PDA

View Full Version : Climbing hills / mountains in 8th

Zirkonicky
10-10-2011, 14:10
Hey guys,

last weekend I crafted a few bits of scenery for our warhammer world, including two mountains/hills. Since there aren't realy much rules in the rulebook regarding hills/mountains (at least, I couldn't find many) I wondered how you guys play using hills/mountains.

A few questions
* When moving UP a mountain, do you use a movement penalty? (since you have to climb?)
* When shooting from a mountain, do you gain a bonus

Thanksk guys?

FashaTheDog
10-10-2011, 15:19
The rulebook says on page 118 specifically says how to play hills, so generally hills are just raised open ground that will block or grant line of sight on occasion and perhaps provide a +1 bonus to a unit charging down it, but are otherwise considered by most players to be mostly decorative in nature. If you call it mysterious terrain, which most tournaments I've been to do not, then they may have more of a game impact due to special rules.

Mountains have no rulebook rules so they are either hills, impassable terrain, or given special rules, although the former two are the most common, depending on the specific piece.

Cxt
10-10-2011, 17:42
Hills by the rules are mostly pointless in my opinion. I prefer to use them as if you are on top, you have line of sight over troops (for shooting) as if it was a real hill, and not just a bump in the ground. The problem is a hill big enough to be considered a real hill, does not work very well on the table top. I suppose GW hills may be big enough, but those monsters kill your troops when you are only partially on. I won't put a metal figure anywhere near those things. So yeah, I house rule hills to make them more than what FashaTheDog said, decorative.

Mountains have always been used as impassable terrain at my place and in the tournaments I run.

IF I were to use them otherwise, you could try out 1/2 movement when going up or down (you can't run down a mountain in wargear, too steep/treacherous). When defending against a charge, maybe a bonus of +1 or +2. Only shooting bonus I would see is line of sight perhaps, as I doubt you have a huge mountain that can fit troops.

Could also make it so only skirmishing troops can use a mountain, or they can use it at full speed.

I feel impassible is best though, then you actually have to move around it, which can mess up/create all sorts of tactical situations.

leecutter
10-10-2011, 19:39
It can though, I made a couple of my hills about 3 1/2 inches so they block LoS to things like cavalry and ogers. The corners don't slope gradually they go from 3 1/2" down to the tabletop over only about 1/2 an inch. Then I made several small blocks of wood, painted green and flocked at 3 1/2" so that a unit half on a hill can actually be placed there by placing a block underneath.

That way the hills are high enough to block line of sight and ranged troops on them get a great view of the battlefield. Making the hills that big seems to be the only way to capture the idea these hills are supposed to represent.

H33D
11-10-2011, 02:20
The steeper parts of the hill I would call impassible, otherwise it would be open terrain for me.

stashman
11-10-2011, 11:15
Scree Slope = Dangerous Terrain

Dirty Mac
12-10-2011, 03:41
At my house we have the rule that Hills are infinitely high and block line of sight for everything. unless you are on the hill.