PDA

View Full Version : 2000p vs O&G

Olannon
21-10-2011, 21:57
For the full report with integrated images etc, see this link - http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=35318&p=733123#p733123

First report in a long time! Unfortunately, this is only a 2000 points game, but it shows a bit with regards to how my new list is going to work out. My opponent was new to 8th edition and hadn't played since 6th edition. Regardless, he played well and had a tough list to crack.

:: Honour & Valour ::

My new list:

Unkillable Life Archmage
BSB, great weapon, armour of caledor, dawnstone

34 Spearelves, full command and flame banner
14 Archers, musician

30 White Lions, full command and Banner of Sorcery
5 Dragon Princes
6 Swordmasters, Bladelord

2 Eagles
1 Repeater

His list:

Black Orc Warboss, 2+ armour save, 4+ ward save
Black Orb BSB
2x Goblin Shaman, one dispel scroll

20 SpearOrcs
20 Additional hand weapon Big uns
20 Bow goblins
20 Spear goblins
20 Black Orcs

Rock Lobba
Spear Chucka
Doom Diver
3 Wolf Chariots
1 Orc Chariot

:: Pre-battle thoughts & deployment::

Magic: I got a perfect combination of regen, flesh to stone, throne, regrowth, dwellers

A solid list indeed, especially for one who hasn't played in 8th edition! Those chariots were a real headache... Magic-wise he got 1, 3, 4 and 6 from Little Waaagh. I won deployment roll and got first turn due to +1 for finishing deployment first (since he was new, we played battle line).

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l200/Olannon/2kOG/2000_OG_Deployment.jpg

Note: my small unit of Swordmasters held the left flank (hence the weird movement from his orc chariot) but had no impact throughout the game. Since I forgot to put them in the diagram I didn't bother to go back and change it due to this.

:: High Elves Turn 1 ::

Full speed ahead! I was hoping to disrupt his flank opposite my Dragon Princes and Spearelves and then combo-shatter his middle. My left Eagle moved up into the tower, forcing 2 fanatics from the bowunit of goblins. Having no good way to put them, he shot them into the hill to kill them off. Magic was 9v4 and I got throne through, followed by regen lions and T7 spears. Perfect! Shooting wounded one of his chariots twice.

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l200/Olannon/2kOG/2000_OG_Turn_1_Curu_Olannons_Vindicators_2k.jpg

:: Orcs Turn 1 ::

Cautious moves on his part. Magic was 12 v 6 but nothing major happened. His shooting phase saw the Doom Diver misfire, being unable to shoot for this turn and the next. The Rock Lobber missed the Dragon Princes, as did the chucka.

So far, so good!

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l200/Olannon/2kOG/2000_OG_Turn_1_Nicos_Orcs.jpg

:: High Elves Turn 2 ::

Eagle charges lobber and this releases 2 more fanatics, this time from the speargoblins. He opted to move them towards Lions. I move up to get my units in place for the right flank. I present the Spears as the only real viable target, the Eagle blocking his Big Uns' charge on my Dragon Princes.

Magic however screwed me over as I get 9v4 but fail my flesh to stone on 2d6. Sigh, no magic - at this point I really could've used it too.

Shooting sees my archers + repeater take down the 2 fanatics - phew!

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l200/Olannon/2kOG/2000_OG_Turn_2_Curu_Olannons_Vindicators_2k.jpg

:: Orcs Turn 2 ::

He combo-charges my Lions with a chariot and the speargoblins. The Big Uns and Spearorcs combo-charge my Spearelves. He declares waaagh as well and a wolf chariot charges my eagle in combat with the rock lobber (that fight was uneventful until now by the way).

Magic sees him get 9v6, resulting in bad moon going off (I failed to dispel by 1!) but it doesn't do anything interesting throughout the entire game (hence I didn't include it in my diagram). Gork'll fix it also lands on my White Lions (re-roll all successful 6's). Sigh...

Shooting - his Rock Lobber is engaged, Doom Diver disabled, chucka misses.

Combat sees my Spears due fairly well, killing about as many as they lose. Naenor the BSB was wounded twice by S5 big uns and I failed both armour saves - luckily both were saved on the re-roll! I still lose though, due to waaagh and charge, but hold on the re-roll! The chariot kills my Eagle and we're left with the central combat.

Here, I over-dedicated against the Chariot, killing it twice over and even more so. Don't really know why I did that, anyways the result is that I lose combat by 3 but hold on the re-roll (thank you stubborn!). I lost about 8 Lions and he lost 5 Goblins + Chariot.

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l200/Olannon/2kOG/2000_OG_Turn_2_Nicos_Orcs.jpg

:: High Elves Turn 3 ::

At this point my opponent announces that he has to leave fairly soon, effectively making this the last turn.

My Dragon Princes charges the Big Uns. Eagle tries for the Chucka but can't reach it.

Magic: 9v4 - I get throne off, but flesh to stone is dispelled, and regrowth is scrolled.

Shooting sees me kill the chucka.

Combat - my Dragon Princes really put the hurt on the Big Uns and my Spears kill quite a few Spearorcs. They both break and flee but are caught by the Dragon Princes' 11" pursuit move. The Spears reform to face the center.

The other combat is a disaster - I kill lots of Goblins but fail my restrain roll, overrunning into the Black Orcs (11" away!). Perfect, just perfect. Here I have 19 Lions remaining and his entire army is about to come crashing home into me.

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l200/Olannon/2kOG/2000_OG_Turn_3_Curu_Olannons_Vindicators_2k.jpg

:: Orcs Turn 3 ::

He charges my Lions with a chariot and the bowgoblins (which has 2 shamans in it!), intent on bringing them down. His chariot charges my Eagle. Magic is uneventful, as is shooting.

Close combat - the eagle dies (doh!). The interesting one however is in the centre... I kill a few Black Orcs and even manage to kill a shaman. The returning onslaught leaves 7 Lions standing though, as well as Olannon. I roll my LD9 stubborn break test and get 2 5's. Naenor is nearby and I roll again, the first die turning up a 6. The second one is a 1 however, giving me the game!

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l200/Olannon/2kOG/2000_OG_Turn_3_Nicos_Orcs.jpg

:: Victory Points ::

I lost 2 Eagles.

He lost: 20 Big Uns, 20 Spearorcs, 20 Speargoblins (including 3 banners), 1 chariot, 1 chucka, 1 shaman.

A big victory to the High Elves!

:: Evaluation ::

Casting a spell with a value of 8+ on 2D6 means you fail once every 12th time. Being this aggressive with magic is hardly worth it and I need to remind myself to throw 3D6 at throne and flesh to stone.

The Lions hit hard, but die easily. With dispel scrolls, chariots etc it's hard to keep them alive for sure. Additionally, I probably should've played them more cautiously, waiting for my Spears and cavalry do to their thing on the other flank. As it turned out, their honour really saved me - as 2 crucial stubborn rolls were passed to give me the game.

Other than that, I don't think I made any huge mistakes. The Lions were a little too aggressive and the magic usage a little restless, but the right flank worked out perfectly. Had the game gone on it would've been really interesting - my Spearelves would've charged his Black Orcs' flank with nearly full strength and the magic phase could've been very interesting indeed as he was 1 shaman short and had no scrolls left.

All in all, a fairly decent game which taught me a lot about how my new army is going to play. I can't wait to get proper cavalry back through - although 5 Dragon Princes REALLY hurt, adding Saerith just makes such a big difference (basically I could've played them centre in a much more flexible role).

C&C welcome :)

Akkaryn
22-10-2011, 09:57
I do believe your mage can't take Armour of Calador.

Olannon
22-10-2011, 11:29
I beg your pardon? My mage has no magic armour. The BSB carries the AoC as specified in my roster.

Akkaryn
22-10-2011, 15:00
Apologies, Completely Mis-read your list.

Nice set of reports by the way. :)

TsukeFox
22-10-2011, 16:00
Wow- how do the elves have larger combat blocks that the orcs-?

Archis
26-10-2011, 16:45
I'm loving your reports. One thing to watch for, I think in 8th ed you have to have a pursuer pick one unit to pursue. I don't have my rulebook handy on me though, so I could be wrong. The result being that one pursuing unit can only catch and destroy one fleeing enemy.

Algovil
26-10-2011, 17:36
Nice report.

Not nice facing 30+ units for ASF high elves with small units of Orcs with Initiative 2!

Olannon
31-10-2011, 17:01
@Archis you're right, I forgot!

@Algovil - bigger combat blocks would help out here

sithdevil
03-11-2011, 05:38
Nice report

Easy to read and follow :)