PDA

View Full Version : Kislev as a stand alone army?

Anvilbrow
15-04-2006, 17:02
Is it legal anywhere to actually use Kislev as a stand-alone army in official tournaments? I'd like to do so, despite the lack of magic and lord level characters (I won't use the Czar or Czarina), but in the U.S. it is of course only allowed as Empire allied contingent.

Furthermore, would nyone have an issue with mixing the lists and using Kislev troops and heroes as the core in an Empire army, allowing the use of ice magic for battle wizards and such?

EvC
15-04-2006, 17:19
I think you could easily use Kislev-themed troops in place of the regular Empire forces, but I don't think everyone would let you use Ice Magic for battle wizards.

prince olthin
15-04-2006, 19:00
if you wanted to make your magic more fluffy just take the lore of fire and change all the names. Instead of fire wall for example have ice wall. :p

WiCkEdRock
15-04-2006, 21:21
Ice Wall 12+

Any model close to it gets uncomfortably stiff nipples and do not dare to cross the insta-ice. Whenever a model crosses the wall of ice, it slips when on top of it and lands on its bum, counting as being hit with a strength 4 hit.

Festus
15-04-2006, 21:40
Hi

Kislev is a stand alone army, which can be used as an allied contingent... or vice versa, an allied contingent, which can be used as a stand alone army:

The Kislev rules say:

"Though you may use an Allies Contingent list to field a full army of several thousand points, the list is by its nature limited in comparison to a full army list."

So the rules let you play it by its own (as I do: an all mounted Kislev list: no mages, but stubborn Ld 9 8 Heroes all the way.. very useful.)

Greetings
Festus

edit: Boyars are Ld 8 of course, my fault entirely... (Why oh why do the numbers 8 and 9 lie side by side on my keyboard...? :cries: )

Sandlemad
15-04-2006, 22:06
Stubborn with full cavalry? How well does that work?

EvC
15-04-2006, 22:27
Now I see why Festus was so interested in getting rules for a War Wagon ;)

RGB
15-04-2006, 22:42
Stubborn Ld 9?

Isn't it Ld 8 for the Boyar?

Anvilbrow
16-04-2006, 06:23
Festus,

I know I can legally use the army as a stand alone as it is, my question is more that I'd like to combine the two armies, and rather than have it be an Empire army with Kislev allies, I'd use all Kislev troops with Empire characters (well two anyway), simply because while the stubborn Boyars are nice, they are LD 8. I prefer the Ld 9 of the Elector Count, and as an Elector provides no special rules, really all I'm doing is paying the extra for one point of leadership, a wound and the ability to take more than 50 points of magic. As for magic itself, with NO magical defense, I simply want to take a single level 2 with Ice Magic, which although it is a nice lore, with a single mage it simply cannot overpower anyone.

I gues what I'm looking for is the idea of fielding a Kislev army with Empire allies! (or a Kislev Lord who isn't a SC.

Anvilbrow
16-04-2006, 06:42
By the way Festus and others interested. My tentative list is in the List forum. I use a War Wagon as well that I've converted to have all Kislevite crew from Mordheim, but I use Counts as Von Zeppel Steam Tank (against my better judgement). If there are current rules for the War Wagon available somewhere that are official, or at least from GW/WD or something I would appreciate a point in the right direction.

I'd go ahead and use the 4th ed rules in the Empire book, but I'm pretty sure those are not necessarily accurate for this edition...

Festus
16-04-2006, 10:05
Hi

Stubborn with full cavalry? How well does that work?

Stubborn with light cavalry attacking from the side as a tarpit works extremely well :evilgrin:

They bind the opponent's unit from the flank until the medium/heavy cavalry attacks and crushes them...

Anvilbrow-
it is not possible to do things the way you want to. Either you have to use Kislev on its own, or you have to have an Empire Army, and you attach Kislevite allies to this.

Note that Kislev doesn't even have access to DoW themselves, so are *very* limited in choices. If you play purely Kislev, the Kossars are not worth it, as they will be the only infantry block around, getting left behind very easily. And with no War Machines or Mages at your disposal, you will have to go for the enemy's army's throat as quickly as possible.

Greetings
Festus

Anvilbrow
16-04-2006, 15:08
Yeah, I suspected so. Luckily my gaming friends allow me to use the list, likely even in tournaments at the local store. I just won't be able to play in any sanctioned GW events.

Perhaps there will someday be a trial list with mages, Lord and the old War Wagon with new rules...

Crazy Harborc
16-04-2006, 18:49
Yeah, I suspected so. Luckily my gaming friends allow me to use the list, likely even in tournaments at the local store. I just won't be able to play in any sanctioned GW events.

Perhaps there will someday be a trial list with mages, Lord and the old War Wagon with new rules...

You said it here so I won't.You've got some decent opponents/friends who seem to understand sportsmanship and having fun are more important than button counting and rules lawyering.

I would be tempted to use Empire pistoliers (cossacks) with my Kislev army. I don't have it yet. I do like the minies, I do NOT like the lack of armour for some of the troops.

heldane
17-04-2006, 11:27
Hey all.

How about allying the kislev into a dogs of war army?

Sure in a 2000 point game you'd be allowed no more than 1000 points of kislev, but you can get around it.

Thats my plan anyway.

My paymaster (who counts as a battle standard) has been modelled as a boyar battle standard, my other 2 hero choices are DOW wizards, who use ice magic when my opponents let me.

Core choices are 4 units of light cavalry with bows (horse archer models) and a unit of heavy cavalry (winged lancers).

For the kislev contingent I'll use a boyar, 2 units of winged lancers and a unit of gryphon legion.

Well thats the plan I've got anyway. Will it work and does it sound ok?

Cheers

Dan

Gorbad Ironclaw
17-04-2006, 12:22
I'd be careful with using the same Kislev models (Winged Lancers) for two different kind of units. Could end up being very confusing if you don't have a clear way to tell them apart. Aside from that, it sounds fine.

Commissar Vaughn
17-04-2006, 13:16
i just use the DoW list. you only need two options: heavy and light cav plus a few characters inc the LD 9 mercenary general. model the paymaster with a banner and yer sorted!

Stouty
17-04-2006, 15:04
Aye, mixing DoW cavalry and the kislev cavalry could get a wee bit confusing. Best to pick one and stick to it OR only give the wings to the kislev cavalry and some contrasting paint schemes would be good.