PDA

View Full Version : 2400 Skaven Competitive

thrawn
09-10-2011, 21:56
been playing warhammer for over 15 years; second try at skaven, first try with 8th edition. let me know if it's a good list, before i start buying the models!!!!:p

warlord -190
potion of strength
armour of silver steel
fencer's blades

grey seer -285
extra token
skalm

bsb -142
standard of horned rat
shield

warlock engineer -165
lvl 2
warpmusket
warp energy condenser
doomrocket

50 slaves -102
musician

50 clanrats -310
sheilds
f/c
poison wind mortar

50 clanrats -315
shields
f/c
warp fire thrower

50 storm vermin -455
f/c
warp fire thrower
banner eternal flame

5 giant rats -23
packmaster

5 giant rats -23
packmaster

warp lightning cannon -90

doomwheel -150

doomwheel -150

2400 points, what we usually play.

comments? suggestions?

lovedinplaster
10-10-2011, 23:10
Warlock is over costed. Way too easy to kill. And the musket is useless with him. Drop him a level, and get rid of the musket. Unless. He's going to die anyway.

Your bsb needs protection. And standard of the horned rat isn't going to do much seeing as how you won't be causing much ld tests on other units. Maybe drop the magic standard and the warlock stuff for protection on him.

At that points cost.. It's smart to get a dispel scroll in there..

Im also thinking your clanrats are too big..40 is good on those numbers unless you are running them both as horse? Which is a bad idea because your field will be hard to maneuver..

Morax
11-10-2011, 15:45
been playing warhammer for over 15 years; second try at skaven, first try with 8th edition. let me know if it's a good list, before i start buying the models!!!!:p

warlord -190
potion of strength
armour of silver steel
fencer's blades

For the most part combat characters will not get thier points back. The major exception to this would be Queek as he brings a few things to the army other then his personal ability to kill things.

grey seer -285
extra token
skalm

Always a great inclusion. A grey seer is the back bone of most skaven armies and the answer to everything the rest of the army cannot kill.

bsb -142
standard of horned rat
shield

I include one just like this in my list. However if you are going to take that big expensive banner you need to have a plan for using it for all it is worth. I get the most out of mine by including a second chieftain with the portents of verminous doom and the terrifiying mask of EEE! Gives me access to terror in unit and a nice debuff to surrounding leaderships. That comes into play with any hellpits I field which is usually one unless I am playing competitively and then its 2-3.

warlock engineer -165
lvl 2
warpmusket
warp energy condenser
doomrocket

A lot of gear for a little ol warlock. His primary use is to get a freebie warp lightning. Past that a doom rocket. The two togeather however do not have any synergy as warp lightning needs to be cast from afar and the doom rocket should be shot from along a flank and relatively up close.

50 slaves -102
musician

Great unit, never goes wrong.

50 clanrats -310
sheilds
f/c
poison wind mortar

Great unit if a little big. A problem you will face while playing skaven is that you will potentially have 3-4 hordes of troops on the table. This can be very unwieldly very quickly.

50 clanrats -315
shields
f/c
warp fire thrower

The warpfire thrower is bes used in conjunction with slaves to anchor the unit down. If you toast a few slaves in the firing process, who cares? With only one unit of slaves it can be difficult to link two warpfire throwers with them.

50 storm vermin -455
f/c
warp fire thrower
banner eternal flame

Point for point one of the strongest units in the game. Can't suggest thier inclusion in a skaven force enough.

5 giant rats -23
packmaster

5 giant rats -23
packmaster

Great redirectors/speed bumps.

warp lightning cannon -90

doomwheel -150

doomwheel -150

The doomwheel has a strong presance in a skaven list but I'm not sure I would take two. They can be fragile and once combat starts they lose some of thier usefulness.

2400 points, what we usually play.

comments? suggestions?

The above comments are just some food for thought. These suggestions are with them inmind.

I would either drop the warlord or bump him up to Queek. Personally for a competitive enviorment I like to take Queek but if you are playing a bit mkore relaxed I would just go with dropping him.

I would drop the warp musket off of the engineer and the doomrocket off of the engineer. This would give you the points for a second engineer with the afore mentioned doomrocket. The split would give you flexability with them and the ability to not worry about throwing the Rocket engineer where you need him and then dieing.

Next I would take the points you gained from dropping the warlord and take a chieftain with portents of verminous doom and the terrifying mask of EEE. That would give you a pretty solid chance of you opponent failing that fear/terror check caused by the chieftain and making a unit of clanrats pretty scary.

I'd then drop all of the clanrats down to 40, the slaves down to 40, and drop the plague wind mortar. This should give you the points for another unit of slaves around 40 models strong. The extra points could be used to change a doomwheel to a hellpit. These changes should give you an army able to face anything an opponent will throw at it.

thrawn
12-10-2011, 16:46
hey thanks for the feedback.

the big suggestions seem to be getting protection on the bsb, cutting the warlock in points as he will die, and cutting the size of the units down.

however, cutting the units down in size confuses me the most. as a HE player, I get most frustrated when i face big blocks of guys, as no matter how many i kill, he always has guys attacking me back and wearing me down, not to mention he's stubborn.

if i should cut the units down to 40, how should i run them, horde or 5 by 8?

Morax
12-10-2011, 17:33
Horde and 5x8 work. It really just depends on the situation. Thats why you keep a musician in the unit for swift reforms to get whichever formation you need at the time.

russellmoo
12-10-2011, 17:57
First- decide which model you want as your general- warlord, or grey seer

For a warlord general- warlock augmented weapon, talisman of preservation, enchanted shield- or better still- take Queek Headtaker and leave the grey seer as is-

Grey seer general- put a ward save on him, grab a bell, or put him in a 30 clanrat bunker- and then give your warlord the fellblade- it is lots of fun-

The engineer needs to lose the musket- if you like the idea of a musket WE, then take a WE, with optics, and a musket, and put him in a unit of jezzails- however, this is not a very good choice for a competitive environment-

If you want to do a horde of clanrats do it right- make it size 70

So you would have
50 slaves
70 clanrats
30 clanrats (bunker)

Same models- a bit more effective use-

Personally, I would do this instead-

50 slaves
50 slaves
50 clanrats
30 clanrats

This gives you two hordes, and 2 deep units, and the bunker behind will ensure everything is within the LD bubble-

As far as the BSB- with this build you can leave your BSB as is, just put him in the bunker- it will still be effective as your units are all within 12" this will increase the chances of every enemy unit that charges in will be effected by the banner-

Check out my tactica- it is useful for new skaven players- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zat3McCWmZ

LordCreep
13-10-2011, 13:42
nice i like it good work