handy when you can't afford to take a Bruiser BSB.

If anything I am less inclined to want to take a Bruiser BSB for an Ogre army as I can't see the benefits - instantly dies if forced to fled and very unlikely any of my units will be steadfast - so the rerolls not so big.

I can quite happily run this army without the said BSB were as for other armies this is not possible! (OK, apart from Undead)

1. Standard of Discipline=LD9 with Slaughtermaster. As cheap as bruisers, firebellies and butchers are i find it hard to take a Tyrant for the little extra punch he gives. Im not giving up a Lvl.4 and the Slaughtermaster is not too shabby a fighter when equipped well.

2. I will always find a way to afford to take a Bruiser BSB. He really is that useful even for OK. BSB goes in my stubborn maneaters or Ironguts with a character usually my SM with the crown so they're most likely not fleeing anytime soon. There is also spine marrow if he's in another unit and im worried. Another thing is i don't plan on losing too many combats with the unit he's in but if i do i have insurance.

3. Im just not finding any good reason to take a Tyrant unless it's 3000+ pts. game and even then it's hard to justify his points sadly. Maybe for cool factor
buts that's about it.

The ONLY thing i don't like about Slaughtermaster and no Tyrant is him being your caster AND your general. I suppose i could take another bruiser but i want the magic support another caster firebelly or a butcher provides and if i take another character it's starts eating into my army points too much
plus the Slaughtermaster is not easy to kill especially kitted out.

That and i have a really nicely converted Tyrant that i'd like to still field but im having a hard time justifying what he brings to the table that i can't get for cheaper. He's almost become redundant.

Sure he can make a unit a little killier but my units are pretty killy as is, sure he can provide even LD10 with discipline but i didn't need LD10 before. LD9 with re-roll is fine.

For ratings i'd rate them reasonable to good.

Mister Blak
12-10-2011, 12:12
Good to see that the new ogres have been so well recieved!:DIm going to be strating some ironskins any time now.

colonel kane trine
12-10-2011, 12:36
As I new ogre player and a long time tomb kings player il definately put ogres above tomb kings.
I am going to include a tyrant in my army regardless of what the internet says

Enigmatik1
12-10-2011, 12:46
Good to see that the new ogres have been so well recieved!:DIm going to be strating some ironskins any time now.

Yeah, it is good. Although I don't remember seeing/reading anywhere near the positive feedback the fat boys have gotten for Tomb Kings. :shifty:

I think the number of people reportedly jumping on the "Gravy Train" is a pretty good indicator as to where the army stands power-wise. Ogre armies are popping up everywhere! Of course, having awesome models to work with definitely helps too. They get the Firebelly and that awesome Wave-Motion-Gun-on-the-back-of-a-monster...we get Necropolis Knights (yuck) and "Gotta Pee Priest."

Luckily, the potential value within the Sphinx box makes it a little less disgusting...haha! And I hold out a small sliver of hope that GW will redeem themselves with a nasty Hierotitan/Necrolith Colossus box...before I turn 50 (I'm now 36). :angel:

Razakel
12-10-2011, 12:59
I only played a single game against Ogres which I won, but my opponent could very easily have taken that game if the dice were a bit different. I voted 'Good' because I really don't feel like there are any bad units in the army. Yeah Gnoblars are 'bad' and Ogres are 'better' and Ironguts are better again, but Gnoblars have a definite role, I really like the way they changed Trappers. I thought that in particular was ingenious.

I look forward to more games against OK players :)

Phazael
12-10-2011, 15:23
I have 30 and change games in so far. I settled into what I feel will be my main tourney list about six games ago and that list has gone 5-1, its sole loss being to a 3++ Tzeench Chosenstar list. Prior to that, while I was experimenting and generally trying out each unit, I was pulling down a 60-70% win rate. My opponents were not always top notch, but the armies certainly were not lacking (double hydra DE, 2xTank Empire, ect) so I learned a lot in a short time. Hardest matches for me have been Warriors and High Elves. I think a Dark Elves built around witches would be the hardest match of all. The army absolutely rolls Lizards or Vamps and seems to fare well against any gunline.

popisdead
12-10-2011, 22:27
Everything has a good bump and there are some great things in the book. After seeing Hellheart a couple times in a game, it's less scary to me.

I think it's an A+ release by GW for being well rounded, book, fluff, models. It's all good.

Athariel
13-10-2011, 09:39
I have played against the new Ogres several times now with my Tomb Kings at 1000 points and lost every game :(.

I seem to have a problem with Maneaters sniping my Heirophant regardless of what ward save I give him and then rolling stupid high numbers for unstable. I will put it down to unlucky dice and Ogres being too powerful but in actuality I just suck.

Yes Ogres are good but I would not say that they are overpowered.

Okuto
13-10-2011, 13:29
Gun-on-the-back-of-a-monster...we get Necropolis Knights (yuck) and "Gotta Pee Priest."

That Liche priest was an abomination.......:shifty: