PDA

View Full Version : What's PDF?

Icewalker
03-06-2005, 04:29
I was reading Nachtbringer and heard of the PDF troopers for the first time. I was curious as to who those guys are. From what I gather, they seem to be conscripts. Is this assumption correct?

Vanus
03-06-2005, 04:34
PDF Stands for Planetary Defense Force. Basically, in addition to raising Imperial Guard regiments, most planets also raise a planetary defense force. They're around to defend the planet until help arrives, most cannot stave off a full invasion for very long.

And yes, they're generally conscripted/drafted into a PDF.

DantesInferno
03-06-2005, 04:38
Planetary Defence Force.

Yeah, more or less. Imperial Governors are responsible for the defence of the worlds under their control, and they also have to raise regiments of Guardsmen for the Imperial Guard.

So the best fighters generally are sent into the Guard, where they can serve the Emperor and die on some distant planet, and the remaining recruits are formed into the PDF to become the first line of defence for their planet (except on heavily militarised planets like Cadia).

They're not necessarily conscripts though, it will depend on how the Imperial Governor raises his troops, not all will necessarily use conscription to fill their quota of Guard regiments and PDF forces. On some planets it may be considered a great honour to join the Guard and PDF forces, so the Governor may not have to worry about conscriptng people.

EDIT: Yeah, pretty much as Vanus said.

Avenging Dentist
03-06-2005, 04:45
Also, the quality of a PDF force varies widely. They could be little better than meatshields to soak up bullets until the Guard arrive, or - as in the case of Macragge's PDF - they could be crack soldiers who just weren't quite good enough to become Marines. Of course, a large part of this is probably due to the fact that Ultramar isn't required to levy troops for the Imperial Guard...

Easy E
03-06-2005, 17:10
Check out this thread for more PDF discussion:

http://www.portent.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3106

Sojourner
03-06-2005, 17:12
They vary as much as the guard itself does. Some (conscientious) planets raise all their troops to the standard of the Imperial guard, others are mere cannon fodder and rely on the Munitorum to beef them up to interplanetary grade.

warlordgrubnatz
05-06-2005, 17:54
pdf= planetary defence force: usualy a regiment of imperial gurdsmen or a garricon of space marines

blitz589
06-06-2005, 01:29
Pdf is read by adobe reader

DantesInferno
06-06-2005, 02:28
*Sigh* What a pointless post, mate.

And for warlordgrubnatz, PDF are NOT a garrison of Space Marines. Aside from the fact that Marines don't do garrison work anyway except under the most exceptional of circumstances, PDF are just normal human soldiers, typically of lower quality than the Imperial Guard.

Darius Rhiannon
06-06-2005, 05:16
Actually the PDF is not necessarily of lower quality than the IG regiments raised from a planet.

After all when the munistorum sends out its raising tithe it says, "We want to raise three regiments, supply 24 000 solidier candidates"

It is up to the planetary governor wheter he weakens his own position by sending the troops for whom he has paid for himself, or by just conscriptin 24 000 and have the munistorum train them.

Remember, the PDF is the imperial governor's troops which he uses to keep peace on his planet. What would you do?

Also remember that PDF's also include veteran guard regiments that have been given the "right to conquest". I assume most of you would agree there is a large divergence between hardened veterans and conscripts...

milmot
06-06-2005, 08:34
Would IG regiments be better equiped than PDF?

I seem to get the impression that this is the case.
Both IG and PDF get equiped by the planet they are raised upon, but does the Imperium have a minimum grade for IG regiments? And do planetary governors have less equiped PDF to cut down costs?

Morgan Keyes
06-06-2005, 08:43
The general trend seems to be that the PDF is equipped to the local tech level, or what the economy can support if the it decides (and is able) to import gear.

The Imperial Guard regiments are (eventually) equipped to roughly the same standard by the Munitorium, if for no other reason then it makes it easier to supply them.

athamas
06-06-2005, 09:06
on a lower tech world, i would expect the majority to be armed with lesser tech weapons, however any governer worth his salt is goingto have a core of highly trained and equiped body gaurds...

Easy E
07-06-2005, 00:01
To quote world shatter from a different thread:

on equipment- from what i remember of rogue trader fluff the reason the lasgun is the standard weapon of the imperium is not its awesome power or reliability, its the fact that it can be built with just about anything . Lasguns made from iron and wood might take longer to manufacture and lack the advanced features of the rifles produced on more developed worlds- but they still do the job . So feral pdf's should be able to scrounge up quite a few las rifles, its just their culture and training that makes them less reliant on advanced ranged weaponry .