PDA

View Full Version : Need army to be competitive to sell

mdiscala
17-10-2011, 20:10
Hey guys, I'm thinking pretty seriously about selling my WoC army. I've collected it with out being too worried about playability, but I want to finish up the collection so it will be competitive enough to sell.

Currently I have it modeled like so:

-5 Marauder Horsemen, with handweapons
-5 Marauder Horsemen, with flails and spears
-a 5x6 block of marauders on foot with hand weapons and shields, including a spot for a palanquin of nurgle battle standard bearer
-10 warhounds
-2 chaos spawn
-6x3 Warriors with Handweapons and shields
-6x3 warriors with halberds and shields
-a shaggoth
-a demon prince
-a wizard on foot with familiar
-a wizard on disc of tzeentch
-5 knights with magic weapons
-a juggernought guy
-a giant
-a seeker of slaanesh guy
-12 forsaken

I need to know what else I need to buy and model to make this a competitive list and increase my chances of getting a good price. I'm not really looking to change what I modeled so far, but might consider changing the weapons on the warriors and horsemen if its going to help.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

bildo
17-10-2011, 20:23
the warriors and knights are fine. there isnt anything you can add to make it worth more, just sell it as is

russellmoo
17-10-2011, 20:30
not much to add-

I think the unit sizes might be a little small-

a competitive list would probably have
40 marauders
and 2 blocks of 24 warriors

and a warshrine and hellcannon

mdiscala
17-10-2011, 21:15
@Bildo: I'm willing to put some more work into it as I'm not in too big of a rush to sell it and want to get as much as I can for it

@russelmoo: So a vote for more marauders and Warriors and a warshrine and Hellcannon would that be 5x8 marauders? 6x4 warriors? I want to do custom movement trays as well.

russellmoo
17-10-2011, 21:51
10x4 for the marauders- they are an excellent horde unit- or make the tray a 10 x 5- this way it will be useable for when they are ranked deep, or in horde formation

colonel kane trine
17-10-2011, 21:58
Convert a hellcannon and shrine and add a battleforce maybe? Use it to add 6 warriors to each warrior unit,bump up the marauders and either make a unit of 10 knights or 2 5 strong units.
Are the models painted and if so are the unitsgod specific?

If I had the cash id snap this lot up!

mdiscala
17-10-2011, 22:31
so a bunch more marauders and more knights. Do you have to be 10 wide to be in horde formation? I should set them up like that? They are painted in undivided colors so you can choose what mark to give them each time.

colonel kane trine
17-10-2011, 22:54
Yep hordes are 10 wide or 6 wide if monstrous infantry like ogres

STEALTHDUDE
18-10-2011, 05:34
I don't personally think that adding anything to the models you currently own in order to sell them at a higher price is a good idea. Certainly judging by the amount armies sell for on ebay you would be extremely lucky to break even.

Just had a little look to see what armies sell for and this Bretonnain army is the perfect example.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/bretonnian-army-/300609962513?pt=UK_Toys_Wargames_RL&hash=item45fdc00211#ht_562wt_1270

Just toting up the prices it comes to roughly 280 but is selling for a probably maximum of 220. Clearly this is not going to be a profitable venture for you so why lose more than you already will by selling it?

I think you would be much better off selling you WOC army as is, and spending the same money on your next fantasy army instead.

STEALTHDUDE

Lord Solar Plexus
18-10-2011, 07:28
You will make more money when you sell the army in smaller elements IMO instead of in bulk. As others have pointed out, retail prices are always higher than what you get on ebay, so buying anything to pad the units means you're losing money.

mdiscala
18-10-2011, 12:01
I mean its a really well painted converted army. I want to get like a grand for it, or not sell it at all. So I was willing to put some more effort into it.

sssk
18-10-2011, 12:10
This is screaming out for the age old call of "show us some pictures!". Everyone likes to see a nice army.

mdiscala
18-10-2011, 12:45
pics in my signature

STEALTHDUDE
18-10-2011, 15:03
mdiscala, I really love your army; your blog is inspirational and wish you all the luck in the world selling your army. Though I still think you would be better off selling your Chaos army as it stands and then investing your money into doing another army..... then make another cool plog so we call all have a look

STEALTHDUDE

Malorian
18-10-2011, 18:36
Never invest money into buying more models for an army you want to sell.

Every person has their own view on a good army and you'll never increase it enough to get your money back.

Key things you can do is strip or prime armies if painting isn't up to snuff, and finish painting if your painting is good but not done.

Just know that more people look for unpainted armied than painted armies.

mdiscala
18-10-2011, 19:02
Thanks Stealthdude. Yeah Malorian, I'm hoping my paint jobs will get me the money I want for it. Maybe I'll just finish what I have then.

Bass
25-10-2011, 23:06
I agree, most people dont just buy an army because it has X unit with it, just finish up what you have and with all the diversity you probobly could get 60-80% retail from the right customer

ArtificerArmour
26-10-2011, 07:28
A hellcannon would help it though. Or perhaps a few special limited edition models like games day releases or oop