PDA

View Full Version : how many big things

sarcasmo
15-04-2006, 20:31
i am starting a dark elf army in a 3000 pt tale of 4 gamerz thingy with some friends and wasnt sure what to take...

my initial instincts say take a lord on a dragon and 2 beastmasters on manticores 9if i have enough hero choices i can remember) or fill up on sorceresesess and then to take 6 cold one chariots and 3 hydras...

then just fill up on xbowmen/spearmen....

is this enough big things?

Frecus
15-04-2006, 22:32
My preference would lie at 2 dragons and two sorceresses, but if you enjoy manticores more, the more power to you.

Three hydras... Provide great modelling opportunities, but I'm not sure if you'll get enough from the on the tabletop. Many people tell me they're often not worth it.

But I'll say go for it. One can never have something like too much big gribblies.

*roots for plastic dragon from rumours*

Frecus
The glade wanderer
Madwarrior

raged_norm
15-04-2006, 22:47
hmmm

Sounds like Mad Doc Grotsnik's DE army... only bigger.

go for it, I like less usual compositions

Flypaper
16-04-2006, 03:17
Coolness-wise, why not go for variety?

You've got six hero slots at 3K (two of them Lords), so you can fit a total of three monstrous mounts but won't have any slots left for magic defense.

Tactics-wise, don't forget that Terror tests don't "stack" - so you may find more than two Terror-causing beasties redundant in that regard. That doesn't stop them from hitting hard, mind you. :)

Large monsters are usually at their best sweeping away support troops. Against ranks they're going to have more difficulties, so I'd suggest taking enough shooting/magic to knock a rank or two off the other guy's infantry before you charge in.

Gorbad Ironclaw
16-04-2006, 06:13
Thats why both the DE big flying monsters remove ranks, so flank the units!

Anyway, I find more than a few redundant. I'd say a Dragon, a Pegasus, or if you really want, a Manticore and maybe a Hydra, that should be plenty.

lee
16-04-2006, 13:08
go for a lord on a dragon:D and some mages

Arduhn
16-04-2006, 23:33
What about this: a lord on dragon, a sorc lord on peg (maybe with death mask to get more terror), a beastmaster on manticore, and a sorceress. This gives you lots of mobility and terror, and still lots of magic. Then you could also take some hydras (maybe two and then two bolt throwers, that's my suggestion).

Scythe
17-04-2006, 14:39
You've got six hero slots at 3K (two of them Lords), so you can fit a total of three monstrous mounts but won't have any slots left for magic defense.

Well, you could put the lords on manticores instead of dragons, and spare 2 character slots for magical defense....

Or spend them on another beastmaster on manticore, giving you 4 manticores...:D

Flypaper
18-04-2006, 04:13
...Wait, don't Manticores take up a hero choice?

My friend-with-the-DE-book currently has his DE book as opposed to me having borrowed it like I usually do (the cad! :p ).

samw
18-04-2006, 04:28
...Wait, don't Manticores take up a hero choice?

My friend-with-the-DE-book currently has his DE book as opposed to me having borrowed it like I usually do (the cad! :p ).

Only if a beastmaster is riding them.

Scythe
18-04-2006, 09:27
samw is correct. Otherwise there would be not much reason to get a Manticore instead of a Dragon for your lord I assume.