PDA

View Full Version : Help please 500 pts Tomb Kings

Riverwulf
20-10-2011, 17:10
Ok, I've never played warhammer before but always wanted to. My local game store is giving 40% off on all the GW products for a couple weeks in order to start a new league. They will start with 500 points. So, I picked up a box of warriors and chariots to get me started. Next week or so I plan on buying a battalion and anything else I might need. I would like to build an army that takes advantage of all the cool magic the new tk book offers. I want to crush my opposition.

First off, how should I build my warriors? Sword and board, spear and board, just spear, or bowmen? Secondly, does it matter how I outfit my charioteers? Do they need have bows in order to use bows? Or should they just hold spears? I want my models to represent what they actually are. And lastly, can anyone give my some advice on a strong 500 point list? There's so many cool units and I have no idea what is a good base. Thank you for any responses.

-Totenkopf-
25-10-2011, 00:49
My 500pt list ran a train at our local escalation campaign.
10 skelly archers
1 warsphinx
lvl 1 lich
3 chariots

Chariots have bows, spears and hand weapons. No choice.

I don't have any skellies or tomb guard in my 2500 pt list and it is quite competitive. In fact, I just put my TG on my chariots. They look way cooler..

zielonkak
25-10-2011, 00:58
whats your 25oo point list ?

mistrmoon
25-10-2011, 20:38
a sphinx at 500 points seems pretty harsh, I'm in the middle of an escalation league as well and i think we would likely shame anyone who showed up with a big gribbly at that points value.

RandomSpecific
26-10-2011, 04:54
a sphinx at 500 points seems pretty harsh, I'm in the middle of an escalation league as well and i think we would likely shame anyone who showed up with a big gribbly at that points value.

depends if your playing warhammer or local-gaming-hammer. its perfectly legal for him to take it. sure its harsh but thats no bad thing.

the idea of shaming someone over an army selection seems a bit OTT.

*edit* no malice intended with this, its just something i see crop up alot and wanted to confront it.

mistrmoon
28-10-2011, 00:28
Your absolutely right it is legal, and at a tournament i wouldn't have anything to say about it but for an escalation campaign (implying a lot of new players generally) it is going to ruin a lot of peoples days. I see a lot of:

-orc hero with mundane gear and maybe a sword of might
-20 orc boys
-20 goblins
-5 boar boys

sort of lists, nothing in there has a hope against a terror causing 5 wound t8 monster who thunderstomps.

-Totenkopf-
31-10-2011, 02:31
In all fairness, he did say that he wanted to "crush" his opponents. But on that note, the escalation league was full of cheese. I have been out of the game since 5th edition and my two buddies just started. They ran with typical first timer lists and got mercilessly slaughtered by lists like - swordmasters, archers and a mage - thunderers, cannons and bolt throwers - chaos warriors, knights and maurader knights with mark of khorne and a fvck-off exalted hero... It was pretty bad for the most part..

Considering that Tomb Kings are considered "weak" at lower points levels, I figured I would offset that.

On a side note, is it just me or are today's younger players helpless cheaters? I don't want to make blanket comments but in all the games I got help my buddies out, I saw a lot of "Ya, so my lord has this 50pt item" and the next round he has a different 50pt magic item. I have seen a lot of this lately and I don't remember seeing this when I first started out.