PDA

View Full Version : 60 Orc Arrers what to do?

JingoJackson
20-10-2011, 21:36
Hi All,

I've acquired another 36 Orc Arrers, I've now got 60 of them. I know Orc's aren't that good are archery, but with 60 of them it's now my biggest mob of Orc's and they still have choppas and are tough.

What to do?

One 60x Horde, 10x6 with 40 shots. Just leave them on a flank.

Two 30x Hordes, 10x3 with 25 shots. One horde on each flank.

Two 30x mobs, 6x5 with 12 shots (when not in horde only rank 1 and 2 shoot?)
Keep these in with the main combat mobs to actually fight.

Full command with these are well, or just a musician?

Malorian
20-10-2011, 21:44
What to do?

I just PMed you my address ;)

Take 2 units of 30. One for each flank.

Add banners if you are worried about blood and glory.

Add musicians if you are worried about fast cav.

Add a champ if you were dropped on your head as an infant.

sssk
20-10-2011, 21:53
I agree. Even though they're orcs, they aren't that bad at hitting stuff with arrows. So you pressure the opponent with your 25 shots per unit per turn, they go "oh no, I'm getting shot... better charge in", then you give them a proper clobbering with choppas.

Very good unit... though they do take up a fair bit of space (10x25mm bases is a fairly hefty footprint)

stashman
20-10-2011, 23:10
Go 60 and a goblin with the spider banner!!! 10 wide

JingoJackson
21-10-2011, 01:57
I just PMed you my address ;)

Take 2 units of 30. One for each flank.

Add banners if you are worried about blood and glory.

Add musicians if you are worried about fast cav.

Add a champ if you were dropped on your head as an infant.

Thanks, I was leaning that way. Two 10x3 hordes? I was probably dropped on my head. I will take a full command because I love the "completeness" of having those models in the mob! Swap them out if need be.

I agree. Even though they're orcs, they aren't that bad at hitting stuff with arrows. So you pressure the opponent with your 25 shots per unit per turn, they go "oh no, I'm getting shot... better charge in", then you give them a proper clobbering with choppas.

Very good unit... though they do take up a fair bit of space (10x25mm bases is a fairly hefty footprint)

I think I'll leave them on the flanks, my other four mobs are 30 Orcs with extra choppa, 30 Black Orcs (just 15 at the moment, looking for more old metal ones). 30 Orcs with sheilds and choppa and 40 Night Goblins with spears and shields and two NG Big Bosses with GW. That hold the centre.

I'll make two other movement trays so I can reform them if they need ranks for combat.

Go 60 and a goblin with the spider banner!!! 10 wide

That would have to be a Goblin BSB with the spider banner to allow that?

Oogie boogie boss
21-10-2011, 10:38
Thanks to the volley fire rule, if you go deeper, half a rank after the first 2 can fire, so if you deploy them 6x5, you'll get 21 shots from each unit, but also make them more combat durable.
Might be something to think about.