PDA

View Full Version : Skaven Artillery Tactics.

dementian
11-10-2011, 02:42
Hey Everyone,

I am a very new player and only have a Skaven Army right now. In my first battle using my WLC I had a serious issue hitting the targets I wanted to. So I was wondering if anyone has some tips to help hit the targets you want.

How far back from what you want to hit should you plan your first shot to allow for the bounce/template to hit. I know it is still random but if anyone has tips based on statistics and expected dice results that would be very much appreciated.

Also any other tips for things like Warpflame Thrower, plague catapult, wind mortars etc.

Thanks in advance,
dementian, Clan Pestis

Surgency
11-10-2011, 02:46
I usually shoot WLC about 5-7 inches off the target I'm aiming for, depending on how deep it is. If its a very deep unit (6+ ranks), then I'll put the within 4 inches for a good bounce, but if its shallow (2-3 ranks) I'll go for about 6 inches away.

Tarian
11-10-2011, 03:01
I usually aim ~8 in. from the front of the unit and rely on bounce and overshot to hit things for me. Works well for me usually.

dementian
11-10-2011, 03:18
Unfortunately I haven't come against any large blocks yet. Since I have only been fighting at 750 point battles.

Say I had a group of Slaves holding up a group of 5 Chaos Knights, with my WLC behind the Slaves. Can I set my initial point inside my block of slaves or do I need to start at the back of it? Basically, does a WLC have LoS over them? Over other infantry groups?

russellmoo
11-10-2011, 04:07
With a normal cannon you want to start less than 8" from the center of the target, with a skaven cannon you move it a little farther back, since you want to ensure that the str 10, 8 and 6 land, and you don't care if you miss with a str 2 or 4, but if you overshoot you will be missing out on str 10-

Plus with a regular cannon you want the cannon ball to bounce through, with the skaven cannon your ideal shot stops half way through the unit

As far as tactics go- place the cannon on a flank, and have a unit of slaves turn slightly so that if a horde charges into the slaves they expose their flank to the cannon shot and being between 8-10" wide it will be very difficult for your cannon to miss.

dementian
11-10-2011, 04:21
Thanks Russellmoo,

Really good tips there and I will definitely try to make use of that flank shot.

lovedinplaster
12-10-2011, 03:33
I shoot 10" short of single units and 10-12 inches short on large units.. I read this somewhere on this forum.. After I started aiming ten short on every shot.. I almost never miss.