PDA

View Full Version : Kislev/Empire List

Anvilbrow
15-04-2006, 16:27
My buddies and I like to try new things to be fluffy and my newest addition is a Kislev force. However, as Kislev is not a stand alone army, I mix and match them with Empire. Tell me if you think this army is over the top for any reason.

Elector Count, warhorse, light armor, shield, White Cloak, Dragon Bow (with Gryphon Legon) using the Elector Count of Ostland model
Battle Wizard, warhorse, level 2, Dispel Scroll, Luckstone (we have a house rule- no multiple dispel scrolls on one model) using Ice magic- I use the old Amber wizard with the bear skin cloak
Boyar, heavy armor, great weapon, bow (with Kossars)
Boyar, heavy armor, great weapon, bow (with Kossars)

19 Kossars, full command
19 Kossars, full command
8 Winged Lancers, full command
8 Winged Lancers, full command
5 horse archers, musician, champion
5 horse archers, musician, champion
7 Gryphon Legion, full command, War Banner
War Wagon (counts as Von Zeppel Steam Tank, all the crew is converted from Mordheim Kislevites to hold the experimental weapons)

That's it. Personally, I don't think the army is over the top. I don't like using Stanks, but for the fluffy centerpiece the War Wagon was too good to resist, and it looks nice. Some of the choices are purely fluff, for example, why White Cloak instead of Holy Relic? It makes him immune to cold magic spells!

I strive not to make competitive armies so much as themed armies, so what do you think? I personally feel that Kislev on its own is not viable simply because of the limited characters and magic items. This is my attempt to fix that.

Festus
16-04-2006, 09:25
Hi

I strive not to make competitive armies so much as themed armies, so what do you think? I personally feel that Kislev on its own is not viable simply because of the limited characters and magic items. This is my attempt to fix that.

As said on the other thread, this list is not legal, nut if it is fine with your mates, it is fine with me :)

My personal opinion:
If you want to play Kislev then go for it, and don't try to cover up their weaknesses with an illegal list (Ld increase for your General? Pick an Empire EC!)
I play quite a few resticted lists and always find it a very enjoyable challenge to overcome the weaknesses through clever tactics and good playing. Kislev has a few strong points going for it and doesn't need Empire help: Stubborn Heroes go a long way to enhance the army, as every unit joined by them becomes stubborn as well. Learn to use it, it is a game-making ability.
Kislev has excellent light cavalry, with BS 4 and bows, they are a steal. My army has 5 units of them.
And the medium/heavy cavalry is not too shabby either. They have M8, are relatively cheap, can cause panic tests and, combined with a Boyar can run down any unit in the game. If you need any help in it, consider flanking the enemy with your fast cav and tarpit him with the Boyar in this unit.

In larger games, you should include one of the special characters as those are firstly *more fluffy* than a STank variant and second go a long way to compensate the weaknesses.
The Tsar is a very good and competent leader and the Tsarina supplies you with Ice Magic: IMNSHO one of the most potent tactical lores in the game.

Greetings
FEstus

Anvilbrow
16-04-2006, 14:15
I have played the all Kislev force by adding two more Boyars, two more units of Ungols, and another unit of kossars. The Kossars, each led by a Boyar, are hard to move, especially as one of the Boyars is a contingent standard. Unfortunately, fear, panic ad magic are the death of the army.

Many of the players where I play go very magic heavy- Tzeentch, Lizardmen, Sylvania, VC, Tomb Kings or have alot of terror/fear Chaos, Beasts, Lizards, Ogres, Undead of all kinds. I have found that stubborn is of limited use obviously against fear causing armies...

Ld 9 allows me to pass a fair percentage more fear tests to charge as well as avoid the inevitabe panic tests...