PDA

View Full Version : Stargrunt II

Galadrin
03-06-2005, 10:18
I was wondering if anyway has ever got a chance to play the little known Sci-Fi skirmish/tactical game Stargrunt or Stargrunt II? It's put out by Ground Zero Games (a literally one man operation) and has been around for a long, long time. I'm only asking, because if you guys think it is any good, I'll probably pick up the rulebook. That, and the Israeli figures look like Master Chief from Halo! :O

Witchsmeller
03-06-2005, 14:39
I've never played Stargrunt, but I have played Dirtside (epic/micro armor in the same universe) and it was pretty good.

Griefbringer
03-06-2005, 15:52
I have Stargrunt II book, and the rules feel pretty good - though unfortunately I still haven't managed to have a game of it played (there are several people around who are interested, but it has been rather busy with other games).

Just be forewarned that there are no ready army lists of the sort seen in many games, though you get some sample platoon/company structures and some sample ideas for scenarios. But basically you will need to write a new scenario for every game and try to pick some sensible feeling and relatively balanced forces for that.

Morgan Keyes
05-06-2005, 19:04
Played it many years ago back at GenCon in '95 or '96. Wish I'd had more time to really get into it. Thinking about dusting off my old rules, along with Dirtside, Full Thrust, and Legions of Steel/Planetstorm.

Galadrin
08-06-2005, 21:36
Can someone who has the rules or who has played the game quickly explain to me what sensors/ecm do in the game? I noticed that was a rating among troops (usually something like d8) and was curious about what sort of role that played in the game.

Griefbringer
09-06-2005, 09:23
Sensor rating is used to spot hidden enemy units, booby traps etc. ECM (electronic countermeasures) is what vehicles use to protect themselves from guided missiles.

Brother Othorio
14-06-2005, 00:00
i've played a few games of it, tho not in a while (then again i havent played anything in a while really!) ~ in short i have to say its a good game, so long as your looking for a game where soldiers dive for cover when being shot at, and stay their until the firing stops.. (and usually stay their till the sarge threatens/cajoles/blackmails them into moving..) rather than pulling out chainswords and running towards the enemy.. (oh and it helps if your good at division)