PDA

View Full Version : Ogres...SMASH! [2400pts Tournament List]

Quannum
24-10-2011, 12:19
Played several games (roughly 15) with the new Ogres book, tweaking and altering a list I posted here not so long ago; finding out what works and what doesn't seem to work; optimal character builds; unit sizes.

Taking all things into account I have emerged with the following list. You may frown at the fact that the SM is completely naked but he has only ever died once...to a miscast; Maw Magic is a wondrous thing for the healing attribute alone. Furthermore, seeing first hand the destructive potential (both in shooting and in combat) of larger units of Leadbelchers accompanied by a Firebelly, it's been working wonders for me. Firebellies really are a golden addition to the OK.

Should Hellheart be banned (which quite frankly would be ridiculous considering the Magic phase does need to be nullified at times) then I'll pop a Dispel Scroll on the 'Belly, take off the 'Belchers musician and put Crown of Command on my SM.

I think I've hit the nail on the head with this one...do you?

Level 4 Slaughtermaster - Level 4 Upgrade, Lore of the Great Maw (joins Ironguts)

Bruiser - BSB Upgrade, Heavy Armour, Enchanted Shield, Talisman of Preservation (joins Ogres)

Level 1 Firebelly - Additional Hand Weapon, Hellheart (joins Leadbelchers to add punch).

10 Gnoblars - Trappers (deployed 10x1 to act as a dragnet on one flank)

7 Ironguts - SB, Musician, Banner of Discipline, Lookout Gnoblar (deployed in 4x2).

7 Ogres - SB, Musician, Lookout Gnoblar (deployed in 4x2).

7 Leadbelchers - Musician

4 Mournfang Cavalry - SB, Musician, Heavy Armour, Ironfists

4 Mournfang Cavalry - SB, Musician, Heavy Armour, Ironfists

1 Sabretusk

1 Sabretusk

1 Ironblaster

TOTAL - 2399pts.

bildo
24-10-2011, 12:23
well your rather pricey lord has no protection what so ever, i can ignore teh fact he has great maw, even though i would swap out the firebelly for a lvl 2 with gm and then give the lvl4 fire if fire is what your after.

10_minute_pie
26-10-2011, 21:32
Earthing rod on your slaughtermaster. Reroll that dimensional cascade! I've yet to field my fledgling ogre army, but on paper, a 4+ ward feels overkill on the BSB since he can't be killing blowed. Just how much damage does he end up soaking up?

Draven54
05-11-2011, 17:56
Do you find not having Champions in either of your IG/Bull units cause you any issues for challenges? Not sure if I would want my SM or BSB being challenged by any ones Killy Lord.

Morax
07-11-2011, 12:07
Personally I don't like firebellys but if you like him cool. I would however shift the hellheart to the SM as he will be closer to the enemy in the marching unit of ironguts then the belly will be in the slow moving unit of lead belchers.

I would drop the 4++ on the BSB for another sabretusk. The BSB is unlikely to need that much protection with T5 and 4 wounds. A 2++ should get him by just fine. You may have to be a little more selective about where he is in a unit the turn before you charge to avoid characters but that should be easy enough.

All in all a nice list. I like units of 12 ogres instead of 8 for the added flexibility but meh, both would work just fine.

On a side note if you decided to give the SM a bit of defensive gear I would suggest the fencer blades. WS10 is hard to get through with him regenerating wounds and the +1 attack and pretty much always needing 3's to hit is a nice bit of offensive boost too.