PDA

View Full Version : DE Dreadlord on a Dragon

Joeman169
23-10-2011, 11:41
Such an awesome model, I want to attempt a list for tournament setting? How would you kit him out? Aside from dropping the Supreme Sorceress, how would you change the list to play with him?

Here is the basic list @2500 pts I have been playing...

Supreme Sorceress-gold sigil sword, Tomb of Furion, Black Dragon Egg, Pendant of Kaeleth = 355pts

Death Hag ABSB with Caulron - rune of khaine, hand of khaine = 265pts
Sorceress lvl 2, dispell scroll = 160pts
Death hag on a Cauldron = 200

40 Corsairs - full command,Sea Serpent Standard, Handbows = 450pts
16 Warrior, xbows Standard Musician = 175
11 Warriors, xbows, musician, Standard = 125pts
6 Harpies = 66pts

40 Executioners = Full command, Standard of discipline = 525pts

Hydra = 175 pts

total 2496pts

tmarichards
23-10-2011, 12:12
I don't think you can fit him in any other way than dropping the level 4 to fit the lords allowance

Slashattack
23-10-2011, 16:19
Could you put up the magic items your characters have, and upgrades your units have so I get an idea of what your points budget is for the dragon?

Slash

Joeman169
23-10-2011, 20:38
Could you put up the magic items your characters have, and upgrades your units have so I get an idea of what your points budget is for the dragon?

Slash

Edited

I usually use the Cauldrons to give the 2 hoard unit a 5+ wards. Helps immensely for survival. Could use one to do the same for the Dragon, maybe drop the Corsairs for Warriors(spearmen).

Don Zeko
23-10-2011, 21:28
Even if you take no equipment or upgrades at all on either character, a dreadlord on a dragon and a supreme sorceress will go over your lords point limit. If you take a dragon, that means no level 4.

Joeman169
23-10-2011, 21:56
Even if you take no equipment or upgrades at all on either character, a dreadlord on a dragon and a supreme sorceress will go over your lords point limit. If you take a dragon, that means no level 4.

I plan on dropping the Supreme Sorceress, that has to happen.

I am looking for ways other than that to improve the list, and what else to change to fit him in there? And thoughts on whether the list can even be competitive at all.

Slashattack
24-10-2011, 11:53
Ok for the Dreadlord this is the build I've used, and it does pretty well as long as you don't roll as badly as I do sometimes.

Dread Lord: Black Dragon, Crown of Command, Dragonhelm, Pendant of Khaleth, Soul Render, Heavy Armour, Sea Dragon Cloak, Shield.

He comes in at about 570pts. He has 4 strength 6 armour piercing attacks, a 1+ armour save against shooting, a 2+ armour in close combat, the reverse ward save, a 2+ ward against flaming attacks, and is stubborn leadership 10 so he won't be running from combat quickly.

And the dragon is well a dragon...

To fit him in just remove your non-BSB cauldron of blood, and drop your supreme sorceress. The only problem with this is that your magic phase will be weak, so maybe invest in a second normal sorceress with the tome of furion and seal of ghrond.

To get the second sorceress and not to compromise your current army dynamics, I'd trim off 10 of your executioners, and drop rune of khaine, and manbane from your Death Hag BSB. It would be nice if you could remove ten of your corsairs however, you need all of them to fill up your minimum core.

I hope this helps.

Slash

Joeman169
25-10-2011, 20:31
How about this list, I kinda my Corsairs better than the Spearmen, but thought I may try this for a bit. Go 5 wide with the spearmen, and with points saved over the Corsauir Unit, I get another xbow unit and an extra banner in case of a Blood and Glory Scenario. I have no Supreme Sorceress, so to help with Dispels I went with the Ring of Hotek. It is seldom used anymore because it is less cheesy now, but kinda kool/tricky to have it on a Dragon which will be in your face on turn 2. Use the Cauldron to give the Dragon a Ward if there are canons about and then go kill stuff. I have played in several large tournament since 8th edition and have yet to play an army with a Canon in it. I have seen them present, just been lucky I guess..... that is until you take a Dragon;) I expect more Canons now too since the Ogres have their fancy new weapon too. Anyways, what do you think of this list??

Dreadlord Black Dragon,Cloak of Hag Graef, Ring of Hotek,Crown of Command 560pts

Death Hag Battle Standard Bearer, Cauldron of Blood 225pts
Sorceress Dispel Scroll, Dark Magic Lore 160pts

38x Warriors, w/spears, full command, Banner of Eternal Flame 298pts
5x Harpies 55pts
10xRepeater Crossbowmen , musician, Standard 115pts

37xExecutioners, full command,Standard of Discipline 501pts

Hydra 175pts
Hydra 175pts

tmarichards
25-10-2011, 20:34
A couple of seconds editing that would make it a fair bit easier to read, also the mods are never very happy about direct copy and paste from AB

Joeman169
25-10-2011, 23:29
A couple of seconds editing that would make it a fair bit easier to read, also the mods are never very happy about direct copy and paste from AB

Done and Done

tmarichards
26-10-2011, 06:31
Banner of flame on Warriors isn't a great idea, with just 1 s3 attack each they won't worry abombs or hydras in the slightest, even if the Cauldron buffs them up to 2 attacks.

Slashattack
26-10-2011, 10:51
The second list isn't bad. There's still a little bit of tuning to do, but it should be ready to go afterwards.

The Lord on the Dragon needs a weapon, full mundane armour and a ward save of his own. The cauldron only has a range of 24" so its not always going to be in range with such a fast unit. Secondly if the dragon and the executioners are in combat at the same time you won't be able to buff the each of them. The ring of hotek is a nice item. However, when your Lord hits combat your going to want a ward save. I suggest you have a look at my build, or atleast take the concept and lower the defence for a stronger offence on the lord. At the end of the day you decide how you want to run the dragon, but I recommend reconsidering his load out.

Otherwise the list looks good, just change lore on the sorceress maybe to shadow.

Slash