PDA

View Full Version : First look at the new plastic Tau Piranha

shasojason
14-04-2006, 18:44
I got home from work last night and was pleased to see a package from Games Workshop mail order waiting on my doorstep for me. Upon opening it up it was my new plastic Tau Piranha skimmers!

I decided to write up a quick review and build (https://newtype.wordpress.com/2006/04/14/first-look-at-the-new-plastic-tau-piranha/) of the model and post it on my blog.

Thanks for looking! :)

emperorattack
14-04-2006, 19:19
how long was the basic assembly

shasojason
14-04-2006, 19:43
how long was the basic assembly

Took about an hour, the next one will probably go a lot faster now that I know what I'm doing.

Norminator
14-04-2006, 19:49
Your Tau look really nice, got any more photos of them :D

I've been really toying with the idea of getting the Piranhas, but then I saw the FW ones...

One question; how hard does it look to paint the cockpit details now you've assembled it?

cav da man
14-04-2006, 21:08
phew, for a sec there i thought you were complaining and i was like "noooooo i wanna buy one of them"
Nice pictures, looks a bit fiddely but cool.
So everything fits together nicely yay!

The Orange
14-04-2006, 21:21
Thanks for the preview shots, I'm really liking the piranha, with the exception for the split engine, everything looks good. And the fact that the pilots are separate is really nice, I might try planting some in a tank for a conversion :evilgrin: .

It dosen't look like it has the small fins on the bottom like the FW Piranha, can you confirm that?

Thud
14-04-2006, 21:37
I got one of those three-packs of Pirhanas a few weeks ago, but due to my current employment I hadn't the opportunity to put them together before yesterday.

IMHO they were suffering a bit of the Land Speeder syndrome, where the bits don't quite match and you get, in search of a better word, holes. Nothing that can't be easily fixed with a bit of green stuff, but annoying nonetheless.

One question; how hard does it look to paint the cockpit details now you've assembled it?

I can answer this. It looks pretty easy. I haven't glued the crew's torsoes on yet, but I don't suppose that will change too much.

shasojason
14-04-2006, 21:46
It dosen't look like it has the small fins on the bottom like the FW Piranha, can you confirm that?

It does, they are modeled right onto the engine pods, I just didn't get a shot of the underside of the model, although you can see them in the picture of the sprues.

brother_fandango
14-04-2006, 22:48
im really tempted to make a pirahana into a space marine hot rod and count it as either a land speeder or an attack bike.