PDA

View Full Version : Resolving this charge?

SteelTitan
13-10-2011, 16:18
See:

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/7936/img2589wn.jpg

So, my spearmen charged the slaves, but couldn't close the door without touching the tower (which isn't very clear on the picture but we accidently moved the tower)

What would happen here?

1. Would it be a failed charge?
2. Would the slaves close the door?

One possibility would be to have wheeled the spearmen more at their starting position. This way, they would have ended up more to their left (from their own perspective), giving more room in the back to wheel passed the tower.

But it that wasn't the case, I'm just wondering if you make it a failed charge or you let the enemy close the door.

Thanks! :)

Mid'ean
13-10-2011, 16:43
The enemy would close the door. Pg 22, unusual situations.

sssk
13-10-2011, 16:44
If the swordsmen can make contact but can't close the door, the slaves will close the door. If the slaves can't close the door (eg if they were blocked by a tower too) then I have no idea what would happen.

jaxom
13-10-2011, 17:02
The charging unit closes the door. If that is not possible then the target unit closes the door or some combination of closing occurs on both parts per pg. 22 (how much you wheel units seems to be a bit open to interpretation if you belive in jiggering both units to match). If no closing of the door is possible the charge fails; period.

SteelTitan
13-10-2011, 19:07
Thanks guys! Thats clear!

Hypothetically: What if the slaves were already engaged on some other side with another unit of mine? Do you move the entire combat to close the door?

Capt._Jaelinek
14-10-2011, 00:58
Don't have the rule book handy but pretty sure you can't make a combat close the door. I would say that situation is a failed charge.

Walgis
14-10-2011, 04:46
if you cant normaly close door, than your alowed to go within 1" of enemy, buildings, impasible etc terrain, if then not posible. enemy closes the door normaly, if thats not posibble the enemy can get within1" of those things. if then not posible. dunno what happens because didint found it on book. would say failed charge because you touched them and thats sucesfull charge. would be dum if the charge failed.

T10
14-10-2011, 08:11
if you cant normaly close door, than your alowed to go within 1" of enemy, buildings, impasible etc terrain, if then not posible. enemy closes the door normaly, if thats not posibble the enemy can get within1" of those things. if then not posible. dunno what happens because didint found it on book. would say failed charge because you touched them and thats sucesfull charge. would be dum if the charge failed.

Huh?

This issue isn't all that different from a situation where the charge move is sufficient to achieve contact, but other constraints make it impossible to complete the charge.

Well, when I say "other situations", the only one I can think of is when a unit charges into the target unit's front (because it starts in the front arc), only to find that it's path is blocked by another unit or terrain. Even though the chargers have a path to the target's flank the charge fails due to the constraint that it must make contact with front.

In most circumstances, this is pretty clear when the charges are declared (remember: one cannot declare an impossible charge), but circumstances change: A legal charge may become illegal. These are treated as failed charges.

-T10

SteelTitan
14-10-2011, 08:50
Thanks T10 for your contribution!

So in summary:

1. In the picture, the enemy closes the door

2. Had the enemy (slaves) been in combat already, you wouldn't let the enemy close the door (and by doing so move the entire combat) but called the spearmen charge a failed charge as they cannot themselves close the door.

Is this correct?

RanaldLoec
14-10-2011, 08:56
If the slaves where engaged you could complete the charge by reducing the number of models on the front rank.

I know that the wheel can't be used to reduce the number of models in contact but in this case its making the charge legal by allowing the state troops to successfully close the door with out contacting the tower.

This would result in only 2 or 3 in contact but its better than a failed charge.

Mercules
14-10-2011, 12:42
If the slaves where engaged you could complete the charge by reducing the number of models on the front rank.

I know that the wheel can't be used to reduce the number of models in contact but in this case its making the charge legal by allowing the state troops to successfully close the door with out contacting the tower.

This would result in only 2 or 3 in contact but its better than a failed charge.

You can not do this. If the charging unit and the charged unit can not close the door in the formations they are currently in, it fails. You can not execute a formation change on a charge.

SteelTitan
14-10-2011, 14:16
I don't think that is what he meant. He probably meant that by increasing or decreasing the amount you wheel before you make contact, results in a reduced number of models in combat with the enemy.

Mercules
14-10-2011, 17:44
I don't think that is what he meant. He probably meant that by increasing or decreasing the amount you wheel before you make contact, results in a reduced number of models in combat with the enemy.

Ah... yes, that might work.

RanaldLoec
14-10-2011, 19:42

Bingo, exactly what I meant.