PDA

View Full Version : All mounted WoC......crazy??????

lisaundead
18-10-2011, 21:37
Hi all,

Been thinking about an all mounted / cavalry WoC army.....waste of time, doable, pointless or fun?

Thinking of:

Level 4 disc mounted sorcerer lord
Level 2 disc mounted chaos sorcerer
Marauder horsemen
Chaos knights
Chaos chariots

Possible at 2000 points or am I barking up wrong tree? :confused:

pointyteeth
18-10-2011, 21:38
Looks like great fun to me :D

Kharn_21
18-10-2011, 21:42
Sounds crazy fun, it will probably have some troupe with hordes unless/ubtill you can break up any formations to deal with piecemeal. You just have to take full advantage of your mobility. You're using discs so tzeentch sorcerers, I would think of switching one to shadow or anything with a movement debuff to give you a bit more breathing room if you think you need it

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

Beastlord
18-10-2011, 21:42
Sounds great! Go for it!

sssk
18-10-2011, 21:46
Obviously there's the usual "ooh, you'll struggle against steadfast blah blah etc etc".

Now onto the real world. If you can get a few combined charges off (I'm particularly thinking knights here), you can be chucking out so many attacks that A) you'll win some combats, and B) the enemy shouldn't be steadfast for too long.

Personally I used to play age of empires 2 (with whatever expansion(s) were about) and whenever I was playing as the huns (who had some cavalry blokes with flaming torches) I always though "fully mounted chaos raiding force would be awesome".

Indeed I think the mounted marauders are some of my favorite models at the moment.

Whether or not the plan will actually work to win you games, I'm not sure, but if you get a nice raiding theme type thing there'll be some nice imagery of the barbarian hordes thundering across the plains to burn some silly little men/elves/dwarves/orcs/anything really.

EDIT: wow there! How about a 40 man marauder horseman unit with all sorts of dioramas and stuff going on in it, that would be awesome!... maybe I should be quiet

lisaundead
18-10-2011, 21:46
Sounds crazy fun, it will probably have some troupe with hordes unless/ubtill you can break up any formations to deal with piecemeal. You just have to take full advantage of your mobility. You're using discs so tzeentch sorcerers, I would think of switching one to shadow or anything with a movement debuff to give you a bit more breathing room if you think you need it

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

Thanks...not really looking for a truly competitive army, just something a little different from the usual WoC list.
Will write a provisional list and see how it goes

lisaundead
18-10-2011, 21:53
OMG Sssk.........I have to do that!!!
You just cost me a heck of a lot of rubles!!!! :eek:

thesheriff
18-10-2011, 22:13
I wouldn't go too reliant on tzeentch. Get some death/nurgle sorcerers for character sniping.

Looks cool though.

thesheriff

lisaundead
18-10-2011, 22:18
I wouldn't go too reliant on tzeentch. Get some death/nurgle sorcerers for character sniping.

Looks cool though.

thesheriff

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.......nerrrrgle :eyebrows:

ashc
18-10-2011, 22:28
Combined charges = good gravy in most cases with an army like this.

Its funny how this was pretty much the build to run in 7th, and now its considered fun and tougher to play! :)

lisaundead
18-10-2011, 22:29
As far as the knights are concerned.......smaller units or large buses??

GenerationTerrorist
18-10-2011, 22:34
This was essentially my army 3000pt army in 7th Edition. All Tzeentch, of course :-P
- Lvl4 on Disc, Lvl2 on Disc, BSB in block of 11 Knights with Blasted Standard, 2 units of 7 Knights, 4 units of 10 Horsemen (unmarked), lots of Dogs! Nostaligia :-)

It worked suprisingly well in 8th Edition too, but I decided to buy more Warriors rather than keep having to up my Marauder Horsemen to keep pace as my army grew! I still run it in lower point games, as it makes a change from being called evil for having 2 Hellcannons, a Warshrine and a block of Chosen. I won't lie and say it is easy, but WoC/Brets are probably the only armies that can still do Cavalry lists with reasonable joy.

I am sure it will work fine for you. You have enough hitting power in the Knights that can mangle many things in combat. The key, as always with a cavalry list, will be combined charges.

I also can't stress enough how important some throwaway units of Warhounds will be in an army like this.

(edit) Another idea might be to try an Exalted on Disc with Shield, Halberd, Dragon Helm, Golden Eye of Tzeentch for Warmachine/Skimisher hunting. 1+/3++ Saves against shooting should mean he arrives to do his job. Dishing out 4 S6 Attacks in combat aint too shabby, either :-)

The bearded one
18-10-2011, 22:39
WoC cavalry can be very competitive, as they have the hitting power to beat steadfast in the face, rip it's heart out and stomp on the leftovers. Frenzied chaos knights and marauder horsemen have such raw killingpower it shouldn't be that much trouble to get through units. A charge of chaos knights backed up by 1-2 units of 5 or so marauder horsemen with flails should devastate a unit.

lisaundead
18-10-2011, 22:40
Thanks Generation.....wow, that's a lot of points lol.....horse dudes are expensive but may have to give it a try just for fun.

Deffo have to have lots of doggies!!!!

Malorian
18-10-2011, 22:42
Crazy like a fox!

lisaundead
18-10-2011, 22:44
Seems like there is a lot of love out there for the horsey dudes....sheesh, I'm going to have to give it a try now, aren't I?

And, Malorian...that fox is gonna get it!!!!

IcedCrow
19-10-2011, 01:16
Yeah. That's a straight up 7th ed chaos army :D

dimetri1
19-10-2011, 02:30
I went up against this many times in 7th. 8th edition killed this build.

Urgat
19-10-2011, 06:24

No, it didn't.

Korv
19-10-2011, 06:51
Obviously there's the usual "ooh, you'll struggle against steadfast blah blah etc etc".

Now onto the real world. If you can get a few combined charges off (I'm particularly thinking knights here), you can be chucking out so many attacks that A) you'll win some combats, and B) the enemy shouldn't be steadfast for too long.

Personally I used to play age of empires 2 (with whatever expansion(s) were about) and whenever I was playing as the huns (who had some cavalry blokes with flaming torches) I always though "fully mounted chaos raiding force would be awesome".

Indeed I think the mounted marauders are some of my favorite models at the moment.

Whether or not the plan will actually work to win you games, I'm not sure, but if you get a nice raiding theme type thing there'll be some nice imagery of the barbarian hordes thundering across the plains to burn some silly little men/elves/dwarves/orcs/anything really.

EDIT: wow there! How about a 40 man marauder horseman unit with all sorts of dioramas and stuff going on in it, that would be awesome!... maybe I should be quiet

Best way to play mongols is with dark elves dark riders though.
I built an 2500 pt mongol army with 90 dark riders, all with x-bows. Strangely enough, noone of my friends want to play me anymore:(

//K

lisaundead
19-10-2011, 08:47
I built an 2500 pt mongol army with 90 dark riders, all with x-bows. Strangely enough, noone of my friends want to play me anymore:(

//K

Ive got a strong aversion to playing elves of any pursuasion (must be my years playing stunties), but I think I will definitely give the all cavalry WoC army a try.

it may well be a thing of the past (7Ed) but Im fortunate that my gaming circle are not overtly competitive gamers, enjoying, instead, more fun and themed games, so I dont think it will be too much of a disadvantage.

Now, the $64,000 question is...can I squeeze everything I want, in to 2 - 2.5K?????

:confused:

laribold
19-10-2011, 08:53
Don't forget Dragon Ogres and Shaggoths! In my eyes they easily fit in with an all cavalry army - essentially being centaurs.

And if you feel you need something to break steadfast ranks - 30 warhounds are less than 200pts and easily fast enough to get into flanks too!

Urgat
19-10-2011, 09:17

//K

Lol, I did offer a similar list (but with wold riders) to my Chaos Warriors pal (with little to no ranged weapons in his army. There might be throwing axes on his mounted marauders from times to times). Oddly enough, he said "sure, go ahead, do it, but I won't play it". Those people, really, no fun :angel:

lisaundead
19-10-2011, 09:23
It really winds me up when people say "they wont play" a particular themed list. I would rather play an army that someone has put a bit of thought and effort in to rather than the cookie cutter or :cheese: tourny lists...grrrrr!

Urgat
19-10-2011, 09:43
Jokes aside, I can understand (yes, seriously :p). My wolves took all the luck of my spearchukkas, they consistently kill absurd stuff with their bows (best kill being a chaos lord in one turn, once, who thought himself invincible with all his saves and ward saves and only five wolves nearby, so he took a trek to change units. Mwahahaha.), and they're pretty much impossible to catch. He would be stuck to just running around after ghosts and hope for good magic or failed animosity tests to do anything.

Daedalus81
19-10-2011, 18:16
Build a lord to assassinate thier BSB and/or caster.

Steed
Word of Agony
Other Trickster's Shard
Sword of Swift Slaying
+whatever else you want

Stick him in a unit of knights and bee-line for their bunker. D6 S4 w/ no armor saves plus forcing ward re-rolls is usually good enough to put a wound or two on -- if you're lucky take him out right there. If he does accept the challenge after then the ASF with rerolls should finish the job. If he goes to hide then finish the job with a death snipe.

Once the BSB is down you've gained a decent advantage to break those steadfast blocks.

popisdead
19-10-2011, 21:25
Often themed armies can be made to work, especially with good critical analysis. You could also consider Khorne chariots, Steeds of Slaanesh (my favs) and Juggernaughts.

dimetri1
21-10-2011, 00:15
No, it didn't.

I have not seen anyone play with that build since 8th came out.

Don Zeko
21-10-2011, 06:40
I think you want to avoid the Mark of Khorne, sadly. Frenzy means being immune to psychology, and I think this army really needs to be able to flee from unfavorable charges to work best. I also think you're going to want unmarked sorcerers with Death. Sniping the enemy BSB or using the leadership debuff will mean that you can still party like it's 7th edition and break big enemy blocks on the charge. But yes, this is totally doable and should make for some very fun, tactical games.

Urgat
21-10-2011, 07:11
I have not seen anyone play with that build since 8th came out.

And I have. What's your point?

lisaundead
21-10-2011, 08:16
Well, Im definitely up for this challenge / project (along with creating a Zombie Pirate army!!!!!), so Im going to spend a bit of time this weekend (partner's away) writing lists and having a look at what models I have already.

Probably going to have to run to 3000 points to squeeze in everything I want :)

With regards to Death sorcerors....is it adviseable to have them mounted and stuck in with some knights? had originally planned on Disc mounted sorcerors.

Got some ideas running around in my tiny, empty skull about how this army should look...hmmmmmmm, watch this space, perhaps a plog is coming ;)

Zoolander
21-10-2011, 11:19
No, it didn't.

Yeah, speaking competitively, it pretty much did. But it is a fun list to play, I've done it twice in 8th. It's not the most effective list out there, though.

Urgat
21-10-2011, 11:25
Of course. There's only one most effective list per book: it is... rumble: the most effective build of that book! I've seen a guy win a few 8th ed games with all mounted WoC army, because those knights win combats, steadfast or not, and after a while, steadfast is gone, and so is the unit shortly after. Was 2500pts games I believe as there was quite a few of those knights. Chaos knights have the chance top smash stuff on the charge, then keep on smashing stuff after the charge as well. The only thing I've seen them fear is my trolls (I've never played that guy thou, shame. I got plenty of trolls).

Rosstifer
21-10-2011, 13:51
(I've never played that guy thou, shame. I got plenty of trolls).

My knights dislike Trolls. So. OP, if you are going to face Trolls, taking some knights with Lances, Frenzy and the Flaming Banner. Hit on 3's, wound on 2's, no Regen. Tasty. Just hope they don't get to Vomit back.

TheOneHawk
21-10-2011, 14:01
Why the hell would you take lances on Chaos knights? Extra five points per model to make them worse? No thanks. With enscorelled weapons they're hitting on 3, wounding on 3, and if the trolls don't break/die from that (unlikely) then they're doing the same the next round, instead of wounding on fours now. Plus, knights are pricey, why would you have a unit of them that's basically just for one shotting trolls slightly more effectively than normal?

Rosstifer
21-10-2011, 14:14
Why the hell would you take lances on Chaos knights? Extra five points per model to make them worse? No thanks. With enscorelled weapons they're hitting on 3, wounding on 3, and if the trolls don't break/die from that (unlikely) then they're doing the same the next round, instead of wounding on fours now. Plus, knights are pricey, why would you have a unit of them that's basically just for one shotting trolls slightly more effectively than normal?

If you want Flaming Attacks? Good for Aboms, Various Vampire things, Hydras etc... You wouldn't take them in an optimized tourney list, but if you knew your opponent was bringing a Hellpit Abomination, you'd consider chucking them in there to stop it smashing your army.

Urgat
21-10-2011, 14:32

They ain't hitting on 3 because mine are river trolls. And they're not doing the same next round because half of them are dead (autohit, S5, no save. Ah!) and the other half probably already running. Been there, done that. 8 river trolls are fun. And cheaper too, now :p

THELOSTCITY
21-10-2011, 14:48
I always quite liked that idea with lizardmem.

- scar vet : carno
- Skink priest : alter Steg

-Saurus cav
-Teradons
-stegs

Rosstifer
21-10-2011, 14:50
They ain't hitting on 3 because mine are river trolls. And they're not doing the same next round because half of them are dead (autohit, S5, no save. Ah!) and the other half probably already running. Been there, done that. 8 river trolls are fun. And cheaper too, now :p

In that case 40 Tzeentch Chosen. Or Gateway. Because that's all the WOC players on the internet know how to use, apparently :angel:

sulla
22-10-2011, 04:39
Hellcannons have wheels too... just model the handlers riding it since they aren't required to fire the thing. :evilgrin::evilgrin::evilgrin:

lisaundead
09-11-2011, 09:51
When looking at the crazee idea of a cavalry WoC list, what load outs would you recommend for the marauder horsemen?

-Marks?
-Size of units?
-Weapons?

Is many smaller units with MoS and throwing axes the way to go?

Im fairly happy with the Lords, heroes and Knights, oh and the dogs of course, but the marauders, not so happy with at the mo.

Many thanks

GenerationTerrorist
09-11-2011, 22:02
Hmmm. With the changes to Fear, Panic and Terror in 8th Edition, then MoS is generally no longer the most optimal Mark on Horsemen.

Khorne with Flails would be probably the most effective choice. Maybe take just a Standard Bearer if you feel the need. Though these guys would be more of a hitty unit than a user of traditional bait/flee tactic employed by most Fast Cavalry units.

Nurgle may also be a decent choice, but the Mark is very expensive for what benefits it would bring to a unit that size.

Of course, there is no obligation to take a Mark at all ;-)

Ideal setup for me would be 7 Horsemen with Flails, Light Armour and a Standard.

I'm unsold on the use and effectiveness of the Throwing Weapon options, but others may disagree.

Hali
10-11-2011, 00:34
5-6 flails, Mok, no command. Use four to six of these units. Vanguard at least one up each flank and one in the middle.

If you go first run through the gaps and set up where you can't be charged but can threaten charging support units, warmachines, characters or a soft(nothing too elite) flank/rear. Advance your knights into position to charge next turn and your opponent has threats on all sides, chances are he can't cover all his weak spots from all directions and you'll get a couple favorable charges on turn two.

If your opponent goes first chances are a couple of your units will get charged, against most armies this is exactly what you want. With a little practise and experience you'll learn exactly how to position your vanguards so that if they complete the charge you will hammer the unit with your knights. This also tends to disrupt thier battle line if a unit or two fails a charge or overruns too far which can be a big advantage, you want to hit flanks as often as possible which is very difficult when several blocks are advancing together. Splitting the battle line and exposing flanks is well worth the couple hundred points you lose in bait units. This set up also hits exactly the same charge or be charged which can be nasty sometimes. I have had units of empire, elves and goblins charge out of BSB range expecting an easy kill, whiff thier 10-15 attacks while taking 24 in return and end up getting cutdown before my first turn even begins.

Maskedman5oh4
10-11-2011, 04:22
You can also make the marauders into a type of medium cav with LA/Shield/Spears.

theshoveller
10-11-2011, 07:26
You can also make the marauders into a type of medium cav with LA/Shield/Spears.
If I was going to give Marauders MoK, these would be the guys with it.

Giving it to my actual light cavalry would hamper their tactical options - it's harder for me to choose my charges and (I believe) I lose the ability to False Flight.

cabowers
10-11-2011, 11:39
I am currently building up a 6 part Chaos army (1 per god, an undivided and a monster horde) and have themed my Khorne army around being all mounted. The army clocks in at just over 3000 pts and includes the following:

Valkia

Exalted on Juggy with magic items
BSB on Juggy with magic items

2 x 10 Marauder Horsemen with flails, LA, FC, MoK
2 X 15 Marauder Horsemen with Spears, LA, Shields, FC, MoK
4 x 5 Warhounds

2 x 8 Chaos Knights, FC, MoK Various standard

Warshrine

Works ok in my local area but really looking forward to using it in some big games with the other parts of my army.

lisaundead
10-11-2011, 13:14
Thanks for all the advice.

I think I will try a couple of smaller units to vanguard and bait, plus a couple of units with LA/Shield for a bit mor punch and see how they go.

many thanks

lisaundead
10-11-2011, 13:35
Thanks for all the advice.

I think I will try a couple of smaller units to vanguard and bait, plus a couple of units with LA/Shield for a bit mor punch and see how they go.

many thanks

Daniel36
10-11-2011, 13:44
Crazy? Yes indeed. Good crazy? Very much so. Go for it, and show us pics.

lisaundead
11-03-2012, 20:42
Well, I think this crazy idea is finally gonna happen, against........Ogres!!

-Totenkopf-
11-03-2012, 20:53
My buddy runs a mounted WoC mark of khorne list.. It's gross.. Too fast to effectively deal with..

lovedinplaster
12-03-2012, 06:51
My friend played an army like this. He based it off of the four horsemen of the Apocolypse. He didn't fun any magic users.. But almost every unit had some type of wardsave / magic ward save.

SanDiegoSurrealist
12-03-2012, 19:27

Played similar build to one suggested here yesterday. He had 3 chariots of Khorne and 2 guys on disks, list was super tough! 2 Chariots and BSB on Disk alone almost took out horde of 40+ Daemonettes with a Herald, had to have KoS step in and save the day.

lisaundead
12-03-2012, 22:22
Played similar build to one suggested here yesterday. He had 3 chariots of Khorne and 2 guys on disks, list was super tough! 2 Chariots and BSB on Disk alone almost took out horde of 40+ Daemonettes with a Herald, had to have KoS step in and save the day.

Would love to field some chariots but cant squeeze them in to 2000 pts, perhaps when increase points to 2.5 - 3K.
Should deffo be a fun game to play :)

Spider
12-03-2012, 22:51
My friend played an army like this. He based it off of the four horsemen of the Apocolypse. He didn't fun any magic users.. But almost every unit had some type of wardsave / magic ward save.

Oooh.

That sounds pretty cool. War and pestilence would be fairly easy within Warhammer, but how would Famine and Death be done (other than using nurgle and khorne again).

But...

But...

Just one Death, perhaps riding a Jugger (for cool factor)...a ragged cloaked sythe wielding dude...

And then Khorne and Nurgle knights...

Ooh.

Sorry, I was having a moment there.

Havock
14-03-2012, 15:48
No, it didn't.

Depending on your meta, it did :)