PDA

View Full Version : 2 things- Army selection and Model Range Question

Tarliyn
09-10-2011, 15:27
So looking to start warmaster and a bit lost on a few things.
1) So I will end up building two armies up at the same time, one for me and one for my opponent. Here are the possible pairings I am thinking of going with: High Elf vs Daemon, High Elf vs Dwarf, Empire vs OnG, Empire vs VC, or Empire vs Chaos. I chose those cause I could develop a strong narrative for them. Which ones would be the best suited to fight each other and provide a balanced and more importantly fun game.

2) Are many models oop. Can up still buy all the models required from GW or do you need hit up secondary sources a lot (ie ebay, other companys, etc). Also whats with the demon entries. It says demonic hordes, each god seems to have its own hordes but when it says demonic swarms only nurgle seems to rise to the occasion. Did there used to be models for all the different entries for all the different gods?

3). Do you need any special equipment that I may not have from playing warhammer over the years?

Thanks guys! I am kinda excited and want to start buying stuff up :D

Any help you could offer would be great and if you think of anything else I should know by all means tell me.

Sent from my phone, sorry for errors

Spectrar Ghost
09-10-2011, 17:11
AFAIK, only Kislev is discontinued. Everything els is still available from GW. You shouldn't need anything special as long as you have a ruler with cm markings (the current GW tape measure does).

As far as daemonic swarms, nurglings are the only thing small and numerous enough to count. Beasts, Cav, Hounds, and Flyers are only aligned to certain powers, too.

Tarliyn
10-10-2011, 04:43
More questions :D

So what is the min gme size you should play. For instance, in warhammer the min points you would probably wanna play with is 1.5k with 3k generally being the biggest for your standard games. Obviously you can play more or less but the game is designed around those point levels.

What are those point levels for warmaster?

Also I narrowed my possible pairings down to high elf vs daemon, high elf vs dwarf, or empire vs vc. Any thoughts on those?

Just trying to plan my first purchases :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tarliyn
10-10-2011, 04:44
Double post oops

AndrewGPaul
10-10-2011, 09:13
Multiples of 1,000 points is the way to go, since all the troop allowances are "per 1,000 points". 1,000 is pretty much the minimum, and 2,000 is pretty much standard.

Nuada
10-10-2011, 09:40
As AndrewGPaul says 2,000 points is the standard game, but i think 1,000 points is too small. Although if you were doing a campaign narrative style battle, small skirmish 1k games might work (eg. the vanguard of both armies fight for a tower, the winner has control of the tower when both the main armies meet)

Our group does 2k or 3k, the game usually takes us an hour per 1,000 points and we're not fast. :)

Also I narrowed my possible pairings down to high elf vs daemon, high elf vs dwarf, or empire vs vc. Any thoughts on those?

All armies are fairly well balanced in warmaster.

I'd vote for Empire v's Vampire Counts, with high elf v daemon as my 2nd choice.

There's a big 5,000 point battle between Emp and VC in WarMag issue 13. They recreate the Battle of Hel Fenn ... it has 76 units of zombies, skeletons, grave guard etc. Epic battle.

Spectrar Ghost
10-10-2011, 11:18
Agreed. 2k is a good size. 1k is a bit low. Above 4-5k gets really unwieldy.

Vos
10-10-2011, 17:44
We tend to play 4K a side games and can get these finished over a 4 hour evening. But we're experienced and reasonably fast.

My advice would be to go for Empire vs VC - they're very evenly matched and are 'classic' enemies. Read the Carstein trilogy from Black Library. The battle of Hel Fen is a classic!

Vos

wellspring
11-10-2011, 20:42
My advice is typically to play 2000 point games, and to collect 3000 point armies. That gives you plenty of room to customize different kinds of forces for different kinds of scenarios.

Some forces to consider: elves, undead and chaos are cheap on ebay.

The coolest models (IMO) are Araby and Lizardmen-- and they play very well, too.

azraelezekiel
08-11-2011, 08:50
Play 1k to get a feel for the rules system, then go to 2k for general games.
We also omit magic from the first few games to allow new players to get a feel for the main mechanincs of the game.

As for OOP there are some ALT units that are OOP and go for STUPID money, but they have no official rules.

I have a couple of cheap empire armies if you are interested ;)