PDA

View Full Version : Kjell's 2nd ed. haul

Kjell
15-04-2006, 22:10
So, right, in the city I live in there's this annual board/tabletop/roleplaying games convention called GothCon. There are tournaments, general events, stores with discount prices and oddball stuff and, of course, an auction. Since this is GothCon's 30th anniversary the auction was bigger than usual. I presume it was, anyway, since I don't remember there being as much junk as last year. There was probably hundreds of items being auctioned out.

To cut a long story short, among these were certain older GW products. I managed to lay my hands on the following things:

2nd ed. WH40K rule book, for 30 crowns (2.2, or US$ 4)
Chaos codex, for 50 crowns (3.7, or $6.5)
Dark Millenium expansion book, for 20 crowns (1.5, or $2.6)
Dark Millenium expansion box with probably rather a lot more cards than normal, for the same I got the Chaos codex for. I was the only bidder, though...

Along with the 5th ed WHFB Chaos books. But they're not important right now. What is important, however, is that I think I have enough to at least play with Chaos warbands. The wargear book, the Codex Imperialis and the expanded vehicle rules book was also up for grabs but I didn't get that I could rather have had use for them until I got the rule book. At that time, they were already sold. If I had wanted to, I could've bid on the 2nd ed. Imperial Guard and Eldar codexes but those didn't really interest me much. So now I'm wondering partly if I'll really miss not having those books and partly if there's any other book I should keep an eye out for. Apart from another codex. ;)

Even though I don't have a single wargear card for such basic things as regular bolt pistols, power weapons, chain swords and chain axes and even though I have no Sustained Fire dice and only half of the funky multiple blast template I am overall pleased. I'm going to have some fun painting up the 2nd ed. Plauge marines I bought, too. :D One standard bearer, three regular and one meltagunner. At least it's a minimum sized squads. Alas, the store didn't have any more in their bargain bin. They did have an assortment of Armorcast models, old Epic models, a box of Space Marine, what looked like the precursor to BFG, several Man O War ships for the dwarfs, 2nd ed. Ork Smasha gun and so on. Plenty of retro-ness to be had for the longtime GW fan.

So, yeah, all in all a good day. I was there for nine hours, five of which was at the auction. Five hours in one go. Man, I'm tired now...

And I really got to say that I'm rather hooked on all the little cards and funny templates. Hand flamer template? Foot template with print on both sides so you can have a right foot or a left foot attack? Death wave template? 2" templates? 1" (!) templates? So awesome.

kris.sherriff
15-04-2006, 22:32
Ah the templatey goodness of 2nd ed I remember it well. Do you have the thud gun templat?
Kris

Kjell
15-04-2006, 22:36
The little line of four round templates? I have, uh, half of it. #3 and #4, in fact. I don't have a Thudd gun, anyway, so no great loss. But it does take the prize for the single funkiest template I have ever heard about. Seriously, it's a work of genius!

kris.sherriff
15-04-2006, 22:41
Oh and read the rules for the vortex grenade and then think that every one of your vetran sargents can have one mmmm:cheese:

Flame Boy
15-04-2006, 23:09
Well, you were only allowed as many items of a single kind of wargear as you had wargear cards (as fars as I remember) and there were 2 vortex grenade wargear cards in my 40k box, so that means if you only had 2 veteran segeants that statement would be correct. :p

The Thudd gun template was also used for the venom cannon and the incendiary bombing strategy card, so it did have it's uses sometimes. Just not very often.

Brimstone
16-04-2006, 08:02
Even though I don't have a single wargear card for such basic things as regular bolt pistols, power weapons, chain swords and chain axes and even though I have no Sustained Fire dice and only half of the funky multiple blast template I am overall pleased.

Basic weapons didn't have wargear cards their details are in the 'wargear' book that came with the rulebook and codex imperialis.

You can get most of the details on imperial weapons from the Necromunda living rulebook though.

I hope you enjoy it, 2nd edition was a little clunky at times but fun, there are a few things in it I wish still existed in the current edition.

Orbital
16-04-2006, 08:06
I hope you enjoy it, 2nd edition was a little clunky at times but fun, there are a few things in it I wish still existed in the current edition.

Like what?

Sheik Yerbouti
16-04-2006, 08:12
Like grenades being usable as weapons

Brimstone
16-04-2006, 08:13
The Psychic phase, I know it slowed down the game but I liked it.

My Tyranid event table :cries:

Col. Dash
16-04-2006, 08:30
I think you could only ever have one vortex grenade in your army and I think at most 3 wargear cards per character, not vet sarges.

Ardathair
16-04-2006, 08:57
The Whirlwind originaly used the Thudd Gunn template.

My Tyranid event table

That and the Hallucinogen grenade were why I named every Imperial Guardsman I have. "Jones is acting funny." no one named Jones here boss.:p Never got a chance to use that excuse but it cracked me up everytime I heard about it.

Dawn of the Dogs
16-04-2006, 09:04
2nd edition was a little clunky at times but fun, there are a few things in it I wish still existed in the current edition.

conversion beamers?

athamas
16-04-2006, 09:28
what was good

ASM...

weapons that could put a dent in the big nasties.. [dammage from heavy weapons]
tanks that could actually take a pounding!

there is 3 good reasons! [ok there are equally as many bad reasons!]

Flame Boy
16-04-2006, 10:05
The Psychic phase, I know it slowed down the game but I liked it.

My Tyranid event table :cries:

I totally agree. My opponents always groaned when my Farseers and Warlocks tried to Doom everything on the table and use Executioner to poke anything scary from across the table. Fond memories...

I also miss 2nd edition Warp Spiders, they weren't very effective against Marines but oh boy could they carve through orks.

Gorbad Ironclaw
16-04-2006, 11:47
Well, they did also do a number on marines. -2 save, so they only had a 5+ save, and when you can put down 8 of those heavy flamer templates, someone is going to get hit.

I can't remember how much of the weapons details there are in the various codex. But you might need the Wargear book to get the rules for all the weapons. Especially the funky ones.

And the Vortex grenade trip only last until someone brings a fast vehicle with a Vortex Detenator :p

StugMeister
16-04-2006, 12:02
2nd ed was so good. I'm so disappointed with the latest edition of 40K, it just doesn't seem to have the character that 2nd ed did.

Spell_of_Destruction
16-04-2006, 12:22
2nd edition was an absolute mess of a game and in its basic form was beyond broken.

However, in an gaming group with established house rules it made for an excellent game. Far more fun and rewarding than 3rd or 4th ed.

Kjell
16-04-2006, 19:11
Basic weapons didn't have wargear cards their details are in the 'wargear' book that came with the rulebook and codex imperialis.

It's good that the basic weaponry, and even some non-basic, have their profiles in the back of the rulebook. I noticed that upon closer inspection. So, I'm not lacking quite as much as I thought. I don't have any Hidden markers or "Slaanesh markers", but those aren't really necessary and can easily be substituted. The "burning" rule that flamethrowers have isn't mentioned in the rulebook, I don't think. I haven't found it, at least. Flamerthrowers cost more than plasma guns!

Oh, by the way, squad leader characters get up to one wargear card. Aspiring Champions do, anyhow, so it's not unreasonable to assume that Veteran Sergeants do, too.

I've got plenty of vehicle cards. Not that I know what to do with a Squat bike, anyway. :o

Overall, there are way too many murderously powerful items and psychic powers in the game for it to be left entirely unrestricted. I mean... Powers that kill automatically without any armour save allowed? That's crazy. No wonder psykers got toned down as much as they did. I also see why the wargear cards got the shaft. It's really kind of pointless to have actual cards for something that could just as easily be in the list or even a separate book. Which 2nd ed. did have. :p

Daemons are lovably funky, though, even if it's odd that Plaugebearers are T3. A basic Chaos Marine with the nearly same profile as today costing 25 points is also very funky. At least it's easy to get a 1,500 pts force. I just have to figure out what to arm each model with...

Speaking of models, I've opened the Plauge Marine blisters I got and started messing around with what to arm them with. I'm using modern CSM arms, shoulderpads, bolters and backpacks simply because I think they look better. There's been a bit of size creep, actually, but it's not that big a deal. Did I ever say that they are great minis? :p

kris.sherriff
16-04-2006, 21:04
Well, you were only allowed as many items of a single kind of wargear as you had wargear cards (as fars as I remember) and there were 2 vortex grenade wargear cards in my 40k box, so that means if you only had 2 veteran segeants that statement would be correct. :p .

I think you are forgetting that they made rules for how common types of wargear were. You had real special stuff Frost fang, The Red Grail, Lion Helm etc was only ever 1. Rare stuff was as many cards as you had and you were alowed to photocopy them. and common stuff was only one card needed for asmany as you wanted. Oh and you can upgrade a sargent to a vet sarge for somany points giving him accses to one wargeer card. The aformentioned Vortex Grenade.

Do you also have the stratergy cards? Check out the Virus Outbreak one. Its just sick and wrong, most people I know just ripped it up as it was a tiny bit overpowerd

Dam I loved 2nd ed.

Kris

athamas
16-04-2006, 21:14
i have heard of a virus grenade taking out an entire ork army bar the 1 single unit mounted in looted rhino, due to it targetign the grot screen, and thus could effect every unit!

kris.sherriff
16-04-2006, 21:21
i have heard of a virus grenade taking out an entire ork army bar the 1 single unit mounted in looted rhino, due to it targetign the grot screen, and thus could effect every unit!

I know its just wrong.:D Thats why space marines were so good in 2nd ed all the equipment that they got as standard.:cool:

lapis_lazuli
16-04-2006, 21:25
Heh, those were the days. My friend loved his huge Imperial Guard force until the day it was wiped out almost to a man by a virus grenade!