PDA

View Full Version : Casting In Combat

Steed
19-10-2011, 16:22
Can someone reference me the brb page this is addressed in? Was specifically looking to see if Infernal Gateway can still be cast if the wizzy is in combat.

I know there are specific spells that have the "can be cast into combat" but was wondering can the caster keep tossing spells if he is engaged and if so, what type of spells?

Lord Inquisitor
19-10-2011, 16:26
The section of the rulebook on spell types tells you whether a spell can be cast from or into combat.

Steed
19-10-2011, 17:42
Any idea on what type Infernal Gateway would be considered?

Lord Inquisitor
19-10-2011, 17:52
It ought to be a direct damage spell, clearly. It's not a magic missile but it does damage. However, it isn't listed as such in the spell description, because it's a 7th ed book. If your group is okay with assigning spell types as a house rule, it makes a lot of sense.

Technically speaking then, it is a spell without a type. Therefore you should obey the "basic" spell restrictions. Forward arc, no LOS, in range, not in combat.

popisdead
19-10-2011, 20:29
Any idea on what type Infernal Gateway would be considered?

7th ed spell. It doesn't have a type so it follows the overlying catch-all rules. I am wary you are trying to apply a type to be able to cast it in combat?

Lord Inquisitor
19-10-2011, 21:09
I think the OP wants to cast it out of combat, which is legal as long as the target isn't in combat, as it was in 7th.

Steed
20-10-2011, 00:26
Ya we had a situation where the caster was locked in a challenge in hopes of keeping that god awful spell from being cast but it seems it can be cast on another unit, even if caster is engaged.

Thanks for the clarification guys

Zoolander
20-10-2011, 21:18
This question comes up every couple of months or weeks. IMO, you cannot force 8th edition spell rules onto 7th edition spells. There are too many issues to be resolved and it changes the way the spells were originally intended to work. The ONLY way to fairly deal with 7th edition spells is use them the way they worked in 7th. I know this goes against the grain of rational thought, but after having tried a few times, our group of older, rather intelligent guys decided it was just too messy and unfair to do it otherwise. Some spells will work fine in the transition, but other spells such as Black Horror and some Ruin spells simply do not.

Therefore you should obey the "basic" spell restrictions. Forward arc, no LOS, in range, not in combat.

I think that's fair most of the time.

Grey Seer
20-10-2011, 22:28
Zoolander page 31 of the BRB agrees with you: "Some unique spells, or spells that are printed in older Warhammer Armies books, do not have a type - their text will contain any casting restrictions that apply."

[I hope I have finally quoted this in a proper place]

Zoolander
21-10-2011, 10:23
Zoolander page 31 of the BRB agrees with you: "Some unique spells, or spells that are printed in older Warhammer Armies books, do not have a type - their text will contain any casting restrictions that apply."

[I hope I have finally quoted this in a proper place]

Thanks Grey Seer!