PDA

View Full Version : penal guard conversion kit

Spadge981
09-10-2011, 17:36
Saw a disscussion here the other day about penal legion and models , but cant find the thread now . Heres hoping ive posted it in the right thread .
Came across this site the other day , make sure you check out Victorias portfolio theres some models that most of you here will be familer with !

http://www.victorialamb.com/store.html

Worship
09-10-2011, 17:41
Wow, excellent conversion parts. I've been wanting to create a legit penal legion squad and I might go with those.

Chem-Dog
09-10-2011, 18:27
Saw a disscussion here the other day about penal legion and models , but cant find the thread now . Heres hoping ive posted it in the right thread .
Came across this site the other day , make sure you check out Victorias portfolio theres some models that most of you here will be familer with !

http://www.victorialamb.com/store.html

The convo actually included a link to pics of that kit, but in pre-production sculpts, not actual metal. These actually look a lot nicer.

I'm sorely tempted to buy some of her stuff, but Aussie taxing weirdness worries me.

Lord Damocles
09-10-2011, 18:30
Oh hell yes. Those bald heads are very nice.

...also, must... resist... Fen Guards...

amijp
09-10-2011, 18:50
...also, must... resist... Fen Guards...

Haha, I checked out the link, but then went straight to the Fen Guard scultps, and I was thinking exactly the same as you! Amazing models, I remember seeing here GD winning Fen Guard in WD I think, and I wished they had been massed produced then. Must resist...:D

Those bald heads would work brilliantly for Deleaque conversions...

victoria
09-10-2011, 20:42
Hi, Thanks for the comments. :cool:
The Penal Guard are something I had wanted to do for sometime, so I'm really pleased to have them available now. I had a lot of fun putting together and painting the 'not' Riddick character.

Aussie taxing weirdness worries me.
Not sure what you mean, I have not had any customers in Australia or overseas complain of being slogged with extra taxes or inport duties. let me know if you have questions.

Cheers,
Vic.
:)

Chem-Dog
09-10-2011, 23:05
Not sure what you mean, I have not had any customers in Australia or overseas complain of being slogged with extra taxes or inport duties. let me know if you have questions.

Cheers,
Vic.
:)

Fair enough, I've seen a lot of chatter on various topics commenting on high prices for shipping (specifically GW) stuff into Aus and kinda assumed the same would apply in reverse.

PANZERBUNNY
09-10-2011, 23:06
Human bomb or it doesn't count.

tu33y
10-10-2011, 07:31
that is awesome. really really crisp... i LIKE it

chromedog
10-10-2011, 07:31
Fair enough, I've seen a lot of chatter on various topics commenting on high prices for shipping (specifically GW) stuff into Aus and kinda assumed the same would apply in reverse.

Not normally.
GST is subtracted from international orders (it's only payable on orders inside Aus territories).
Import duties would depend on your country (Canada is known for this loopiness). It shouldn't be an issue.
Shipping from Oz to ROW is often cheaper than the opposite way.

I've seen them in person. While not a fan of the hairy legged skirt legs (they are not kilts, those troopers were Scottish WOMEN, in skirts.) these look quite nice. Tempted into getting a set myself, just so that I can make my "marbo" a Riddick.

Wishing
10-10-2011, 07:39
Wow, all the models on that page are awesome. With regards to the penal legionnaires, to relate this to the "do imperial guard belong in 40k" thread, if all IG looked like those guys, all my problems with IG aesthetics would be instantly gone.

Angelwing
10-10-2011, 18:45
Those penal troopers are excellent. Also, the spanish inquisition is sooo tempting....
When do I get paid next?

terradax
10-10-2011, 19:04
Why aren't those IG bits in plastic!? It's gonna cost me a lot to make an entire army now :(

...by the way, great stuff!

Chem-Dog
11-10-2011, 01:51
Why aren't those IG bits in plastic!? It's gonna cost me a lot to make an entire army now :(

Option 1: Buy the Metals and bits-service the plastics to go with.
Option 2: Buy the Metals and buy the plastics and flog the bits you don't want.

Now, neither may sound particularly fantastic but (with respect to the Kilted models) Legs are typically the thing most people end up wanting because there's always a whole bunch of unused torsos but never any unused legs SO, you can capitalise either way.

You could go REALLY berzerk and only buy Heavy weapons and Command squads.

Ohh.....there's an idea.....

Beppo1234
11-10-2011, 06:32
Option 1: Buy the Metals and bits-service the plastics to go with.
Option 2: Buy the Metals and buy the plastics and flog the bits you don't want.

Now, neither may sound particularly fantastic but (with respect to the Kilted models) Legs are typically the thing most people end up wanting because there's always a whole bunch of unused torsos but never any unused legs SO, you can capitalise either way.

You could go REALLY berzerk and only buy Heavy weapons and Command squads.

Ohh.....there's an idea.....

or one could buy the scots kit, and the penal kit, and you should be creating two squads with no leftovers

Hrw-Amen
11-10-2011, 13:43
Great models and conversion kits. They do look really good and I like them a lot.

Can I ask though, (Without wanting to appear too miserable.) when some companies start producing stuff to go with GW kits as conversions they seem to get jumped on by GW and sent a C&D. Has this happened or is there an arrangement?

I ask this as I see the GD entry photos and awards and I wondered if they had sanctioned these parts?

If so then jolly good show as they are just what the IG need for variety and the more the better.

StratManKudzu
11-10-2011, 14:35
Great models and conversion kits. They do look really good and I like them a lot.

Can I ask though, (Without wanting to appear too miserable.) when some companies start producing stuff to go with GW kits as conversions they seem to get jumped on by GW and sent a C&D. Has this happened or is there an arrangement?

I ask this as I see the GD entry photos and awards and I wondered if they had sanctioned these parts?

If so then jolly good show as they are just what the IG need for variety and the more the better.

Victoria Lamb doesn't advertise them as being for use with gw plastics, That may help.

clangedinn
11-10-2011, 16:28
Wow nice penal guard and i really like the highland guard also

Tay051173096
11-10-2011, 16:40
More parts for my chaos Salvar!

Love the chem heads!

Chem-Dog
11-10-2011, 17:53
or one could buy the scots kit, and the penal kit, and you should be creating two squads with no leftovers

Hmmm......You may be on to something there....

More parts for my chaos Salvar!

I am fundamentally opposed to this concept....:p

elite_dannux
11-10-2011, 18:14
Doesnt this fall into the same category as the GW vs Chapterhouse Studios lawsuit?

Making parts for models GW hasnt released yet seems to be a no-no from GW lawyars.

deadrifler
11-10-2011, 18:41
Doesnt this fall into the same category as the GW vs Chapterhouse Studios lawsuit?

Making parts for models GW hasnt released yet seems to be a no-no from GW lawyars.

As long as she doesn't go "This is for Imperial Guard, as a conversion."? Penal Legions are not a GW Copyright believe it or not. There have been Sci-Fi pressganged Marines killing crap before GW went "ooo that sounds grimdark." lol

Erazmus_M_Wattle
11-10-2011, 18:54
Yeah. I'd strongly suspect she would and will have no problems at all.

As a scot the kilted legs look awesome. I've always wanted to do some. I'm going to buy a load of chaos marauder bare heads of eBay or a bits site and paint them all red haired. I've got loads of spare weapons from the heavy weapons sprues so a few kneeling legs and I'll be sorted.

The penal guys are cool. A Riddick model for Sly Marbo is a cracking idea. I'm stealing it.

deadrifler
11-10-2011, 18:55
Yeah. I'd strongly suspect she would and will have no problems at all.

As a scot the kilted legs look awesome. I've always wanted to do some. I'm going to buy a load of chaos marauder bare heads of eBay or a bits site and paint them all red haired. I've got loads of spare weapons from the heavy weapons sprues so a few kneeling legs and I'll be sorted.

The penal guys are cool. A Riddick model for Sly Marbo is a cracking idea. I'm stealing it.

You could snag some Slayer heads and slap their big mohawks on them too. lol

victoria
11-10-2011, 20:45
Hard to say. Though I would hope not. I have never said that these pieces are for use with GW kits, or even suitable for GW kits. There are actually many ranges that they would be compatible with, including other plastic sci-fi troops.
I never mention any GW trademarked terms. I never even use the phrase Imperial Guard or Penal Legion.
I will soon have arms and more legs of my own available so it won't be necessary to use third party bits at all if you don't want to.
Cheers,
And thanks for all the comments.
Vic.

Chem-Dog
11-10-2011, 22:21

Not really, far as I understand it GW reacted (as they are legally obliged to) to Chapterhouse's apparent breach of copyright law regarding specific pieces of iconography. I make no argument for one side of the camp or the other.

The kits that we see on Victoria Miniatures are Humans which can't technically be Copyrighted (the basic design has long since become Public Domain ;)) aside from that there is actually nothing in them which ties them in with 40K specifically, the Kilted Guardsmen and the Penal Legion trooper examples are only made those things by virtue of the IG parts attached to them and our understanding of the 40K universe. GW doesn't own the copyright on prisoners (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093894/) with big (possibly explosive) collars (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103239/). Nor do they hold exclusive rights to men in Kilts.

I will soon have arms and more legs of my own available so it won't be necessary to use third party bits at all if you don't want to.

Looking forward to it already :)

Barbarossa
12-10-2011, 14:18
Seeing Victoria Lamb on here makes me feel all fanboy-ish, and I'm over 30.

Anyway, I need to work through my backlog of modelling projects so I can fianlly aloow myself to buy new stuff. Like, say, conversion kits for certain Fen Guards.

tongalad
12-10-2011, 23:21
I wasn't expecting the inquisition........

Tomxj
13-10-2011, 10:38
Seeing Victoria Lamb on here makes me feel all fanboy-ish, and I'm over 30.

ditto, she's miniature painting royalty.

Tom j